Lowrance Endura touchscreen series

Well, I went ahead and did it! We have 2 perfectly fine Lowrance GPSrs (iFinders Expedition C and H2O C) and a PDA for paperless caching. With no need to upgrade, I went to hodgesmarine.com and found myself ordering the Endura Sierra. Total cost was $425. It's almost as if an occult hand reached down and ... never mind, I'm not Vinny! When a new gadget comes out I usually wait for the bugs to get worked out before I buy. However, I've had such great luck and product support with my current GPSrs that I feel secure in preordering the Sierra. After reading the literature, I couldn't resist. It should ship out next month and I will report back after I play with it for awhile.

Looks like all the online suppliers are raising their prices on the Sierra already. Most up to $435.00 now and they started at $420.00. I was thinking they may drop a bit, but I guess not. I did find one out there actually lower than I have ever seen before too though. $402.00 and free shiping for the Sierra. Does anyone know how much the turn by turn is going to cost on this thing? I do understand it has 30 days free turn by turn when you get it.

Looks like all the online suppliers are raising their prices on the Sierra already. Most up to $435.00 now and they started at $420.00. I was thinking they may drop a bit, but I guess not. I did find one out there actually lower than I have ever seen before too though. $402.00 and free shiping for the Sierra. Does anyone know how much the turn by turn is going to cost on this thing? I do understand it has 30 days free turn by turn when you get it.

Where did you see it for $402?

Ichthys, Sent you an email with the website. Did you get my other email too. I founf the screen shots. Looks like might have the same problem as the Oregon with sunlight viewing. I don't think its too much of a problem though.

Yup, got them both. Thanks, glad you could see the screen shots.

Has anyone who has already ordered one of these units been given an estimated ship date? If not does anyone know when they will go out. I see now on http://www.gpscity.com/item-lowrance-endur...ndurasierra.htm a new estimated ship date of 6-12-09. That would kind of stick if they got bumped back again, but maybe its just this dealer.

Hodges Marine still lists the estimated ship date of 1 May. Don't know if that will hold up.

Has anyone who has already ordered one of these units been given an estimated ship date? If not does anyone know when they will go out. I see now on http://www.gpscity.com/item-lowrance-endur...ndurasierra.htm a new estimated ship date of 6-12-09. That would kind of stick if they got bumped back again, but maybe its just this dealer.

Lowrance still says they will ship in May.....

http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Outdoo...ndura-Out-Back/

Hodges Marine still lists the estimated ship date of 1 May. Don't know if that will hold up.

Hodges changed the available date to "pending". hmmmmmmm????!!!????

Is it just me or are the delays these things going through getting out of hand. They were originally to be released 5-1, then mid May, then it was 6-12 and now I am seeing not until 6-17. Looks like I won't have one as a Father's Day Gift either.

The summer will be over before I ever get to use one of these. Might just opt for the Oregon 400T or wait on the 550T.

Is it just me or are the delays these things going through getting out of hand. They were originally to be released 5-1, then mid May, then it was 6-12 and now I am seeing not until 6-17. Looks like I won't have one as a Father's Day Gift either.

The summer will be over before I ever get to use one of these. Might just opt for the Oregon 400T or wait on the 550T.

Lowrance website still says May......

GPSPassion test run in the UK.

"I was invited to take part in the European press launch of the new Lowrance Endura handhelds on June 4th in Windermere, UK, in the Lake District. While there is still some work being done on the devices, both hardware and software (like having "Track Up" for Raster Maps), they were already quite functional, so much so that we used them on the sporting/geocaching event that had been organized for us."

GPSPassion forum

I'll have to say that the screen looks much brighter than the Oregon's.

3 things that will make or break it for me:

1) If they use the Cartesio chipset no thanks. The Cartesio is a dog at slow (hiking) speeds.

2) Battery life with NIMH AA's

3) Map selection. They better come big and hopefully allow you to make your own maps for the unit from shape/raster data.