Lowrance Endura touchscreen series

Why cover the unit in buttons and have a touch screen?
Because if there aren't real buttons, some folks will gripe that it's too hard to use when wearing gloves. And if it doesn't have a touchscreen, some people will complain that it's too old fashioned.

The rest sounds good.
It does. Not available at least until May though, and pricing may not be competitive :D Not sure if this link contains any more info than Lowrance's website, but the model differentiation seems clearer to me here:

http://www.gpstracklog.com/gps_tracklog/20...nce-endura.html

Edited by lee_rimar

Awesome! Now lets just hope it works well.

Personally I don't like the idea of a touchscreen for outdoor use, I passed over the XOG for that. So I do like that is has buttons. I also see that it has road navigation (turn-by-turn) functionality through an "upgrade" or something. Hopefully they won't over complicate this process.

Why cover the unit in buttons and have a touch screen?
Because if there aren't real buttons, some folks will gripe that it's too hard to use when wearing gloves. And if it doesn't have a touchscreen, some people will complain that it's too old fashioned.

The rest sounds good.
It does. Not available at least until May though, and pricing may not be competitive :) Not sure if this link contains any more info than Lowrance's website, but the model differentiation seems clearer to me here:

http://www.gpstracklog.com/gps_tracklog/20...nce-endura.html

Pricing so far looks competitive. The Endura Sierra with the Topo maps and 3 axis compass is in shops online at just over $400.

Too bad I still have to wait another couple months to get one.

I have been using the Lowrance XOG for two weeks straight now it is a great unit I have never had a street navigator before thought I new all the roads, short cuts, back roads, of California and western Nevada I have found more with this little gem. I just got back from a 3 and a half day working trip and used the XOG for my navigation to 30 of my job sites from Bakersfield Ca. to Sacramento Ca. to Reno NV. to Mammoth Lakes Ca. to Ridgecrest Ca. then back to Bakersfield Ca. Caching all the way 155 finds out of 155.

The XOG has a nice size touch screen that works great, do not have to worry about buttons sticking.

Gets me within three feet of a cache without bouncing, every time. You need this when the cache is under a foot of snow. Make one three foot dia hole in the snow instead of a 10 to 15 foot dia hole. Works graet under under trees with thick snow covering them. Like up at Nordic, Ca.

What is even nicer is the back light is adjustable to three different settings bright for day time road navigation dim for night time diving. I like the size of the screen I do not have to use a magnify glass to see the letters and numbers of the waypoints. What Lowrance needs to make is a attachable handle to make it a hand held.

The rechargeable battery last 2 hours plus and can recharge in the car in between cache, nice.

The price for the Garmin Oregon 599.99 without street voice navigation.

The price for the Lowrance XOG 160.97 W/shipping and tax from walmart.com

Wow, time for beer thirty with louse change. 439.02 = 49 six packs of Sierra Nevada with tax and crv.

Want to party.

I wonder if it will support paperless caching?

Yes it will support paperless caching and will hold up to 3000 geocaches. I believe they will have a send to GPS function, and also direct .gpx support. Info is still coming out on them.

Check out my site linked below.

paperless with 3,000 caches, wWow. And will they have the file management system like the iFinders? If so this unit has great potential.

From the spec alone it's quite impressive. I wonder if I jumped the gun by buying the PN40

I have the Xog also and I really like it but the problem I have is the touch screen, it is so sensitive. I am brand new here and to geocaching, but have used Lowrance on my boats for years and was wondering why no one ever talked about them here.

So today I ordered the Garmin legend HCx, for the main reason for the "send to gps" feature.

From what I read, it is a nice mid level handheld. Thanks for all the info on these forums.

I am new to GPS's and would like to not mess up this tread but how do others like the Lowrance units. I almost pulled the trigger on the Oregon 300 with Topo maps and Nav maps, but found this thread to hinder my progress.

How is Lowrance tech support and firmware updating?

In the 2 years I have owned my H2Oc I have not needed to contact tech support or get a firmware update. They have a reputation for good support.

Edited by ICHTHYS

This looks very interesting. I am a little puzzled that preloaded Accutera maps will apparently fit into 4GB of internal memory. If that's an accurate phrasing, the maps must be well-compacted. This is national coverage I wonder?

I presumed the 4GB of internal memory to be user available memory.

So "preloaded" means on the card; that makes sense, and allows for more room than what internal memory provides.

Since my basis for comparison is the PN-40, it sounds like it comes in between the standard PN-40 (1GB internal memory) and the PN-40SE (8GB), and offers a level of convenience over the PN-40 in providing preloaded maps.

It appears that turn-by-turn routing will be available at an extra charge, which will make the pricing a little tougher. Does anyone know enough about how Accutera map system to know if they allow for any editing/additions?

I love my PN-40, but I'm happy for what appears to be some quality competition.

The 4 gig is internal memory for user data, not the maps. The other 2 units will use memory cards, but no internal memory.

The Sierra has internal memory and you can use memory cards for external memory.

Ichthys, where do you see that the internal memory is not used for the maps? It seems to make sense that the Sierra, which is the only one with built in user memory, also has the preloaded maps. The product literature doesn't seem to indicate that it is shipped with an SD card containing maps, but maybe you've got more information from Lowrance. It also seems like a waste of 4GB if the internal memory can't be used for maps. I guess if you wanted to download a bunch of pictures or MP3's maybe you would use some but for the normal GPS functions (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc) you are talking about 10's maybe a 100MB of data -- map data is really the only thing that requires GB's of storage.

It doesn't seem inconceivable that they could get national maps in 4GB. If I look at the Accuterra USA maps all the regions in the US take up about 2-3GB.

Very interesting unit, looking forward to reading some reviews about it. I wonder if the touchscreen is going to cause direct sun readability issues? I'm guessing yes, since most touchscreens have that problem (both my car units, my PDA, and the Garmin Oregon, to name a few), but who knows, maybe they found a way to lessen the issue? Looks like a nice form-factor, just a touch smaller than the PN-40, but a little bigger screen. If I had the money, I might think about adding another handheld to the stable!

The 4 gig is internal memory for user data, not the maps. The other 2 units will use memory cards, but no internal memory.

The Sierra has internal memory and you can use memory cards for external memory.

Ichthys, where do you see that the internal memory is not used for the maps? It seems to make sense that the Sierra, which is the only one with built in user memory, also has the preloaded maps. The product literature doesn't seem to indicate that it is shipped with an SD card containing maps, but maybe you've got more information from Lowrance. It also seems like a waste of 4GB if the internal memory can't be used for maps. I guess if you wanted to download a bunch of pictures or MP3's maybe you would use some but for the normal GPS functions (waypoints, tracks, routes, etc) you are talking about 10's maybe a 100MB of data -- map data is really the only thing that requires GB's of storage.

It doesn't seem inconceivable that they could get national maps in 4GB. If I look at the Accuterra USA maps all the regions in the US take up about 2-3GB.

The Safari has preloaded mapping content with detailed hill shading, topographic contours, primary and secondary roads and key POIs while the Sierra has premium outdoor content pre-installed, including Accuterra™ high-resolution topographic maps, extensive outdoor trails and POIs, as well as NAVTEQ® road network for contiguous 48 states.

Also, per the pdf pamphlet here http://www.enduracaching.info/web_documents/endura.pdf

Sierra:

Preloaded, advanced high-resolution topographic map content

+ Enhanced multimedia with 4GB on-board for adding maps, viewing

pictures, playing MP3’s, etc.

So I am taking it that the 4gb is for you to add stuff. The 4gb is an upgrade for the Sierra from the Safari.

Hey to the group! I am just now getting into geocaching and this is my very first post to the group. Very glad to have a forum like this that helps provide good info to a newbie like me that is currently shopping for a starter GPS.

Anyway, here is my productive part of my post - I asked the electronics guy at Bass Pro if he knew anything about these new Endura units. He said he just came back from training and they seemed pretty easy to use. The one thing that he said was that all three of the Endura GPS's have Accuterra maps on them - there are just different levels of mapping detail between the 3 loaded directly to the on-board memory. Not sure what that means for left over memory space for geocache lists on the device.

I did a search on this on the web and it seems he is right on this. I found a press release from Accuterra that gave a little more info. Here is the link. Accuterra Maps on Endura GPS . Wish now I had spent more time talking to the Bass Pro guy. :)

Anyway, looks interesting. My daughter wants to get into this so any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Treasure hunts sure sound a lot better to her than a long walk in the woods! She is 6.

Thanks again for the great information!

I too have been very excited for these to come out but there are a few things that i read on the website that haven't seen any improvement from the ifinders. The buttons on the ifinders are not illuminated and it didn't sound like they were changing this on the new ones... But this may not be an issue with the touch screen. Can't wait to play with them in the stores though.

I've never had illuminated buttons and never felt a need for them either. With a touchscreen you probably still won't, but it will depend on what functions the screen controls. But my fingers know each button and control in the dark, so it's not a feature I am looking for.

My daughter wants to get into this so any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Treasure hunts sure sound a lot better to her than a long walk in the woods! She is 6.
One of the best reasons of yet heard for getting a GPS!!!

I'd get her a Geko, especially if they had a pink one. The maps and other "Bells & Whistles" are for dad. Enter the cache coordinates into her Geko and watch her mind grow. Within a few weeks she'll be entering the coordinates and showing dad how.

cf-lg.jpg

Hey to the group! I am just now getting into geocaching and this is my very first post to the group. Very glad to have a forum like this that helps provide good info to a newbie like me that is currently shopping for a starter GPS.

Anyway, here is my productive part of my post - I asked the electronics guy at Bass Pro if he knew anything about these new Endura units. He said he just came back from training and they seemed pretty easy to use. The one thing that he said was that all three of the Endura GPS's have Accuterra maps on them - there are just different levels of mapping detail between the 3 loaded directly to the on-board memory. Not sure what that means for left over memory space for geocache lists on the device.

I did a search on this on the web and it seems he is right on this. I found a press release from Accuterra that gave a little more info. Here is the link. Accuterra Maps on Endura GPS . Wish now I had spent more time talking to the Bass Pro guy. :(

Anyway, looks interesting. My daughter wants to get into this so any advice you guys can give would be greatly appreciated. Treasure hunts sure sound a lot better to her than a long walk in the woods! She is 6.

Thanks again for the great information!

You should consider a iFinder GO2 for your daughter. This is a basic unit that still has some nice features.

Edited by Colonial Cats

Looked around to see what local stores were carrying the iFinder Go2 like you mentioned but couldn't find one that had it. Haven't seen it listed in any circulars either. Are they phasing it out?

I did see a Garmin eTrex for around $100. It is cheap enough but looks like an old design. I keep thinking I would rather pay extra for a color screen and basemap so I can tell what I am looking at. Since this discussion was started about the Endura GPS's, I went back and took a look at them again online. I did see the Endura Outback is supposed to be priced at around $200 and it has color touchscreen with a built-in map.

Do you guys think I should wait for these to come out or go ahead and try to find something now? If I wait, I feel like I should wait until a couple of people have bought an Endura and tried it. I don't feel like being a guinnea pig since I am new to GPS's anyway.

Wow,, GO Lowrance GO!! :lol:

I've always been a huge fan of Lowrance (the quiet underdog brand lol) and is nice to see they are making a sort of comeback,, hope it's as good as the claims! Also I hope they aren't going to forget CANADIAN turn-by-turn capability in the unit!

Geez first Palm (my OTHER favorite underdog) is making a big splash comeback with the Pre PDA and now this! :laughing: