Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
errorinspelling

More APRS Uses

Hopefully I don't get beat to the punch on this one. (Although I have seen some people do variations of this idea) I am looking at setting up my vehicle and boat as a geocache using my portable APRS tracker. I have a nice little geocache spot on the vehicle and was thinking about using the APRS to update my geocaching.com listing or maybe even a website with current location information, similar to findu, but very small and mobile phone web enabled so that people with either APRS or mobile web can track the vehicle down and log the find. The vehicle you might say stands out from the crowd, as it is rather unique. What gotchas, problems, or issues does anyone see with this. I have already thought about the fact that I am not always in an easily available location, but can be found out 4 wheeling a lot or maybe even grab the tracker and take it sailing with me. I have wondered though if I would have the random treasure hunter out trying to wave me down on the freeway.

-Eric

NS7DQ

Hopefully soon to make the cache "Cache me if you can"

In the past there have been several caches like this.

If I remember correctly Groundspeak does not allow a moving cache of any type including this one. The two that I know of were allowed to remain until the owner archived them and then no more.

You can try the Terracache.com website. They don't dictate what kind of cache you can list on their site.

If I remember correctly Groundspeak does not allow a moving cache of any type including this one. The two that I know of were allowed to remain until the owner archived them and then no more.

On the other hand they do seem to permit TB tags on vehicles... probably OK to help people find your rather large Traveler and log that... since they do not HAVE to be in a cache...

Of course, I remember a VE3... who told his buddies on air where he was parking his new car and newer

mobile radio... someone found it... but not him when he returned to his parking spot... didn't even have

APRS for accurate coordinates... come to think... I didn't even hear about APRS for another year or so...

Don't have callsign plates on cars either, at least ones that can't be concealed... not regular plates...

Doug

Well I found one that seems to actually have some popularity. It looks like it took a small hiatus between 2003 and 2006. But has been up since then until very recently. GCB581 But I am sure it will be back. All I can do is set it up, submit it and see what happens.

I think it would be neat to see a whole new class of caches come out called mobile caches. You could use applications for your GPS enabled phones to meet and great fellow geocachers out there. Have a little geocache backpack for the knick-knacks. Have a T-shirt with the "Official Geocache" emblem or "I am a geocache, don't call the bomb squad!".

-Eric

And then I find this little quirp.

Pocket Cache Geocaching Term

A geocache carried on your person that others are allowed to log.

Pocket caches were popular early on at events as a way of getting people to mingle. However, the practice is widely frowned upon now and known pocket caches are archived and locked by Geocaching.com now. Since caches must be found at their posted coordinates pocket caches just didn't fit into the game.

Well I found one that seems to actually have some popularity. It looks like it took a small hiatus between 2003 and 2006. But has been up since then until very recently. GCB581 But I am sure it will be back. All I can do is set it up, submit it and see what happens.

GCB581 was listed 6yrs ago. It's grandfathered in, and would not be listed if it was submitted today. From the cache placing guidelines:

First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache. If a cache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the cache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated the cache is likely to be "grandfathered" and allowed to stand as is.

If you "set it up, submit it and see what happens" you are going to be disappointed.