Oregon 2.85 BETA

That is a difficult question to answer. My experience has been very positive thus far and I've been using the release since it came out 3-4 days ago for autorouting (CN NT NA 2009) and off-road routing (geocaching). So far I haven't seen any of the issues in 2.7/2.8 around profiles (incorrect background, crashes, loss of profile settings). Based on what I've read here, the wiki discussion and other boards I haven't seen any other new issues except for the single POI database issue described above. All of the issues claimed to be fixed are fixed (battery meter is much better now, profile issues are gone, map redraws are smoother, issues with GB Discoverer have been at least partially addressed).

If this release makes it through a weekend of collective use w/o any new issues then I would fell pretty confident that it is good.

I've been using similarly as g-o-c, no problems here. My GPS is shutting off when I turn off the car ignition rather than giving me the choice to stay on (with garmin spanner chosen as interface) as it used to...that was happening before the update though. I'm thinking it's something to do with battery choice.

I've been running 2.85 since it came out also with no problems, except for the single poi db issue. I just ran accross another obscure bug but I'm not sure if it's new with 2.85 or was existing. Maybe someone with 2.8 and CN (Florida) loaded could try this sequence:

1) Where To?

2) Addresses

3) Spell out Florida or if you are in Florida, select Florida

4) Search All

5) Enter House Number

6) "201"

7) Enter Street Name

8) "Forest"

9) Select the 1st one on the list - Forest (Ave, Blvd, Blvd

10) Press the Down Arrow

11) Press the Down Arrow again and the unit turns off

JetSkier

I've been running 2.85 since it came out also with no problems, except for the single poi db issue. I just ran accross another obscure bug but I'm not sure if it's new with 2.85 or was existing. Maybe someone with 2.8 and CN (Florida) loaded could try this sequence:

1) Where To?

2) Addresses

4) Search All

5) Enter House Number

6) "201"

7) Enter Street Name

8) "Forest"

10) Press the Down Arrow

JetSkier

Well I updated to 4.85 but I think you could use web updater and downgrade.

Anyway, using your example or any State, Street name following the same steps it turns off.

1) Where To?

2) Addresses

4) Search All

5) Enter House Number

6) "201"

7) Enter Street Name

8) "Forest"

10) Press the Down Arrow

JetSkier

Well I updated to 4.85 but I think you could use web updater and downgrade.

Anyway, using your example or any State, Street name following the same steps it turns off.

I just did the same example using " 100 Main" street as an address and it fails with any state. As long as a long list of cities comes up, it'll fail.

JetSkier

I've been using similarly as g-o-c, no problems here. My GPS is shutting off when I turn off the car ignition rather than giving me the choice to stay on (with garmin spanner chosen as interface) as it used to...that was happening before the update though. I'm thinking it's something to do with battery choice.

I reported this bug with my Colorado some time ago. The problem with my Colorado was that even though the screen would go blank like that the unit would actually still be turned on and recording a track log up until the batteries run completely down. Before anyone asks about the "power save mode", remember that option hasn't been provided on the Colorado yet, and this was even before that feature was available on the Oregon.

The only response I've gotten from Garmin on this issue was to "try resetting it". I responded telling them that that my GPSr had been reset many times and the problem still exists. I have not heard back from them in over a month or two on this, but as I said, it was on my Colorado (which the 1 year warranty expires in about a month).

I reported this bug with my Colorado some time ago. The problem with my Colorado was that even though the screen would go blank like that the unit would actually still be turned on and recording a track log up until the batteries run completely down. Before anyone asks about the "power save mode", remember that option hasn't been provided on the Colorado yet, and this was even before that feature was available on the Oregon.

The only response I've gotten from Garmin on this issue was to "try resetting it". I responded telling them that that my GPSr had been reset many times and the problem still exists. I have not heard back from them in over a month or two on this, but as I said, it was on my Colorado (which the 1 year warranty expires in about a month).

did you ever find it to be battery-type dependent?

Go to the above approrpiate link. Download the software but don't open it, save it to your desktop. It will be an .exe file for Windows, but if you have Stuffit, you can unstuff the .exe file. ...

And if you don't have Stuffit then you can use the unzip command under terminal to extract the files from this self extract ZIP package.

Regards,

-Andy

I upgraded to 2.85 yesterday and used my Oregon for some caching today.

One thing I noticed is that the Pointer and Dist to Dest displays on the map screen seem to be less responsive. When I am navigating within close range of a cache, these displays seem to hang and don't update like they used to.

I really liked using the Oregon in this way, I hardly ever went to the compass screen to zero in on the cache, the display on the map screen was accurate enough for me to usually make the grab.

It is somewhat strange, because when I am traveling quickly in the car it seems to do fine but when I set out on foot it tends to begin updating slowly and then hangs and will not update at all. If I cancel out of the map and go back to it, it displays accurately but doesn't update when I begin moving again.

Has anyone else noticed this or do I have other problems than the update? I'm might try to downgrade to see if this resolves.

I did the upgrade and everything looks good except that I lost my contour lines on my topo maps. Has anyone else experienced this?

Contour lines are still working fine for me. Have you checked to see what maps you have enabled/disabled? Setup>Maps>Map Selection. Make sure Topo2008 is enabled and nothing else is.

I just got back from a weekend trip to Idaho, and with multiple car shutoffs with Oregon 300 connected, I never experienced this problem as you describe. I am using rechargeable NiMH's. Actually, I've noticed very little that's changed, except the battery meter reads a lot better and the profile switch bug is fixed.

The compass is set to Auto, but I did see that WAAS was not activated for some reason. I know I turned it on once before. Well, lets see if that change makes any difference. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks that did it. It must have enabled when I upgraded. Contour lines are fine now.

tarbaL

I just got back from a weekend trip to Idaho, and with multiple car shutoffs with Oregon 300 connected, I never experienced this problem as you describe. I am using rechargeable NiMH's. Actually, I've noticed very little that's changed, except the battery meter reads a lot better and the profile switch bug is fixed.

I'm still on 2.80. I have not had a repeat of this since switching to alkaline from lithium. However I have the problem of the GPS shutting down when connecting to the computer again and I can't seem to get around it this time. If I pull the sd card out all is fine. Put it back in again and same problem.

I have noticed a couple of Oregon custom POI issues and was wondering if it's just me or if other are seeing the same thing.

1) I can't get custom POI names to display on the map regardless of how I set the map zoom settings. On my Oregon custom POI names don't seem to display like they do on a Map60csx. I have to tap each custom POI to see it's name on the Oregon.

2) If the custom POI has a comment, the comment field is repeated twice when you view the information about 'the custom POI on the Oregon. (When to tap the custom POI and then tap the name on top of the map screen).

3) When viewing information about custom POIs very little info is displayed. You don't get "distance to point" info or position coordinates as you do on a non custom POIs or on the Map60csx.

All my custom POI's are created in MapSource and loaded with Garmin's POI loader.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help or ideas about this.

-Halfmile

I have noticed a couple of Oregon custom POI issues and was wondering if it's just me or if other are seeing the same thing.

1) I can't get custom POI names to display on the map regardless of how I set the map zoom settings. On my Oregon custom POI names don't seem to display like they do on a Map60csx. I have to tap each custom POI to see it's name on the Oregon.

Zoom level for Custom POIs with the default settings (auto) is around the 500'-800' level from what I remember. If you want to see them when you are zoomed out change the "User Waypoint" zoom level from auto to something like 3mi or 5mi.

3) When viewing information about custom POIs very little info is displayed. You don't get "distance to point" info or position coordinates as you do on a non custom POIs or on the Map60csx.

You can get distance and bearing to on the previous map screen, but you are correct that coordinates are not displayed. You can create a waypoint and look its coordinates if you really need them.

So you are seeing the custom POI name and not just the icon when you do this? I will have another go at it this evening and see if I can figure out what I am doing wrong.

-Halfmile

Zoom level for Custom POIs with the default settings (auto) is around the 500'-800' level from what I remember. If you want to see them when you are zoomed out change the "User Waypoint" zoom level from auto to something like 3mi or 5mi.

Well at least I know it's not just me.

I had hoped Garmin might have worked on this in the 2.85 Beta since it included some other custom POI features but I guess not.

-Halfmile

Send it into them (and remind them that geocaching names are also not displayed on the map :D.. and that the earthcache icons needs to be fixed... :P). I was on at them about the profile change bug for a while, they wanted to think it was my unit in particular.

Edited by Maingray

I have to tap each custom POI to see it's name on the Oregon.

2) If the custom POI has a comment, the comment field is repeated twice when you view the information about 'the custom POI on the Oregon. (When to tap the custom POI and then tap the name on top of the map screen).

-Halfmile

These are UK Speed Camera POIs downloaded twice a month.

#1- gives POI name, bearing, and distance

#2- gives name, proximity[an audible and visual alert] and speed limit.

1966ou0.png....2008mt4.png

I had hoped Garmin might have worked on this in the 2.85 Beta since it included some other custom POI features but I guess not.

-Halfmile

Send it into them (and remind them that geocaching names are also not displayed on the map :D.. and that the earthcache icons needs to be fixed... :P). I was on at them about the profile change bug for a while, they wanted to think it was my unit in particular.

What you want fixed, other don't. That is the problem. I don't want the map covered in names. Icons are fine.

-Halfmile

What you want fixed, other don't. That is the problem. I don't want the map covered in names. Icons are fine.

...ok, so the choice to set the zoom level for geocache / custom POI names =]. Plus a declutter mode. I'll add that to my request next time I email them.

This is interesting Strumble your speed camera POIs look pretty good (except it would be nice to have a bearing on the info page if you were hiking). I wonder why my POIs created in MapSource do not, or perhaps this is a Topo map v Citynavigator map issue.

-Halfmile

I have to tap each custom POI to see it's name on the Oregon.

-Halfmile

These are UK Speed Camera POIs downloaded twice a month.

#1- gives POI name, bearing, and distance

#2- gives name, proximity[an audible and visual alert] and speed limit.

1966ou0.png....2008mt4.png

Hi everyone,

are there any news regarding WAAS/EGNOS? Is it any easier to get a lock onto a WAAS satellite (or EGNOS in my case) with the new firmware?

On another point -sorry, I don't have an example at hand - when I set the routing to pedestrian and then ask the Oregon to calculate the on-road route to a destination more often than not it is not the best and shortest route, but it is a rather long and indirect route. I am using CN2009 Europe and most of the time my Oregon is set up to use the recreational profile.

Thanks

Robert

Has anyone else noticed also that while on the alarm screen there is a general and sporadic lack of responsiveness regarding the unit's registering of touchscreen commands? For example I will press the "Turn Alarm On" button, it will highlight, but the unit does nothing for four or five presses. It's also like that while setting the alarm time. Sometimes you can press a button three or four times before it registers. Anyone?

Edited by yogazoo

Has anyone else noticed also that while on the alarm screen there is a general and sporadic lack of responsiveness regarding the unit's registering of touchscreen commands? For example I will press the "Turn Alarm On" button, it will highlight, but the unit does nothing for four or five presses. It's also like that while setting the alarm time. Sometimes you can press a button three or four times before it registers. Anyone?

I have never used the alarm but just tried it and got instantaneous response. Didn't even see the slight delay I see when changing profiles.

I have seen some slowness after page changes too. I think that is the issue with the alarm page for example. If I change to the alarm clock and immediately start pressing the Turn Alarm On button nothing registers for a few seconds. If I change to the alarm clock and wait for 5 seconds and start pressing buttons they seem to work.

I've seen this on other pages as well. If you quickly change to a new page and start pressing buttons the touch screen doesn't seem responsive for 2-3 seconds.

Profile changes do seem a little slower with 2.85, but they are still on the order of 2-4 seconds, I guess I would rather have them be slow and work rather than fast and unreliable!

I seemed to have tracked down this crashing to a particular automotive USB power cable I was using. It was even shutting itself down whenever I tried to calculate a route. Switched out cables, and it seems to be OK now.

The changes to Garmin Discoverer are noticeable and I will post later:-

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;#entry3795792

I cannot see the Battery differences!

I saw an immediate change in battery meter reality. I had used my eneloops for about two hours with the old firmware and the meter showed them at 50%. The beta firmware shows them at 100% now.

Yeah me too, definite improvement in battery metering.

I've found cosmetic problem on 2.85 Beta.

Map descriptions in map selection (Settings - > Maps -> Map information) where I could enable/disable particular mapset, all descriptions are wrong..

Eg.

---

Enabled - City Navigator

European airspace paragliding map,

FUNCHAL, PORTUG

---

Disabled - TOPO Czech 2 PRO

FUNCHAL, PORTUG

---

etc.etc..

Despriptions are completely wrong.. Have someone else found this ? Or it is specificis issue of my profiles ?

Radek

Map descriptions in map selection (Settings - > Maps -> Map information) where I could enable/disable particular mapset, all descriptions are wrong..

Eg.

---

Enabled - City Navigator

FUNCHAL, PORTUG

---

FUNCHAL, PORTUG

---

etc.etc..

Despriptions are completely wrong.. Have someone else found this ? Or it is specificis issue of my profiles ?

Radek

Did you load the maps using Mapsource? If so, was this the description given in mapsource when you built the mapset?

Eg.

---

Enabled - City Navigator

FUNCHAL, PORTUG

---

FUNCHAL, PORTUG

---

etc.etc..

Radek

Did you load the maps using Mapsource? If so, was this the description given in mapsource when you built the mapset?

It was loaded via Mapsource.. Now I'm trying to reupload mapsets and hopefully there will be visible difference. Tomorrow I'd have some results..

BR,

Radek

You can see the mapset name in Mapsource before you download the maps. Once you've selected the map segments you want to load click the "mapset name" button to see what name Mapsource will give the set -- it changes depending on the segments and maps you have selected (or you can give in a name manually).

I'm using 6.13.7, it might be different in the newer 6.14 or 6.15 versions.

Today I used Energizer 2650mAh rechargeable batteries in my Oregon for the first time. The unit shut down after approx 5 hours saying the batteries were low. I guess the batteries are not low but the gauge is wrong. Is this the fault the 2.85 update addresses?

Make sure your battery selector in "setup" is set for NIMH instead of alkaline. Also if these are brand new rechargeables they won't reach their full capacity until after a few charge/discharge cycles.

Most people are finding that in v2.85 the battery meter has seen a vast improvment on accuracy. As far as battery life you should see anywhere from 10-16 hours depending on your usage of the compass, backlight, waas, etc.

Today I used Energizer 2650mAh rechargeable batteries in my Oregon for the first time. The unit shut down after approx 5 hours saying the batteries were low. I guess the batteries are not low but the gauge is wrong. Is this the fault the 2.85 update addresses?

Make sure your battery selector in "setup" is set for NIMH instead of alkaline. Also if these are brand new rechargeables they won't reach their full capacity until after a few charge/discharge cycles.

Most people are finding that in v2.85 the battery meter has seen a vast improvment on accuracy. As far as battery life you should see anywhere from 10-16 hours depending on your usage of the compass, backlight, waas, etc.

Also the temperature was below 0 Celsius and I recently read that NiMh don't like the cold.