Caches in cachers' yards

We have a cache in our front yard its in the open and easily seen from the road, and we have added a 80lb 4' tall clue right next to the cache the cache is called "Get the Signal" GCXHTQ

ca5b7c82-71c5-4bf4-b69d-44d0e39f07ce.jpg

The only time signal is not next to the cache is when we take him to events with us. Only funny moment was one time on the way home from the event there was a geocacher looking for the cache (Signal was in the trunk) she was wondering aimlessly around the front yard With a full size ammo box within sight. I grabbed Signal from the trunk and placed him right next to the box, it still took her about 45 seconds to get the ah ha moment.

I've done three or four of them. I cannot say that I've been too impressed with them... One was a "Say Hi to Grandma". At least we knew we were in the right place, but it felt strange walking on her front porch. Another was up someone's driveway. Actually a bit of a tricky hide. One was along a suburban street. Coords a bit off. Some signal bounce. Obscure hint. We spent 15 minutes inspecting the neighbors bushes before we found the cache. Did not like that one. May not do any more.

I have one in my yard. I actually get many compliments on it. Kanesville Founders GC10XD2

Here is why I think this is not as bad as many yard caches. It is not in front of the house. Yes I can see the location from the kitchen but its about 100 feet from the corner of the house. It is also between an out building and the sidewalk. This narrows the search area. The cache is about 5 feet from the sidewalk. If the searcher looks at the hint it is pretty obvious. The location of the cache is a popular spot for anyone to pull out and wait in their cars. I have seen cops, buses and anyone stop there. It can be busy but I have not had much trouble with the cache. The only trouble I had was with registered cachers in the neighborhood.

I also don't enjoy searching deep in someones yard. I think some caches are hidden in window wells. I keep driving if the neighborhood has small lots or the cache is near the home.

I have met a few cachers near this cache. I do leave folks alone and have many times left my driveway while someone is searching for the cache. I think they see my GC.com sticker in the window and understand I am one of the crazies.

I live in a tourist area and I've seriously thought about putting out a front yard cache for the multitudes that will pass by each summer. It would certainly be a cache to remember. You see, my wife Jeannette is a beekeeper, and I'd place the container in one of her hives. :- )

Sadly, we're sure that some people might not wait for her to get the bee suit and smoker out and bees could be injured so we've nixed the idea.

But what fun it could have been...

It depends a lot on the cache and the hider.

There's one in my local area that's hidden on the back side of the owner's property in a wooded area. It can't be seen from his house, and he can't see the spot where people park to go for the cache. So it's almost like not at a house.

I have met this person at a couple of CITO events, so I don't mind at all if they come out to say hello while we are looking for their cache. We actually went out on Halloween night to look for it, ready in some spooky masks to have fun with them if they came out. Since it was at night and this one is fairly well hidden, we DNF'ed it. But we had fun looking for it and left him a picture on the cache page for fun.

Actually, I would have been glad if they had come out to say hi. We wouldn't have DNF'ed it if they had!

But they were out of town that weekend so we missed them.

I have hunted a couple of others that were in cachers yards that I didn't know. One was OK and was remote enough from houses to make the hunt comfortable. The other was right on a busy road with the next door neighbors very near by. That one was not so comfortable to look for.

So it depends a lot on how it's hidden, the surroundings, traffic, neighbors, etc...

If it's well hidden in a good spot with some opportuntiy to look without too many prying eyes watching, I have no problem with it just because it's in a cacher's yard. If they come out to say hello, I might even make a new friend. :P

I've enjoyed the yard hides I've done and skipped the ones that made me uncomfortable (although I always appreciate it when it's clearly identified as such in the cache description.)

But my advice to any hiders is to PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE include your house address number either in the cache description or the hint. There's a world of difference between trusting your GPSr when the neighbor's house is 10 feet away versus knowing exactly which yard you're supposed to be in.

Thanks!

I always feel weird doing one. If the GPSr is pointing me in the direction of one and I haven't read the cache description, I'll skip it, but if I have read it or can read it, I pay attention to what is said, so I don't got poking around someone else's yard by accident.

I wouldn't say I hate them, just feel weird. But I did do one that I was out in the rain trying to sign the log book and the owner saw me and was nice enough to let me inside to sign and I got to meet with him and chat for a while. But believe me I'm not a social type, so I am in and out of one of those hides as quickly as possible.

:D I do not like them!!!! For example:

A cacher got permission from a second individual, out in the country, to hide a cache in his yard. The property owner, has taken metal-scrap and welded them into sculptures, which the micro is hidden on.

On this cache, there will be 3 to 4 DNF's, then suddenly a find. I believe the guy (property owner) removes the "nano" and enjoys watching folks search and not find. Then again he will return the cache for a find!

Just my opinion :D

Ever do one of those caches where you find a big 5 gallon bucket, filled with film cans, and you have to find the ONE that has the logbook. Well, we took that to the next level...

d6bce906-2aca-4f9e-92b9-a6b5f90a45cc.jpg

100 ammo cans on my front porch.. you have to find the one with the logbook. We live out in the country. You can see the nearest neighbor in that picture. We're at the end of our street so in all other directions the nearest neighbor is several times farther away. No one has had any problem with driving up our driveway, parking, and finding the cache. My office looks out over the cache, so if I'm home, I'll come out and harass chat with the finders.

Ammo Can Mania

no doubt its one of the cans on the bottom level

How do you feel about caches that are hidden right at the hider's house? Personally, I don't care for them. I feel weird poking around someone's yard, even though I know that I have permission to be there and that the owner in fact wanted to bring cachers there. And I'm pretty shy and get nervous about the fact that the owner might -gasp!- come out and talk to me. Am I in the minority? Are all the other cachers out there social butterflies who are all gung-ho about finding a cache that will put them right in the owner's face, or are there others who feel the same way I do?

I don't like doing caches in town, let alone someone's yard.

I'm glad you posted this thread. I had thought about doing a cache at my home.

I have pygmy goats and a few friendly hens, and had considered a cache for children that included some small bags of chicken and/or goat feed, so the little folks could feed and pet the animals while Mom and Dad signed the log book.

Thanks for giving me a new perspective on it.

I have pygmy goats and a few friendly hens, and had considered a cache for children that included some small bags of chicken and/or goat feed, so the little folks could feed and pet the animals while Mom and Dad signed the log book.

hey, just 'coz i don't like to have to make chitchat with cachers doesn't mean a LOT of people with kids wouldn't LOVE your petting zoo.

i confess i HAVE been to one or two caches at people's houses that are really outstanding.

this one comes to mind.

I don't like front yard caches---like another poster, I feel like the house is watching me and I don't want to have to socialize. I would NEVER look for power69"s cache---100 ammo cans with someone watching me???? You've got to be kidding. I love geocaching because I don't have to talk to people if I don't want to...and I usually don't.

hey, just 'coz i don't like to have to make chitchat with cachers doesn't mean a LOT of people with kids wouldn't LOVE your petting zoo.

i confess i HAVE been to one or two caches at people's houses that are really outstanding.

this one comes to mind.

I agree with flask here. Don't be discouraged against hiding home caches, especially if you're making a special arrangement that a demographic (that I happen to fit in with my FOUR kids) would enjoy. It's not like the people who don't like finding caches in cacher yards will dislike you or be destructive. They just won't find the cache is all. Since you'd want people who really enjoy this type of hide to find the cache (because they'd enjoy it the most) then this seems like a win/win situation.

And, hey, I think it's awesome that you're willing to do that. I wish we lived near you!

Ever do one of those caches where you find a big 5 gallon bucket, filled with film cans, and you have to find the ONE that has the logbook. Well, we took that to the next level...

100 ammo cans on my front porch.. you have to find the one with the logbook. We live out in the country. You can see the nearest neighbor in that picture. We're at the end of our street so in all other directions the nearest neighbor is several times farther away. No one has had any problem with driving up our driveway, parking, and finding the cache. My office looks out over the cache, so if I'm home, I'll come out and harass chat with the finders.

Ammo Can Mania

Remind me to rent a trailer before doing that one. ;)

Thin the herd!

Ammo Can Mania

This is a classic! ;) Lil Devil, we should make you an honorary Sandy Creek Cowboy for that one! If you ever get down to San Diego, there is a whole series of evil fun caches called the Sandy Creek Cowboy caches that you'd enjoy! Bwa ha ha! :P

It all depends. If it list as being with the permission of the land owner, I usually don't have any problems with it.

At a past house, I had a cache placed just behind my house, but we had the benefit of having a large open and public field behind our house. At my current location, I have a cache on my property, but we have a large swatch of land that actually extends into a ravine and the cache has got to be more than 200 feet from my house. I doubt whether anyone actually knows whether the cache is on private property or not.

At the old house, I enjoyed visited with cachers who came across my cache. With the new house, I never see them.

How do you feel about caches that are hidden right at the hider's house? Personally, I don't care for them. I feel weird poking around someone's yard, even though I know that I have permission to be there and that the owner in fact wanted to bring cachers there. And I'm pretty shy and get nervous about the fact that the owner might -gasp!- come out and talk to me. Am I in the minority? Are all the other cachers out there social butterflies who are all gung-ho about finding a cache that will put them right in the owner's face, or are there others who feel the same way I do?

We have a cache on our front porch, please don't feel awkward visiting it. We promise not to talk to you unless you ring the bell....here is a rather funny story about this cache.

Northern Michigan winters are very cold, very long and (this year) very very snowy! Those things combined makes it very easy to just want to hibernate for a few months. We decided to combate this with a series of 7 caches... Ski da EUP, eh? They are all located at different cross country ski paths across the Eastern Upper Peninsula. They all involve about a 1/2 mile ski or snowshoe in and that same out unless of course you keep going to complete the trail. You will have driven more than a hundred miles between them all and skied or snowshoed at least 7 miles. All of these caches contain a clue that if you get them all will give you the coordinates to the bonus cache, the one that is on our front porch...it is titled "Ski da EUP, eh? Back to da Couch." It is a very large container that has books, dvd's, hot chocolate, coffee...all kinds of fun things to take back to the couch after having completed this series. (no trades please, just a gift for you)

Well these caches were all published on January 2nd, the very large, very well marked cache for the porch was still sitting in the basement...stocked up just not on the porch. Our daughter, son in law and the grandbabys had just gotten in for a visit, the house was kind in chaos. Who would have thought that any person in their right mind would go out for this series....ALL IN THE SAME DAY?????

I was juggling dogs, babies...thinking about doing something for dinner when the doorbell rings. The daughter, who has no clue about this series we have put out, opens the door....She yells for me "there is some man here wants to know about geocaching"....huh???

Turns out we do have a nut case here who would go out for this entire series in one day! The lack of a cache to find at the house didn't deter him a bit...I'm so glad they had the nerve to ring the bell I would have felt awful if they had just slunk away. We had a very nice visit and laugh with him and his wife....the very large, very well marked cache is sitting right on the porch...you can't miss it. We won't bother you unless you ring the bell!

Maybe I read this wrong, but it seems you are upset that the geocacher asked you a question about your cache that you placed on your front porch. Did you not expect someone to knock on your door? Maybe you should move your cache to another location so no one bothers you.

Also, when you submit your geocache request isn't there is a box that you mark saying the cache is currently in place and ready to go?

I was juggling dogs, babies...thinking about doing something for dinner when the doorbell rings. The daughter, who has no clue about this series we have put out, opens the door....She yells for me "there is some man here wants to know about geocaching"....huh???

Turns out we do have a nut case here who would go out for this entire series in one day! The lack of a cache to find at the house didn't deter him a bit...I'm so glad they had the nerve to ring the bell I would have felt awful if they had just slunk away. We had a very nice visit and laugh with him and his wife....the very large, very well marked cache is sitting right on the porch...you can't miss it. We won't bother you unless you ring the bell!

Edited by Cav Scout

Maybe I read this wrong, but it seems you are upset that the geocacher asked you a question about your cache that you placed on your front porch. Did you not expect someone to knock on your door? Maybe you should move your cache to another location so no one bothers you.

Also, when you submit your geocache request isn't there is a box that you mark saying the cache is currently in place and ready to go?

Sorry but you read that so very wrong!! I was NOT upset at all and yes there is a box that you check....we just really didn't think anyone would do all that in one day. "Maybe we should move the cache so no one bothers us"....man did you ever read that story wrong! I guess you forgot to read the part that said....here is a funny story......

Maybe I read this wrong, but it seems you are upset that the geocacher asked you a question about your cache that you placed on your front porch.
I think you did read it wrong. It didn't sound to me like they were upset in the least, just surprised.

But I totally agree, they should have had the cache on the porch before submitting the cache page for approval.

Maybe I read this wrong, but it seems you are upset that the geocacher asked you a question about your cache that you placed on your front porch.

OMG BIG TEXT

I had to do that.

Yes, you did read it wrong. It was a very amusing story, told in a very joking way.

You also missed where da usyoopers said:

I'm so glad they had the nerve to ring the bell I would have felt awful if they had just slunk away. We had a very nice visit and laugh with him and his wife

I'm always really glad when people do things that upset me...? And I'm always upset with nice visits and laughing with people...? :D

I stay away from them unless it is obvious where the cache is. In Florida we have a "stand your ground law", which basically gives people the right to shoot anyone they feel is a threat to them, which would include a tresspasser snooping around your house. I've been known to type in a wrong number on my GPS, which could have very bad consequences.

I've never encountered one that was in a front yard but I looked briefly for one that was on the sidewalk in front of the yard. I didn't stay very long.... I'm not fond of being a goldfish in a bowl while being scrutinized by the cache owners while they get their voyeuristic jollies.

I stay away from them unless it is obvious where the cache is. In Florida we have a "stand your ground law", which basically gives people the right to shoot anyone they feel is a threat to them, which would include a tresspasser snooping around your house. I've been known to type in a wrong number on my GPS, which could have very bad consequences.

No kidding! I didn't know we had that!

Interesting.

I've never encountered one that was in a front yard but I looked briefly for one that was on the sidewalk in front of the yard. I didn't stay very long.... I'm not fond of being a goldfish in a bowl while being scrutinized by the cache owners while they get their voyeuristic jollies.

You'd have to do a lot more than look for a cache for me to get my voyeuristic jollies. Wearing firefighter bunker gear would be a nice start, though.

WOAH!

That's a seriously twisted interpretation of the law!

The Florida law is a self-defense, self-protection law. It has four key components:

* It establishes that law-abiding residents and visitors may legally presume the threat of bodily harm or death from anyone who breaks into a residence or occupied vehicle and may use defensive force, including deadly force, against the intruder.

* In any other place where a person “has a right to be,” that person has “no duty to retreat” if attacked and may “meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.”

* In either case, a person using any force permitted by the law is immune from criminal prosecution or civil action and cannot be arrested unless a law enforcement agency determines there is probable cause that the force used was unlawful.

* If a civil action is brought and the court finds the defendant to be immune based on the parameters of the law, the defendant will be awarded all costs of defense.

To download Florida’s new law in its four-page entirety, click here (.pdf).

The Florida law is not a gun law. Period. It contains zero references to guns or shooting, unless you feel propagandistically compelled to count one of those ubiquitous legislative “Whereases” that references the Florida Constitution’s “right of the people to bear arms…”

Critics such as the Violence Policy Center and the Brady Campaign denounce "Stand-Your-Ground" clauses as "Shoot First" laws (as in "shoot first, ask questions later"), asserting that the presumptions and other protections afforded to gun owners allow them virtual carte blanche to shoot anyone who is perceived to be trespassing. They also state it will lead to cases of mistaken identity, so-called "shooting the milkman" scenarios. Proponents like the National Rifle Association state that such scenarios are unlikely and are not protected under most Castle laws; the shooter is only justified if the assailant broke into the home or attempted to commit some other property crime such as arson, and simple trespass is neither.

For a fuller explanation and how it applies to other states see Castle Doctrine on Wikipedia.

Geocachers have no reason to fear this law.

Edited by TheAlabamaRambler

Generally, I will skip these caches. I sometimes log them if I can identify the hide location without leaving my car, but sometimes I'll skip these, as well.

Lazy armchair cacher. :)

They go straight to the ignore list.

Generally, yes. I've seen 2 (I think) that actually had a reason for a cache besides "I want to have a cache in my yard".

In Foster City, CA, the police Department put one right in front of their HQ. If it is between 9-5, the receptionist has a beautiful view of you!

Oddly enough, I've done that one since I work across the street. I had a LEO Geocoin and that seemed like the perfect place to start it.

I won't hunt them. When I'm feeling social, I'll go to an event.

Amen. I don't have issues with meeting people or feeling awkward, it just doesn't seem like a great place for a cache.

46d9afbb-6e03-4be7-96e5-bc97d4866193.jpg

Since August 28, 2005 there have been 226 visitors to this cache..

594 travel bugs have passed through it as of 1/27/2009.

And yes, it is a front yard cache. Obviously not too hard to see from the road.

Zinnware (the cacher in the picture) scored his 2000th find here. The video footage of his milestone can be viewed

I had the wonderful pleasure of saying hello to DocDitto in his front yard as one of the 226 visitors. He was very friendly but didn't provide any hot chocolate or cookies. :)

To answer the question: I enjoy caches in cachers' yards as long as I know they have permission or it is their house. When I was caching in Erie there was one on the side of a house but the houses were ten feet apart. I passed.

Edited by LadeBear68

I had the wonderful pleasure of saying hello to DocDitto in his front yard as one of the 226 visitors. He was very friendly but didn't provide any hot chocolate or cookies. :)

If I recall correctly, wasn't I backing out of the driveway when you were here? I'm pretty sure I was on my way to the grocery store to pick up fresh cookies and hot chocolate. I don't know why I'd run out, I guess the cache was pretty busy that day. I'll try to be more prepared next time. :D

WOAH!

The Florida law is a self-defense, self-protection law. It has four key components:

* It establishes that law-abiding residents and visitors may legally presume the threat of bodily harm or death from anyone who breaks into a residence or occupied vehicle and may use defensive force, including deadly force, against the intruder.

* In any other place where a person “has a right to be,” that person has “no duty to retreat” if attacked and may “meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.”

* In either case, a person using any force permitted by the law is immune from criminal prosecution or civil action and cannot be arrested unless a law enforcement agency determines there is probable cause that the force used was unlawful.

* If a civil action is brought and the court finds the defendant to be immune based on the parameters of the law, the defendant will be awarded all costs of defense.

The Florida law is not a gun law. Period. It contains zero references to guns or shooting, unless you feel propagandistically compelled to count one of those ubiquitous legislative “Whereases” that references the Florida Constitution’s “right of the people to bear arms…”

Critics such as the Violence Policy Center and the Brady Campaign denounce "Stand-Your-Ground" clauses as "Shoot First" laws (as in "shoot first, ask questions later"), asserting that the presumptions and other protections afforded to gun owners allow them virtual carte blanche to shoot anyone who is perceived to be trespassing. They also state it will lead to cases of mistaken identity, so-called "shooting the milkman" scenarios. Proponents like the National Rifle Association state that such scenarios are unlikely and are not protected under most Castle laws; the shooter is only justified if the assailant broke into the home or attempted to commit some other property crime such as arson, and simple trespass is neither.

For a fuller explanation and how it applies to other states see Castle Doctrine on Wikipedia.

You are Totally Wrong!

You are correct about the intent of the law, but the way the law has in fact been interpreted gives very broad leeway in terms of " if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.” There was a case a year or so ago in North Fort Myers, where someone shot and killed an unarmed neighbor who was just on their property (near the boundary) who was performing pranks and no charges were filed because of the law. A state legislator made the comment that not filing charges was consistent with how the law was written, but it was not the intent of the law as he voted for it.

If someone is snooping in my backyard, I could very easily make the case that I reasonably believe that my life or that of my family is danger and that use of deadly force was justified. I'm not saying this as anti-gun person (which I am not) nor am I saying that I believe the law is bad (I actually support it). Heck, if I caught someone snooping near kids bedroom window, I will assume he is a sexual predator and will act accordingly. There would be enough reasonable doubt that no charges would ever be filed, particularly if the person in question is dead.

So yes, one does put ones life at risk if you are caught snooping near someone's home under the stand your ground law, which is why I would not do so just to bag another smiley.

WOAH!

You are Totally Wrong!

You are correct about the intent of the law, but the way the law has in fact been interpreted gives very broad leeway in terms of " if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.” There was a case a year or so ago in North Fort Myers, where someone shot and killed an unarmed neighbor who was just on their property (near the boundary) who was performing pranks and no charges were filed because of the law. A state legislator made the comment that not filing charges was consistent with how the law was written, but it was not the intent of the law as he voted for it.

If someone is snooping in my backyard, I could very easily make the case that I reasonably believe that my life or that of my family is danger and that use of deadly force was justified. I'm not saying this as anti-gun person (which I am not) nor am I saying that I believe the law is bad (I actually support it). Heck, if I caught someone snooping near kids bedroom window, I will assume he is a sexual predator and will act accordingly. There would be enough reasonable doubt that no charges would ever be filed, particularly if the person in question is dead.

So yes, one does put ones life at risk if you are caught snooping near someone's home under the stand your ground law, which is why I would not do so just to bag another smiley.

Should I mention that a Cape Coral cop told me that if you're in that kind of situation to make sure to pump five shots into someone instead of just one because it'll be easier to believe that you were in a fearful state of mind?

Thank God I don't own a gun. :laughing:

My first one I was apprehensive for the same reasons listed, but I went ahead and did it. The second one I felt a bit better, but still a little hesitant. Buy my third I began to realize, meeting the owners was fun and informative, plus it seemed, some of the best and biggest caches were in cachers yards. After a few fun experiences with this type of cache, I set my own up and have enjoyed the visits ever since. This is a game to play your way, if you don’t like them just move on, no big deal. But if you do try one be careful, you may just find a great cache and get to know a new comrade. :laughing:

Edited by Hobo2

Ammo Can Mania

Very clever :laughing:

I normally avoid these caches like a sack of rabid skunks, but I made an exception this past weekend. I had received on log on one of my caches indicating that the most recent finder was logging from the ER :laughing: I sent a get-well email via GC.com, but didn't hear back. Sunday morning rolled around, and I remembered that the injured cacher had one of these front-yard caches, so I biked on over. Met the cacher, heard his tale, saw his (rapidly healing) wounds, and felt a lot better.

Aside from the relief of seeing that the guy was OK, I think I learned something about these caches: They have the potential to become TB and geocoin havens. They're basically park-and-grabs, but because a lot of folks avoid them, they don't get huge traffic. And, maybe TB/coin thieves would be reluctant to do their dirty deeds under the watchful eye of the cache owner. Whatever the reason, this one is on its way to becoming an informal TB hotel.

Edited by Mule Ears

I normally avoid these caches like a sack of rabid skunks, but I made an exception this past weekend. I had received on log on one of my caches indicating that the most recent finder was logging from the ER :laughing: I sent a get-well email via GC.com, but didn't hear back. Sunday morning rolled around, and I remembered that the injured cacher had one of these front-yard caches, so I biked on over. Met the cacher, heard his tale, saw his (rapidly healing) wounds, and felt a lot better.

Aside from the relief of seeing that the guy was OK, I think I learned something about these caches: They have the potential to become TB and geocoin havens. They're basically park-and-grabs, but because a lot of folks avoid them, they don't get huge traffic. And, maybe TB/coin thieves would be reluctant to do their dirty deeds under the watchful eye of the cache owner. Whatever the reason, this one is on its way to becoming an informal TB hotel.

Yep, some of these work well as safe havens!! I can think of 4 right off the bat which work well and aren't too hard to find. 3 of them are bird houses/feeders and the last is a big orange barrel (named Big orange and placed in the yard of MaxB on the River).

I don't like them too much, but have found my share!

Yep, some of these work well as safe havens!! I can think of 4 right off the bat which work well and aren't too hard to find. 3 of them are bird houses/feeders and the last is a big orange barrel (named Big orange and placed in the yard of MaxB on the River).

I don't like them too much, but have found my share!

I just won't do them. If the coords are off just a little bit, you end up on the wrong side of the fence and in another person's private space. I usually pass them by. Just as a matter of course, I dislike city caches and micros even more. Exercise and scenery are the two things that brought me to caching. Getting out of the car to hunt anither lamp-skirt micro is a waste of time. Give me some open space!