Snow caching

tboyla

Some sections of the great USA are snow covered this time of year. Is it cheating to find a cache that has tracks leading to it. obviously you don't want to stop this great activity for some snow. whatyathink? :yikes::wacko:

Its no different than following a well worn geo-trail to a cache. Plus, you're assuming that the cacher ahead of you went to the right spot the 1st place they looked and didn't walk around GZ alot. Finding a cache in the snow can be quite tricky even if you know the general area.

[ Finding a cache in the snow can be quite tricky even if you know the general area.

I second that opinion ... I recently spent hours with a shovel looking for a cache ...waaa...found a lotta ground and leaves but no cache. Actually the Pony dug and I complained.

The amount of snow makes a big difference and some really clear spoilers from the cache logs will help if you have to dig around a bit. The Pony and I had a great hike on a well trod path and easy enough find with lots of snow on the ground when we were visiting a cache in North Bay Ontario.

Look for the no snow symbol on the cache page and then look at the last few cache logs ... has anyone found it recently in the snow. Did they whine about needing a shovel or coming back in the spring? Those are some good clues to caching with snow. I might be inclined to brush out my tracks if I wanted the next finder to have their own fun. I'm laughing ...I've only found 3 caches and they've all been in the snow! Winter weather grrrr... I'm gonna appreciate the spring.

Some sections of the great USA are snow covered this time of year. Is it cheating to find a cache that has tracks leading to it. obviously you don't want to stop this great activity for some snow. whatyathink? :yikes::wacko:

I wouldn't consider it cheating at all. As already stated, it would be just like following an already worn path to the cache, or tall grass stomped down by somebody else there recently. Go for it!

Following tracks to (or better, from) a cache location only gets you to the immediate area a little easier. You still need to find the cache and sign the log. A bit of snow and cold temperatures more than compensates for the benefit of following tracks to the general location.

First, finding the general location is often easier in winter without leaves on the trees. Once you've arrived at the location, unless you have access to recent logs (paperless caching is a big benefit here) you don't know if the tracks you followed were made by someone that actually found the cache. Reading cache listings before leaving home is even more important during winter otherwise you might follow someones tracks for awhile only to discover that the container is inaccessible. I "found" one a couple of weeks ago that was in a hole in a tree. The hole had filled with water, which then froze solid. resulting in a container that was entombed in several inches of ice.

No it's not cheating and if you have snow and the cache was just approved the tracks are likely from the cache placer.. he he

I also add in - if you are doing snow caching - you may want to invest in a metal detector (we're looking at a hand held type) - it will help us find the cache without having to dig as much - but also we found out the hard way if a plastic container is frozen in the snow if it gets "tapped" it could shatter.. so a metal detector can help you keep from damaging..

And don't forget those of us who hide caches in the winter. It can be frustrating waiting for enough snowfall to cover our tracks we made while hiding the cache before actually publishing it. Sometimes I just make additional tracks all over the place to add to the confusion if snowfall is not forthcoming.

I recently did a cemetery cache, in the snow, and it was clear that someone was there before me. I get the feeling that they did not find it. I did. There were no tracks leading to the cache.

The reason I figure they were looking for the cache was the clue. "Find the doctor and you will know your close" Several of the grave markers has been wiped off, i get the feeling they were looking for the doctor!

I have found that due to the limited number of other activities, I tend to do more caching in the winter... no grass to cut etc.

I just found 5 caches buried under snow. There were no footprints to follow, but there sure are a LOT of them now! Good Luck trying to find the cache this way, because I searched all over the place and left less of a path and more of a CLEARING!

A metal detector won't help you with a lock-and-lock, but i found it helpful to poke around with my hiking stick, listening for any unusual ''thud''.