geocache swag items

springflowers

Hi,

Brand new to geocashing, 2 whole finds Whee!! I am considering hiding a cache. I have some items i would like to use, but am worried it might be considered soliciting for a charity. I have several pet tags that you can log onto a website and register the # on them. If your pet is lost, someone calls the 800 # on the tag with the code, they would have your information so that you can be reunited with your pet. I would attach a little sheet that gives the instructions on how to register it. the registration is free, but there is the opportunity on the website to buy collars. The proceeds go to disaster relief for pets. There is no obligation to buy even if you register a tag. Is this acceptable?

Hi,

Brand new to geocashing, 2 whole finds Whee!! I am considering hiding a cache. I have some items i would like to use, but am worried it might be considered soliciting for a charity. I have several pet tags that you can log onto a website and register the # on them. If your pet is lost, someone calls the 800 # on the tag with the code, they would have your information so that you can be reunited with your pet. I would attach a little sheet that gives the instructions on how to register it. the registration is free, but there is the opportunity on the website to buy collars. The proceeds go to disaster relief for pets. There is no obligation to buy even if you register a tag. Is this acceptable?

You can put any type of swag in your geocache.

If you do mention the items in the cache description just note that they are swag items for the finders. The key thing to keep in mind is that anyone might visit your cache so the listing page cannot solicit or have an agenda, that doesn't apply to the swag, just to the cache and listing page. Stick to a description of the cache hunt, tell a story, entertain or educate, just don't solicit, for money or adherents. :yikes:

Your choice for swag is limitless but you could use your sig item as well. You could laminate and leave small cards that said you were active in supporting that charity as a sig item when finding caches, sig items can be whatever you choose, some people leave business cards and some leave tracts, it is up to each individual geocacher.

As a cache owner you have to create a cache that doesn't have an agenda (beyond geocaching). If you think you have an idea that might work you could bounce it off your reviewer, they can make exceptions but leniency is rarely granted.

Your swag idea sounds like it would support a good cause, perhaps hiding your cache near an off leash area would increase your chances of getting people who might help.

Your idea as it stands is fine, you can do that.

Hi,

First, Welcome to geocaching! Congrats on your first two finds!

Secondly, I think that is great swag. I thought the same as you at first and misunderstood that the swag couldn't have an 'agenda', charity or otherwise. I was wrong. "Officially" what can't have an agenda is the theme of the cache. IE...you could not hide a cache and call it "donate to homeless pets" and ask everyone to put in dog toys as swag....or a cache that has a title of "Republicans rock" and then post political opinions on teh cache page.

Some cachers feel the same (no agenda) rules should apply to swag and some don't, but either way...there is no rule about swag. Most people only get bent out of shape if propaganda (worthless paper advertising) is left of a religious or political nature. This still only usually applies to the worthless paper stuff. Many people leave cross pendants, political buttons and the like...since they might be a fun thing for others to find. The propaganda usually only gets thrown away or wet and ruins the cache.

I think your swag is a great idea and would be appreciated by many who find it! Happy caching!

Hi,

If you do mention the items in the cache description just note that they are swag items for the finders. The key thing to keep in mind is that anyone might visit your cache so the listing page cannot solicit or have an agenda, that doesn't apply to the swag, just to the cache and listing page. Stick to a description of the cache hunt, tell a story, entertain or educate, just don't solicit, for money or adherents. :yikes:

Your choice for swag is limitless but you could use your sig item as well. You could laminate and leave small cards that said you were active in supporting that charity as a sig item when finding caches, sig items can be whatever you choose, some people leave business cards and some leave tracts, it is up to each individual geocacher.

As a cache owner you have to create a cache that doesn't have an agenda (beyond geocaching). If you think you have an idea that might work you could bounce it off your reviewer, they can make exceptions but leniency is rarely granted.

Your swag idea sounds like it would support a good cause, perhaps hiding your cache near an off leash area would increase your chances of getting people who might help.

Your idea as it stands is fine, you can do that.

Thanks! I just didn't want to step on any toes right off the bat! Very excited about placing my 1st Cache!

While that is technically true there are some guidelines about a few things that should be avoided. From the Frequently Asked Questions page:

What should not be placed in a cache?

People of all ages hide and seek caches, so think carefully before placing an item into a cache. Explosives, ammunition, knives, drugs and alcohol should not be placed in a cache. Respect the local laws.

Food items are always a bad idea. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because of food items in a cache. Please do not put food in a cache.

I think the first answer could probably be expanded a bit to just use good judgment about what type of swag you put into a cached based on the fact that people of all ages may visit the cache. While the FAQ doesn't specifically address it, "adult" items should probably be left at home. I've found a cache once with a couple of condoms in it (still in foil packages), clearly an example of not considering who might find the cache. It's probably not a good idea to put nekkid pictures of your girlfriend even if she *is* hot.

The warning about food is a good idea, but it's also worth considering leaving out anything that might expire (aka batteries) or leak into the container. I found a cache awhile back that had a stamp and ink pad in it. The container wasn't exactly waterproof, resulting in a big mess when water got into the plastic bag containing the ink pad.