DNF

I was just wondering what others do with there DNF list and how they log them if found later.

I go back to the cache page to see it it was just me or a missing cache. I like to give my DNFs a second or third try just to get it off my list. I will edit my DNF log into a "found it" and leave a little note of my triumph.

I noticed this gets it off my list but leaves a DNF on the cache page even though it now says found.

Any thoughts?

I was just wondering what others do with there DNF list and how they log them if found later.

I go back to the cache page to see it it was just me or a missing cache. I like to give my DNFs a second or third try just to get it off my list. I will edit my DNF log into a "found it" and leave a little note of my triumph.

I noticed this gets it off my list but leaves a DNF on the cache page even though it now says found.

Why would you edit a DNF into a Found log?

The logs on a cache page represent the history of the cache; in my opinion, you should make a new "found it" log when you find the cache, and leave the old DNF there. It will be valuable to future seekers when they see that it took multiple tries to find.

what i do, is if i keep going to a cache and i can't find it, i log a DNF. If i keep going back to the cache and continually cannot find it, i still post a DNF. When i finally do find it, i do a happy dance, sign the log, and move on. Then i get home and post my expeirences on the cache.

i leave my DNF list alone, i don't delete anything off of it. Your not really supposed to, as far as i know

Don't edit your DNF! Post a new log. It defeats the purpose of even having a DNF. For instance, I had a DNF a couple weeks ago and found found it this week. Editing my DNF would be boring, but logging a DNF one week and a found later makes reading the logs more interesting and informative for others.

What I do is this...

Look for the cache twice; if I don't find it on the second try, I log a DNF

I'll back a few more times

When I do find it, I make a new log entry as found

In addition to the reasons others have given, I'll mention that editing the type from DNF to Found it! generates no email notification. The cache owner and any other watchers will NOT be notified of a new find. This may inconvenience the owner, who is depending on those Found logs to assure her that the cache is in place.

If you really want your DNF logs to go away upon finding a cache, delete them. And log a new, correctly dated Found it! log.

Edited by Isonzo Karst

I know I'm just a noob at this, but one of the suggestions I was given was to put a DNF cache on the watchlist. You then get an email when another cacher attempts the cache.

You will be able to see whether it's another DNF or a Found log.

Then you can go back and find it (or log another DNF! :yikes:) and make (as mentioned) a new log entry for it.

I know I'm just a noob at this, but one of the suggestions I was given was to put a DNF cache on the watchlist. You then get an email when another cacher attempts the cache.

Then you can go back and find it (or log another DNF! :yikes:) and make (as mentioned) a new log entry for it.

This is exactly what I do.

I leave all my DNFs and will post additional DNFs if I DNF it more or a find once I finally find it.

It's cool to look at some caches and see 75 DNFs and 25 finds.

There ya go!

Have said it numerous times -- just as the 'Finders' like their numbers, the 'Hiders' like theirs too. At least, this one does. And I'd think the knowledge you found one that so many others found difficult (if they found it at all) would add a feather to your personal cachin' cap. Without those DNFs in place, on file, how would you, or others, know?

We've got a couple players around here that think they're supposed to edit DNFs into Smiley logs, it seems. Lord knows they wouldn't be trying to 'hide their failures', now would they? (Yes....yes they would. They told me so.) :yikes:

One more reason I wish CO's could edit logs on their cache listings.

~*

If everyone changed their DNFs to finds, then it's not a true representation of a cache's difficulty. Imagine going to a 4.5 difficulty cache and seeing 50 finds and no DNFs. If I was planning on finding that cache, I'd be tempted to think that its rated incorrectly and will be easy. A 4.5 should be a challenge and will most likely have DNFs. If you see a bunch of DNFs, then you know you're in for a challenge.

Edited by Skippermark

I have a cache that a lot of the more experienced cachers have a hard time finding some having 2 or 3 DNFs before posting that happy face. I love reading their posts since its really the same silly mistake each of them make. NEW cachers seem to walk right up to it with very little difficulty.

If the DNFs were deleted or replaced it would just appear to be a missing cache for those that can't find it the first time. But because of the history of DNF and eventual smiles with new stories, most cachers are willing to give it a lot of trys.

By the way it's listed as a 1.5 difficulty and most of the experienced cachers who have taken several tries to find it agree that it really shouldn't be rated higher. They just need to follow the actual instructions.

I will edit my DNF log into a "found it" and leave a little note of my triumph.

You DIDN'T FIND IT. You didn't sign the log book. You cannot EVER log it until you DO find it. WOOF WOOF, Bark Bark. Do not CHEAT and edit your DNF to a Find. Hell, if you could do that then you could find every terrain 5 and difficulty 5 hide in the world, or even every cache...

When you do find it you log a find ofn that day and leave the history alone.

Edited by trainlove

You DIDN'T FIND IT. You didn't sign the log book. You cannot EVER log it until you DO find it. WOOF WOOF, Bark Bark. Do not CHEAT and edit your DNF to a Find. Hell, if you could do that then you could find every terrain 5 and difficulty 5 hide in the world, or even every cache...

When you do find it you log a find ofn that day and leave the history alone.

I was under the impression the OP stated they did go back and find caches, but was only wondering how others would log the new find... as stated in the 1st paragraph.

Edited by mfamilee

Since you don't know, your 'list' is just the last 30 days of your logs.

To see all your logs you can click on one of the three "Show all logs for: Caches, Bugs, or Benchmarks. And then you can click on the type of log, all, find, note, DNF...

To see your information, as others can see it, you want to click on the second of the boxes on the right of those pages called Stat Bar, or the link above that called View Profile. Then there are tabs for the various things. This shows your finds counts, and for travel bugs everything but the notes.

I am a noob too. This is what I do as well.

Edited by lecarlyle

Then you can go back and find it (or log another DNF! ;)) and make (as mentioned) a new log entry for it.

What does being a noob have to do with it? I don't watch all DNFs, but I do watch a significant number.

Man you have not lived until you have DNF'd on your own cache. Anyone can DNF on someone else's cache, but to miss your own, well that's a real accomplishment.

What would you do then?

I do not go back and edit a DNF log. If I have multiple DNFs, each gets a separate log. When I finally find it, I log the smiley. ;) I don't place all of my DNFs on my watchlist. If I am curious if the cache is missing or just difficult, then I will watch it. If I see someone gets a find after my DNF, then I know that it was me and not the cache.

Man you have not lived until you have DNF'd on your own cache. Anyone can DNF on someone else's cache, but to miss your own, well that's a real accomplishment.

What would you do then?

Erm, not that unusual, actually. I've read a few Temporary Disable from cache owners where they said "Been out to check on the cache, looks like it is missing, will replace it" and the next log entry is a note by someone else saying "Cache is still there", and then an embarassed Enable Listing from CO.

Anyway, I think the general consensus is to log a separate Found when the cache is found. That is what I do as well. Not only does it make more sense to me, it is also easier than editing an old log.

What does being a noob have to do with it? I don't watch all DNFs, but I do watch a significant number.

Being a noob - in the grand scheme of things - has nothing to do with it. I was trying to illustrate that as a newer hunter mine might not be the best way of doing things, but wanted to share the hint I was given to try and help someone else that hasn't been hunting long. ;)

What would you do then?

In the purely hypothetical chance that I have done this, I have sat, er, I would sit back and pray that someone else finds it and proves that it is still there... somewhere.

This is purely hypothetical, you understand. I have never disabled one of my caches because I couldn't find it and thought it was missing. Never. Nor have I ever placed a cache, walked away, and returned ten minutes later, only to have serious trouble finding it again.

I'm serious.