GPSr and airlines?

Three questions... what country, what airline, and do you plan to use it while in flight, or just transport it?

Most US airlines have policies on GPS usage while in flight, so you'll have to check with your particular airline. As for security, in the US, Canada, or Europe they shouldn't have problem with a GPS in your carryon. I would never put electronics in checked baggage.

We're planning a trip and would like to do a little caching at the destination. What are the airline regulations regarding a GPSr in your carry-on or checked baggage? Thanks

Don't put anything in your checked baggage that you aren't prepared to lose & never get back (or have broken). Unless you're checking firearms, in which case the case will be locked and the airlines will be taking extra steps to make sure the package isn't lost (last I heard, anyway).

Expensive electronics have a funny way of growing legs when TSA inspectors do their random checked baggage searches.

As long as the GPSr stays off in flight, you should have no issues. Some airlines may allow you to turn it on in-flight, but the final ruling lies with the folks in the little room at the front of the plane.

We're planning a trip and would like to do a little caching at the destination. What are the airline regulations regarding a GPSr in your carry-on or checked baggage? Thanks

I have traveled all over the US and the Carribean with my GPSr in my carry on, I just don't take it out.

I never check any electronics, too easy to get "lost"

I have been doing a lot of flight travel lately and have noticed that unless you are in a windo seat, the GPS will loose enough sats to keep a track lock. Of course, if you have a patch antenna, you can slip the receiver in the pocket to your front and put the antenna in the window beside your shoulder. No one will even seee it.