Mac to Legend

jdofu

Hello to all, hopefully you can help me out. I have been trying to download(?), transfer(?), just plain old get(?) Geocache info from Geocaching.com onto a Garmin Legend. I have a Mac so I had to get a usb to serial adapter to plug in to the Mac. However, try as I may, I cannot figure out how to get anything onto the gps unit. I have downloaded all kinds of different programs such as, MacsimpleGPS, Garmin communicator, RoadTrip, GPSBabel, Maccaching, Mapinstall, Mapmanager, and boy do I feel like an idiot, because I just don't get it. What am I missing? Thank you for any help you can throw my way.

Hello to all, hopefully you can help me out. I have been trying to download(?), transfer(?), just plain old get(?) Geocache info from Geocaching.com onto a Garmin Legend. I have a Mac so I had to get a usb to serial adapter to plug in to the Mac. However, try as I may, I cannot figure out how to get anything onto the gps unit. I have downloaded all kinds of different programs such as, MacsimpleGPS, Garmin communicator, RoadTrip, GPSBabel, Maccaching, Mapinstall, Mapmanager, and boy do I feel like an idiot, because I just don't get it. What am I missing? Thank you for any help you can throw my way.

I guess the most simple way would be to download the .LOC files or create a pocket query for .GPX and then load the .LOC file (or .GPX file from the pocket query) into MapSource and send the info to the GPS from there.

Not sure what the problem is from your post. Is there a particular error or something to go by?

Before I got my Oregon, I used this kind of setup such as you describe. I had one of the old blue Legends and used MacCaching. The .gpx files are downloaded from geocaching.com, then dragged and dropped into MacCaching. You then hit "to gps" to get them on your gps receiver. Yes, you do have to use a usb to serial adapter for the older Legends. There are some problems with certain types of serial adapters in this setup, however, and you need to have the correct adapter drivers installed for the computer to recognize the gps over the serial cable. If using MacCaching, you need to select Garmin as the protocol, you also need to make sure you have the correct serial port in the "to GPS" window selected if you've got more than one serial device available. Legends should be able to hold the entire cache name, although I know in the yellow Etrexes, you have to set it to Strip GC because the name is too long. Also make sure your GPSr has the most updated firmware.

I had some similar problems at first when I hooked up my Legend. You should try searching this forum using keywords Legend or Garmin and Serial. You might also try the Garmin forum/faqs, or the forums of the Mac caching program you are using.

http://www.gpsbabel.org/htmldoc-1.3.0/fmt_garmin.html

http://forums.maccaching.com/viewtopic.php...ight=serial+usb

http://forums.maccaching.com/viewtopic.php...ight=serial+usb

Have you tried downloading them directly from the cache page? I have a Mac also and an eTrex Vista, and I have no luck with Road Trip, Map Manager, or MacCaching, but I can download with no problem, one at a time, using "Send to GPS" on the cache page.

Wow, you people are great. Thanks for the info. And you're right, I didn't really explain too much about the problems I have been having. Sorry about that. But, I am going to try the suggestions that have been posted so far and hopefully I will get this figured out. Thanks again

Ok, so when I hit the "send to gps" I get a window "send to gps". Inside the window "find devices" says "found 4 devices". Listed are: Garmin Communicator Plugin, Garmin Mapinstall, Garmin Roadtrip, and the last one is, I think, my Mac computer. So, with "communicator" showing, I click on "write". It then says "geocache gct4he.gpx saved successfully". But when I look on the Legend, I cannot find it. So, I think I must still be missing a step? Or do I just not know where to look? Thanks again. Hopefully I'm not making this harder than it is, but thanks for your patience.

With problems like this you need to say which Mac OS you are using.

With problems like this you need to say which Mac OS you are using.

Thank you. Mac OS X 10.4.11

I don't believe any Garmin software will work to transfer data to your GPS because it's serial. Garmin states that fact on their website.

I've got almost the same setup as you. OSX 10.5.6 and the USB>Serial is Keyspan.

I transfer data using MacCache as it 'sees' the gps, and as BlueDamsel mentioned, you need to select the correct serial device amongst those offered. Make sure the Keyspan driver is run and the gps connected before you start MacCache.

I don't believe any Garmin software will work to transfer data to your GPS because it's serial. Garmin states that fact on their website.

I've got almost the same setup as you. OSX 10.5.6 and the USB>Serial is Keyspan.

I transfer data using MacCache as it 'sees' the gps, and as BlueDamsel mentioned, you need to select the correct serial device amongst those offered. Make sure the Keyspan driver is run and the gps connected before you start MacCache.

Thank you. I'm beginning to believe you're correct about the serial thing. My Mac does not have a serial port, hence I'm am using the usb adapter. Unfortunately I have been at this for about a week now and I still can not get it to work. Oh well, I guess I can always try to talk my way into a new gps!

Thank you to all that have attempted to help thus far.

Thank you. I'm beginning to believe you're correct about the serial thing. My Mac does not have a serial port, hence I'm am using the usb adapter. Unfortunately I have been at this for about a week now and I still can not get it to work. Oh well, I guess I can always try to talk my way into a new gps!

It just doesn't work using the Garmin software.

It works using MacCache or GPSBabel with the KeySpan usb>serial adapter.

Ok, KeySpan, huh? I have a Dynex usb>serial adapter. Maybe I"ll look for the KeySpan.

Thank you.

Ok, KeySpan, huh? I have a Dynex usb>serial adapter. Maybe I"ll look for the KeySpan.

Thank you.

a serial to usb adapter is probably the same price as a second hand etrex with a usb port.

Not true, the adapter can be had for less than $15. I paid less than this for mine. It is not a Keyspan, but it works just fine. A quick search on Amazon.com will get you a few listings from which to choose. It's worth it for someone who isn't sure they want to upgrade to a newer GPS, or doesn't need one because the old one works fine, or doesn't use one enough to justify the cost.

My blue Legend has been "out of date" for years now, but still works pretty good. The display, however, has gotten somewhat unreliable and that's the only reason I bought a new GPS. Otherwise, I'd still be using it. Plus, my little yellow 10 year old Etrex is still steaming along in perfect condition... there is absolutely NO reason to get rid of it if I can make it work, because it makes a good secondary or loaner GPS when taking newbies along.

This is correct.

Forget Garmin's software. While it works great with Macs which are USB only, with a serial to usb adapter setup, you must use a third party software program to transfer the .gpx files to your gpsr unit. MacCaching, MacJournal, etc. should all work with your OS. The gpsr unit itself has to be turned ON when connected to the computer via the serial/usb cable, or else the third party software won't see it.

I just transferred cache information to both my yellow Etrex and blue Legend for an upcoming caching trip with friends. With serial/usb cable and adapter plugged in, adapter driver installed, GPS unit connected to the cable and turned ON, I click "To GPS" in MacCaching (third party software). In the window that pops up, choose:

Send What: Usually I send Entire Library

Connection: Serial Port, then from the pulldown menu, choose the entry that matches your cable. Mine says /dev/cu.usbserial-ftDXLTZE. Yours may say something different, but it will be a similar type of name.

Protocol: Garmin (not GPX, even though you are sending GPX files)

I usually check Strip GC because I don't like reading cache names from a list of GC's, but this is your personal preference. On a Legend, it won't matter. It does matter on a yellow Etrex, because this device can't hold more than a six-letter name.

Good luck!

BlueDamsel

This is correct.

Forget Garmin's software. While it works great with Macs which are USB only, with a serial to usb adapter setup, you must use a third party software program to transfer the .gpx files to your gpsr unit. MacCaching, MacJournal, etc. should all work with your OS. The gpsr unit itself has to be turned ON when connected to the computer via the serial/usb cable, or else the third party software won't see it.

I just transferred cache information to both my yellow Etrex and blue Legend for an upcoming caching trip with friends. With serial/usb cable and adapter plugged in, adapter driver installed, GPS unit connected to the cable and turned ON, I click "To GPS" in MacCaching (third party software). In the window that pops up, choose:

Send What: Usually I send Entire Library

Connection: Serial Port, then from the pulldown menu, choose the entry that matches your cable. Mine says /dev/cu.usbserial-ftDXLTZE. Yours may say something different, but it will be a similar type of name.

Protocol: Garmin (not GPX, even though you are sending GPX files)

I usually check Strip GC because I don't like reading cache names from a list of GC's, but this is your personal preference. On a Legend, it won't matter. It does matter on a yellow Etrex, because this device can't hold more than a six-letter name.

Good luck!

BlueDamsel

Eureka!!!!!!!! Blue Damsel, you're the best!!!!! I tip my hat to you and all the others. Thank you all very much for the help. After all the angst over this whole episode, it is finally working the way I had hoped. Thank you once again to everyone who contributed. Happy Geocaching!

!!!!!!! Blue Damsel, you're the best!!!!! I tip my hat to you and all the others. Thank you all very much for the help. After all the angst over this whole episode, it is finally working the way I had hoped. Thank you once again to everyone who contributed. Happy Geocaching!

You are very welcome! Glad to be of help!

You'll love this once you get the hang of loading several hundred caches at a pop with this procedure and Pocket Queries.

Now, with MacCaching, if you have an iPod, hook it up and let it update from iTunes, THEN, load your GPS as normal but this time check the iPod option in the "To GPS" window. Now you will have paperless geocaching via the Notes function on your iPod! It will hold the most pertinent cache page information except for the last five logs, but this is usually enough for successful paperless caching.