Receiving satellite signal on an airplane

azrunner1

I thought it would be neat to see what my Oregon showed while I was on a recent airplane flight. However I was unable to receive a signal. Does the body of the airplane block the signal? If not what might have been the reason that I could not recieve a signal at cruising altititude? I was on a commercial airliner sitting in the first row. Thanks

Yes, the metal body will block the signal. You have to hold the GPS unit within several inches of a window, and even then some aircraft have a thin window film which shields internal instruments from "interference" such as radio waves and GPS signals. It is more often found on cockpit windshields than those in the passenger cabin.

I thought it would be neat to see what my Oregon showed while I was on a recent airplane flight. However I was unable to receive a signal. Does the body of the airplane block the signal? If not what might have been the reason that I could not recieve a signal at cruising altititude? I was on a commercial airliner sitting in the first row. Thanks

I used my GPS V on an airplane and I needed a window seat, but it worked. I would expect some of the newer GPS's with high sensitivity receivers to work even better.

Last year I went to Madrid in Vueling, I was sitted near the window with my yellow Garmin on my hand. I tried holding it against the window, locked enough satellites and then switched off the GPS.

One of the guys from the crew saw my GPS and gave me a 5 minute reprehension. I showed him that the device was off and said that the GPS only has a reception antenna (the signal is already there, I just catch it) and it would not interfere with the airplane. Still then, I listened "You would cause an airplane crash and kill everyboby!". The fun part was that everybody stared at me like if I had an yellow bomb. ;)

It should be fun to see the speed, altitude and the route of the flight.

:o

This entire post just to say that even an old yellow etrex can grab satellites if you hold it against the window.

I had signal issues on an Amtrak ride from California to New Mexico. A window seat (as opposed to the seat just 18" inward from the window), or a move to the observation car seemed to solve the signal issue. Apparently, glass and plexiglass don't block the signals as much as the metals in the bodies...it sounds like it may be the same thing on airplanes.

Edited by Jeepergeo

Tested this, I could see a few satellites but my Garmin eTrex Venture HC could not give me a location fix on the plane, on a 777, window seat, near the wing. Later after I landed, it had a hard time getting a fix as well, until I manually gave it a new position approximately where I was, then it locked on in seconds.

So, if it can't lock, try to give it a new position or force it to re-scan (though re-scan did not work for me on the plane).

HERE is a nice comprehensive summary of the issues of using a handheld GOS receiver on commercial aircraft.

HERE is an updated list of airlines which APPROVE or DISAPPROVE their use. I have noticed that is reent times, the APPROVED is getting longer, and the DISPROVED list is getting shorter.

When they had time, several Southwest & United flight attendants have stopped to chat & look at my GPS receiver to see where we were, our altitude, airspeed, etc. My Delorme PN-40 has worked anywhere near the window, even sitting on the fold down tray or armrest (window seat). Fun!

Remember: never disagree with a crew member. Just do what they say, even if they seem to be incorrect.

Just wanted to add my experience here, and echo the advice of always follow crew instructions regardless of what the "approved list" says. I took my Map 76CSx from Kansas City to Denver, then to San Diego; with the same connections coming back to Kansas City. Four different planes all on United Airlines. On the first leg (757), I asked the Stewardess while boarding, she didn't know and invited me up to the cockpit to speak with the Pilot. The Pilot invited me INTO the cockpit (sweet!!) , we chattedabout it a while, he wanted to use it himself, ultimately said "no problem" and sent me off to my seat. Unfortunately I was seated near the aisle and couldn't get enough of a signal lock from there. When boarding the plane in Denver (A319), that Stewardess just said "no problem". I was seated in the middle seat (next one in from the window) and the 76 CSx had to work a while, but eventually found enough birds to get a fix. The pilot also had the FAA channel on, so I could listen to the traffic controllers direct the plane and watch our heading and satellite elevation through the flight. Just simple cool stuff! On the return flight in San Diego (737), I asked, and was given a very terse "NO". Mind you, this was still United, but regardless, always follow the flight crew's instructions. And of course, I had a window seat for THAT flight. :laughing: Now boarding in Denver (another 737), the Stewardess answered "yeah, I think I've seen that done before, go ahead". AND with a window seat! Happy Day! :huh:

Anyway, ask when boarding and follow their instructions. Certainly not worth the trouble you could find yourself in.

Cheers!

It would be interesting to know if your GPS will show you your groundspeed since many commercial units are limited to displaying something like 200MPH.

But yes, a metal tube is a Faraday Cage and even windows are well recessed into the body of a large place so much less than half a sky is visible, usually.

It would be interesting to know if your GPS will show you your groundspeed since many commercial units are limited to displaying something like 200MPH.

My Explorist 500 shows the ground speed.

Yep, did ground speed, but in MPH, not knots. Up to 575 MPH. But it also recorded altitude by cabin pressure, not GPS altitude.

My Explorist 500 shows the ground speed.

Yep, did ground speed, but in MPH, not knots. Up to 575 MPH. But it also recorded altitude by cabin pressure, not GPS altitude.

You must have the 600 or another model that has the barometer. The Explorist 500 does not have a barometer, and it shows the actual elevation as calculated from the gps signals.

Interesting that you asked that. I just got back from a trip to Alberta and captured both the flight there (Abbotsford->Calgary) and the flight back (Edmonton->Abbotsford) on my Colorado 300. The elevation data isn't accurate, but the speed is spot on and showed 800km/h or more while at cruising altitude.

Here's the MapSource file if anyone is interested in taking a look at the data.

http://members.shaw.ca/teddy2k/web/Teddy2k%20Flights.gdb