Garmin GPSMAP 60 Csx - Buyer's Remorse?

buster71

Well, here's the story.

Knowing that I loved hiking / mountain biking, my brother got me a Magellan Triton 200 as a Christmas gift last month. Truth is, I've always gotten by just fine with printed maps/trail guides, or by simply remembering waypoints along a route by making mental notes of landmarks. Anyhow, while reading the setup guide for my Triton, I came across this word I've never seen before..."Geocaching". Well, once I looked up what it was, I knew I had to try it. Over these past 3 weeks, I've located my first ~2 dozen caches using the Triton, and have been impressed with it's accuracy, ease of use, and it's ability to put me right next to the cache each and every time. I live in NYC, so my caching and hiking is limited to urban/suburban environs. Even when I do travel a bit out of the City to explore rural areas, I'm still never far away from civilization. To put it simply, I don't think the GPS would ever be a tool I'll need to depend on to "save my life". That being said, the I've had no problems with the Triton 200 (despite the terrible reviews all over the Internet about this unit), but kept seeing talk about the 60Csx all over the forums. So, when I randomly stumbled upon the $159 Amazon deal last Friday morning, I jumped on it.

Well, received the unit today, and am having trouble making sense of how I'm going to easily use the unit. For right now, I simply want to explore geocaching as a hobby a little bit more, and I fear the Triton is actually better suited for this? It's so easy to use, and one click from geocaching.com, and one click from Vantage Point loads all the information I need into the Triton, including cache descriptions and hints. With the 60Csx...well, GSAK? POILoader? Custom Points of Interest? It just seems so much. And to make it worse, I use a MacBook (yes, I can boot into Vista using Boot Camp, btu still...).

Anyway, I'm just feeling that the 60Csx is a bit much for me, although I'm glad I got it for $159. Maybe it would be easier if I just used the Geocaching function and loaded the descriptions/hints into my Ipod Touch, since I usually carry that as well? Or maybe I should continue using my Triton for geocaching and reserve the 60Csx for urban exploration and forays into the backcountry?

Dunno what to do. Sorry for the rambling, just trying to put my own thoughts together and looking for similar experiences or encouragement!

<_<

Well, here's the story.

Knowing that I loved hiking / mountain biking, my brother got me a Magellan Triton 200 as a Christmas gift last month. Truth is, I've always gotten by just fine with printed maps/trail guides, or by simply remembering waypoints along a route by making mental notes of landmarks. Anyhow, while reading the setup guide for my Triton, I came across this word I've never seen before..."Geocaching". Well, once I looked up what it was, I knew I had to try it. Over these past 3 weeks, I've located my first ~2 dozen caches using the Triton, and have been impressed with it's accuracy, ease of use, and it's ability to put me right next to the cache each and every time. I live in NYC, so my caching and hiking is limited to urban/suburban environs. Even when I do travel a bit out of the City to explore rural areas, I'm still never far away from civilization. To put it simply, I don't think the GPS would ever be a tool I'll need to depend on to "save my life". That being said, the I've had no problems with the Triton 200 (despite the terrible reviews all over the Internet about this unit), but kept seeing talk about the 60Csx all over the forums. So, when I randomly stumbled upon the $159 Amazon deal last Friday morning, I jumped on it.

Well, received the unit today, and am having trouble making sense of how I'm going to easily use the unit. For right now, I simply want to explore geocaching as a hobby a little bit more, and I fear the Triton is actually better suited for this? It's so easy to use, and one click from geocaching.com, and one click from Vantage Point loads all the information I need into the Triton, including cache descriptions and hints. With the 60Csx...well, GSAK? POILoader? Custom Points of Interest? It just seems so much. And to make it worse, I use a MacBook (yes, I can boot into Vista using Boot Camp, btu still...).

Anyway, I'm just feeling that the 60Csx is a bit much for me, although I'm glad I got it for $159. Maybe it would be easier if I just used the Geocaching function and loaded the descriptions/hints into my Ipod Touch, since I usually carry that as well? Or maybe I should continue using my Triton for geocaching and reserve the 60Csx for urban exploration and forays into the backcountry?

Dunno what to do. Sorry for the rambling, just trying to put my own thoughts together and looking for similar experiences or encouragement!

<_<

I'll buy it from you........

You might be making too much of all this. First, go to Garmin's site and download ALL of the Mac software, it's free, and it'll make more sense to you.

Then, look through the forums to for the free maps posts, you'll be able to get some helpful maps (I think).

Once you've got the Mac software, and the maps downloaded. The Map Install/Map Manager software will help you download the maps to your 60 CSx, and to RoadTrip really easily. Be sure to load Garmin Communicator

Then, sign on to geocaching.com, find a cache you want to hunt, make sure your GPSr is plugged into the USB port, and click the send to GPS button. The Communicator window pops up, click WRITE, and it's on you GPSr.

When you want to head out, press the find button on your GPS, find the cache you want to hunt, and click GO TO.

When you get home, plug it in, open Road Trip, click RECEIVE, and it will load your trip into RoadTrip.

I just got my gear in Dec., it's pretty easy to pick up on. BTW, I've noticed issues using my Garmin with my iMac if I have an iPod plugged in too. Unplug the iPod before trying all this and save yourself some frustration.

Edited by SD Marc

ndfesh - <_< I'm still determined to give it a go. Once I use the 60Csx out on a hunt, I maybe decide I like using it! If not, well, then I'll let you know!

SD Marc - Thanks for the encouragement and the tips. I will check them out. I'm determined to learn how to get the most out of the unit! It just that because the Triton 200 is so limited (or so I've read), learning to use it was a breeze. I think I was spoiled by the nice, high-res screen and the ability to go paperless with it. I understand the 60Csx is a much more capable unit, so I wanna learn how to utilize it's capabilities.

ndfesh - <_< I'm still determined to give it a go. Once I use the 60Csx out on a hunt, I maybe decide I like using it! If not, well, then I'll let you know!

SD Marc - Thanks for the encouragement and the tips. I will check them out. I'm determined to learn how to get the most out of the unit! It just that because the Triton 200 is so limited (or so I've read), learning to use it was a breeze. I think I was spoiled by the nice, high-res screen and the ability to go paperless with it. I understand the 60Csx is a much more capable unit, so I wanna learn how to utilize it's capabilities.

I also took advantage of the $159 deal on Amazon, but a few weeks before you. I had some questions, and had to figure some stuff out, but it'll come, it's fairly intuitive.

A couple things I can tell you... paperless is all it's cracked up to be. If not for a pal with an iPhone, I'd have been stumped on a few caches. If you can use your other GPS in that manner, it's worth a thought.

This site is a great resource http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/. A gret place for maps. I wasn't pretty underwhelmed with Garmin's TOPO US map. City Navigator is nice though, especially if you use to find places, other than caches, in the city.

I fish and hike, and the 60CSx shows me tides, good fishing times (from lunar charts), lets me mark spots, then find the nearest Taco Shop when I'm done. Adding maps also adds funtionality, such as tides, Points of Interest, etc.

There are a lot of nice people on here who'll help you out, and not make you feel like a tool for asking noob questions.

I guess I'm going to sound like a contrarian here but I would trust your first instincts about the Triton rather than giving in to envy of something else just because lots of people rave about.

None of the Garmin handhelds are intuitive by even the most lenient definition. Obviously they can be learned if you spend enough time. But just think about how much enjoyment you could have, out there finding caches with the Triton instead of banging your fingers, and head, against the keyboard trying to make the 60CSx work at least as well for you as the Triton does already.

If you had had difficulties with the Triton I could understand your wanting to change. If the 60CSx was a genuine "upgrade", that would make sense. But you didn't have any problems at all with the Triton and now the best you can hope for is to get the 60CSx to work "as well as". Why not spend the time caching with the Triton instead?

For the record, I do not own and have never used a Triton. Wouldn't know one if I tripped over it. I own an eTrex Legend HCx and love it to pieces. But it's not intuitive by any sensible definition. I had to spend time learning how to use it and if I don't use it for a couple of weeks I have to relearn half the stuff all over again.

Go have fun with the Triton and don't let others' opinions fool you into not trusting your own reactions to it. Only spend valuable time mucking with the 60CSx if you genuinely enjoy learning geeky stuff or have masochistic tendencies. <_<

...ken...

I fish and hike, and the 60CSx shows me tides
Where do I find tide info on the 60CSx?

You have to have a topo installed, at least mine didn't show up until I had installed TOPO US. If you do have one installed, you go to the coast, and you'll see these little two-toned blue circles. Those are tide stations, it you click one, and hit Enter, it will show you the tides. In San Diego, it shows all the "official" tide stations.

I fish and hike, and the 60CSx shows me tides
Where do I find tide info on the 60CSx?

You have to have a topo installed, at least mine didn't show up until I had installed TOPO US. If you do have one installed, you go to the coast, and you'll see these little two-toned blue circles. Those are tide stations, it you click one, and hit Enter, it will show you the tides. In San Diego, it shows all the "official" tide stations.

Thanks Marc! I never knew it was there. It shows on my 24K Topo MicroSD card.
... Where do I find tide info on the 60CSx?

There was a free download on Garmin (I think) that was called GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points that installed a "Map" in Mapsource that contained all the Tide information. When it's loaded in my 60CSx I can access Tide information, without it I cannot. I didn't find any Tide data in the basic 60CSx.

The file is RecommendedMapSourceUSTidesSoftware.exe but I can't find it on Garmin website. Someone previoiusly posted a link to it and I downloaded it a couple of months ago.

Bob

... Where do I find tide info on the 60CSx?

There was a free download on Garmin (I think) that was called GPSMAP 162/168 Tide Points that installed a "Map" in Mapsource that contained all the Tide information. When it's loaded in my 60CSx I can access Tide information, without it I cannot. I didn't find any Tide data in the basic 60CSx.

The file is RecommendedMapSourceUSTidesSoftware.exe but I can't find it on Garmin website. Someone previoiusly posted a link to it and I downloaded it a couple of months ago.

Bob

Here ya go, the TideData.

I never knew it was there. It shows on my 24K Topo MicroSD card.

You should also be able to search for the tide info on the unit in addition to selecting them from the map. They will be listed under Tide Stations.

Right, if you hit the "Find" button, you can scroll to "Marine Points" and "Tide Stations" will be in there. From there, select one nearest your interest.

If you fish or hunt, it may be of interest that the "Lunar Tables" are also on the 60CSx. They supposedly tell you the best times to fish. Some people don't put too much stock in them, but I fish with an older gentlemen who keeps meticulous notes, and according to his personal data, they're pretty accurate. In the Main Menu, it's under Hunt & Fish.

And for the record, I agree with Ken in Regina, if your other GPSr is working so well for you, why not stick with it?

Edited by SD Marc

None of the Garmin handhelds are intuitive by even the most lenient definition. Obviously they can be learned if you spend enough time. But just think about how much enjoyment you could have, out there finding caches with the Triton instead of banging your fingers, and head, against the keyboard trying to make the 60CSx work at least as well for you as the Triton does already.

Disagree with this, I have owned three different Garmins, the latest being the Oregon model, and I think they're all plenty intuitive. I've been able to figure out how to do anything I need to do just by pushing the buttons and looking around, without even having an owner's manual (the Oregon didn't come with anything but a very small quickstart guide)! I guess it depends on your comfort level with these types of devices, but I've never been afraid to just go through all the menus one by one and find out what they do. You can't hurt the device by clicking around in it. With the Oregon, I find it's pretty blatant what each button/profile/area does. I've managed to load and find geocaches, upload their field notes, create and find waypoints, create and edit a route/track, use the maps, upload POI's, use City Navigator, play Wherigo, create my own profiles, customize the display and settings, and I've only had this thing for two weeks.

There's always a learning curve with every new device where I say, "geez, I wish this did this function like my beloved old device did". But then, I find something in the new device that I say, "wow! how did I ever live without this on the old piece of blankety-blank!". I suggest you leave your Triton at home for a few days, take the 60CSx out for a while and play around with it a little bit. If at last, you just find you don't like it as well as your Triton, at least you got it dirt cheap and you can sell it at a profit, even used.

Or, keep it as a backup. I still have my two previous Garmins which both work, and I keep them around for lending to non-geocaching friends or newbies who I've taken along on a cache run.

One other thing, Garmins are fairly Mac-friendly, for electronic devices of this type. I think the Oregon is even more so than the 60CSx, but even so, Garmin provides enough Mac-based software for all their GPS units that you should not have to run any programs off BootCamp or the like. You can also get a program called MacCaching that you might enjoy using. It's what I used to use with my Legend before I moved to the Oregon.

Edited by BlueDamsel

None of the Garmin handhelds are intuitive by even the most lenient definition. Obviously they can be learned if you spend enough time. ...

Disagree with this, I have owned three different Garmins, the latest being the Oregon model, and I think they're all plenty intuitive. ...

Hi BlueDamsel,

I'm simply using "intuitive" by its proper definition. Unlike what many people think, "Intuitive" does not mean "easy to learn". Just the opposite, in fact. If you have to "learn" it, whether by reading the manual and/or trial-and-error, it's not intuitive. The second definition below is the one that applies to this situation.

Adj. 1. intuitive - spontaneously derived from or prompted by a natural tendency

2. intuitive - obtained through intuition rather than from reasoning or observation

I'm not suggesting that the original poster get rid of the 60CSx. I'm simply encouraging him not to be discouraged about the Triton simply because a lot of techno-weenies on GPS forums don't like simple gadgets like the Triton and love complicated gadgets like the 60CSx.

Go back and read the original post. The original poster was out of the box and having fun with the Triton in hardly any time at all, with no help from anyone. He had a bunch of caches found with the Triton, including downloading caches from here into the Triton, with no help from anyone. He had no trouble finding the caches with the Triton. He says it always puts him very close to them.

So, let's review .. the original poster says that the Triton was, for him, easy to learn, easy to use, easy to download cache information for paperless caching without a bunch of extra programs and multiple learning curves, accurate enough to get close to the caches every time, screen is big and bright and easy to read. ... You know, if I dig through the bulk of the discussions in this section of the forum and pulled out all the things people are looking for in the perfect geocaching GPS device, that would be pretty much the ideal list.

Why on earth would anyone try to persuade him to use something different???

Contrast that with his introduction to the 60CSx. After banging his head against the wall trying to learn it from the manual, trial-and-error and reading a bunch of the stuff already published here, he has not been able to come close to what he accomplished quickly and painlessly with the Triton. He has been forced to ask for help just to figure out where to start down the long and complicated road to doing with the 60CSx what he already knows how to do with the Triton.

I think it's fine if he wants to learn how to use the 60CSx now that he's got it. I'll never discourage anyone from learning new things, if that's what they wish to do. The 60CSx is a fine device if you need the features it has and want to spend the time to learn how to use them. As I said, I love my eTrex Legend HCx to pieces and there's hardly any difference. I just don't want him, or anyone else, to lose sight of the heart and soul of the original post.....

He already has a device - his Triton - that everyone in here is constantly searching for .. the Holy Grail of geocaching: a device that allows him to do easy, effective, paperless caching. Does it get any better than that?

...ken...

I think the big problem is the OP did not understand the 60csx does not do paperless caching. Fine hiking GPS, but paperless caching is not what it does.

Re-sell the 60csx on eBay and make a profit. Keep the Triton as you are happy with it. Simple really.

Hey, bingo! Yes, I got my Triton less than a month ago, and previously had never even heard of the sport of geocaching. I immediately researched online about the Triton (due to the lack of documentation that came with it), and all I read was about how "limited it was", how much of a "POS" it is, how people got one and returned it within 10 minutes after using it. And this was about the Triton 400, which is 2 levels higher than my 200! So, naturally, I figured every other handheld out there would stomp my Triton to shame. I admit, while I don't necessarily need the "latest and greatest", I often do find I don't like having the "base model". So without doing much research, I hopped on the 60CSx deal.

I will stick with the 60CSx and explore it's capabilities. Worse case scenario - I use the Triton as my caching companion, and save the 60CSx for my hikes through unfamiliar territory. I'll use whatever tool serves me best for any particular activity, once I figure out the strengths/weaknesses of each.

Thanks to all for the great suggestions and encouragement. This forum is really great for newbies to come into and get loads of information!

$159 is a great deal! My 76 CSx, which is a close cousin to the 60 CSx, was over $400 a little over year ago on Amazon.

The Garmin mapping units like the 60 CSx are very capable for navigation, mapping, and geocaching, but their use, in my opinion, is not so intuitive that the typical, relatively new-to-GPS user would understand without studying the instructions. Switching from my Garmin 76 CSx to the Garmin 60 CSx for a weekend trip was nearly effortless, but then I'd read the instructions for the 76 CSx from cover to cover and had used it for nearly six months.

When out caching, the abilty to have electronic versions of the cache page information would be a great tool, but so far, I have not figured out how to do that on either the 76 or 60 CSx - and reading the posts above suggests that it is not even possible - so I"ll continue to print the cache pages when I upload the location data from geocaching.com (that is easy to do).

ndfesh - :yikes: I'm still determined to give it a go. Once I use the 60Csx out on a hunt, I maybe decide I like using it! If not, well, then I'll let you know!

thanks but i was lucky enough to score a unit at amazon this morning for $159.

None of the Garmin handhelds are intuitive by even the most lenient definition. Obviously they can be learned if you spend enough time. ...

Disagree with this, I have owned three different Garmins, the latest being the Oregon model, and I think they're all plenty intuitive. ...

Hi BlueDamsel,

I'm simply using "intuitive" by its proper definition. Unlike what many people think, "Intuitive" does not mean "easy to learn". Just the opposite, in fact. If you have to "learn" it, whether by reading the manual and/or trial-and-error, it's not intuitive. The second definition below is the one that applies to this situation.

Adj. 1. intuitive - spontaneously derived from or prompted by a natural tendency

2. intuitive - obtained through intuition rather than from reasoning or observation

I'm not suggesting that the original poster get rid of the 60CSx. I'm simply encouraging him not to be discouraged about the Triton simply because a lot of techno-weenies on GPS forums don't like simple gadgets like the Triton and love complicated gadgets like the 60CSx.

Go back and read the original post. The original poster was out of the box and having fun with the Triton in hardly any time at all, with no help from anyone. He had a bunch of caches found with the Triton, including downloading caches from here into the Triton, with no help from anyone. He had no trouble finding the caches with the Triton. He says it always puts him very close to them.

So, let's review .. the original poster says that the Triton was, for him, easy to learn, easy to use, easy to download cache information for paperless caching without a bunch of extra programs and multiple learning curves, accurate enough to get close to the caches every time, screen is big and bright and easy to read. ... You know, if I dig through the bulk of the discussions in this section of the forum and pulled out all the things people are looking for in the perfect geocaching GPS device, that would be pretty much the ideal list.

Why on earth would anyone try to persuade him to use something different???

Contrast that with his introduction to the 60CSx. After banging his head against the wall trying to learn it from the manual, trial-and-error and reading a bunch of the stuff already published here, he has not been able to come close to what he accomplished quickly and painlessly with the Triton. He has been forced to ask for help just to figure out where to start down the long and complicated road to doing with the 60CSx what he already knows how to do with the Triton.

I think it's fine if he wants to learn how to use the 60CSx now that he's got it. I'll never discourage anyone from learning new things, if that's what they wish to do. The 60CSx is a fine device if you need the features it has and want to spend the time to learn how to use them. As I said, I love my eTrex Legend HCx to pieces and there's hardly any difference. I just don't want him, or anyone else, to lose sight of the heart and soul of the original post.....

He already has a device - his Triton - that everyone in here is constantly searching for .. the Holy Grail of geocaching: a device that allows him to do easy, effective, paperless caching. Does it get any better than that?

...ken...

Hello back,

I'm not sure you completely read my original post. I still disagree with you, since according to the definition you posted here, the Garmin Oregon I have fits this definition exactly. I was disagreeing with your saying that all Garmins in general are not intuitive. It took little or no playing around to figure out how to accomplish the tasks I needed to accomplish on the Oregon. I didn't even have to look at the quickstart guide. I've never consulted a manual of any kind to figure out how to use it. I also actually found that my old Legend had little, if any, learning curve although it was not as easy as the Oregon. If that's not intuitive, then the device needs to talk to me and tell me what buttons to push!

To me, that's about how the OP describes using his Triton. And I know there are many 60CSx owners who haven't found it the least difficult to use their devices, and swear by them.

I think where the difference lies is that intuitive to one person is not intuitive to another. I'm not trying to dissuade the OP from the Triton at all. I'm saying give the new GPS a trial run before discarding it out of hand. I just wanted him to see that while some people have difficulties using a Garmin, others have no problem at all. Plus, he may find that some of the whiz bang features that a more complex device has, are actually useful to him, and will add to his outdoor enjoyment down the road.

And that's why I suggested he give it a trial run. Since he's already purchased it, this suggestion is not dissuading him from the Triton and does not change his current situation in the least. If anything, it's a good chance to try two different units and go forward with knowledge instead of ignorance. If he finds he doesn't like the Garmin, he can always sell it, and go back to the Triton, as I said before.

Just my opinion, and like yours, that's all it is... my opinion.

Edited by BlueDamsel

ndfesh - ;) I'm still determined to give it a go. Once I use the 60Csx out on a hunt, I maybe decide I like using it! If not, well, then I'll let you know!

thanks but i was lucky enough to score a unit at amazon this morning for $159.

Mind my asking how folks are getting 60Csx's for only $159 at Amazon?! That's an amazing deal, and I'll buy another one for family if I can find it.

Ack, nevermind, I found a bunch of threads regarding this on the front page.

Thanks,

Comrade Ammocanov of the CLF.

Edited by Cache Liberation Front

I have a Triton, and a CSx, and an Oregon. I've been using the Oregon for about a month now, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I also loved my CSx, and still do, for many things. The Triton...well...not so much. The main issues being that it doesn't hold anywhere near as many caches as I want to carry, and the buttons SUCK. I do enjoy all the extras (It's a 2000) so it plays/shoots videos, photos, voicenotes, etc. It has a cool touch screen, and I have satellite maps in it. I have the sweet cache pages in it too. It does a lot of great stuff, but those pesky buttons really slow me down. It's also not a very fast processor. A lag every time I press a button really gets to be a pain after a while.

I know a lot of folks who use a CSx with an Ipod...and that sounds pretty cool. If you really want to just have ONE device tho, I recommend the Oregon. Most of the extras on the Triton 2000 are pretty irrelevant to caching. The Oregon really has everything you'd ever need, and nothing you are going to miss. I do like having the satellite maps in the triton, however, and there are times when I really would miss them.

Just my opion since i've never used a Triton but, I have had my 60csx for a number of years and it has been wonderful and still is! That trusty GPSr has led me to almost 1,100 caches with very little problems. Once you get used to it I think you will be more than happy with it and will be VERY glad you got it!

Just my opion since i've never used a Triton but, I have had my 60csx for a number of years and it has been wonderful and still is! That trusty GPSr has led me to almost 1,100 caches with very little problems. Once you get used to it I think you will be more than happy with it and will be VERY glad you got it!

Does the GPSMAP® 60CSx hold hints, cache logs and cahe info, or do I need the Palm/ IPhone for that?

I have a Triton, and a CSx, and an Oregon. I've been using the Oregon for about a month now, and LOVE LOVE LOVE it. I also loved my CSx, and still do, for many things.

Bunkerdave.... thanks so much for your advice in choosing between the Oregon and the 60CSx... I am echoing you on this one... I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Oregon. I cannot now figure out how I found so many caches without all the cool stuff that this unit does for me. I put City Navigator on it, and it really has made city caching so much more efficient because I can quickly see the best route to a cache and do every cache in an area with a minimum of driving. Surprisingly, City Nav has a lot of landforms on it (rivers, lakes, parks, etc.) as well as streets and although they are not in relief, it's quite a bit more useful than the plain basemap, even though it is not a topo.

And I don't use paper anymore - not ever - for anything except a tiny notepad for working out puzzle cache solutions in the field. The cache notes on the Oregon are awesome. This unit is the BOMB for geocaching.

Does the GPSMAP® 60CSx hold hints, cache logs and cahe info, or do I need the Palm/ IPhone for that?

The 60 CSx does not hold hints or logs.

It is a very common practise to put hints in to POI on the CSx. It holds somewhere around 100 characters that you can do with what you want.

You don't have to use Palm or iPhone. A Windows Mobile device is my preference. I always take a phone with me anyway, so it's no extra hardship and it's great to have a backup GPSr with you. Also handles far superior maps than the Garmin ones.