Technical tree climbing and geocaches

Groleau

I love geocaching. I also do technical tree climbing using ropes, ascenders,carabiners etc. My question is: should I put some caches in trees if its limits many fellow geocaches? Is this fair, and am I being elitist? The caches would only be available to folks who have the equipment and knowledge. The rating would probably be a 4 or 5. I've set out many caches, but never in trees. What do you think?

I love geocaching. I also do technical tree climbing using ropes, ascenders,carabiners etc. My question is: should I put some caches in trees if its limits many fellow geocaches? Is this fair, and am I being elitist? The caches would only be available to folks who have the equipment and knowledge. The rating would probably be a 4 or 5. I've set out many caches, but never in trees. What do you think?

Technical Tree climbing is very different than your average cache in a tree. (I can think of two local caches where you have to climb to get the cache.) The question really is there enough cachers out there who'd take the time to do the cache? Would you expect others to have the equipment or access to it? I know there are caches where you need repelling or climbing gear. Is this the same?

I can't hunt, find and log caches that are outside of my abilities and comfort zone. This can be physical or mental. Hide caches that you think are good, cool and fun. Not everyone will hunt them but that is perfectly fine. Just don't expect a lot of finds for "extreme" hides.

Place the cache. Rate it five for terrain. Make it very clear on the cache page the skills and gear that will be needed. Sit back and wait a year or so for the first log! Those who find it will really enjoy it I am sure.

I like to climb trees, but haven't the skills to do a really tricky one like that sadly. <_<

Annie

This cache in Georgia requires technical tree climbing. It was placed in September 2007 and already has 21 finds! It's placed at a location that provides equipment and guidance, so the find count is higher than one that would require cachers to access it on their own, but it does show cachers want to do it and the logs indicate they love the experience.

Sure, go for it. Just know that there probably won't be a lot of people logging the find.

I have one "in a tree", but no climbing is needed.

I agree with what most others have said. If it's a cache that you'd enjoy finding, then you should hide those types.

It sounds like it would be a 5 terrain if special equipment is needed.

You might want to put a note on the cache page letting people know beforehand what's involved in getting the cache so that "average" cachers don't go out and try to find it.

As long as the terrain rating is appropriate and the tree is solid enough, you shouldn't get too many complaints.

I usually avoid caches that involve climbing, though I have struggled up a few trees (if I did much work getting to that point and it was doable without special equipment or high probability of death). But I got really annoyed once when I saw the final of a multi way up a tree... and even the lowest (largest) limbs of the tree wouldn't support my weight. How did people get that cache? Most of them sent a kid up the tree, a couple came back with a ladder.

If you need special equipment to find a cache, the cache page should say so. If you think your tree will only support 120 pounds, the cache page should really say so... not all that many cachers in that weight category <_<

In searching for an appropriate cache to claim as our #500th find, we located a 5/5 rated cache in the Ocala National Forest, Florida. This cache was located up a tree that looked to thin for me to climb. However, we keep a bunch of 2' sections of PCV piping with connectors, duct tape, clothes hanger, bungee cords and other gadgets that may come in handy. We nabbed this small cache located 25' up a tree without leaving the ground. So to climb or not, when there's a will there's a way! <_<

I can't hunt, find and log caches that are outside of my abilities and comfort zone. This can be physical or mental. Hide caches that you think are good, cool and fun. Not everyone will hunt them but that is perfectly fine. Just don't expect a lot of finds for "extreme" hides.

Good summary. They will make a few happy cachers who like the challenge, and a lot of others will have to pass. The variety does caching as a whole a lot of good.

Is this fair, and am I being elitist?

Yes to both. Fairness is irrelevant when hiding caches. All are equally fair. Also, there are some who might argue that anything rated above a 1/1 is "elitist" to some extent. ;) Being an ol' fat crippled guy, doing technical climbing may be outside my abilities, but I'd still love to try it someday. Getting a smiley for my efforts just adds to the experience. Go for it! :o

Climbing trees is not common associated with geocaching. I would not expect a cache to be up at tree any distance at all. So would suggest it be explained as cat 5 due to tree climbing. Unless specified, I expect a cache to be accessible without a shovel, without tools, without anything other than maybe a stick or flashlight. Without specific instructions, would even a person who can climb, just happen to have climbing gear with them? No.. so they would have to drive home and return. I think we are outside the generally accepted notion of caching with this one. Adds nothing to the sport. Let's don't...

This cache in Georgia requires technical tree climbing. It was placed in September 2007 and already has 21 finds! It's placed at a location that provides equipment and guidance, so the find count is higher than one that would require cachers to access it on their own, but it does show cachers want to do it and the logs indicate they love the experience.

Here is a similar one not to far from me. It's not in a tree but it does require repelling equipment. Take a look at the listing and some of the 32 Found It logs.

Climbing trees is not common associated with geocaching. I would not expect a cache to be up at tree any distance at all. So would suggest it be explained as cat 5 due to tree climbing. Unless specified, I expect a cache to be accessible without a shovel, without tools, without anything other than maybe a stick or flashlight. Without specific instructions, would even a person who can climb, just happen to have climbing gear with them? No.. so they would have to drive home and return. I think we are outside the generally accepted notion of caching with this one. Adds nothing to the sport. Let's don't...

Wow! ;) I'm speechless. Terrain rating tells you how difficult the terrain will be. 1 means wheelchair accessile. 5 means special equipment will probably be required.

Back to OP, there's a 5/5 nearby that you should investigate. Though it is MOC. It's about 45 feet up a tree. Klahym 5 for terrain seems accurate. But the 5 for Difficulty is definitely off. It can be seen from the ground. Should probably be rated 1/5.

I have a series of tree climbing caches that are no where near as extreme as you are talking about. Each cache is about 12 - 15 feet up. But I do have a "bonus cache" as I call it because it is too close to the other caches to get listed but it was such a great tree that I had to put it out there to find. It can be found at the bottom of the listing of this cache.

Climb a Tree, Find Cache

The cache is 34 ft up the tree and no equipment is necessary. This tree is great and it looks like a ladder. I actually could have gone even higher but I didn't want to completely scare people off from it.

Climbing trees is not common associated with geocaching.

So based on your version of the game, there is no place for scuba diving only caches, boats required caches, mountaineering only caches? I'm glad your narrow-minded version of geocaching is not the norm.

I would not expect a cache to be up at tree any distance at all. So would suggest it be explained as cat 5 due to tree climbing. Unless specified, I expect a cache to be accessible without a shovel, without tools, without anything other than maybe a stick or flashlight. Without specific instructions, would even a person who can climb, just happen to have climbing gear with them? No.. so they would have to drive home and return. I think we are outside the generally accepted notion of caching with this one. Adds nothing to the sport. Let's don't...

Short answer, take the time to read the cache page description, and pay close attention to the terrain rating.

To some climbing gear, scuba gear, and survival gear are commonly used gear. Different strokes for different folks.

I have seen a few caches where you need climbing gear to access them, and these ones are definitely on my to do list. I know a lot of other people that are climbers, just not any that are technical tree climbers, but it could just be that there aren't a whole lot of trees in my area to climb :yikes: I definitely wouldn't call it elitest, and if you pick a cool location you might actually get a lot of cachers into a new sport!

I have seen a few caches where you need climbing gear to access them, and these ones are definitely on my to do list. I know a lot of other people that are climbers, just not any that are technical tree climbers, but it could just be that there aren't a whole lot of trees in my area to climb :yikes: I definitely wouldn't call it elitest, and if you pick a cool location you might actually get a lot of cachers into a new sport!

This may also be the answer to a bunch of our DNFs. We didn't look up HIGH enough, or climb any trees!

Be sure to check the terrain before unnecessarily going and climbing a tree. Around here, depending on the tree, if climbing more than a few feet up is needed, most people rate trees caches 4 on terrain. When we see that, if you're standing on flat ground and had a pretty easy walk, that's an indication it's up high.

But, we've gotten burned a few times and not found some because they're rated 1.5, but we learn later that it's 20 feet up a tree. :yikes:

Haven't climbed in years, then this guy named Woodlit in NJ put out "5" caches... been hooked ever since.

No longer a numbers cacher, try to seek out the tougher ones.

Climbing has changed a LOT over the years. Had to re-think with age creeping on and now rely on gear to do the work for me.

A group of us seek out tougher Caches. Here are a couple from the past year we have enjoyed together. We choose to do this. If you don't like them then don't go after them. Many are technical. You are warned about this in the Cache description. We have had a fantastic time together seeking them out. They are definitely not for every Cacher.

This is the final of a 5/5 that took us 5 days over a period of a month to finish.

My knee surgery went fine. The 72 year old woman did much better than I did ;)

459528851_KYD57-L.jpg

The Ultimate Assault Team found this one.

459528856_8h2DD-L.jpg

Got CJ a caving ladder similar to the one pictured in George1's photos a few years ago.

Very narrow, they're great if you're against a tree (or down a hole), but they aren't so hot for pure vertical climbs.

A rope climb is still easier and much more safe.

Cache safe.

hangingaround.jpg

CerberusClimbing.jpg

edited to add pictures

Edited by cerberus1

Ohhh, I like that ladder. :D

That is a cool ladder, but it looks like someone dropped the logbook to let the older lady sign it. If it was me, I would be up in the tree signing the log, not having it given to me.

I agree. I posted a note on a cache that required climbing a ladder I wasn't willing to climb. The other cachers I was with climbed and signed. All was good.