Geocacher placing too many caches?

reikenbe

Hello. My fiance and a few friends and I have noticed that one geocacher in our area has placed what seems to us like way too many geocaches. They have about 100 finds and 70 hides, so for every 4 finds they hide 3. They monopolize whole parks by placing 6 or 7 so there is no room for anyone else. I joke that they walk .10 mile in every direction and place a new one anywhere that is not private property, but it seems to be true! As a seeker it is boring because they use the same container every time. As a hider it is annoying because there are few public places around us left to hide a cache. Is there anything we can do?

Hide caches in places you like before he does.

That's about all you can do. There is such a thing as hiding "too many" caches, but this number will be different for every person, so there is no way to make an enforceable number, ratio or quota.

Actually, go caching with them. Find caches that you like. Tell them why you like them. I might not get into "Your hides stink." Just reinforce the stuff you like.

There's no such thing as placing too many caches as long as all the caches comply with the caching listing guidelines/requirements.

It's a big, big world out there. It seems very, very unlikely that it's possible for anyone to take up all the possible cache hiding locations.

But you are supposed to live close to the cache and not place any more than .10 mile from each other right? There are several small parks around us where they have so many that you can't place any more. It doesn't seem fair.

1. Hide caches of your own. If you know of a good spot, get there before anyone else.

2. Geocaching's been around for almost nine years now. If there's a great park near my home, and someone puts some nice caches there, I am happy to be a finder instead of a hider. I certainly had my chance.

3. Are the other geocacher's hides well-maintained? If so, great! If not, you can leave "needs maintenance" logs and (if those aren't answered) "needs archived" logs. A person hides "too many" caches only when they're incapable of properly maintaining the ones they already have. For some people, that number is in the hundreds. For me, it's about 50. For a few, the number is one.

4. Did you know that there's several geocachers with more than 1,000 hides? 70 isn't that many.

Dang. I live in northwest New Jersey, and cache across North Jersey, New York and parts of Pennsylvania, and I've never seen this problem "They monopolize whole parks". We have parks with forty or fifty caches, and there's still room for more. Smells like a red herring to me. And there'sstill a lot of land out there with no caches!

As to how many caches is too many, the answer is "Hide as many as you want, as long as you can maintain them." Yes. I see cachers who never, ever maintain a cache. 150 hides, and 120 archivals. I also see caches with several hundred caches. Mostly well maintained.

So, I do not understand either part of your argument.

As long as they are maintained, they can have as many as they want.

You're challenge is to find great locations and not just throw them anywhere.

I guess you are right. I can ignore their caches and challenge myself to make much better ones. Just because they have a ton of crappy ones all around me doesn't mean I have to let it ruin my geocaching experience.

As long as they meet the guidelines and are well maintained by the owner - no problem.

Agreed. If they keep them maintained, saves you money and time. Plus maybe you can rack up a few FTF.

One thing I do is place my hides on Geocache territory. If there is a saturation issue, I leave it, and post it in the cache grave yard sites. ( Yes there are other caching sites out there) Being that Groundspeak has a tremendous caching population, saturation is high. The other sites are practically wide open with a huge playing field.

One of my "other" hides was in a great scenic area. The GPS'r stated I was far enough from the cache I just found, there were no others. So I hid a cache right then and there, posted, and it came back as a C.S issue.

So I left it in place, just listed it else-where. It has been found 5 times in the last 5-6 months, but it is there.

So remember G-T-N-cache. Sure there are others, so never worry, there will be plenty of space for one of your hides, I have a whole state, not many other caches other than G caches where I am, excluding the 4 other caches I placed on other sites.. ave a GREAT PLAYING FIELD, AMAZING!

From time to time someone starts geocaching and decides they like hiding caches as much or even more than finding them. Instead of hiding a few caches in cool or interesting places or taking time to create clever camouflage hides, they places a lot of cookie cutter caches in mundane places. The locals start to complain that this person has placed too many caches and their caches are uninteresting. Some will complain because these hiders can quickly saturate an area so that if you do find a "special" spot for your cache, he already has one within .1 miles.

Most often what happens is this person begins to realize that maintaining caches takes up a fair amount of time. This is particularly true as the locals are going to keep an eye our for any problems. At that point they stop hiding more cache - or start to archive caches at the rate at which they hide them. Someone will be sure to post needs maintenance or SBA for anything that looks like it need it and the prolific hider will generally back off. Often they quit geocaching after awhile.

Some prolific hiders really do enjoy hiding cache and spend time building interesting and challenging camouflage and scouting for interesting places to put their caches. They take time to select locations and hiding techniques that require little maintenance and when logs get full or some other maintenance is required they quickly perform maintenance. In these cases, rarely to people come to the forums to complain about someone placing too many caches. Sometime a newbie will wonder how can anyone maintain so many caches. The fact is that certain locations and hiding styles require very little maintenance. Cache hiders that learn this are able to hide and maintain hundreds of caches.

Dang. I live in northwest New Jersey, and cache across North Jersey, New York and parts of Pennsylvania, and I've never seen this problem "They monopolize whole parks". We have parks with forty or fifty caches, and there's still room for more. Smells like a red herring to me. And there'sstill a lot of land out there with no caches!

As to how many caches is too many, the answer is "Hide as many as you want, as long as you can maintain them." Yes. I see cachers who never, ever maintain a cache. 150 hides, and 120 archivals. I also see caches with several hundred caches. Mostly well maintained.

How do you know how big our parks are? There are seriously at least 3 small parks near me that have one by this person every .10 miles. They are all the same exact container and most take 2 seconds to find. It's boring and a waste of good caching space.

How do you know how big our parks are? There are seriously at least 3 small parks near me that have one by this person every .10 miles. They are all the same exact container and most take 2 seconds to find. It's boring and a waste of good caching space.

Am I the only nosey one who quite quickly found the guy by looking at reikenbe's profile? Yup, 73 hides. Woohoo, probably 65 of them are micros! :D They do look kinda "crappy", but that's just your and my opinion. Many may share it, many may not. Still, I'm going to go with the masses here. That isn't "too many caches", and the hides seem to be spaced out pretty well, as far as placement date. If there's a good spot in the area, grab it while you can, and hide a better cache there.

Sorry to hear that you live in an area so bereft of parks that you cannot find another in which to hide a cache. Sad not to have any good caching space near you. You have my sympathy! (Confused as to where I said I knew how big your parks are...)

Ah! Got it! You wish to set yourself up as the final arbitor of which caches are good enough to stay, and which should be archived because you do not like them! Sorry, but someone else owns this listng service.

Am I the only nosey one who quite quickly found the guy by looking at reikenbe's profile? Yup, 73 hides. Woohoo, probably 65 of them are micros! :D They do look kinda "crappy", but that's just your and my opinion. Many may share it, many may not. Still, I'm going to go with the masses here. That isn't "too many caches", and the hides seem to be spaced out pretty well, as far as placement date. If there's a good spot in the area, grab it while you can, and hide a better cache there.

Well, I think I have figured out where they live based on the concentration of caches. I plan on avoiding the area for a while. It's not worth it to get annoyed by this person. I can think they are being greedy by taking a whole park and other people can share my opinion but it's not going to change anything. Maybe to them they are doing a great service by filling a park they saw was empty. Luckily there are many parks in Colorado. I will just look elsewhere.

Sorry to hear that you live in an area so bereft of parks that you cannot find another in which to hide a cache. Sad not to have any good caching space near you. You have my sympathy! (Confused as to where I said I knew how big your parks are...)

Ah! Got it! You wish to set yourself up as the final arbitor of which caches are good enough to stay, and which should be archived because you do not like them! Sorry, but someone else owns this listng service.

I don't know why you are trying to pick a fight but you can look for it elsewhere. Your comments are not helpful and you are on attack for some reason. I feel sorry for you. I'm done.

This gives you an opportunity to come up with something completely different than what that cacher is doing. If they are saturating the area with the same type of hide, come up with something completely out of the box to give everyone a thrill. If your community cachers see 70 LPC from the same guy but 1 super neat hide from you that makes it unique, whose cache do you think they'll remember next month, or next year? They'll forget about 68 of those LPC, but will remember your 1, unique cache for a long time.

I don't know why you are trying to pick a fight but you can look for it elsewhere. Your comments are not helpful and you are on attack for some reason. I feel sorry for you. I'm done.

I didn't see any attempt to pick a fight. What I saw was an attempt to try to get you to think about a bigger picture. There are a lot of caches and cachers out there and you shouldn't let any one cacher have such power over your caching experience. As has been suggested, if you find a great spot place a cache. If someone else found the great spot before you and placed a cache there then find it and log it.

I've cached in the Denver area a couple of times and there's miles of untouched (as far as caches go) up in the mountains, if you're phyiscally able. Tahosa has some that sound awesome in your area.

Have you contacted this fella? Voice your concerns. Nemesis confrontation is a fun a way spice up your life. -_-

Failing those two ideas there's the "lead by example" thing that posters in this forum throw out quite often. It has failed misearbly here in North Texas in my almost 7 years of caching. People generally totally ignore what has come before them and what they have found previously and will hide whatever they darn will please. :D

Hello. My fiance and a few friends and I have noticed that one geocacher in our area has placed what seems to us like way too many geocaches. They have about 100 finds and 70 hides, so for every 4 finds they hide 3. They monopolize whole parks by placing 6 or 7 so there is no room for anyone else. I joke that they walk .10 mile in every direction and place a new one anywhere that is not private property, but it seems to be true! As a seeker it is boring because they use the same container every time. As a hider it is annoying because there are few public places around us left to hide a cache. Is there anything we can do?

Stats for K:

Finds: 104

Hides: 73

Member since November 16, 2007

Stats for R:

Finds: 45

Hides: 0

Member since December 26, 2008

Caches placed by K since R started: 1

Sock puppet? Or Newbie?

Advice, get out and hide some before complaining about other people's hides. Also, if you don't like them, don't find them. How many of his have you found?

Loch

PS. Some cachers would kill for the concentration there in Denver.

Edited by Loch Cache

70 is to many!?! Guess you never heard of King Boreas.

Jim

Failing those two ideas there's the "lead by example" thing that posters in this forum throw out quite often. It has failed misearbly here in North Texas in my almost 7 years of caching. People generally totally ignore what has come before them and what they have found previously and will hide whatever they darn will please. <_<

At the risk of going off topic, I'd like to agree with this statement. "Lead by example" is a fallacy. :( If a newb wants to toss 15 roadside film canisters out the car window, they're going t do it. They really don't care, or notice that all the caches in the area from like 2003 were Tupperware or Ammo boxes "in the woods". Not speaking of myself, of course, my hides are nothing special. But they're generally non-micros in the woods.

I think the recently absent Sbell111 has said to hide a cache you'd enjoy finding. But in your case, you need to beat the other guy there first.

you guys should check out my (and Leps, since they live near me) area. We got one cacher that's got 117 caches placed and they are ALL unique on there own. I mean, you can't go anywhere without finding one of his caches, if you can find it at all. Then there are the Leprechaun caches, also very unique. Most i usually can't always find since the Leps caches are usually hard.

Cherry Creek and Chatfield State parks look like they could probably sustain a few more caches <_< I'm not familiar with your area, but in my experience here, larger parks tend to have more good hiding spots and fewer muggles. So even if they're a little farther from home, caches you hide there will tend to go missing less and need fewer maintenance visits.

Two of my favorite hiders in my area both have hundreds of hides apiece, so I'm not sure "too many" hides is the same number for everybody :( But if his don't appeal to you, just avoid them.

This gives you an opportunity to come up with something completely different than what that cacher is doing. If they are saturating the area with the same type of hide, come up with something completely out of the box to give everyone a thrill. If your community cachers see 70 LPC from the same guy but 1 super neat hide from you that makes it unique, whose cache do you think they'll remember next month, or next year? They'll forget about 68 of those LPC, but will remember your 1, unique cache for a long time.

What really stinks is i found a perfect place for a cache and a LPC hide knocks that area out. another good spot for a regular was knocked out by a mini altoids micro on a transformer cache. its not that easy finding good spots in urban areas. none of mine are LPC's[yet]

Dang. I live in northwest New Jersey, and cache across North Jersey, New York and parts of Pennsylvania, and I've never seen this problem "They monopolize whole parks".

Oh yeah?

Well, that looks like a monopoly to me. How many of 70 placements are within 4 square miles? (I'm just making ths up as I go) That being said, as long as they keep the pens un-exploded and the logs fresh and replace cracked containers, let em go at it.

Dang. I live in northwest New Jersey, and cache across North Jersey, New York and parts of Pennsylvania, and I've never seen this problem "They monopolize whole parks".

Oh yeah?

A monopoly in that they are all your caches but Norvin Green State Forest's 4,365 acres divided by 19 caches is one cache per 229 acres with maybe one of them within a half mile of the parking spot. Not sure it can compare to the microspew that seems to be all over the OP's stomping grounds. I'm sure you can fit another 19 in there and still not encroach on the ones already there. <_<:(

Oh yeah?

A monopoly in that they are all your caches but Norvin Green State Forest's 4,365 acres divided by 19 caches is one cache per 229 acres with maybe one of them within a half mile of the parking spot. Not sure it can compare to the microspew that seems to be all over the OP's stomping grounds. I'm sure you can fit another 19 in there and still not encroach on the ones already there. <_<:(

Yeah, I don't think any of Snats cache descriptions read like this in their entirety:

" Next to the High Line Canal trail.

Nano-non magnetic. Log only. "

It looks like this guy couldn't give a hoot about manintenance on all these caches either.

70 is to many!?! Guess you never heard of King Boreas.

Jim

Speaking of which...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...5b-a6473f4d3e89

It seems very, very unlikely that it's possible for anyone to take up all the possible cache hiding locations.

In S.C. we are quite limited to where we can hide. We have a few series that take up alot of geo-real estate. Some are not very well maintained and the hiders don't answer emails or even log into GC.com for longs spans of time.

I had been ignoring this thread till now, as the entire issue and question raised in the original post seemed rather inane and nonsensical. However, I found myself reading a bit of the thread today, and what strikes me most is that the account which started this thread is almost surely a troll sock puppet account, and the thread nothing more than a troll thread, perhaps with an agenda against another cacher/hider.

I had been ignoring this thread till now, as the entire issue and question raised in the original post seemed rather inane and nonsensical. However, I found myself reading a bit of the thread today, and what strikes me most is that the account which started this thread is almost surely a troll sock puppet account, and the thread nothing more than a troll thread, perhaps with an agenda against another cacher/hider.

Vin, are the aliens manipulating your thoughts again? <_< It's a newb who got a GPS for XMAS, and has found 45 caches over the past 25 days. I can't possibly be wrong, can I?

Monopoliznig an area is bad form, but not against the rules.

That leaves you to place the next 30 they are obviously going to place before they do and monopolize the remaining areas. You can even do a better job than walking 0.1 miles in any direction.

Edited by Renegade Knight

...What really stinks is i found a perfect place for a cache and a LPC hide knocks that area out. another good spot for a regular was knocked out by a mini altoids micro on a transformer cache. its not that easy finding good spots in urban areas. none of mine are LPC's[yet]

Your spots are only blocked on this site. Other listing sites exist. If a cache should exist, don't let a LPC get in the way. You can also wait until the LPC spots open up (they will in time) and then place your cache, or cross list it if it already exists elsewhere on this site.

Vin, are the aliens manipulating your thoughts again? <_< It's a newb who got a GPS for XMAS, and has found 45 caches over the past 25 days. I can't possibly be wrong, can I?

:(:huh: You know, I carefully considered that option, I really did, but in this case, my gut sense and intuition seem to consistently point toward troll/sock puppet!

:D:P:D:laughing:

check this map out. http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...p;lon=-80.22585 That park has got 35 caches in it and it looks like theres room for more

another park near me: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;lon=-80.377833

Cranberry Township: http://www.geocaching.com/map/default.aspx...;lon=-80.377833 that cluster you see at the top is a park

ok, so that didn't work out the way i planned it. but if you pan out, just look to where i am refering to

There's no such thing as placing too many caches as long as all the caches comply with the caching listing guidelines/requirements.

It's a big, big world out there. It seems very, very unlikely that it's possible for anyone to take up all the possible cache hiding locations.

But you are supposed to live close to the cache and not place any more than .10 mile from each other right? There are several small parks around us where they have so many that you can't place any more. It doesn't seem fair.

You are supposed to live/work close enough to MAINTAIN your caches.

There are many cachers that live 50-100 miles from their caches, as they are able to performantenace when necessary. One should put out as many caches as able to check up on. Maybe this cacher has a lot of time on their hands.

So what is the underlying issue here?

That they went and placed a cache in a few spots where you wanted to place some?

That's spilt milk.

Be grateful that someone out there is putting caches out, if you want to put some out, don't procrastinate.

Hmmm, I replied too early, someone that has been caching for 3 weeks knows the sport better than we do?

Who's picking fights now?

So what is the underlying issue here?

That they went and placed a cache in a few spots where you wanted to place some?

I don't think the issue is so much that they have saturated the area. I think the issue is that the caches mainly suck. They aren't inventive, same containers, almost all micros etc etc. I don't have many finds myself because of time restrictions, but I already dislike uninventive caches. But, instead of complaining about a few uninventive caches in my area, I have done my best to place a few caches that I feel are worth someones precious time.

I don't blame the thread starter for being frustrated.

That said, the initial poster unfortunately just needs to get over it. Rules are rules. Guidelines are guidelines. If the caches are in accordance with the guidelines, then there is nothing to be done but suck it up.

There is no rule to how close you have to live and the distance should be valid if the reviewer gave it the thumbs up for publication.

But, instead of complaining about a few uninventive caches in my area, I have done my best to place a few caches that I feel are worth someones precious time.

Sounds like you found an awesome solution. Hopefully, others will be inspired by your hides, and your home turf won't become a bastion of lameness. ;)

There is no rule to how close you have to live

Actually, there is something fairly similar. From the guidelines:

A geocacher whose previous finds and hides are all within 25 miles of their home would likely not see their cache published if placed 250 miles away from their home.

I say Just go find all of them and move on, if they are so boring just get them done on or put on ignore list. Then find another park or neat spot to hide a nicer cache. Most are Micros nad some areas Hate micros no matter where they are. Here in Fresno Most of our finds are Micros, No big deal They are still fun to go and look for. we just like to get out with or without the Kids. Some times we get just US time and thts cool too.

It's a game not life or death......well for some people anyhow.