Garmin Oregon 300

Lassendograiser

I am brand new to the geocaching and very interested in getting started. I do not currently have a GPS unit and would like to purchase one. I, like most, am not made of money and would like to save some money but do not want to buy something that I am going to outgrow soon. I do a lot of traveling and would like this unit to work wherever I go. I am looking at the Garmin Oregon 300. Can anyone tell me if I am getting in way above my head or if this unit will suffice for my needs now as well as in the future? I also do a lot of kayaking, backpacking, but most of all I travel the roads that I have never been on before.

I am open to any guidance and suggestions that you more experienced folks may have.

Thank you in advance.

Lassen

I am brand new to the geocaching and very interested in getting started. I do not currently have a GPS unit and would like to purchase one. I, like most, am not made of money and would like to save some money but do not want to buy something that I am going to outgrow soon. I do a lot of traveling and would like this unit to work wherever I go. I am looking at the Garmin Oregon 300. Can anyone tell me if I am getting in way above my head or if this unit will suffice for my needs now as well as in the future? I also do a lot of kayaking, backpacking, but most of all I travel the roads that I have never been on before.

I am open to any guidance and suggestions that you more experienced folks may have.

Thank you in advance.

Lassen

Welcome to geocaching.

Based on the people I know who own the Oregon and having used one for a weekend, I'd opt for the Colorado. Just my .02.

Thank you in advance.

Lassen

Welcome to geocaching.

Based on the people I know who own the Oregon and having used one for a weekend, I'd opt for the Colorado. Just my .02.

Thanks for your .02 worth. I appreciate anything I can get. Can you tell me why the Colorado and what the difference is? I am new enough to this that I honestly have not heard of the Colorado and you can bet that I will be checking it out but again could use some advise based on personal experience.

Lassen

Thank you in advance.

Lassen

Absolutely ADORE my Oregon 300. For geocaching, and especially paperless geocaching, it is the BEST. You will love it, especially if you are a big fan of touchscreen devices, as I am. Read up on it in the GPS Technology forum and get the pros (superb paperless geocaching) and cons (dim screen) first. I was worried about the dim screen, but with rechargeable batteries and a few setting changes, it's quite readable. Plus, I just got City Navigator for it, and I'm enjoying having a car navigation/geocaching gps system all in one. I feel the money was well spent (I spent $350 on it, not counting City Nav).

Some people report problems with the Colorado. I'd read up on both units, and also the 60CSx, and from there make an informed decision based on the activity you will mostly be using this unit for (they each have strengths and weaknesses).

Just my two cents,

BlueDamsel

The Oregon is a great unit for a new Geocacher that will use it primarily for Geocaching.

I love my Oregon!! It is my newest of 9 GPS units I have owned. Nice mature touchscreen interface. I have a Colorado as well and while I actually perfer it in some situations - i think the Oregon is just easier to learn to use yet has many high end features.

Only downside to the Oregon is that it nearly requires the use of the backlight to see the screen well and that cuts back on the battery life a bit.

I'm brand new to geocaching too having only just picked up my first GPS last weekend which was an Oregon 300. After agonising over which GPS unit to purchase, I decided to go with the Oregon after reading a lot of forums and receiving some valuable advice from folks on Groundspeak. So far I'm absoulutely thrilled with the Oregon. I've found it very easy to use (I'm used to using electronic gadgets but have never used a GPS before) and its a good size. Yes the screen is a bit dim in bright sunlight and does require the backlight on, but it is still readable, and I think the ease with which you can download cache info and previous logs etc more than compensates for this. Highly recommended from this newbie.