Wierd problem creating tracks from Oregon to view on Google Earth with Mac

iamasmith

So, I use a Mac at home and Garmin are one of the vendors that actually (across various industries) are sympathetic to folks wanting to use Macs ^^.

However, Roadtrip isn't quite as functional as MapSource and it doesn't let you 'Send to Google Earth' and running all that stuff under Fusion just sucks in terms of performance.

I opted for using gpsbabel to convert GPX files or import directly from my 60CSx and that works perfectly.

I got an Oregon 300 and started converting the GPX files with that to KML and Google Earth won't display any of the Waypoints, Track Points or Paths! The weird thing is that if you select 'Get Information' on any of the elements they pop up on the map whilst the property page is open but disappear afterwards.

I thought I must have exhausted some limit on MyPlaces.kml but no. I just did a head to head track comparison of the 60CSx and the Oregon, read all of that into RoadTrip, output it as GPX, converted that file into KML using gpsbabel and what do you know... all of the tracks and track points created on the 60CSx display in Google Earth but none of the Oregon ones do.

Also if there are Oregon created waypoints alongside the 60CSx files NEITHER get displayed.

This is really strange indeed.

I have opened the KML file to see if there are some differences in the XML tags but no, nothing seems to be different. The only thing that I have noted is that there are some negative numbers in some of the altitude information generated by the Oregon and the Oregon creates more summary HTML for the track description page.

Anyone seen this particular problem?

Regards,

-Andy

GE opens GPX files directly. There is no need to waste time converting them.

Make sure the "time bar" on the top right of the GE window is slid to cover all of the dates on the tracks. By default, it does not do that....

WOW, yeah you can even drag/drop the GPX file onto GE.. thanks for the pointer.

That isn't the issue though.

I also move the time slider to the end. Incidentally the 60CSx readings were taken on the same exercise so the time shouldn't effect it.

Basically I get exactly the same result... but now I don't have to use gpsbabel to do it. Thanks for that bit anyway.

Regards,

-Andy

You also don't need to use Roadtrip.

Just use the file "Current.GPX" from the Oregon directly.

Have you expanded the list of tracks with GE on the sidebar? Make sure everything is checked to be visible?

Yep, I know I should be able to just copy it from the Oregon but that results in the same thing.

The interesting thing about this GPX file is that it carries 60CSx data that was generated at the same time that does display... it's just the Oregon data that wont.

Have just tried another original Oregon saved track and it does the same.

Regards,

-Andy

And curiouser and curiouser.

Dragged the GPX file onto a copy of the Windows version of GE running under Fusion and it does something slightly different.

This time both track will appear but not the Waypoints.

The 60CSx waypoints ALL appear, the Oregon ones don't

If I deselect all of the 60CSx points, the last Oregon point appear. If I deselect that the second to last Oregon point appears.

OK, it's GOT to be a GE bug but I can't see what is wrong with the data.

I wonder if the altitude thing is fouling it up. I may script something to zero the altitude in those nodes and try it again.

Regards,

-Andy

I have a Oregon 300 and I use OS X 10.5.6.

I have no problems exporting tracks from my Oregon to Google Earth for the Mac.

This is what I do:

I use Load My Tracks to convert the Oregon GPX data to the KML format.

I then have Load My Tracks automatically open Google Earth and there is the track. I then modify the color, width and name of the track and usually store the track within Google Earth.

I hope that answers your question.

Edited by Barrikady

This is what I do:

I then have Load My Tracks automatically open Google Earth and there is the track. I then modify the color, width and name of the track and usually store the track within Google Earth.

You are talking about tracks. What iamasmith is trying to tell is that he can transfer the tracks BUT NOT THE WAYPOINTS from Oregon to GE.

That is exactly the case for me.

I tried to transfer the gpx information (routes, waypoints, and tracks) created on my Oregon from the navigator to my laptop by means of Mapsource, Google Earth, Gpx2GE, ExpertGPS under Windows, and Google Earth, Garmin RoadTrip under MacOSX. All come with the same result: Tracks can be transferred either way, however routes and waypoints can only be transferred from the laptop to Oregon, not the other direction.

It is really weird. What use is the gpx information if the waypoints cannot be seen in mapsource or google earth? :D

This is what I do:

You are talking about tracks. What iamasmith is trying to tell is that he can transfer the tracks BUT NOT THE WAYPOINTS from Oregon to GE.

That is exactly the case for me.

I tried to transfer the gpx information (routes, waypoints, and tracks) created on my Oregon from the navigator to my laptop by means of Mapsource, Google Earth, Gpx2GE, EasyGPS, and ExpertGPS under Windows, and Google Earth and Garmin RoadTrip under MacOSX. All came with the same result: Tracks can be transferred either way, however routes and waypoints can only be transferred from the laptop to Oregon, not the other direction.

This is really weird. What use is the gpx information if the waypoints cannot be seen in mapsource or google earth? :D

Edited by tanimsiz
...Tools->GPS should DTRT with Oregon on a Mac with an Earth 5.0 that isn't beta.
But - EVERYTHING Google releases is beta :D

Until there's a GE5 release version, is there a work around? Perhaps running GPSBabel separately with specific options, instead of the embedded copy in GE with what ever defaults aren't working right?