Private Caches?

Followers 1

I have been asked to teach geocaching to several groups of kids while they are at summer camp. The camp is located on a large ranch and the owners would like to set up a whole series of caches on the property for this year and future years. BUT they don't want to invite the world onto thier property. Is there a way to set up private caches on geocahing.com or must I just set them up as waypoints with my own cache data sheets and hints etc?

Using geocaching.com would give them training on how to use the website and would expose them to the big world of public caches.

Any advice?

I have been asked to teach geocaching to several groups of kids while they are at summer camp. The camp is located on a large ranch and the owners would like to set up a whole series of caches on the property for this year and future years. BUT they don't want to invite the world onto thier property. Is there a way to set up private caches on geocahing.com or must I just set them up as waypoints with my own cache data sheets and hints etc?

Using geocaching.com would give them training on how to use the website and would expose them to the big world of public caches.

Any advice?

Unfortunately any caches listed on geocaching.com should be open to the public to the best of my knowledge. The only possible restriction is Members Only caches but under that classification the paying membership at geocaching.com would have access to the cache coordinates as well. Believe you would have to setup your own waypoint lists or setup the series on public property for all to enjoy.

Is there a way to set up private caches on geocahing.com

I am not being snarky when I say this, but we are not the owners of , controlers of, administrators of Geocaching.com. You need to ask them, not us. You can contact them through their website. They set the terms under which caches can be listed on their site and properly so.

FYI, The BSA have many camps where they have their own "geocaches" that can be found by their members in connection with learning about electronic navigation. Those are theirs alone , they do not allow others to place geocaches on their private lands.

Any cache posted on geocaching.com should be available to the general public.

IMO the best way would be to make a series of private caches on the property and generate your own 'cache pages' to be given out as needed to the campers.

To show them how to navigate geocaching.com and find other caches, you could place (with the owner's permission) a public cache near the entrance where the general public wouldn't cause a problem. Then the campers could see how to search for caches (online) then actually find it and log it.

Since 'you' would be the owner, maintenance, swag, etc would be a relatively easy thing.

Is there a way to set up private caches on geocahing.com

I am not being snarky when I say this, but we are not the owners of , controlers of, administrators of Geocaching.com. You need to ask them, not us. You can contact them through their website. They set the terms under which caches can be listed on their site and properly so.

FYI, The BSA have many camps where they have their own "geocaches" that can be found by their members in connection with learning about electronic navigation. Those are theirs alone , they do not allow others to place geocaches on their private lands.

I assume the BSA caches are just normal GPS waypoints and that the leaders publish thier own description and hint sheets for the scouts to use. In other words, they haven't figured out a way to do paperless geocaching with their private caches.

Thanks for the help

True, but these aren't listed on geocaching.com, which was part of what he wanted to do.

In my area, we've done temporary caches at camporees, then pick them up afterwards. This allows the kids to try it out, but they aren't permanent. (may be too close together for gc rule, or we don't have permission or the like.)

Followers 1