Where's your nearest unfound cache?

marikun

Or, for the more educated types, your "cache radius".

I was wondering about this last night due to a prolific local cacher with over 9000 finds to his name. I'm thinking that every time he wants to go find some caches, he has to either wait for new ones to pop up or hit the road for a while.

Now, my cache radius is 1.8 miles, due to a pesky local micro that I've attempted twice and can't quite find. After that, my next nearest cache is 3 miles away from my home coordinates.

So, where is your nearest unfound cache? I suspect it will be farther away in rural areas, and for cachers with higher found counts, so let's see.

The nearest unfound cache is less than a mile from my house. In fact if I walked out my backdoor I could walk to it in less than 7 minutes. There are several within a mile.

I tend to save the local caches and instead travel 20-50 miles for caching daytrips. I have an irrational fear of finding all of the caches closest to my house, and then not having anything to do when I want to cache in town.

Or, for the more educated types, your "cache radius".

I was wondering about this last night due to a prolific local cacher with over 9000 finds to his name. I'm thinking that every time he wants to go find some caches, he has to either wait for new ones to pop up or hit the road for a while.

Now, my cache radius is 1.8 miles, due to a pesky local micro that I've attempted twice and can't quite find. After that, my next nearest cache is 3 miles away from my home coordinates.

So, where is your nearest unfound cache? I suspect it will be farther away in rural areas, and for cachers with higher found counts, so let's see.

This has come up possibly more times than any other question. Myself and many people won't mind answering though I'm sure. -_- One thing you probably didn't think about, there are people like me who ignore caches. I have about 400 on my ignore list within my 50 mile notification range. That being said, that I'm not ignoring, 2.0 miles. It's a long multi, and I've been much too lazy. :D

There are two within a half mile from my house that I haven't found. One is apparently in an empty lot between two houses. I went there once but there were too many homeowners out and about so I felt weird and drove off. The other is in a wooded area where everyone who has logged it thus far has complained about a great deal of mud and mosquitoes, neither of which interest me, so I've ignored that one as well.

I had a topic just like this one. Wonder where it went to..................

Having found 206 caches in my 2 and a half year caching career, i've gone as far as 20 miles to find a cache. If you check my profile (then my travel bug page and check on Keruso's Cachemobile) you will see where i've cached so far, though i wasn't always able to drive my travel bug to every cache.

there's a cache by me that's 1.2 miles from me. I've found the first stage, but it's a long drive to the second and it takes me to an over/underpass, so im passing that one up

the next one is 2.3 miles from me. Unfortunately it's my friends and i know exactly where it is. he won't let me log it. That concludes the first page for me (also some of which are my caches)

The next one that comes up is 3.5 miles from me. We seem to have a new "Team" come up in the past year that seems to like placing caches at car washes........ this one is an exception

then i have 3 at 3.8 miles from me. One's a mystery cache. i don't go for those unless i can figure out what the daggum puzzle is. the other two are multi's that i haven't gone for yet.

If you haven't noticed, i live in a cache rich area. New caches are popping up just about everyday

Edited by Keruso

closest found is 2.6 miles SE

closest unfound is 2.7 miles N

of the 20 closest;

the farthest away is 5.3 miles and unfound

i have found 10 of the 20 closest

the next 2 planned cache runs should take care of virtually all of the unfound ones

i just noticed, i have placed only 1 cache but there are 20 caches closer to my home than it is

I found that cache on an awful day... the full situation didn't quite make it to the logs, but some unfortunate biochemical circumstances dropped a migraine on me that forced me to nap it off in a parking lot behind a Dunkin' Donuts on Rt. 17 rather than risk driving all the way back home.

<end threadjack>

My nearest unfound as of today is 3.2mi. away, because every time I clear my largest map screen someone goes and hides more within a few days. Accordingly, I have a few scattered around the 3-7mi. range that I usually save until enough accumulate to make it worth the gas (any closer and I shoot for the FTF); beyond 7mi. is where the unfounds begin to pile up.

With living in a rural area and having over 3000 finds my closest unfound is about 30km away(18ish miles?). I travel about 80km to work each day and have cleaned out almost everything in between and then some :D

Nowadays I have to travel over 50km(about an hour travel time) in any direction just to find enough caches to fill a few hours. Thank god the price of gas has come down!

About .5 miles away, but it just got published last night. I would have raced out for the FTF, but #1 I don't really care about those, and #2 I was in the middle of cooking dinner and it would have really PO'd my wife for the rest of the night.

I thought about grabbing it on the way to work, but was running late for a standing 8 AM meeting, so I'll probably miss my turn and nab it on the way home.

A man's got to have his priorities..... :D

Did that one a few years back. Cannot remember anything about it, so it was not a very memorable cache.

Nearest unfound cache is 2.1 miles away. 2.5/4.5 on top of an abandoned water tower. No thanks.

Next is a 5/5 by the same hider at 3.0 miles. First stage is on an abandoned train trestle. But he's just getting even with me for my evil mystery caches...

At 4 miles is one I just haven't gotten around to. Followed by three with 2.5 and 3 terrain. I'll wait for spring. His 3 terrains involve steep trails and rocks.

Then we have a 5/5 that is 45 feet up a tree. (Same hider as the first 2.) Nope. No thanks. Dolphins do not fly.

Then we have a 2/5 kayaking cache. Don't have a kayak. Oh, well. 4 or 5 more kayaking caches within 10 miles, but someone has promised to loan me a kayak. Maybe next summer.

About a hundred within ten miles that I have not found. (That doesn't include the ones on my ignore list.)Come better weather, I should be able to make a good dent in them. But, obviously, there are many that I will never attempt.

My closest to home not found is an Earthcache 4.8miles away. I am really not interested in doing that one. The closest regular caches not found are two that are 5.1 miles away, both in opposite directions. One is not easy to get to, easier by boat which I do not have, so that one may stay on the list for a long time. The other one is a recent addition. Around here a lot of cachers try to keep a 10 mile radius clear. I've only been doing this since May of 2008, so I haven't had time to do that yet. Most of mine in the 10 mile radius are the long hike ones. I hope that maybe in the spring I can get those. I've got 14 within ten miles still left to find.

3.81 and 4.86

Both were DNF's. One is only accessible by boat or by getting dropped off on a parkway and being picked up. That one I kayaked to but couldn't find and want to go back before the foliage grows again.

The other is in a direction I rarely go but rode my bike to twice and there were too many muggles. I will go for it eventually. It doesn't really mean that much to me to clear an area.

Closest unfound cache reads "Same Location as Home Coordinates" Which is not completely right, it's about a block NE.

I'm bashing my head against the wall on that one.

Oh you so have my sympathy!!!!

I was just coming in to this thread to post that our nearest unfound is about 50 metres from our backdoor. It is the false co-ords of a puzzle that a caching pal put there to taunt us!!! :D:P:D We can not solve the puzzle, :(<_< but either could he solve the puzzle that it's revenge for :huh:.

Other than that we have 7 caches in 10 kilometres (about 6 miles) - three are probably missing, one is an even harder puzzle, and the other three are longish walks up hillls that we just have not had a chance to get to yet.

Our nearest run of the mill traditional is about 40 kilometres (25 miles) away. There are 13 other caches with some degree of difficulty or time involved in between. Time is our main prohibitive factor for getting most of them.

Annie

Nearest unfound is 1.2 miles. Nothing special about it other than I rarely do a search from my home coordinates and didn't realize it was there until this topic came up. Next is 1.6 miles away in the same park. 4 star terrain (a bit high of a rating knowing the area) and I simply didn't know it was there.

Next two are 2.1 2.3 and 2.6 miles away in a nature preserve with some great hiking trails. I plan on bagging them some time soon.

Next one is at 2.6 miles in a store parking lot - no thanks. Then there is are two more the above nature preserve at 2.7 and 2.8 miles away that I DNFed over the weekend.

Nearest unfound cache is 14.1 miles away. There are two others in the same general area and I have just been waiting for the right opportunity to get them. There is another one at 14.4 miles away that is about a mile hike with a fairly significant elevation change and has only been found a handful of times.

Unless a new cache is posted nearby I essentially can't do any caching during the week any more and even on the weekends I need to devote at least a couple of hours if I'm going to find more than a couple of caches. I'm looking forward to a business trip in Rhode Island when I'll be able to do some caching along the way and spend an afternoon in Newport looking for some caches.

The closest unfound one to me is about 4 miles away. It's a micro on the outside of a building for a coffee shop in the middle of town. While it has many finds, it is not my idea of a fun cache, so I will continue to ignore it. The next closest is a earth cache which I have been wanting to do and will eventually try but not until the weather gets warm, the snow melts, etc. There are also several in the 8 to 10 mile range awaiting my visit.

The nearest unfound cache is less than a mile from my house. In fact if I walked out my backdoor I could walk to it in less than 7 minutes. There are several within a mile.

I tend to save the local caches and instead travel 20-50 miles for caching daytrips. I have an irrational fear of finding all of the caches closest to my house, and then not having anything to do when I want to cache in town.

I do this exact same thing!

Mostly, it's because I work full time without many caches near where I work... so when I get home, sometimes there's only time to find one or two caches before dark/supper, so they have to be close. I guess there's time to cache after supper, but after I'm done eating, I usually feel like kicking back at home with a beer, instead of caching!

Mine is within a couple miles of the house. I'm burnt out on LPCs so this particular one will sit until the husband decides to go do it on his own.

The cool thing is we have a preserve that's FULL of different kinds of hides that's just a smidge farther. I've been saving it for its own day. If I go in the morning when the birds are active and get some good photos, I can also waymark the preserve in Birdwatching Locations and in the Great Florida Birding Trail.

I am in a land of plenty when it comes to new caches. So, my closest is currently 4.0 miles away. Of older caches the closest unfound is 8.6 miles (I have a DNF on it and it is the 188th closest of all caches from my home coords) and then 9.6 miles. Currently there are 5 terrain 5 caches on my first page (need a boat) of closest unfound. Also, I would say on average there are 2 to 4 new caches that appear on my first page of unfound caches each week.

8.3 miles but it only came out a couple of weeks ago. It is in a direction I rarely travel which includes a toll bridge. Actually, it came out the day after I had just been in that area! That seems to happen more often than I would like.

I am trying not to be a radius slave but it's hard at times. Much of the close stuff we grab on our way to and from caching trips.

1.2 miles away is a magnetic nano somewhere on a store sign at the back of a parking lot on the busiest road. I've searched for it many times. Felt in every nook and cranny. I must be blind. There is the beginning of a 2 stage multi 0.6 miles away but the second stage is probably 2 miles away and a good hike in the woods. I'm saving it for later.

I live in the city. The nearest unfound cache is half a mile away and I've been there 3 times looking. It is on a very busy street so there is always traffic going by. It is a micro with a difficulty of 2 and the GPS is very bouncy in the area. I WANT TO FIND THE DARN THING!

Edited by BBI Dragon