Accidents while looking at your GPS

I have on more than one occasion ran into things while trying to walk and put in coordinates at the same time. I have stepped into holes and lost my footing. I have since learned that no matter how bad I want to get to the next cache I have to stop punch them in and then go. I have also gave my wife a heart attack while trying to look at the Gps and drive. I can see trying to explain to the officer why I caused an accident. He might reply as follows " You are geo What?" Caching officer it's a game ....Nevermind just give me my ticket. D.W.G(driving while geocaching.LOL

Injured while looking at my palm for the hint.

There is the approach for a former bridge in the area that was turned into a fishing pier. The asphalt that was placed to provide a path to it is settling A hole is located where the two meet and a fennel bush is growing out of it. I was looking at the palm to see the hint and stepped in the hole, spraining my ankle (which hurt when I hiked for three more months until I sprained the other one at Geowoodstock VI)-I stupidly found three more caches that day on my gimpy leg). When I picked myself up, I noticed that it I would have stepped about a foot to the right, the hole was so deep that I probably would have went in up to my hip and probably broke my leg in several places. I put a big warning in my log for that one.

Not quite the GPS, but:

At work we have to smoke in designated areas. a couple of weeks ago I was smoking and reading cache information within Cachemate on my PDA. I was so intent reading the info and the logs while I was walking back to the office that I didn't notice the parked car.

MY parked car. Walked straight into the side and put a dent in both the door and my knee!

Just last weekend. We were looking for a cache in a swampy area, and there were a lot of cypress knees growing. Most were large enough to notice and avoid, but while staring at the GPS and following the arrow I tripped over a smaller one. I stumbled around trying to avoid landing butt-first in the mud, and I somehow kicked myself in the shin. It hurt to walk for the rest of the day (that was find 2 of 6 for the day). Now it only hurts if something puts pressure on it.

Nearly every caching trip has at least one moment where I wonder when I will learn to pay a little more attention to where I'm stepping.

Where I live the weather changed very quickly- It can be very very warm one winter's day, melting alot of the snow and forming many puddles, and then the next day can drop well below zero ( to -15C or more) When this happens, thoose puddles turn into slick ice.

Ice + Focusing on GPS = Bad

I've manged to only slip twice, and hope to keep it that way untill spring.

- ClanBlakley #3

Where I live the weather changed very quickly- It can be very very warm one winter's day, melting alot of the snow and forming many puddles, and then the next day can drop well below zero ( to -15C or more) When this happens, thoose puddles turn into slick ice.

Ice + Focusing on GPS = Bad

I've manged to only slip twice, and hope to keep it that way untill spring.

- ClanBlakley #3

Feh. I can be sweating, wearing shorts and sunbathing one day (70 F), then throwing snowballs the next (25 F). But then again, most of our state is not equipped for snow and ice, so we get to play hooky and watch northerners try to drive on icy roads.

Accidents can happen even when one IS watching where they're going. Case-in-point: I was heading over to one cache location from another about .2 miles away, and as I was checking the directional arrow to make sure I was going the right way.... OOPS, I stepped on a metal sewer grating cover and my foot went right through! Luckily, I have good balance, and caught myself before I truly injured myself, but seriously, that was kind of scary!

One thing I learned to watch as I'm walking around is where my HEAD is.

At a cache last week, I had been wandering around on a concrete slab for about 15 minutes looking for a micro. It was an old industrial slab that had two large 3" metal pipes sticking up that turned to 45degrees at about 5' off the ground. I'd looked inside them and held onto them for balance, but it wasn't until I thought I saw something on the ground below them that I decided that the pole and my head could occupy the same space. The pipe won.

But I didn't give up - I found the cache before checking for blood...

Probably not what the OP was thinking of, but I finally got a GPS to avoid accidents. I was seeing the front end of too many cars when looking up from my map while driving. Got a cheap Garmin for the dash to get me to a parking spot safely.... then I go back to maps and compass. Haven't run into any deer in the woods yet.

I try to remember to stop before focusing on my GPSr, and I usually remember so I haven't had any accidents except getting hit in the face with some small branches. Last time I went out earlier this week I got poked in the eye by a branch because I was looking at the ground instead of the brush I was walking through (my GPSr was in my pocket at the time.)

I did hurt myself while hiking in the Adirondacks though. I was on a nature trail and I somehow was not looking where I was stepping, the path took a sudden dip and I fell onto a large tree root. I badly skinned my knee and I later found out I also badly sprained my ankle. My knee hurt more when I got back to the car so I didn't think much about the ankle until it swelled up the next day. That was about 6 years ago now and I still have a scar (large red splotch) from the skinned knee.