HOW TO

nefesh

:angry: i've read the manual (worthless), the FAQ from the forum and i cannot find the actual steps to perform some of the functions of the Colorado. Especially "tracks." i'm in dog search and rescue and i want to record my training runs.......can't figure it out! not on road but usually in parks and preserves; the wilderness.

also, any place to find what many of the options actually do or mean and what would be the reasoning for choosing one over the other?

I find most of the options on my Colorado pretty self explanatory. To enable tracks, goto Setup, select Tracks and make sure "Track Log" is set to ON and "Record Method" is set to AUTO. "Interval" can be left at NORMAL and "Show On Map" is based on your preference (and like I said, is self explanatory).

You can read up on anything and everything about your Colorado here:

http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/

Edited by Teddy2k

Just to add to what Teddy2k said: once the tracks are recorded connect the CO to your computer, it should show up as a drive letter on your computer. The tracks will be saved in [Colorado drive]:\Garmin\GPX\Current\Current.gpx . Copy the current.gpx file onto your computer and open it in a program that understands gpx files such as Google Earth to display/analyze your track.

I've found the Colorado do be a bit cumbersome when it comes to switching tracking on and off. (Several steps through the menus to do it). I ended up creating a "Tracking" profile with tracking switched on, and my normal profile has it switched off. That made swapping between the two much easier.

To get to tracking normally, you have to do:

Preset the Shortcuts button

Pick the "Setup" item

Scroll down to "Tracks"

Pick "Track Log"

Switch it on

Rather cumbersome I think.

Edited by Crid

:D i've read the manual (worthless), the FAQ from the forum and i cannot find the actual steps to perform some of the functions of the Colorado. Especially "tracks." i'm in dog search and rescue and i want to record my training runs.......can't figure it out! not on road but usually in parks and preserves; the wilderness.

also, any place to find what many of the options actually do or mean and what would be the reasoning for choosing one over the other?

i have the settings right. but doesn't the track log start as soon as you turn on the unit. There must be a way instead of turning the unit on and off. i need some way to identify the beginning of a trail and marks it's ending. then give the unit to another person and have the unit display (with and arrow on the trail) the trail so the person knows if they and their dog are on the correct path. maybe this is not possible? i know the 60csx does it; i've done it.

i have the settings right. but doesn't the track log start as soon as you turn on the unit. There must be a way instead of turning the unit on and off. i need some way to identify the beginning of a trail and marks it's ending. then give the unit to another person and have the unit display (with and arrow on the trail) the trail so the person knows if they and their dog are on the correct path. maybe this is not possible? i know the 60csx does it; i've done it.

Not really. The Tracback function is mostly broken and the track saving function as well on the Colorados (works on Oregons). It has been a bug since day one and everyone has been impatiently waiting for Garmin to fix it.