Ever broke someones cache and had to replace it?

I was looking for a nano on a pedestrian crosswalk over a major intersection and I spotted it inside the end of the railing. I could only get two fingers in the end to get it and below was a 30-40' drop to the water. I was so worried I'd drop it. Luckily i didn't but I was wondering has that ever happened and You actually did drop it or broke the cache and had to replace it?

Yes, I did. A tupperware-clone container frozen to the turf. I actually pushed my finger right through the side of the container while trying to free it. Drove to the nearest Wal-Mart and purchased a new container to replace it. Same size, better quality, not a throwdown film cannister.

We found a nano on a gate for a high chain link fence. Putting it back we dropped it and it fell, where we do not know. We looked for 45 minutes and I sent an e-mail to the owner offering to buy a new one. They refused saying that was one of the hazards of hiding a nano. The gate was locked and we couldn't get on the other side. Felt real bad about dropping it. Dick and Arlene

Yep. Broke the lid to a container. Replaced it with a better one. Dropped a micro and it fell about 20 feet down a very steep and rough bank. Fortunately, it stopped right beside the water and wasn't lost but it took me a fair amount of time and effort to climb down and retrieve it. Not to mention the work getting back up to the top. I've had to travel home for wire to repair a hide as well. Of course now there's wire, pliers, camo duct tape, spare cache containers, etc. in my truck. Sometimes folks use flimsy cache containers that are just asking to be broken. I'm careful but, just in case, I like to have repair items or replacement containers available if possible. Sometimes I'm just amazed at what people will try to use for cache containers though.......

Haven't had to replace a container but I did have to replace a log. I was a FTF on a cache and I must have cut my finger while opening the ammo can because as I was signing the log I notice I had bled all over it. I ripped out any of the contaminated pages and left behind the clean pages and my sig (couldn't let the next guy think he was the FTF) while I went to the local store to buy a new log. On the way back to replace it I ran into the second to find as he was coming back.

Haven't had to replace a container but I did have to replace a log. I was a FTF on a cache and I must have cut my finger while opening the ammo can because as I was signing the log I notice I had bled all over it. I ripped out any of the contaminated pages and left behind the clean pages and my sig (couldn't let the next guy think he was the FTF) while I went to the local store to buy a new log. On the way back to replace it I ran into the second to find as he was coming back.

I broke one of your caches actually slukster! Retrieved it by using a 30 foot stick to know it down the cliff and the top came off. Good thing those ammo can tops are easy to put back on :lol: Dont worry - we used rope to replace it :D

We had a cache here that was a micro container (which I can't describe further without giving the cache away) that was suspended by a hook from the inside of the cap on a round metal fence post.

Within a few finds it was dropped down the fence post and later retrieved. If I recall correctly, after the last drop it was archived. It was a great cache, but the nature of the hide spelled its ultimate demise.

Others I have seen used containers not designed for outdoor use or made of materials which degrade over time when exposed to sunlight. Can't fault the finder for damaging the container if it was already broken or crumbling to pieces.

Bottom line is, when you put out a cache, think about what may happen if someone drops it while retrieving it or if they can't figure out how to properly open the container. If possible, mention in the description to be careful when grabbing it or include a hint on how to open it. Might even consider a tether or secondary attachment so that it gets placed back where it belongs.

Haven't broke a cache yet, but I pulled one out from a tree stump and bumped the side of the stump. When I did the thing just crumbled before my eyes. I rebuilt it as well as I could but the next cacher was sure to find a pile of debris covering the cache instead of a nice hollowed out stump.

That happened to me once too. :)

The cache was hidden inside a hole in a hollow pillar outside a department store. You had to reach inside, grab a string attatched to the cache, and pull it out. When I pulled the string I felt the cache get caught up on something, so I gave it an impatient yank and then pop! the string came off and the cache fell down inside the wall, irretrievably lost. Did I mention that I would have been the FTF? Instead of posting a triumphant FTF log, I had to post a shamefaced DNF confessing to ruining the cache for everyone else. The owner replaced it, and through I made several attempts to find it again there were always muggles or the store was closed, and then I left the country. In the end I finally did get back and actually sign the log - almost three years after that ill-fated FTF!

I was out on a caching adventure in South Jersey with one of my caching buddies from NJ (I live in WV now but still lived in Jersey at that time) we were about midway through our caching day and it was the last cache before stopping for a bite to eat. He noticed that the area was tick haven so after finding the cache he told me to sign his name for him while he pulled ticks off his dog. I was juggling my gps the cache container and the log was in its own container I was screwing the lid on the log container when it slipped from my hands and fell into a Groundhog hole. I called my buddy over and told him the situation first we tried retrieving the log from the hole but the hole was too deep (I wonder if groundhogs cache? LOL) Lucky for me my buddy had an extra log in his car so I replaced the log and explained it to the owner in a very detailed email and thorough apology and also apologized in my log. I was very emarrassed. There was an event I was attending the Tuesday after the incident (it was on a sunday) Needless to say I was the talk of the event and got some snickers from my fellow cachers. :laughing::lol:;)

I found a fake bolt cache on a pedestrian overpass where the glue had broken so it was in two pieces. So as I picked it up the top half fell into the grass 30 feet below. Finding that was the hard part. The logs were a comical series of references to the same problem while trying to not give away the cache itself. But the owner was AWOL and it was eventually archived.

On a weekend trip a few months ago with my wife, came up on a hide that we eventually surmised was a magnetic key holder in a storm drain. Well, as I feel for it, I knock it loose and see it tumble down into the pile of leaves in the bottom of the drain (hadn't rained in a while, so everything was fairly dry down there). Did you know how heavy those grate inserts are? Pretty heavy, but not heavy enough to move out of the way so I can lay down in the road and reach down into the drain and grab the cache. After replacing the grate, i sign the log, and make sure BOTH magnets are firmly attached to metal when I replace the cache.

The cache was hidden inside a hole in a hollow pillar outside a department store. You had to reach inside, grab a string attatched to the cache, and pull it out. When I pulled the string I felt the cache get caught up on something, so I gave it an impatient yank and then pop! the string came off and the cache fell down inside the wall, irretrievably lost. Did I mention that I would have been the FTF? Instead of posting a triumphant FTF log, I had to post a shamefaced DNF confessing to ruining the cache for everyone else. The owner replaced it, and through I made several attempts to find it again there were always muggles or the store was closed, and then I left the country. In the end I finally did get back and actually sign the log - almost three years after that ill-fated FTF!

Sounds like a wee bit of an over reaction. You did not have to leave the country over a lost cache. I'm sure the cache owner understood and forgave you. :)

We found a nano, but somehow lost the lid in the grass. After searching for as long as we could, we took the remainder of the cache with us (as there was no way to leave it in anyway protected). We immediately notified the cache owner of the situtation and our plans to replace the container when back in the area (about a week later). The owner then temporarily disabled the cache.

After placing the log in the new container and replacing the cache, we gave our search one more try and promptly found the original lid. However, it wasn't for naught as we then promptly lost the nano magnet in the grass again. Oh, well!

Interestingly enough, another cacher found and logged the cache before we had time to contact the owner later the same day.

i found one that was screwed into a lid which prevented it from falling down a metal fence post. there was a digital camera inside for cachers to take pictures of themselves when they made the find. i didn't screw the lid on correctly and the container fell to the bottom which was below ground level because the post was burried a few feet in the ground. I was the first one to ever do this so I informed the creator and he said he created some sort of wire hanger/string system to fish it out. He said he would keep his device since he was sure it would probably happen again.