Found Possible Lost Relic / TB

The Other Stu

Hi guys.

We could be barking up the wrong tree here, but we need some help.

We found the following in a cache here in the UK the other day.

878f3d8kx32ys9cz6fmu.jpgct5ipmluv99lcils9ova.jpg

Before anyone asks, there are no logs that imply that this was left by anyone in particular, the owner knows nothing and we have done the following investigation:

Searched for anything containing the users name

Ran searches on caches in and around Kelowna for this user

Ran searches on TBs containing Kelowna in any of the text

Googled Adventuras Fiona

Any ideas?

I placed a note on the bcgeocaching.com forum one of our directors for the BC geocaching association is from Kelowna - and he helps maintain the website. Hopefully we can find where it belongs..

message posted at www.bcgeocaching.com

Thank you for keeping an eye out for the TB's!!

I placed a note on the bcgeocaching.com forum one of our directors for the BC geocaching association is from Kelowna - and he helps maintain the website. Hopefully we can find where it belongs..

message posted at www.bcgeocaching.com

Thank you for keeping an eye out for the TB's!!

I'll use this note for replying to... the thread...

adventurous_fiona is listed in the members list... 12 caches in England and BC found... No trackables listed

on the profile... latest were in 07...

Edit: My Error... ALL were in 08 last in October 26 08 while in England...

Tag found was left... earlier in September... it seems:

GC16W0E Scout and About

September 2, 2008 by adventurous_fiona (12 found)

Found cache with my mum :angry:

First find in the UK...nice intro.

Took star, left piece of 'Kelowna' pottery.

Looks like it is just a tag with a misson... not trackable...

Just a start, I'm still looking around... you keep going.

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Found cache with my mum :D

Just a start, I'm still looking around... you keep going.

Doug

Yeah, I've stumbled on a handful of "home made" travelers in my career that were not trackable. I even delivered one to a cache owner (dropped off in his cache) that made it across Canada from BC to Southern Ontario. Hopefully this one will make it home too.

Hi guys.

We could be barking up the wrong tree here, but we need some help.

We found the following in a cache here in the UK the other day.

Before anyone asks, there are no logs that imply that this was left by anyone in particular, the owner knows nothing and we have done the following investigation:

Searched for anything containing the users name

Ran searches on caches in and around Kelowna for this user

Ran searches on TBs containing Kelowna in any of the text

Googled Adventuras Fiona

Any ideas?

First: See my first note... if you haven't so far...

Second: The image represents OGOPOGO... BC's Nessie... whose home is Lake Okanagan in Central BC

Same location for Kelowna. Several cities there claim 'pogo' as their own.

Third: Looking thru the listings, it appears that it is possible that

runningduck and/or mk rambling rose were the movers from Scout and About... but that is just speculation since you didn't mention where you found it...

I did some guessing. Perhaps you could ask them

since it's your mystery and they are locals there.

Right now it seems to be 'swag' on a mission as I said... perhaps it's a cause looking for a TB tag???

The item is a ready made 'mission' tag.

You'll have to contact adventurous fiona... although if you traded for it, it would appear to be yours for now.

Edit: Reading the Okanagan logs in 'fiona's' profile... Looks likes she is one of yours... was visiting Kelowna

and started caching with a friend / family... Better look closer to home... probably a bit older than first though as well... these things take time... don't they...

Good luck, what ever happens...

Doug

Edited by 7rxc

Found cache with my mum :D

Doug

Yeah, I've stumbled on a handful of "home made" travelers in my career that were not trackable. I even delivered one to a cache owner (dropped off in his cache) that made it across Canada from BC to Southern Ontario. Hopefully this one will make it home too.

I sure hope so... I'm pretty sure that I have the right information... given the log... It points out the importance of noting small details in the online logs though, doesn't it... 'fiona' noted that she left it in the log as I printed it above... No one actually posted taking it in trade, of course it isn't a trackable that I've seen

listed... ie 'fiona' has none activated. I have mentioned two cachers who were at the original drop and at

caches listed by TOStu as done recently... the timeline is good, BUT it could be someone who hasn't posted a log yet for Scout and About... I asked TOS for info on where he or his Tiger may have picked it up... but

that is more a local mystery in England... I'm not much help other than steerage...

Just a note in leaving... I'm originally from Toronto... came West in 95... and I'm still hosting a TB over the

Winter... I couldn't leave it in the cache it was in... has a history of flooding in the spring... and most of

the local caches are too small for it... but I've been showing it around til spring...

Here's to helpful cachers...

Doug

I do live in Kelowna, but have never heard of that name, nor seen that object (or anyone just like it) before.

We'll do our best to find the intended, by showing pictures at all the local events.

If you want to send it over, we could show it around, and even didp it into the local caches.

I do live in Kelowna, but have never heard of that name, nor seen that object (or anyone just like it) before.

We'll do our best to find the intended, by showing pictures at all the local events.

If you want to send it over, we could show it around, and even didp it into the local caches.

Try looking for a cacher subn1vean apparently adventurous_fiona was visiting with him last summer

and went back to UK... she may be trying to get it back there...

Doug

I contacted the local connection, subn1vean, and have this reply:

Hi ! That is from Fiona, my husband's cousin who was in Kelowna last summer ! She bought that piece from the farmers market and yes, I think she is trying to get it back to Kelowna. Where is it? Do you think we could somehow help her along by making it a TB? We are fairly new to this and don't know how. Maybe whoever has it now can register it and request it get back to our cache? (Let's Go to the Movies in Kelowna). Let me know what we should do!

Let's go to the Movies IS the cache I linked just above.

Do you guys want to put a TB tag on it?

Hi Everyone... Glad to see this is working out... I suggested it might be worthy of a tag back in #6...

it should be of interest to everyone who contributed to resolving the mystery... I've been of the opinion that

working queries like this is almost more fun than caches themselves... not quite, but in our climate up here in the middle of nowhere, is preferable most days...

to Stu: while communicating over there, try contacting the caching pair that might have moved it...

if they or someone else did it they might as well get credit IF it becomes a tag... it could be dipped

retroactively... it's only one cache along it's journey... it seems... Somebody had to move the 'pottery'...

Hopefully adventurous_fiona will drop in and say hi too!

Thanks to all for the hunt!

Doug

Hi Everyone... Glad to see this is working out... I suggested it might be worthy of a tag back in #6...

it should be of interest to everyone who contributed to resolving the mystery... I've been of the opinion that

working queries like this is almost more fun than caches themselves... not quite, but in our climate up here in the middle of nowhere, is preferable most days...

to Stu: while communicating over there, try contacting the caching pair that might have moved it...

if they or someone else did it they might as well get credit IF it becomes a tag... it could be dipped

retroactively... it's only one cache along it's journey... it seems... Somebody had to move the 'pottery'...

Hopefully adventurous_fiona will drop in and say hi too!

Thanks to all for the hunt!

Doug

I still have the "pottery" here so if they do want to make it a tag, I'm happy to hold onto it.

As you said, it could probably do with dipping in and out of the caches, but bearing in mind that I know MK Rambling Rose / Norfolk 12 as they live 6 miles away, it sounds like it hasn't done much travelling!

I still have the "pottery" here so if they do want to make it a tag, I'm happy to hold onto it.

As you said, it could probably do with dipping in and out of the caches, but bearing in mind that I know MK Rambling Rose / Norfolk 12 as they live 6 miles away, it sounds like it hasn't done much travelling!

I'll be happy to send over the TB Tag - e-mail me your address. I have to go the caching store this weekend and pick up some items for our upcoming events so I'll pick up a set of tb tags and send it over to you.. he he

Edited by Tulameen Turtles

Adding a TB tag to the item will certanly make it better able to get back here, and everyone can watch it along the way, I think it might be fun!

I sugest The Other Stu could TB tag the item, to save shipping a tag overseas. The people here are newer cachers, and have not gotten as far as putting tags out yet. I can guide them in setting up a watch, or in accepting an adoption :P, if you are willing.

You can contact them using thier profile here, if you like.

Edit to add: The Turtles posted while I was editing, thanks to you!

Edited by Mach2003

Hey guys

Sorry to cause such a mystery :s

Basically I was over in BC in the summer. I live in the UK and thought it would be fun to see where okopogo got to.

Yeah also like 3 months late coming to the convo....been a bit busy with exams and only just got back from a geological field trip with no internet.

Geocache love,

A_F

Nice to finally hear from you... No need to apologize... I for one relished the hunt, I like mysteries as much or (dare I say it) more than caching...

I used to live in Vernon, north of Kelowna a bit... now I'm in the East Kootenays, almost in Alberta... this is coal country... with a bit of alpine Karst thrown in... caves there be!

I guess the one thing some would like to know... did the Ogopogo pottery (ceramic?) ever become a proper Travel Bug??? It was being discussed after we found who 'fiona' was... I for one would like to keep an eye on it if it did...

Hope to see you around the forums a bit more, even if it is later after school year...

Doug