Is it just me?

sonatellas

Is it just me or are other people treated like they are weird because they go Geocaching? I am finding I am increasing having to keep quiet or make excuses because of my lovely hobby. Is it really as some have said to me "sad, strange, bloody weirdo etc etc" I am not really upset about them because I know they are the ones missing out not me. I am the normal one as we all know in here lol. Has anyone got any good come backs I could use or do you think I should just pretend I collect teapots instead? :angry::D

Is it just me or are other people treated like they are weird because they go Geocaching? I am finding I am increasing having to keep quiet or make excuses because of my lovely hobby. Is it really as some have said to me "sad, strange, bloody weirdo etc etc" I am not really upset about them because I know they are the ones missing out not me. I am the normal one as we all know in here lol. Has anyone got any good come backs I could use or do you think I should just pretend I collect teapots instead? :angry::D

Why don't you just accept that we are weird, and not worry about how all the normal people think they're having fun...... :D;):D

I like to mention Caching in passing and see if the person picks up on it!! Luckily i can rattle on about real ale which is not sad in any way!!

Who cares what they think(Well you do obviously as you asked the question!!) They may have several hobbies that they rattle on about that you find mind numbing so whos to say whos normal??

If your friends dont agree with you get new friends :D

Andy :angry:

Must admit I don't get asked, even though I have made my truck trackable with a large TB sign in the back window and a GC.com window cling thing.

As personalised plates are cheap over here (if it's available it's yours for just a small fee, none of this rake in the funds for desirable registrations) I know several cachers who have made their wheels trackable and have the licence plate showing the TB ID so people can log a discover if they see it at a meet or on the road.

But then this is a strange city in a strange land, so anything can be 'normal' :angry::D:D

Is it just me or are other people treated like they are weird because they go Geocaching? I am finding I am increasing having to keep quiet or make excuses because of my lovely hobby. Is it really as some have said to me "sad, strange, bloody weirdo etc etc" I am not really upset about them because I know they are the ones missing out not me. I am the normal one as we all know in here lol. Has anyone got any good come backs I could use or do you think I should just pretend I collect teapots instead? :D-_-

If that many bad reactions it's just possible that you're a geocachiong bore :D

Do you tell all and sundry about your hobbies or just those who have a genuine interest?

Is it just me or are other people treated like they are weird because they go Geocaching? I am finding I am increasing having to keep quiet or make excuses because of my lovely hobby. Is it really as some have said to me "sad, strange, bloody weirdo etc etc" I am not really upset about them because I know they are the ones missing out not me. I am the normal one as we all know in here lol. Has anyone got any good come backs I could use or do you think I should just pretend I collect teapots instead? :D-_-

If that many bad reactions it's just possible that you're a geocachiong bore :D

Do you tell all and sundry about your hobbies or just those who have a genuine interest?

Teapots it is then lol :huh::P

Its said to be the fastest growing sport currently in this country so in a few years they will be all doing it.

Saying that I do get strange looks when my wife explains to people I enjoy looking for plastic boxs hidden at the base of trees or film canisters stuck to the back of road signs in all weathers.

I think that one of geocaching's great strengths is also one of its problems. It is such a diverse thing that it is hard for Muggles to comprehend.

Is it a sport or a pastime, or a hobby?

Is it conducted in town, in the open countryside, on the flat or up mountains?

Do you conduct it openly or in secret?

You actually pay around 5 pounds for something, and then leave it unattended and complain/don't complain if/when it goes missing?

You can undertake this activity in almost any country in the world, thanks to the benevolence of the US Military and their multi-billion dollar satellite system - all it costs you is upwards of 60 quid for a thing the size of a mobile phone. In fact it could be your phone.

And you're looking for something that could be the size of a finger tip or as big as a bucket.

Does that about sum it up when you explain it? <_<

I think that one of geocaching's great strengths is also one of its problems. It is such a diverse thing that it is hard for Muggles to comprehend.

Is it a sport or a pastime, or a hobby?

Is it conducted in town, in the open countryside, on the flat or up mountains?

Do you conduct it openly or in secret?

You actually pay around 5 pounds for something, and then leave it unattended and complain/don't complain if/when it goes missing?

You can undertake this activity in almost any country in the world, thanks to the benevolence of the US Military and their multi-billion dollar satellite system - all it costs you is upwards of 60 quid for a thing the size of a mobile phone. In fact it could be your phone.

And you're looking for something that could be the size of a finger tip or as big as a bucket.

Does that about sum it up when you explain it? :huh:

LOL I am now learning this quote for quote. It sums it up brilliantly. You see you explain it so well lol. I don't go on and on about it you see. (Maybe a little bit) They ask me what I did at the weekend and there is only the one answer. Geocaching! <_<:(

LOL I am now learning this quote for quote. It sums it up brilliantly. You see you explain it so well lol. I don't go on and on about it you see. (Maybe a little bit) They ask me what I did at the weekend and there is only the one answer. Geocaching! :D:P

Pick another hobby. A really REALLY geeky one, like tyre spotting, or ferret gargling.

Research it - then next time they ask you, lie about what you did, and tell them about your new hobby.

Aftrwards you can confess, and tell them really you were caching - and you'll seem positively normal in comparison.

Problem solved! <_<:(:huh:

What it comes down to is this...

Does it really matter?

I have had MORE people say "That sounds fun!" then comment on the weirdness. If they don't like it you just don't bore them with details.

As far as normal goes, there is no such thing anymore and that is a GOOD thing.