COINTEST! Name my geo-puppy!

DJ.J.ROCK

Ooops didn't read that properly so....

GONE

Tip: Teach him to walk properly on a leash- at heel- so he doesn't pull all the time (I used to have a beagle/ fox terrier cross only dog I've owned) then he will be good enough to let little one walk him! (and won't pull her over or anything)

...or you can name him MAX! ;)

I think that was the name of the man who actually created this kind of dog!

I like that name! I think that name was used in a movie too for a similar dog! ;)

Tip: The dog you choose is the best guard! Yes, it is a guard dog! he can be trained easily, and he can act with speed! when he bites a bad guy.... :)

That is the reason that it is in use by Police, army etc! I think it has the title of the dog of the century!

As a guard dog, he will love you and guard you and your family without thinking that his life is in danger! He only expects from you to treat him with love, and care about him! show him that!

BTW... this dog can understand very easy how you feel! If you are not feeling good emotionaly (of the opposite), he will understand this and you will see his reactions! :D

Also, during geocaching, keep a close eye to him! He has the 6th sence, so he may see, smell or feel things and danger that you do not see! Trust him!

PATHFINDER

It is important to wash and inspect paws after outdoor activities or walks to remove any traces of salts or chemicals and to check for injuries. Examine the foot pads and between the toes for inflammation, cuts, splinters, gravel or any other abnormalities. Following up with a thin layer of Paw Wax or Vaseline can help soothe irritations. Reapplying before the next outing can also help protect paws.

CrumbSnatcher

After seeing that pic of him eating the sandwich. LOL too funny.

Having a dog to cache with can be a great asset. You will figure out how to handle the lil one and the pup suffice to say they can be a great decoy until someone wants to come up and talk because oh the baby is so adorable and who can resist a cute puppy. that's when you throw a crumb and he runs to snatch it up. Can't wait to hear what you decide on. :D

Thanks c&s 143

Edited by c&s 143

CrumbSnatcher

After seeing that pic of him eating the sandwich. LOL too funny.

Having a dog to cache with can be a great asset. You will figure out how to handle the lil one and the pup suffice to say they can be a great decoy until someone wants to come up and talk because oh the baby is so adorable and who can resist a cute puppy. that's when you throw a crumb and he runs to snatch it up. Can't wait to hear what you decide on. :D

Thanks c&s 143

I would name him Scout or Fritz.

When searching for caches and muggles approach tell Scout to go potty.. People lose intrest in what you are doing when your dog is "doin its buisness" My rottie will squat on command.. It works almost everytime. Happy hunting!

Since you're DJ how about calling the pup JD. And even though it's been said already, sit/stay is one of the most important commands you'll use. Especially the stay part, nothing is more frustrating than having your dog yank on the leash just as you reach in to pull the logbook thus dumping the cache all over the ground! Trust me on that one. :P

:P Why not name him Moun10dog? :D Just kiding!!! It is like a name of a geocoin....

Tip: I believe that you should check your dog every time you are coming back from geocaching! Since you will be out in the fields, he may caught fleas, or ticks, or bedbugs! you may have problems mostly with Ticks! Check you dog and it is good for the dog to wear the special colar for the fleas etc!

I am saying that not only for the dog, but for you too! They are not good for humans too, so...

Here is a few more: PUPPET, SWAMP DONKEY, OZMO, VENUM, GAMBLER, THORNE, THISTLE, SOCK MONKEY, MONSTER, BIONIC, FORAGE, SCUD, WIGGLER, and THE ILLUMINATOR.

I think I would train the dog to track the smell of #2 lead pencils. Unless it is a "Micro" then thats when having a kid with helps because they always see things from a different angle.

HE-HE!!!! :P

BIG-HOPPER, TWITCH, SPOOK, TORPEDO, LUCKY 13, OLD #7, COOTER, BOOYAH, WRONG-WAY, TREMOR, X-CALIBUR, BOMBER, PIGSKIN, ROGUE, DOOZEE, BOOGEE, CORTEZ, KNUCKLE-HEAD, HOUDINI, SAMURIA, and TEENY-WEE.

Do not take your dog catching the winter, you might loose it in the snow. TIP: Put blaze orange on in the winter.

Edited by dardevle

Hmm.....How about name him Geo-wolf??? :)

Tip: If you want to train your dog by yourself, and teach him to hear and execute your orders, (simple ones like sit, come, stand still etc...ok?), take a rope with the length of 4-5 meters!

tide the rope on his colar and then say what you want to execute, like the simple..."sit"!

At first he will not understand or listen but at the end, with moves of your hands to show him what to do, he will do it! Be patient! This needs a lot of patient!!!

When he finally do it, give him a reward, something to eat! I do not know what they use! Candy? sugar, bisquit? I do not know!

Now, it is tie to use the rope! hold the end of it and go some meters away from the dog! that is why the rope needs to be 4-5 meters long! then call order him to "come"! It will be good to use his name in the orders! By that way he will get it easier and he will learn his name too! ;)

Anyway... if he will not come to you, just pull the rope to you to make him understand what you want! When he comes to you, ask him to sit once again! when he will do it, reward him again!

You can add other orders in time! :)

If you do that for 15- 20 minutes every day for 3 months, he will execute any order he learned! :)

Hawkeye

When you teach commands like sit, stay, heel, find cache - teach a hand command as well. They are double the command and work when your mouth is full - like when you are holding the leash in your mouth the young one up on your knee searching for swag in the cache as you sign the log :D

We're down to the wire. Hope Lucky likes his caching 'alias' ...

Name: Orange Blossom Dog, or Nature Scent Dog, or Evergreen Dog, or Old Spicy Dog, or Tea Tree Tracker, or.... you get the idea :laughing:

Advice:

The pleasure of the young in caching will decrease in proportion to the time it takes to find the cache.

So - after 5 minutes, if you do not have the cache found - come back another day!

Lil' ROCK

262268OtVS_w-1.jpg

To avoid problems in doghood, train your puppy to do certain things, like spinning records!

Hmm.... maybe you are getting a bit too close to the new puppy??? Might want to keep him from your ones and twos also, I bet he will give whole new meaning to mixn' and scratcn'!!!!! :)

Boy is this bringing back some memories for me!!! :laughing:

The light line

Also known to many trainers as a check-cord, the light line is an invaluable aid to training. It allows the handler to control the dog at a greater distance than is possible using the training leash.

lightline.jpg Fifty feet of light-weight cotton awning cord can be purchased at the local builder supply for five or six dollars. Get a couple of small bolt-snaps at the same time. Burn the line in the middle, so that you have two pieces, twenty-five feet long. Tie a bolt-snap to one end of each piece and tie a hand loop in the other end. Use a bowline knot at both ends.

It's a good idea to wear gloves when using a light line, especially with big, strong, dogs. If he suddenly decides to take off at full speed, and you grab the line, it will be stripped through your palms before you have a chance to marry a loop over your thumb. With bare hands, this can result in rope burns that will leave a lasting impression, not only in your mind, but on your hands as well. Doeskin gloves are great for this kind of activity.

I regularly use the light line to help make the transition from working on-leash to working off-leash. With the dog trailing the light line, it's easy to prevent the dog from escaping if he breaks a sit or drop. Until he has learned that I can control him from a distance, I just stay near the end of the light line. If he makes a dash for freedom, stepping on the line, or picking it up, allows me to maintain control.

The light line is also good for the dog that runs off instead of coming when called. Let him trail the line around the yard for a few minutes until he forgets about it and then call him. Just make sure you're close to, or standing on, the end of the light line so you can grab it if he tries to beat you.

There are many situations where the light line can help you teach your dog at a distance. Just don't ever leave it on him when he's not supervised.

Good luck with your training!

I would suggest the name WOLFGANG! (After either Wolfgang Van Halen or Mozart) Wolfie for short

A tip for caching with a dog and a youngin........Don't turn your head away for a moment from either one of them unless they both are on a leash and even then watch closely. It only takes a second to get hurt. Make caching a game and they will grow up enjoying these outings.....

sure!

Digger

Is your dog panting in the heat of summer or trying to keep warm on cold winter nights? You can add comfort to your dog's sleeping arrangements by adding accessories to their sleep area. Heated beds are available to keep your pooch warm and toasty. Just plug them in and let your dog enjoy the warmth. To keep your canine nice and cool, try a cooler mat. Some are designed to be soaked in water and air-dried and will keep their chilling power for days.

Instead of DJJ Rock how about K9 Rock? Or K9 Rock Hound?

Tip: Puppies and babies have a lot in common. For one thing they are very curious about the world around them and tend to put anything and everything in their mouths. Be aware of the many poisonous things they might find out there in the woods. Or even things you might take as little snacks--raisins are bad news for dogs.....

Buddy. He will always be your family`s best, most loyal one.

Tip? Dont know what to say. All I can think of now is what I am feeling and not really caching themed. Our ailing old dog left me a present yesterday morning which I found in the dark. And then the other foot hit something else of the close kind. I went to work mad, not really at him but what had happened. While at work I got a text message telling me the step daughter is going in next Thursday for induced labor for the twins, 2 days short of my birthday. Came home and found out that the dog was put to sleep. I gave him a few treats like I always do and a scratch on the head on my way out the door. But now all I can think if is the last time I had with him I was in a fowl mood. Treat every minute like it could be your last together.

Tip? Dont know what to say. All I can think of now is what I am feeling and not really caching themed. Our ailing old dog left me a present yesterday morning which I found in the dark. And then the other foot hit something else of the close kind. I went to work mad, not really at him but what had happened. While at work I got a text message telling me the step daughter is going in next Thursday for induced labor for the twins, 2 days short of my birthday. Came home and found out that the dog was put to sleep. I gave him a few treats like I always do and a scratch on the head on my way out the door. But now all I can think if is the last time I had with him I was in a fowl mood. Treat every minute like it could be your last together.

I am so sorry. Its always so hard to lose your best friend. I have been through it too. Many hugzzzz across the miles to you. :antenna::D

I am so sorry. Its always so hard to lose your best friend. I have been through it too. Many hugzzzz across the miles to you. :antenna::D

ME too, IB. what is more sad is that you weren't consulted?

I am so sorry. Its always so hard to lose your best friend. I have been through it too. Many hugzzzz across the miles to you. :D:D

ME too, IB. what is more sad is that you weren't consulted?

yeah you dident eeven get to say goodbye after all those years? im very sorry!!!

when i was a boy i had an alaskan malimute, after a few years he was my best friend,,i remember hugging this big furry fluf ball ,,crying because i got in trouble. one day i came home from school and he was gone,,,,, someone snipped his dog run line and stole him from me,, i was sooooo sad i dident get to say goodbye!

to stay on topic,, everyone has 1 day left to give the best geo-name for ,,Lucky(our new puppy) and give the best tip for caching with a 2 yr old and a puppy in 1 posting , the prize is a mwgb parrot cheese head coin mailed out to you. :D

good luck and may the best posting win!!!!

How about naming him .......

.... TIP

My Tip : Bring one of those plastic saucer sleds, you know the round ones, They move easy through your regular woods , trails etc, and it can be used for stuff or pulling your 2 year old along or even a tired Pup, Heck, strap it to Tip and HOLD ON !!!!!!!

Great Cointest, Thanx

Opalsns

How about naming him .......

.... TIP

My Tip : Bring one of those plastic saucer sleds, you know the round ones, They move easy through your regular woods , trails etc, and it can be used for stuff or pulling your 2 year old along or even a tired Pup, Heck, strap it to Tip and HOLD ON !!!!!!!

Great Cointest, Thanx

Opalsns

thank you opalsns you were the only one to participate on the final day!!

Once again this was very hard to decide,, we put the best ones in a hat and drew 1 out,, this was the winner

and the winner is........ post #9

Oh my, ... I actually cried out when I saw how cute the little guy is!!

I would recommend "Scout" or "CacheScout" as a nick-name.

Shepards are awesome, smart and have a wonderful nose. I would recommend training him for commands. Early on in training food is a great reward to solidfy concepts so bring some with you in a baggie for him.

Start your caching walk with 'find cache' and then when you reach GZ use the command 'sniff'. You will likely find the cache first (at first!), so bring him over to the cache and repeat the command 'sniff', and then 'sit'. Give him a reward for finding the cache and sitting, especially early on the more interesting YOU make the cache the better. Have it like you keep finding tasty treats in the cache that you give him while he sits nicely waiting for you to log.

If you are less into the stealth piece, you could even teach him to bark when the cache is found and then sit.

If you haven't done pet training before I would highly recommend positive reinforcement as the primary method, including a method called clicker training. I also recommend "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller which describes it.

Have fun!! I am a wee bit jealous. I have a dog who comes with us on many cache runs, but she is older and it is harder to teach and she has a horrid nose. Please let us know how your caching with Scout goes ;-).

Sandra of Sandyduff

Lucky Scout!!

a Scout is bold.honorable,loyal and hard worker and this was a great posting!

I took both of them out today for a cache!! i had everything i needed for the trip,thx to this thread,, but boy was it a trial of patience,2 hrs for a 15 20 min cache. coulda used a leash for the kid,, i also picked a bad cache to find as the cache was on an edge taped to a pole,that you had to pull up but Zariah and Lucky were just as eger to go on the edge as i. so i tryed to put the leash on a pole so he wouldent follow,, he went crazy!! then the lil one got tired and she gets cranky,, so i had to carry her on my shoulders and Lucky got a thorn in his paw!! so imagine me with a kid on my shoulders bent down trying to pull a thorn out of a puppy that wont stop moving, and yelping, then the lil one thought it would be funnie to try to jump up and down on my shoulders,,talk about a back killer,,lol we made it tho ,,and both came home and were asleap by the driveway!!

Hororable mentions include

dr neal and opalsns - for the tips,, they will be very helpfull along the journy!!

and

dr neal

geo-error

team cedo

gatoulis

opalsns

for their consistant entrys,thank you for your effort it did not go unnoticed, and 1 of each persons posting #s was put in the hat for the final draw as well as a few others and there were a few postings we really liked but they did not follow the rules, :) so i could not include them in the draw.

post #9 sandyduff please send me your addy via e-mail thru my profile!!! thank you all for entering my cointest!!!!

Congrats Sandyduff :laughing::laughing:

I like lucky scout very much :D

DJ.J rock thanks for the cointest :D:D

Everytime we go cache with our error it is a feast. :o

And i tel you a secret :laughing:

Friday we would go caching but i got a important phone call i most take care for.

Our Error goes the whole time..miep piep whhooottt miep.

Till we were ready to go cache :o

That daarrnn dog is more cache addicted as us :):):laughing: