COINTEST! Name my geo-puppy!

DJ.J.ROCK

My wife came home with a puppy last night to my susprize, no, she dident tell me they were going to buy a puppy. At first I was a bit mad they left me out and that we did not discuss having a dog. But after meeting the puppy and how much Zariah loves him , I couldent say no

He's really took a liking to me,, and I can see Im gonna have a new freind and family member around and to cache with, so heres the skoop

I need a geo-nick name for our new geo-puppy- one he can grow with so, a cutiesy name he'll out grow wont work. I also need tips on caching with 1 adult 1 kid and 1 dog because it sounds like a handfull to me and to be stelthy is going to be alot harder.

To win you must give a geo-nick name and at least 1 tip I could use while tring to cache with a lil one and a puppy.

you may post as many times as you like,just not back to back, meaning twice in a row!

The cointest will run for 2 weeks and will end 2 sundays from today.

we will pick a winner based on best name and tip in 1 posting there will be 1 winner, and 1 coin, if it is to close to call we will pt the best ones in a hat and draw 1 out.

the coin is undecided at this time and will be a trackable coin sent to you in the mail.

other info-- he is a german shepard- wolf hybreed.

cffc89cc-4289-4f62-95bf-40c4ee208dd7.jpg

0c1ee871-acf7-475e-8028-2afa0db92860.jpg

Hey, congrats on ur new family member :angry:

My tip on how to cache with this bunch would be:

Let the dog get to the box and the child run behid it, then u yell come back and have to run behind them and there is ur excuse for hitting the bushes in the middle of a park :D

As a geonick I would suggest Cach(eCh)ew, as he is brown like a cashewnut and probably likes to chew. Cache due to it´s a cachingname :D

(I hope I did not do any misspelling ;))

Hello,

Welcome to your new family member and caching partner.

I would suggest "Scotty" Why well when you leave your house you can say "Scotty turn on the clocking device" You will then be just about invisible with a child and a dog.

Hope this helps.

kf4oox - Paul

I'd name him "askum" ... the reactions from people that ask his name would be priceless... how many people would bend down and actually ask the dog it's name??? LoL

Tip: While caching with the pup, avoid higher terrain caches for the first little bit... the trail may be ok for you, but it may be too much for the little one until it gets used to it

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE NEW PUPPY :D

I think a good name for him would be "Hutch" reason I have to say this is sbecause I have a story, as sad story to tell you, but I would like to share with you all.

When growing up my dad always liked German shepard's. He always had one when growing up as a child as well. Well he bought me a German shepard and I named him Hutch. Hutch was my best friend. I would be out there in the middle of the Winter in Cold Michigan and be training him. He was my pal, we did everything together. My dad always has said if that dog ever turns on any of us that dog or any German shepard he own will be shot. Not Hutch this guy was a girls best friend. Hutch was a loyal companion.

One day a UPS driver came into the driveway running like a madman and not only ran over my full grown dog, but when he left after droping the package off in my hads hands and was just took off like nothing had happened, I ran screaming, my day was shattered. He also backed over my dog, and left without saying sorry or like anything had happened. My dad emmediatley called UPS and reported the way he was driving, and what he did to his daughters dog. That man was supposed to have gotten a safe driving certicate/award that day for being a employee/driver award and that day his job ended. He was fired. He called and appologeised but the damage was done. To this day I miss my best Friend "Hutch". I have bought a Rainbow Bridge coin in rememberance of my buddy it is helped me knowing he is doggie heaven.

Now on to the tip, geocaching will be real easy for you have your child in a backsack and have your new puppy on a leash letting him hunt out for the caches for you. He will be a good sniffer, and will find all the caches for you. Cache on and Have a great day :angry:

Oh my, ... I actually cried out when I saw how cute the little guy is!!

I would recommend "Scout" or "CacheScout" as a nick-name.

Shepards are awesome, smart and have a wonderful nose. I would recommend training him for commands. Early on in training food is a great reward to solidfy concepts so bring some with you in a baggie for him.

Start your caching walk with 'find cache' and then when you reach GZ use the command 'sniff'. You will likely find the cache first (at first!), so bring him over to the cache and repeat the command 'sniff', and then 'sit'. Give him a reward for finding the cache and sitting, especially early on the more interesting YOU make the cache the better. Have it like you keep finding tasty treats in the cache that you give him while he sits nicely waiting for you to log.

If you are less into the stealth piece, you could even teach him to bark when the cache is found and then sit.

If you haven't done pet training before I would highly recommend positive reinforcement as the primary method, including a method called clicker training. I also recommend "The Power of Positive Dog Training" by Pat Miller which describes it.

Have fun!! I am a wee bit jealous. I have a dog who comes with us on many cache runs, but she is older and it is harder to teach and she has a horrid nose. Please let us know how your caching with Scout goes ;-).

Sandra of Sandyduff

Rockey (rocky?)

look into a water supply you can take with you...I use a "gulpy pet water dispenser.) clips onto a belt or my pants, can also attach a bottled water directly to it...just about any chain pet store should have something.

ILYK

Thats an awesome looking pup. He's gonna be a big boy. I have an 11 month old Shephard-Boxer mix (he's in my avatar), he's about 70 pounds right now, and he is great. By the looks of it, your pup looks like he might go a bit bigger. Shep mix's are usually great dogs & ofc very smart.

Name - Hunter (its an all around name, but also goes with hunting caches)

Tip - Train him early on to sniff out tuppaware/plastic containers. Put treats inside the container, and show him that you open the container and the treats are inside. He will associate the tuppaware smell with treats. A nice reward. You pup should train easily. Then while on caches, your dog can sniff the caches out, you can recover the cache, then let your kid open up the containers and enjoy the swag. Good luck, pups are alot of fun & work.

*btw - how many weeks is the pup?

Edited by Scare Tactics

Take a Chew toy with you for the pup to chew on when signing logs, It'll keep him out of the cache. Take it away while walking, he will learn he gets that treat at each cache.

TRACKER or as we say here in Maine, TRACKAH

a good grow with pup name.

He's a BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

"Z"

Definitely need to start with a leash or a tracking leash...he's/she's going to have a high prey drive, and at least until he/she's a little older between watching the dog and Zariah, it'll be dog-gone if there are any "critters" in the area.

ILYK

Congratulations my friend!!! your puppy is adorable!!! :angry:

How about name him Rudy? It is a german name... I think! It comes from the name Rudolph!

I am not sure, but I think I heard that dogs like better small names! they can learn to hear it easier!

Rudy is a nice name from his country! :D

Now a tip... I do not know much about dogs... sorry!

I believe it is good to show him first that you are the boss, what he can not do and how to listen you! hmm... maybe you must learn him where he can .... so you will not face problems in the house or in the car!!! :D

It is good to learn to hold them until...

If you take him out just like that and go geocaching in the wild, you may face problems!

What I mean!

Just because he is a puppy, everything for him is a toy! He may find an other animal and start playing with it without understanding! He may harm the animal or he may be in danger!!!

An othertihing is that if he will not listen you and start running and playing... you may lose him!!! if he goes far away from you....

A third thing to watch is how he will react when he will see an other man in the area! Muggle or a geocacher....

I believe it is good to play with him during geocaching! Let him snif the cache, let him see the cache.... he will like the game and will be close to you, he will take it as he is actually helping his boss in something really cool.... and if he likes the game and will not get bored, he even may be official geodog with a TB on his colar, for other geocachers to discover! ;)

Thats an awesome looking pup. He's gonna be a big boy. I have an 11 month old Shephard-Boxer mix (he's in my avatar), he's about 70 pounds right now, and he is great. By the looks of it, your pup looks like he might go a bit bigger. Shep mix's are usually great dogs & ofc very smart.

Tip - Train him early on to sniff out tuppaware/plastic containers. Put treats inside the container, and show him that you open the container and the treats are inside. He will associate the tuppaware smell with treats. A nice reward. You pup should train easily. Then while on caches, your dog can sniff the caches out, you can recover the cache, then let your kid open up the containers and enjoy the swag. Good luck, pups are alot of fun & work.

I AM ENJOYING THE TIPS AND NAMES,, HE IS 9 WEEKS OLD AND HAS HUGE PAWS SO I FIGURE HELL GROW INTO THEM AND BE A BIG DOG

Another name could be Swag, although I like Hunter much better.

Also, 2 weeks is along time to go without having a name for the family pet... Just something to think about.

Edited by Scare Tactics

congrats with your puppy..did you notice he smiles.

I thought t.d Rock means Travel Dog Rock. :D

A dog is very handy by caching..when you seek a cache..and people are looking funny at you.

What is that man and his family doing in the woods.???...then you say.............daarrnn dog where have you left your tennisbal. :angry:

Come kids help find our dog his tennisbal. ;)

You see people then thinking..oke no problem.... :D:D

It works by us..the only thing is our Error looks at us and you see him think tennisbal...did i have a tennisbal :D

Take a Chew toy with you for the pup to chew on when signing logs, It'll keep him out of the cache. Take it away while walking, he will learn he gets that treat at each cache.

TRACKER or as we say here in Maine, TRACKAH

a good grow with pup name.

He's a BEAUTY!!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

I like that tip!

Why not name it GEOrge??? :D It has the GEO in it!!! :D

I am kiding!! ;)

I just saw that rudolph (Rudy) means wolf!!! Is that right??? WOW!!

So.. why not name him Wolfy?? :angry:

A tip....

I was going to write what geoerror wrote! Yes! It is the best thing and alibi during geocaching!!!! None will understand that you are geocaching, none will come to ask you what you are doing! If you want to search... talk to your dog, and start saying where is your toy or ball...

the worst thing will be that maybe someone will want to help you and start searching too!! :D

I do not have a dog but when I go with my father with his bike and see a muggle or someone near a cache.... something happens to the poor bike and we have to fix it!!! :D

ty, ty, ty!

The name...Eartha, a strong, virile name, that brings images to mind of the gods and goddesses of olympus, all wise, all powerful, but of a gentle and giving nature rarely seen on this planet, a pillar of warmth and kindness, and the giver of "Eartha" coins to those who honor the eartha name!

Time to start using a backpack, if you don't already...makes hauling "stuff" for the 3 of you much easier through the woods!

ILYK

My husband did the same thing to me a year ago and I felt the same way as you (first reaction and second reaction!) She is definately a part of the family and now I can't imagine life without her!!

I've always been told its good to name a dog with two syllables, so that being said I'd pick: G + EO = GEO :angry::D

First trick I'd teach him is to SIT. We have two dogs. One knows how and one doesn't. Trust me, its easier when they will sit when commanded to.

Have fun with your puppy regardless what you name him!!

The name...Rothstafari, a strong, virile name, that brings images to mind of the gods and goddesses of olympus, all wise, all powerful, but of a gentle and giving nature rarely seen on this planet, a pillar of warmth and kindness, and the giver of "Eartha" coins to those who honor the Rothstafari name!

Gotta cover all bases!

A harness or haltis, if necessary, will give you better control of Rothstafari while out and about...choke collars, shock collars and pinch collars traumatize.

ILYK
Edited by drneal

Another name could be Swag, although I like Hunter much better.

Also, 2 weeks is along time to go without having a name for the family pet... Just something to think about.

HE WILL HAVE A REGLUAR NAME IN THE NEXT FEW DAYS I IMAGINE!!- I FIGURE 2 WEEKS WILL GIVE HIM TIME TO SETTLE IN AND GET USED TO HIS NEW HOME,, HE IS STILL SAD HE'S NOT WITH HIS BROTHERS AND SISTERS.

Actually,

It's easier for dogs, and cats, To learn 1 syllable commands, example ....sit, stay ,down, come, heel, and ONLY ONE person giving the command ! Not everbody commandig him at the same time. The dog or cat will get confused and not respond( Yup , My cat sits, lays and rolls over and can do it with hand signals too!)I do know what I'm talking about.

And geocachers use GPS' to find caches, not dogs. Teach him to find tupperware and well, there goes all the plastic things in your house !!

Also, when people adopt a pet they generally change it's name, so as long as you love and praise him and say boy or girl, You can take a couple of weeks to name him. He will learn !!!!!

Opalsns

Is it strange that I have 11 posts, and djj only has 3? D*** it (that's right, darn,) Jeremy was next. Might as well finish the sucking up so>>>

The name...Bryan, a strong, virile name, that brings images to mind of the gods and goddesses of olympus, all wise, all powerful, but of a gentle and giving nature rarely seen on this planet, a pillar of warmth and kindness, and the giver of "Eartha" coins to those who honor the Bryan name!

Make time for breaks...keep it fun and interesting for both of the lil ones.

ILYK

Name: Rocky

and as for a tip, start off slow with short hikes. Long ones and you may be carrying him. Be patient, He will get side tracked a lot. All so, be sure to carry water and some training treats. I have a puppy in training right now and when we find a cache I get him sniffing it and get him excited about it. Then I tell him what a great job he did and give him a treat. You can all so make him into a TB so you can dip him into caches as you go and you can then see where he has traveled with you.

Good luck with the puppy

83a02c09-988a-4432-8649-364d23e5674f.jpg

Tebow

Edited by Clarkbowman

I'm throwing in my nomination for Radar ...yeh ...like the guy on M*A*S*H ... a signal kinda name, a satellite kinda name ...

and my tip for geocaching with mom, a kidlet, and pup ...forget stealth. It ain't happening. Start looking for family friendly hikes ... you're going to be having lots of fun and new adventures.

bah....thought I would throw my idea in....

how bout for the name: G-Spot :angry:(short for Geocaching Spot (tradtional Dick, Jane, Spot kinda feel!)

and the tip 1: Bag It trash bags .Very handy and compact 12 bags per roll in a handy little container that can hang off tip 2: baby backpack (or frontpack) to keep the gps and leash holding hands free!

I kinda like "Ammo".

My tip would be to let the little fella get a good sniff of every cache you find. Our GeoDog seems to gather a volume of scents with every cache she investigates. Sometimes she'll even take her pick of the swag if there happens to be something she likes (and is allowed).

You WILL have to do a GeoDog Geocoin that we can add to our collection!

Edited by PaRacers

Name ideas I got from the Shy Wolf Sanctuary Website, a wolf/dog rescue in Naples, Florida:

Shadow (I've looked for caches in countless shadowy places)

Viggo (okay, an old tv shows German[for the German Shepherd] accent saying off we go geocaching)

Caching with children, and puppies, make sure you have plenty of snacks and drinks for both, and something to clean up after with!

Enjoy your new puppy, and check out the Website for the Sanctuary: http://www.shywolfsanctuary.com

I need to go on a tour there soon.

Here is my 2 cents. If you want a geocaching name, I would go with "Waypoint". You could call him "Point" for short. Personally, I've always liked the names "Havok" or "Chaos" for GSDs. As for a tip. First, my credentials. I'm a 7 year police officer with 3 years experience as a K-9 handler. My dog, Vinnie, is a GSD trained in tracking, criminal apprehension, evidence recovery, area and building search, and narcotics detection. To find caches with him, you want him to be able to track a human scent and pinpoint on the human scent left on the caches themselves. Start with food and short tracks. You will need a hot dog weenie. Leave a few bits of weenie in one spot. Now as you start walking in a straight line, rub the weenie on the bottom of your shoe after every couple steps. After a short distance, leave a few more bits of weenie. Let the dog run this track. Every few days make the tracks longer and throw in some 90 degree and gradual turns. Gradually use the weenie less and less until your not using them at all. Your dog is now imprinted on human scent and will track for a long distance. Once he is imprinted, you can use the same principle for the cache itself. You don't want to attempt to imprint him on the scent of ammo boxes or tupperware as this is a longer process and he will then find all items made of metal and plastic. You want him to sniff for the human scent on the caches. Start with caches that have recently been found with a fresh human scent. When he is confindent with that, he will be able to find them when the scent is weak. As in caches that have not been found for a while. Trust me, he will be able to sniff a weak human scent on a cache in the woods because it is out of place with the environment. These are the techniques we use for tracking and evidence recovery. Obedience is a must. It is the key to all other training. You must be the alpha dog. I recommend a correction collar if used properly. When used properly, this will never choke the dog and will not hurt him. Dogs have very few pain receptors in their necks. A good hard correction will be like me giving you a light tap on the back of the hand. Any good dog obedience book written by a police K-9 handler will give you the proper techniques. Eventually, as your child gets older you can transfer the Alpha dog status from you to him/her. Remember to have patience and be consistent. Dogs learn by repitition not reasoning. Use the same commands each time. We use "sook", which is German for "search". Okay, maybe a little more than 2 cents, but that's my advice. Good luck!

Edited by K-9Patrol

oke....i tell my favorite name............... :angry: Worf :D

i think you know who he is :D

i sure like that name.

Tell everytime your dog does a peepy or poopy................you are brave you did peepy...........get very exited.

Let say jump from happiness.

The dog will know over a time what peepy and poopy is and will do it at command.

Very handy when you go somewhere. ;)

And it works.....................both my dogs i have learned this. :D:D