Your writing instrument

Kabuthunk

Just a random pondering as to what writing implemets others use for signing the logbook. The reason this came to mind was a few recent switches I made.

I started out with some no-name pressurized pen. It wrote well in just about any conditions (wet, dry, etc), so it stuck with me for a while. However, winter this year has indicated it couldn't quite stand up to the Winnipeg winters up here. My last cache find was at -45 with the windchill, and the pen refused to cooperate with me. Given the pen was beginning to run low on in, I figured I might as well upgrade since there's still plenty of winter left.

Thus, I got a Fisher Space Pen ink cartridge, and took it one step further to nerd it up a little bit in my own way:

pen3.jpg

Made from a few different sizes of 18 gauge stainless steel rings, in what's known as an "inverted roundmail" weave.

So.... anyone else have a specific writing instrument they use for geocaching?

I've stated before that I'm a minimalist so I have a really bad habit of getting to a cache and not having anything to trade or write with. I tend to get out of the car and take nothing but my keys and GPS. I'm sure it drives my mom (my caching partner) nuts because we get there and I've got nothing to write with or trade and she ends up spotting me.

So I recently got a tiny Sharpie marker that hooks onto my keychain so I've always got something to write with. As long as I haven't left my keys in the car :)

Windchill doesn't have any significance to something that has no internal body heat or a significant heat capacity. You feel it, but the pen doesn't.

Good point... strange, wonder why that didn't come to me when posting. Oh well. It was still -35 without the wind, so obviously the pen's max capabilities were warmer than at least that :angry:

i never really thought about getting a specific pen or pencil for logging. 99% of the time i have a black medium point pen (various brands) on my person. if i have to hike to a cache i will usually take a couple pens and the closest pencil (usually mechanical).

if you ever come across a log i have signed in any color other than black, take note because something unique caused me not to sign in black.

You can't find Powertank pens anywhere anymore.

Office Depot has them on their website. If'n it's that good, it might be worth paying a few more bucks for shipping.

http://www.officedepot.com/catalog/txtSear...l+Powertank+RT+

I have a Fisher Space Pen Q-4, which, depending on how I hold it, produces a red pen, a black pen, a pencil or a stylus.

The last comes in handy with my new Oregon.

Just a random pondering as to what writing implemets others use for signing the logbook. The reason this came to mind was a few recent switches I made.

I started out with some no-name pressurized pen. It wrote well in just about any conditions (wet, dry, etc), so it stuck with me for a while. However, winter this year has indicated it couldn't quite stand up to the Winnipeg winters up here. My last cache find was at -45 with the windchill, and the pen refused to cooperate with me. Given the pen was beginning to run low on in, I figured I might as well upgrade since there's still plenty of winter left.

Thus, I got a Fisher Space Pen ink cartridge, and took it one step further to nerd it up a little bit in my own way:

Made from a few different sizes of 18 gauge stainless steel rings, in what's known as an "inverted roundmail" weave.

So.... anyone else have a specific writing instrument they use for geocaching?

Yep, .98c bic

I find a pencil or pen works really well though I am sure some people swear on crayons. :D

Seriously. I came across some mini-pens and mini-pencils at Big Lots. The pens have chains so you could put it on your keychain. Thats what I did so I ALWAYS will have it with me.