What to do with magnetic key holder caches?

Silly122

I found my 3rd cache today (YEAH) that was described on this site as a magnetic key holder. The object was way up on a pole - much higher than I could have reached. Was I expected to get to it or is taking a picture of it, marking it as found on my gps, and logging it as found on this site enough?

Ditto!!! Many time swe have stood on our car bumper or rear fender, carried a step ladder with us or oftentimes my husband will lift me up until I can reach the highly placed cache. One time he climbed a tree in the middle of the night to claim a cache.

I (at 68 years of age) have climbed a brick wall around the grounds at Graceland in Tenneessee, climbed on top of a big buoy and have sat on my husband's shoulders to retrieve a highly placed cache. Your physical signature on the paper log is your proof you were there.

Have fun and cache on!!

I found my 3rd cache today (YEAH) that was described on this site as a magnetic key holder. The object was way up on a pole - much higher than I could have reached. Was I expected to get to it or is taking a picture of it, marking it as found on my gps, and logging it as found on this site enough?

The entire point of those kinds of caches is figuring out how to retrieve it, sign the log and return it to where it was. So yes, you were expected to get it. If you logged a found it you probably should change it to a DNF or a note.

I found one like that a few years ago and it took duct taping two ski poles together and standing on the roof of my car to get it. Looking through the logs of that cache I saw some people who brought ladders from home or manufactured tools similar to mine. That is the challenge of the cache.

The entire point of those kinds of caches is figuring out how to retrieve it, sign the log and return it to where it was. So yes, you were expected to get it. If you logged a found it you probably should change it to a DNF or a note.

I found one like that a few years ago and it took duct taping two ski poles together and standing on the roof of my car to get it. Looking through the logs of that cache I saw some people who brought ladders from home or manufactured tools similar to mine. That is the challenge of the cache.

There is one like that in my area as well. Some of the logs on caches like these can be quite entertaining.

See the FTF on this one.

I have picked up this hobby recently as well, I have learned that cachers throw fits when you log a find without an official signing...

Yeah but that is what's necessary. There is a cache I can see on top of a huge cement wall that you need climbing gear to get up to it. But that is the point, to get to the cache and write in the log book. There are so many people who just say they "found" it because they can see it and take a picture. But it's not fair for the people who actually get all the gear together, climb up to the cache, and log it. Geocaching is all about the thrill of the hunt as newbies will soon see, and being lazy about a cache is often times seen as "cheating". If we all just took a pic of an unreachable cache and it was in the rules to do so, geocaching would be a dead sport after a while :angry:

There is one like that in my area as well. Some of the logs on caches like these can be quite entertaining.

See the FTF on this one.

hahahaha! it's just so worth it!

We have a local cache that is on top of a street light in a parking lot (place with permission too). It took a cherry picker to get it, but we signed in and replaced it.

The placement is part of the challenge.

I've used my wife's collapsible aluminum hiking pole to drag one down from a high point on a lamp pole, and carried a borrowed folding ladder into the woods to retrieve an ammo can from inside the top of a chimney of a long ago burned out cabin. I figure that if somebody else got it there, I can get it down. Sometimes stealth might be a bit absent on a task like these, but if you look like that's what you are supposed to be doing you'll be fine.

hairball

(and yes, do sign the log, even if you have to be creative on that too)

I recently did a cache that was frozen into the nook of a tree. It was really in there good, and it was shoulder high. The only way to have gotten it out was to dig it out with a knife or multi-tool. Since I could not see clearly enough, and my attempt would have damaged either the tree or the cache, neither of which I was comfortable with, I took a picture.

Rather than log it (I normally log in the field with my smart phone) I emailed the cache owner and asked for his permission to log it. He said it was o.k. In this case the ice was not part of the challenge. Interesting enough, if the ice had been around the tree, instead of in the nook, I would have taken it as a DNF with out any question.

I have picked up this hobby recently as well, I have learned that cachers throw fits when you log a find without an official signing...

Yeah but that is what's necessary. There is a cache I can see on top of a huge cement wall that you need climbing gear to get up to it. But that is the point, to get to the cache and write in the log book. There are so many people who just say they "found" it because they can see it and take a picture. But it's not fair for the people who actually get all the gear together, climb up to the cache, and log it. Geocaching is all about the thrill of the hunt as newbies will soon see, and being lazy about a cache is often times seen as "cheating". If we all just took a pic of an unreachable cache and it was in the rules to do so, geocaching would be a dead sport after a while ^_^

WOW. just getting started GCing; never guessed there'd be so many whiners.

I only wrote a note on one recent find, but couldn't sign.. The cache is way, WAY above my reach (Maybe even some tall basket ball players would have trouble reaching that sucker too!)

What I could've used, is one of those old Top-Shelf pickers like they used to use in grocery stores, where they had items up above reach.. But, in their right mind, who would carry one of those a good mile into the woods?

This cache in question, i could've easily knocked down with my hiking pole, but dilemma then, would be How the blazes do I put it back?

Everyone is saying YES, you're intended to get it. That may OR MAY NOT be true. It's also very possible that some joker put it up there. I had some idiot move one of my cache stages, which was originally at eye level, about 9 feet up.

Email the owner and see if it's really supposed to be there. Also, check to see if it has a 5-star terrain rating. That indicates special equipment is needed (ladder or some sort of reaching device).

As noted, to properly claim a find, you must sign the log.

There will be some caches that you may not be able to get to for various reasons. In my area there are a few that require using a boat (canoe, kayak, etc) to get to. There are even a few that require scuba diving. These should be clearly noted in the info so that you know what is needed, and maybe design NOT to go for them.

Also in my area is a cache WAYYY up in the tree. Part of the rules for this cache is that you must get to the cache itself to properly sign it. No having someone in your group go up and bring the cache down. Personally, I would not attempt to get it without using a ladder (which I know others have done). Unless that cache has been archived (I think it was), it remained a DNF for me.

It's considered bad form to claim a find, but not log it with the cache itself. (if the log is missing/wet, leave atleast a slip of signed paper).

In my home town, there was a cacher who had claimed a lot of finds, but no one saw his signature in any of the caches he claimed to find. Was a minor 'issue', such that when I was going for caches I knew he claimed to have found, I checked. And we aren't talked 1-2, but in the double digits.

Everyone is saying YES, you're intended to get it. That may OR MAY NOT be true. It's also very possible that some joker put it up there. I had some idiot move one of my cache stages, which was originally at eye level, about 9 feet up.

Email the owner and see if it's really supposed to be there. Also, check to see if it has a 5-star terrain rating. That indicates special equipment is needed (ladder or some sort of reaching device).

Excellent points! Glad you thought to bring them up.