Does Anyone Know How To Do Markup On A Geocache Listing?

Team Foxx

I want to echo the subject of this thread. Have just published my first geocache (it's an earthcache, with a good deal of information included), and all I see on the listing is a great, ugly blob of text. I know HTML, and I've tried to directly edit the source (view - source), copy and paste to the source, copy and paste to the displayed text, and GOK what else. Yes, the HTML option box is checked.

Other than directly typing text into the existing text blob, I can make no changes to it. Obviously, just tying in more text just makes the blob bigger.

The FAQ for putting HTML into the write-up merely appears to be a very elementary discussion of some tags -- there doesn't appear to be any discussion of what the mechanism itself is.

There is a pinned topic that has some simple HTML things. And a simple google search brings up hundreds of great sites of info.

Your second question, no anyone can edit their own caches, one does not need to be a Premium Member.

Your unasked question, if you don't know how to edit your cache page, on the top right where you can 'log it' you can also 'edit it'.

There is a pinned topic that has some simple HTML things. And a simple google search brings up hundreds of great sites of info.

Your second question, no anyone can edit their own caches, one does not need to be a Premium Member.

Your unasked question, if you don't know how to edit your cache page, on the top right where you can 'log it' you can also 'edit it'.

I tried that guide but it didn't work! What do I do?

Make sure you check the box that activates HTML. It is in the middle of the cache description page. If that box isn't checked the HTML doesn't work.

It isn't BB code, it is HTML so <a href> <b> <br> etc...

The check box is right above the Short Description.

Edited by wavector

Please see #3 and #6. I've figured it out. The problem for newbies to HTML is that they don't know any coding. The problem for people like me is the opposite, as I know coding but am used to doing it either in a raw text document or a tagwriter like Dreamweaver. The geoCache system is really neither, at least in presentation. What it is in actuality is a text document presented within a non-text format (ie, all the boxes, headings, etc.).

Once I figured that out, it was easy. Just add your tags to the displayed text and save.

Thanks to WKMcCall.

Thank you all for your posts.

Here is a link to a more comprehensive guide to HTML on your cache page, courtesy of Northwest Ohio geocacher, "GizmoGuy."

Oooh, that's a good one, Keystone--easy to read and figure out. I could have used that a time or three on my cache pages.

To all:

If there are pages that belong to other people you admire, it's easy enough to see how they made them look that way.

Rick click> view page source

The info for the entire page will be on the pop-up that appears. You can use the search feature to speed up finding the part you want to copy (just type in a string of words that appear near the thing you want to re-create). It takes a little getting used to, but it has helped me in the past.