My final geocahcing act

RockyRaab

Well, today I went out and picked up an ammo can that had been my Czech's Cache #6. I retrieved and archived it because I wanted the ammo can back. In hindsight, I could have just left it there and adopted it out, as I did with all my others in the Czech's Cache series. Oh, well; too late now.

I'm done with geocaching for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that despite all the work I put into designing and creating really original containers and hides, they kept getting vandalized. Replacing them became useless because once the site was known, the new container wouldn't last long -- learned the hard way.

Placing them turned out to be a whale of a lot more fun than finding them. I got quickly sick of insipid, stupid and half-azzed caches apparently flung out by lazy half-wits. I thought the first lampost skirt cache I found was both clever and uniquely accessible to disabled cachers. Liked it so much I made one and maintained it until the end. It still got appreciative reviews.

But a baggie (torn) thrown into a bush next to McBurger? No, THAT is lame beyond my toleration. So are caches whose original nice swag had been replaced with bottle caps, dirty stuffed animals and broken give-away toys. Ditto caches made from cardboard snack cans and hidden in snowbanks. I found more than one of those, to my disgust. I found a candy tin submerged in the green dreck inside a junked car tire - in a dump. THAT's somebody's idea of a fun search or an interesting location?

Sorry, folks. What was a fun and intriguing game four years ago is now the polar opposite - at least for me.

There's no need to berate or chastise me for these comments; I won't be checking back here to read any of it. But I needed to say it.

In closing would like to thank and congratulate those cachers who DID take the time to create, place and maintain the few good caches I found. You provided the smiles, the appreciative head nods and the inspiration for the hides I made. Good on ya. To the cacher who adopted my entire series, I apologize for not including CC#6. I probably should have just bought a new ammo can.

Edited by RockyRaab

That's probably the worst geocide I've ever read. No vitriol, no cursing, no flaming, and I actually finished the post feeling sorry for him and wishing he'd stick around. No fun at all.

Looks like yet another creative hider was finally beaten down by the cache maggots and number hounds.

Well, today I went out and picked up an ammo can that had been my Czech's Cache #6. I retrieved and archived it because I wanted the ammo can back. In hindsight, I could have just left it there and adopted it out, as I did with all my others in the Czech's Cache series. Oh, well; too late now.

I'm done with geocaching for several reasons, not the least of which is the fact that despite all the work I put into designing and creating really original containers and hides, they kept getting vandalized. Replacing them became useless because once the site was known, the new container wouldn't last long -- learned the hard way.

Placing them turned out to be a whale of a lot more fun than finding them. I got quickly sick of insipid, stupid and half-azzed caches apparently flung out by lazy half-wits. I thought the first lampost skirt cache I found was both clever and uniquely accessible to disabled cachers. Liked it so much I made one and maintained it until the end. It still got appreciative reviews.

But a baggie (torn) thrown into a bush next to McBurger? No, THAT is lame beyond my toleration. So are caches whose original nice swag had been replaced with bottle caps, dirty stuffed animals and broken give-away toys. Ditto caches made from cardboard snack cans and hidden in snowbanks. I found more than one of those, to my disgust. I found a candy tin submerged in the green dreck inside a junked car tire - in a dump. THAT's somebody's idea of a fun search or an interesting location?

Sorry, folks. What was a fun and intriguing game four years ago is now the polar opposite - at least for me.

There's no need to berate or chastise me for these comments; I won't be checking back here to read any of it. But I needed to say it.

In closing would like to thank and congratulate those cachers who DID take the time to create, place and maintain the few good caches I found. You provided the smiles, the appreciative head nods and the inspiration for the hides I made. Good on ya. To the cacher who adopted my entire series, I apologize for not including CC#6. I probably should have just bought a new ammo can.

First, sorry to see you go, and I wish you the best with whatever you do in life. Sorry to hear that your geo eperience was so nasty.

Next, the timing of your announcement is interesting, for I just heard (via a private Web 2.0 pathway) from a Philadelphia geocacher who has also just left the sport for exactly the same reasons as those which you cite. I wonder if this is perhaps some kind of new trend?

I hope you have a change of heart down the road and your interest in the sport returns. Sometimes we feel that way when we are brought down. Not all of us here are here to bash your thread. :angry:

Actually, I do too; looks like he hid interesting caches.

But publicly posting a lament in the geocaching forums about how the game has devolved under a title similar to "My final geocahching act", then vowing never to return, is called "geocide" and is an open invitation to ridicule. It's in the fine print.

If you want to quit the game, just quit. Maybe come back in a few years and give it another shot, or not. Shouting the announcement to the world that you're quitting is just grandstanding; something akin to giving a long speech at the playground about how you were wronged just before taking your ball and sulking home.

[Edit: Grammar]

Edited by J-Way

Can geocaching.com do anything about the trend? Like, add 'common curtesy' info to their "How to place a cache" instructions? Well, maybe that wouldn't work either. I've read on other forums where people actually don't mind picking up what looks like a piece of garbage in hopes that it's the cache. I'm new to this and do appreciate the more creative caches, but I don't want to pick up possible gargage. Unless I have gloves and I'm throwing it away! I'm sorry this person has left, too. Looks like they've been doing it a long time and if I lived in Utah, I would certainly appreciate his/her caches!!

First of all RockyRaab, thank you for your service to your country, both in the military as well as your time with NASA. I under stand your anger over your caches being vandalized and it would be disheartening when you put so much time into painstakingly creating them and then to have mindless half-wits destroy them in the name of "Fun".

It is sad to think that is what we are coming to as a nation. A nation that you so nobly fought for. Were people find pleasure in causing other people pain.

I hope after some time away you might heal and one day return to the hobby/sport that once brought you joy

I got out caching for a while right aftwer GWVI. Between getting tired of all the crapy cache hides, micro in places that people could hide a 747 in and going back to school after about 40 years I just lost interest in caching. I decided just to go to event caches and that is just about all I did for six months.

But having a 6 week semester geocaching has been a good source of relaxation while I wait for the spring semester to start.

It's a shame he didn't stay around long enough to learn it isn't spelled "geocahcing."

Takeaway: Proofread your geocide note. It is the legacy by which you'll be known for all thyme.

I give it a "3."

Any other tips? I'm not planning to go anytime soon but would like to make a good showing of it if the need arises. Please, no form letter. Has anyone actually used that thing?

Has anyone actually used that thing?

No, it's basically a 'don't let the door hit'cha where the dog shoulda bit'cha" kinda thing.

I learned some time ago that is better to take some time and get past the pain and then stick around to annoy the carp out of people. I find it more satisfying than a geocide. :angry:

Edited by BlueDeuce

Has anyone actually used that thing?

No, it's basically a 'don't let the door hit'cha where the dog shoulda bit'cha" kinda thing.

I learned some time ago that is better to take some time and get past the pain and then stick around to annoy the carp out of people. I find to more satisfying than a geocide. :angry:

Did I forget to turn on the sarcasm tags AGAIN!

As Queen used to sing "Another one bites the dust." I know many people who have quit for the same reasons. It's also a tough sell when you bring new people along and run into super lame caches. I never know what to say other than "it's really not like that," while I'm thinking that it really is like that. Hopefully, they come up with better ways to help us parse caches, otherwise many more people will leave. I still have a pretty good list of caches that I'm fairly confident should be fun to find, so I'm still in the game.

Edited by TrailGators

No, I quite agree with the OP in the sense of his concerns. I don't agree with the final approach, but I can certainly understand how he got there, for him.

The sarcasm stems from the fact that people are not willing to accept another's viewpoint, right or wrong.

I found a candy tin submerged in the green dreck inside a junked car tire - in a dump.

My first thought was - Wow, you sure went looking far more thoroughly than I ever would.

I'm not sure what "forces" cause people to stick around and look for crappy caches. If you pull up to an area and don't like it, move on. If people used the tools available on GC.com (satellite map that shows the cache is in a parking lot, filtering on size/type), they could eliminate most of the cache types they don't like and save themselves the aggravation of searching for them.

As far as getting frustrated, I can understand that. Taking some time off and doing something else for awhile can really make you appreciate caching when you return.

Edit: Typo

Edited by Skippermark

I still cache, but I no longer put out my own.

I have also moved about 50 miles from where

my caches are, which I adopted out.

I like the line about hiding a micro where one

could hide a 747. I have seen such sites.

Gas prices ran up by speculators was another

problem until recently. I hope someone goes

to jail for it.

Edited by K0BKL

No, I quite agree with the OP in the sense of his concerns. I don't agree with the final approach, but I can certainly understand how he got there, for him.

The sarcasm stems from the fact that people are not willing to accept another's viewpoint, right or wrong.

I feel for the guy, I guess. Although he's not an old schooler by any means, a quick look at the nearby caches to any of his hides show cache placements in his area being dominated by a handful of newbs, who've all amassed over 1,000 finds in less than 2 years.

Still, that was horrible, I give it a 3.5 at best. :angry:

You forgot to fill out the geocide form.

According to this definition, a form is not an absolute requirement. Perhaps that is why geocides are often temporary. If we can develop a standard geocide application procedure, complete with a binding regulation to back it up, maybe we can ensure a more permanent removal process. TPTB should appoint a committee...

"Sometimes the geocidal cacher will even delete all of his or her finds."

That's humor, right? Satire? Science fiction? :angry:

I'm not sure what "forces" cause people to stick around and look for crappy caches. If you pull up to an area and don't like it, move on. If people used the tools available on GC.com (satellite map that shows the cache is in a parking lot, filtering on size/type), they could eliminate most of the cache types they don't like and save themselves the aggravation of searching for them.
I think it was like straws on the camels back. He was just recalling some of the straws he found. I don't think people realize or expect that they are going to keep running into caches that bad. It's a form of denial. You no longer deny it and that's why you do homework. I also have scaled way back and read everything now.

I feel for the guy, I guess. Although he's not an old schooler by any means, a quick look at the nearby caches to any of his hides show cache placements in his area being dominated by a handful of newbs, who've all amassed over 1,000 finds in less than 2 years.

Still, that was horrible, I give it a 3.5 at best. :angry:

I found this thread interesting but wasn't going to comment but then you classified us as "a handful of newbs, who've all amassed over 1,000 finds in less than 2 years."...thems ther fighten werds!! (no offense taken...it just means we're better cachers than you......Just Kidding!)

Here's our first hide: Best of both worlds An LPC that I wasn't too thrilled about but it has sentimental value to my 9 yr old daughter and wife.

Here's our second hide: Double Split Still nothing great

Ah, but then came our Redneck MENSA series that we put a lot of work into: Redneck MENSA: Can't Fix Stupid

The last cache we hid is part of New Jersey's Puzzle Master's Challenge: PMC: Uncle Buck's Cards

Which is quite difficult in and of itself and as part of the PMC series.

Whats my point? None of us came into geocaching as experts. We all have learned as we have found and hidden caches. As the hobby grows, you're bound to have a ton of "newbs" excited about hiding their own caches. At this stage of the hobby, the issue will grow exponentially. As they/we get more experience, our own definition of what is a good cache and the thrill of finding them changes.

Younger/newer cachers are eager to hide good caches, just as we were but its all based on their experience and interaction with other cachers as to what a good cache is. That is where active and local geocaching organizations come into play, where this interaction can occur, but that's a completely different tangent conversation.

I understand the viewpoint of the OP's comments but it kind of reads like the grumpy old expert having to deal with the "newbs". I'll leave it at that without ranting anymore.

v/r

-galaP-

Still, that was horrible, I give it a 3.5 at best. :D

I found this thread interesting but wasn't going to comment but then you classified us as "a handful of newbs, who've all amassed over 1,000 finds in less than 2 years."...thems ther fighten werds!! (no offense taken...it just means we're better cachers than you......Just Kidding!)

I wasn't aware New Jersey was near Ogden, Utah. :angry: So no, I didn't see any of your hides when I was looking at the ones there.

I understand the viewpoint of the OP's comments but it kind of reads like the grumpy old expert having to deal with the "newbs". I'll leave it at that without ranting anymore.

v/r

-galaP-

Yeah, I can see you feeling that way. But he had many other rants, such as his caches getting muggled all the time, and the trading down of trade items in regulars. So what I'm saying is, don't take his OP, or my post as any kind of negativity towards all newbie hiders everywhere.

I think this is a good trend for geocaching.

There are getting to be too many cachers.

We need to weed out a few.

This is a good start.

I would like to see more posts like this one from RockyRaab.

Keep 'em coming, people!

Edited by GrnXnham

I would of put sugar and spice, at least something nice. :D Give the guy some slack. He came to a forum to say how he felt so to give others something to cut to pieces to make them feel better about themselves.

Oh c'mon. Geocides are great fun. This isn't a good one though. RockyRaab, I knew Tommy Trojan. Tommy Trojan was a friend of mine. RockyRaab, you're no Tommy Trojan. :angry:

I would of put sugar and spice, at least something nice. :D Give the guy some slack. He came to a forum to say how he felt so to give others something to cut to pieces to make them feel better about themselves.

Oh c'mon. Geocides are great fun. This isn't a good one though. RockyRaab, I knew Tommy Trojan. Tommy Trojan was a friend of mine. RockyRaab, you're no Tommy Trojan. :angry:

With a name like that he had to have alot of fun. :D

I'm a little late to the geocide rating, but I'll still put in my two cents worth.

You did a good job of blaming other people for your lack of fun, both in hiding too many caches you don't want to filter out, and with muggling the caches you failed to hide well enough. But you didn't really give us enough anger and shouting.

I also give it a 3.

I congratulate the OP on learning the fundamental rule of geocaching: "If you aren't having fun, stop".

Had he learned to apply it sooner he could have followed Skippermark's advice:

I would of put sugar and spice, at least something nice. :) Give the guy some slack. He came to a forum to say how he felt so to give others something to cut to pieces to make them feel better about themselves.

With a name like that he had to have alot of fun. :D

It's the mascot for USC. I never understood why USC wanted to have that as their mascot... :D:D

I would of put sugar and spice, at least something nice. :angry: Give the guy some slack. He came to a forum to say how he felt so to give others something to cut to pieces to make them feel better about themselves.

No, he posted in this forum so that HE could feel superior. Too bad for him.

Geocide! As a newb, learn something new. As a newb who was always been tethered to the Atari, Commodore, Nintendo, Sega, PS1, PS3, Wii, and X-box, or just the TV I can understand the frustration.

My journey into caching started this past Summer. I used to live in CO. Used to love camping, mountain climbing, and skiiing. For a while I resided in HI. I surfed, and beached, but my favorite past time was to snorkel. Seeking out the treasures lost, or some really cool shells ( I called Ocean Gems, now more like Geoshells) , of course I had to head off to college, and so off to the East coast I went.

After college , well then I grew up and technology took over, or was it the couch? There were no more hikes, snorkel trips, or camping. Not unless it was via a screen.

Any rate one day sprawled out on my favorite couch, and just settling back into the swing of daily life, after just coming back from a trip in CA, and an awesome road trip up the coast, through Napa Valley and onto Yosimite with my Dad (Our 1st trip long story) , ahh life is great, so whats on the TV, a tech byte show, sounds cool, see what other technological gadget I can acquire.

There is a segment on treasure hunting, turns out to be Geocaching of course. well after being at Yosimite, the great outdoors was calling, besides now there is something to seek out, sort of like snorkeling, just a bit more effort needed. Since then I have not used a PS1. It was so cool to find these caches, especially ones so close to my house, and this has been going on for how long? Amazing, sounds like fun.

1st 100, so cool, yeah some were not all that great, wish swag was a bit more creative, or intriguing, but oh well, still lovin it.

I have 233 finds now and yep lately it does seem like you seek out a treasure box, with a pile of trash hidden inside.

Yes , I believe there can be a better search or PQ filter set, IE:

1. A date search of last found. (Rather than last 7 days, have it where you set the date)

2. Broaden cache categories.

IE Night Cache only (NCO), P&G Cache, Urban, Non-Urban, 24/7, and Traditional cache would mean a daytime only cache.

I have 39 hides. Most of them have all been from CITO containers, from being a Chef, or on the trail I have several of these containers. From spice jugs, ketchup, and 5 gallon buckets.

I love to hide the caches. I know some are not "Great" while some are. Some are quick P&G's, some were placed just for a night time or commuter caching expedition.

For me the key is to keep them MAINTAINED! I make every effort to visit my hides, usually about twice a month I go out and check on them. I rotate the list, and if it has been visited and no problems reported i clear it till next months maint run, rather a simple process.

Also when ever I swap swag, I TRADE UP! Usually I drop my Handcrafted Yawppy coin, and some nice swag pieces. Usually I may take a trinket, but for one trinket, leave a couple trinkets. Because yes I love to hike, but to treasure hunt , makes it all the more fun and now I have a mission. If however folks just stop caring on the swapping aspect, and start treating a cache like a "trache" can, well then eventually something has to give.

Yep LPC's get boring, GRC's also. I am in the stage where I have learned how to place a creative cache, which we all love to seek. Or have I, I really find it hard to please all 700G+ cachers. Everyone likes something differently in this game. Much like cooking, be creative, and learn quickly.

A geocide, well if that is what you want, cool, sad ta see ya go. sounds like as a caching community we need to teach, and learn, but just quit, hmm guess it is the easy way. By losing the elders, the game is up for grabs, because eventually if I want to seek out a "Trache Cache", I will just waymark on the GPS'r and hit the nearest 500 dumpsters with-in the 500 mile radius of where I stand .

I found a candy tin submerged in the green dreck inside a junked car tire - in a dump.

My first thought was - Wow, you sure went looking far more thoroughly than I ever would.

As far as getting frustrated, I can understand that. Taking some time off and doing something else for awhile can really make you appreciate caching when you return.

Exactly. I have about 50 fewer finds than the original poster. I have avoided quite a few caches because they weren't of interest to me. I look at the cache page and previous logs before I even leave my house. Same thing for google earth. If the logs or location indicate the cache is in a trashy area, I don't bother.

Why would it be too late? Has someone already claimed the spot? You can always un-archive it, y' know.

You couldn't just find a new hiding spot?

placing them turned out to be a whale of a lot more fun than finding them. I got quickly sick of insipid, stupid and half-azzed caches apparently flung out by lazy half-wits.

Sorry about that...though I don't appreciate being called a half-wit.

But a baggie (torn) thrown into a bush next to McBurger? No, THAT is lame beyond my toleration.

Are you sure that was a cache?

So are caches whose original nice swag had been replaced with bottle caps, dirty stuffed animals and broken give-away toys.

People are selfish ol' dogs, eh? No geocide will save you from that. You've still gotta' share the world with people like that. They're everywhere, man.

So...your words are more important than ours? You like the privilege of speaking your mind, but you're afraid we'll speak ours? What if you change your mind and come back? Will there be a "Hey guys, I'm back!" thread? I can understand the frustration; don't get me wrong, but I, personally, would never expect anyone to give a hoot that I was leaving.

Oh c'mon. Geocides are great fun. This isn't a good one though. RockyRaab, I knew Tommy Trojan. Tommy Trojan was a friend of mine. RockyRaab, you're no Tommy Trojan. :)

With a name like that he had to have alot of fun. :)

Rumor has it, he faked his own Geocide, and changed his username to Danny Durex. :huh:

I'm a little late to the geocide rating, but I'll still put in my two cents worth.

You did a good job of blaming other people for .... muggling the caches you failed to hide well enough.

Looks like you did a good job of assuming something you cannot know to be true. My experience with the many caches I have placed is that cachers often show little regard for re-hiding the container the way it was placed. This often leads to theft or destruction.

The same can be said for caches originally stocked nicely with decent stash that deteriorate into trash containers because many cachers routinely trade down.

How many people do you think have quietly retired when fed up with this?

Maybe that is why there is terracaching? Not the nice bells and whistles that come with GC.com, but a clear emphasis on quality.

You did a good job of blaming other people for .... muggling the caches you failed to hide well enough.

Looks like you did a good job of assuming something you cannot know to be true. My experience with the many caches I have placed is that cachers often show little regard for re-hiding the container the way it was placed. This often leads to theft or destruction.

The same can be said for caches originally stocked nicely with decent stash that deteriorate into trash containers because many cachers routinely trade down.

How many people do you think have quietly retired when fed up with this?

Maybe that is why there is terracaching? Not the nice bells and whistles that come with GC.com, but a clear emphasis on quality.

I find most of the responses in this thread to be quite distasteful. When you stop having fun, you find a new hobby, as OP has done. I thought it very nice of OP to leave this message explaining why s/he was leaving. The innudendos and sarcasm that has followed has done nothing to endear me to any of the posters. Other sites are much friendlier!

Example: I spent twelve years (or so) section hiking the AT. I did just over half of it. But when I hit Mount Madison, NH, I stopped having fun, and stopped. I noted this in my trail journal. The responses I received were sympathetic, and friendly. Unlike the fora here, where sarcasm and invective seem the rule. Oh, well.

Have fun, OP, in whatever you choose to do, and thanks for the note. I, for one, appreciated it.