[new] MapSource 6.15.3 January 15

jotne

Eaparks, I'm not sure I understand the question. The symbols that previously worked had a magenta background which was not visible in 6.13 and prior versions. In 6.15 the backgrounds of the same symbols display as magenta.

All I was asking, have you verified the properties of your custom waypoint symbol file by going to the file in c/Garmin or wherever it is located, highlight the file, For XP (Vista may be different): File > Properties > Summary > Advanced and you will see the .bmp properties in column format. "Width 16 pixels"; "Height 16 pixels"; "Horizontal Resolution 96 dpi"; "Vertical Resolution 96 dpi"; "Bit Depth 8"; "Frame Count 1". If either the Horizontal or Vertical Resolution dpi or the Bit Depth has gotten changed it may be causing the proplem. Not sure but 24 Bit depth may work, I just always stick with Bit Depth of 8 (256 colors) and never run into problems.

I'm using the same symbols that work today in 6.13. I haven't changed them at all. Even if I had, why would they work in 6.13 but not 6.15? 6.15 is different, but I don't know what exactly has changed.

Could possibly be a problem with 6.15 not recognizing the same Bit Depth as 6.13. I'd be curious to know what the file properties are?

Resolution is a "made up" number. It is not settable. It depends on pixel size of the screen.

I use ArcSoft Photo Studio 2000 to change my Horizontal and Vertical Resolutions dpi. Some other digital camera software programs will allow you to edit the file parameters very easily by just opening the file and editing the properties. Just a 2 step process and resave the file.

I usually run into the magenta background not being transparent with custom POI symbols. Sometimes the dpi settings default to 200 and the magenta background will not be transparent. Simple fix to go in and change the dpi settings to 199 and then magenta background works properly. It's worth a try to see if 6.15 is creating the same problem when the .dpi is not 96.

I'll be glad to quickly change your 71 dpi to 96 if you want to email me a file for experimentation purposes.

Edited by eaparks
Why don't you install 6.15 and try it yourself???

I'm still using Topo v3 (no DEM data) and a 60CSx, since I can't use the DEM data on my GPS and my Topo v3 doesn't have it either. I don't know of any advantages for me to change from 6.13.7. Is there anything I would gain by switching that I'm not aware of?

edit: so much for the 96 dpi being the problem then.

Edited by eaparks

The newest version is still garbage: Distorted maps, non-transparent custom icons, and has anyone every tried selecting a lot of waypoints?

Over on the right hand side, select a waypoint, then do Ctrl-A (for ALL). In 6.13 I do this with almost 3,000 waypoints, and they select instantly. In 6.14 or 6.15, the program grinds to a halt. I tried it with 300 waypoints, and you wait about 15 seconds for them to select.

The newest version is still garbage: Distorted maps, non-transparent custom icons, and has anyone every tried selecting a lot of waypoints?

Over on the right hand side, select a waypoint, then do Ctrl-A (for ALL). In 6.13 I do this with almost 3,000 waypoints, and they select instantly. In 6.14 or 6.15, the program grinds to a halt. I tried it with 300 waypoints, and you wait about 15 seconds for them to select.

Works fine here. a side note though, the maps redraw rate was very slow when I first tried using the newer version. After trying it now it seems much much better.

Is anyone else having trouble with the icon size? Tis version was suppose to be able to change the size. the only thing that changed was my icon went large and won't change. When I contacted Garmin they said that this had been reported already and a new version was coming soon. I tried the new version yesterday and no difference with the icons. Does any one have any suggestion? I guess I will have to go back to one of teh older version

Yes, I've seen the same problem when selecting multiple waypoints on the left hand side. I select 500 or so and it takes a good 10 seconds.

I tried selecting 500 waypoints with ctrl A. It took 4 seconds. But I have a fast computer with a quad core processer. I watched the processor moniter and one of the cores went up to 75% (which is extremely rare normally) when it was selecting. I also watched after 500 were selected and I clicked on one so only one was selected, it took about 2 seconds to only have it selected and one core shot up to 70%. Sounds like selecting waypoints is done some weird way.

New test. I used 6.13 and opened 4500 way points. CTRL A selected them all instantly.

I opened them in the newest Mapsource version. It took about 7 minutes! Durning this process one processor core was operating at about 95% the entire time. It was also interesting because none of the other 3 cores appeared to be helping out on the task of selectting them all.

Garmin needs to fix this!

New test. I used 6.13 and opened 4500 way points. CTRL A selected them all instantly.

I opened them in the newest Mapsource version. It took about 7 minutes! Durning this process one processor core was operating at about 95% the entire time. It was also interesting because none of the other 3 cores appeared to be helping out on the task of selectting them all.

Garmin needs to fix this!

Exactly. It would be hard to create code this sloppy even if that was the task: World's sloppiest code.

On the multiple cores (I have a Quad, too), they don't necessarily have to create a program that uses multiple cores, but one should be fine (as we see in 6.13).

Works fine here. a side note though, the maps redraw rate was very slow when I first tried using the newer version. After trying it now it seems much much better.

How long does it take to select, say, 1,000 waypoints?

If you create a waypoint, then put a 10km proximity on it, is the red circle around the waypoint perfectly round?

The transparent color has always been Fuchsia (#FF00FF) in the past. I doubt they would change it.

6.15.3, #ff00ff:

mappy.jpg

I have not seen anymore posts on the issue of the pink around custom symbols in Mapsource. Maybe everybody has figured it out by now.

I was playing around and see that Mapsource can use .gif format. Size can be 16 x 16 or 24 x 24.

This is the way it looks.

mapsource.jpg