[new] MapSource 6.15.3 January 15

jotne

I'm confused. I don't understand what difference it makes how you created the icons. (I don't use GSAK) I also don't understand what you mean by transferring the icons to MApsource. You don't transfer them. You create them and place them in a folder that Mapsource recognizes.

What am I missing?

For people runing Vista x64, Mapsource ultimately loads custom icons (001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc.) from c:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory instead of "c:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols" or c:\garmin. I would really like to know who ih Garmin development team wrote that algorithm for searching custom icons.

I would really like to know who ih Garmin development team wrote that algorithm for searching custom icons.

What I want to now is if anyone actually does even the most simple test on the software before releasing it.

Garmin really better wake up. Their software quality has become horrid and their old reputation will not hold them up forever.

"For people runing Vista x64, Mapsource ultimately loads custom icons (001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc.) from c:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory instead of "c:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols" or c:\garmin."

I'm running Vista 64. Once I copied my custom icons into C:\Garmin they worked in Mapsource 6.15. I checked the c:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory mentioned and I don't see any custom icons files.

I'm running Vista 64. Once I copied my custom icons into C:\Garmin they worked in Mapsource 6.15. I checked the c:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory mentioned and I don't see any custom icons files.

Not for me. I had them in c:\garmin and they did not show up in Mapsource. Then I fired up procmon and its file system monitor showed that icon bitmaps are looked for in c:\windows\SysWOW64. Once I copied them there Mapsource found them. In fact, procmon is not showing C:\garmin in any search attempt. How weird is that?

Does anyone know where this bug is coming from? Since this last release when I save a route after altering it, in a GPX format, I get it as well on the GPS as on mapsource like on this picture!

And please do not call it a minor bug, for I can not go for this route

214uiwl.jpg

I have problem unlocking my map. At current I'm using custom map from Malsingmaps.com and their map was lock. I have the unlock code for that mapset but it seems I can't find anywhere in the new mapsource features to unlock map locally (not on-line).

Anybody have any idea how to unlock it?

My main compliant with Mapsource 6.15 is that it will not use small treasure chest icons to show my caches. This was also the reason I reverted from 6.14 back to 6.13. I noticed that one of the supposed fixes in 6.15 was the correction of this problem. When I installed 6.15, I found out that other icons displayed on the map could be reduced from large to small icons, but the treasure chest ones would not. Also, I too found out that 6.15 would not accept my custom icons (I use a rat face to indicate my hides).

I then tried reloading my 2008 Topo program and found out that the version I have will not properly export waypoints to Google Earth... Arggggh!!! I finally found a torrent site where I could down load just the Mapsource.exe 6.13.7 version file. I dropped the 6.13.7 file into my exiting Mapsource folder, replacing the 6.13.3 program file and now all works well. I think I'll just stick with this version.

I have problem unlocking my map. At current I'm using custom map from Malsingmaps.com and their map was lock. I have the unlock code for that mapset but it seems I can't find anywhere in the new mapsource features to unlock map locally (not on-line).

In Mapsource, click the UTILITIES menu, click UNLOCK MAPS, click YES, I HAVE A 25-character UNLOCK CODE.

You can enter the unlock code and Mapsource unlock wizard will unlock the maps.

...ken...

In Mapsource, click the UTILITIES menu, click UNLOCK MAPS, click YES, I HAVE A 25-character UNLOCK CODE.

...ken...

Perhaps that instruction you given above was for the older version of Mapsource. But for newer version of Mapsource the menu already changed.

MapsourceUnlock.jpg

Having never seen this software I would guess it's that Ctrl+U listed as the first menu item. That's what it is on the old version I have used, (I guess they have it as Control+U for "Unlock")

...ken...

Perhaps that instruction you given above was for the older version of Mapsource. But for newer version of Mapsource the menu already changed.

MapsourceUnlock.jpg

Edited by coggins

Has anyone found a way to display one Category of Waypoints instead of them all on the map on the PC?

What method worked in previous versions does not work now!

I cannot change the size of the icons either!

As a result the map is cluttered with every waypoint icon, instead of the selected category.

Edited by strumble

I'm not seeing any change in 6.15 in the ability to display waypoints of a certain category only. On the left side click "Waypoints". At the top of the list is a "Show waypoints in category" dropdown dialog box. Select the category you want, and only waypoints in that category will display.

What am I missing?

One of us is confused; it may be me. The Waypoint Categories are user defined under "Preferences". If you assign a waypoint to one of your user-defined categories, you can then click on that category in the dropdown list of "Show waypoints in category". When you do, only the waypoints you assigned to those particular categories will show. If you select "no categories" you will see a list of ALL waypoints that you have not assigned to a specific waypoint category. If you have not assigned waypoints to specific categories, it works the same as "All Categories".

Check Waypoint Categories in Preferences and see if they're still there. That might be the issue.

Mapsource v6.15.3

#1 -Showing My Swiss Waypoints

#2 -Selected to show my Irish Waypoints then the Swiss remain on map!

ms1aresizeam4.jpg

ms2aresizeyi5.jpg

Mapsource v6.13.7

#1 -Showing My Swiss Waypoints

#2 -Selected to show my Irish Waypoints then the Swiss are removed from the map!

ms3aresizeko6.jpg

ms4aresizelz1.jpg

Mapsource v6.13.7 I can select small or large Icons

Mapsource v6.15.3 I cannot change the size of the icons but the option is there Small/Normal/Large

Does anybody here have the answer for this?

I think Coggins may have given you the correct answer above. If I do as he stated(press Ctrl+U in mapsource)it brings up the unlock map screen.

Having never seen this software I would guess it's that Ctrl+U listed as the first menu item. That's what it is on the old version I have used, (I guess they have it as Control+U for "Unlock")

I think Coggins may have given you the correct answer above. If I do as he stated(press Ctrl+U in mapsource)it brings up the unlock map screen.

Nevermind, already found the answer in the other forum... Put it as reference here...

Maingray wrote: "My custom icons that have worked for ages are not working when placed in C:\garmin from ... My Documents\My Garmin ...argh"

Odd. The custom icons did not work for me until I moved them into the c:\Garmin directory, and then they did.

Are the "xxx.bmp" files? That's what I have: 001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc. Once I moved my files here, they worked in 6.15.

I moved my custom icons to c:\garmin and they still did not work for me in 6.15.3. As a matter of fact they quit working in 6.13.7 until I moved them back to the MyDocuments\My Garmin directory.

They have to be now (since 6.15.3) in the same folder than the MapSource installation - in my case c:\programme\garmin. Only there they are working on my computer!

They also changed the transparency color, its not pink anymore. So I transfered my bmp's now in prn's and set the background to transparent...

I saw that Mapsource 15.3 had fixed one of my pet peeves with 14.1 - I could now resize the waypoint symbols. So I Dl'ed and installed it. Yikes! Now custom waypoint symbols don't work. Did some googling and found this tread. I wish I would have read it earlier!!

So, now I want to go back to a previous version - 14.1 at least - but I don't have the installs will me and of course they aren't apparent at garmin.com either. So I did some more snooping and found where you can DL the previous versions from garmin.com. (It's important to me to get them from garmin.com, not somewhere else.) Here's a couple of links to get some previous versions of Mapsource from Garmin.com. (standard disclaimer - of course these links could change at any time)

Mapsource 6.13.7

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

Mapsource 6.14.1

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6141.exe

I think I'm going to go back to 13.7 where I get the smaller icons and faster response times.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's helped me get back to where I wanted to be.

Sokratz

Edited by Sokratz

I saw that Mapsource 15.3 had fixed one of my pet peeves with 14.1 - I could now resize the waypoint symbols. So I Dl'ed and installed it. Yikes! Now custom waypoint symbols don't work. Did some googling and found this tread. I wish I would have read it earlier!!

So, now I want to go back to a previous version - 14.1 at least - but I don't have the installs will me and of course they aren't apparent at garmin.com either. So I did some more snooping and found where you can DL the previous versions from garmin.com. (It's important to me to get them from garmin.com, not somewhere else.) Here's a couple of links to get some previous versions of Mapsource from Garmin.com. (standard disclaimer - of course these links could change at any time)

Mapsource 6.13.7

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6137.exe

Mapsource 6.14.1

http://www8.garmin.com/software/MapSource_6141.exe

I think I'm going to go back to 13.7 where I get the smaller icons and faster response times.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread. It's help me get back to where I wanted to be.

Sokatz

For people runing Vista x64, Mapsource ultimately loads custom icons (001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc.) from c:\Windows\SysWOW64 directory instead of "c:\Users\<user>\Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols" or c:\garmin. I would really like to know who ih Garmin development team wrote that algorithm for searching custom icons.

Doesn't work for me. I tried putting the "My Garmin" folder in there, then the "Custom Waypoint Symbols" folder, then I put the files themselves directly in that folder, and nothing.

MapSource was working great, no problems at all. Then I got a message to Update after installing CityNavigator.

The new MapSource is Version 6.15.3 and it is causing problems.

When I use either the right side or bottom scroll bar to move to a different location, the maps blank out and turn gray without any detail. The lower right side corner gives a message "overzoom". This seems to happen no matter what the initial zoom. When I use the Hand Tool to move, it does not seem to create the same problem.

Is anyone else having this "overzoom" problem and have you found a fix you'd be willing to share?

Also, if I go back to my previous version of MapSource, will I loose the unlock codes for CityNavigator?

I finally got my custom waypoints to work with 6.15.3, the answer was on another forum.

The custom waypoint symbols (001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc.) have been placed in the directory "My Documents\My Garmin\Custom Waypoint Symbols". You have to COPY them and place them in the directory where MapSource.exe is installed, on my computer its "C:\Garmin". Coping the folder they are in (Custom Waypoint Symbols) will not work, you have to copy each individual symbol to "C:\Garmin".

Now my custom waypoint symbols show up in both 6.15.3 and 6.13.7. But in 6.15.3 the transparent areas show up pink. The way to fix this problem is to "Edit" each individual custom waypoint in "C:\Garmin" only.

I used Paint, the default editor on my computer.

Zoom in on them so you can see whats going on.

I used to Eraser tool to remove the pink areas.

Then Save, everything should be perfect in 6.15.3 now.

"The way to fix this problem is to "Edit" each individual custom waypoint in "C:\Garmin" only.

I used to Eraser tool to remove the pink areas."

My results are not identical. I see white in 6.15 after erasing, whereas the "pink" is transparent in 6.13.

What is the transparent color for 6.15?

"The way to fix this problem is to "Edit" each individual custom waypoint in "C:\Garmin" only.

My results are not identical. I see white in 6.15 after erasing, whereas the "pink" is transparent in 6.13.

Your right. The custom waypoints I first checked were in a area where they appeared transparent because of the same background colour. I guess its back to the drawing board.

Your right. The custom waypoints I first checked were in a area where they appeared transparent because of the same background colour. I guess its back to the drawing board.

I don't think this is a problem just associated with 6.15. I ran into the same problem several months ago on some icons I had copied, modified, and made into custom waypoint symbols. I was using 6.13.7; I have never downloaded 6.15. When I would delete a foreground color around the icon their would be a background color I couldn't change. I finally ended up just using the non-transparent custom waypoint and creating a new file / custom waypoint symbol from scatch using the non working one to go by and then all worked properly.

The transparent color has always been Fuchsia (#FF00FF) in the past. I doubt they would change it.

New version posted yesterday. Version 6.15.4

Change History

Changes made from version 6.15.3 to 6.15.4:

Fixed an issue using custom waypoint symbols installed in the current user directory.

Fixed an issue displaying the vertical profile for certain maps.

Fixed route issues for routes containing a waypoint more than once.

Fixed transfer from and to Garmin Mobile PC devices.

Fixed an issue with opening gdb files containing routes with identical names.

Fixed an issue where the 'anchor' waypoint symbol was displayed incorrectly.

Fixed an issue with map scrolling.

Fixed an issue with route travel time calculations.

Fixed an issue with performing address searches.

Fixed an issue displaying map labels in print preview.

This may be a dumb question, but I haven't seen where the properties of the .bmp file for the custom waypoint symbol has been stated in the thread; I have had situations where the resolution (.dpi) would change by just one number, especially with POIs from 199 to 200 when I open, edit and resave a custom symbol from 1 graphics program to another and the fuchsia background will no longer be transparent. So my question is, have you checked the dpi resolution in the properties to verify it is still 96?

Edited by eaparks