[new] MapSource 6.15.3 January 15

jotne

Changes made from version 6.14.1 to 6.15.3:

Fixed an issue where blank map tiles are left on the screen.

Fixed an issue with redrawing the map after a detail level change.

Enhanced the drawing of roads to better distinguish primary from secondary roads.

Added the ability to adjust symbol size of icons.

Fixed the display of spot soundings in Marine maps.

Fixed an issue with areas getting highlighted inadvertently.

Fixed 'Move Waypoint', 'Insert Route Section', and 'Extend Route' capabilities from right-click context menus.

Fixed an issue with water regions getting clipped.

Limited 'Nearest Features' to only displayed maps.

Fixed overlapping copyright information for certain maps.

Fixed the display of certain Marine icons in the 'Find Nearest Places' dialog.

Fixed an issue with improper amenities getting displayed for 'Exit Properties'

Modified the color used for bathymetric lines.

Enhanced the look of dashed and dotted lines.

Enhanced sizes of certain labels.

Enhanced the look of road shield icons.

Fixed an issue when using certain find operations.

Fixed an issue where changing the font would result in no labels being displayed.

Fixed an issue with using the Roads & Rec 2.1 Hawaii and Alaska product

The two mayor bad thing with 6.14.1 has not been fixed.

Slow screen draw speed compare to 6.13 and bad aspect ration.

Maps are still to wide. Look at picture.

Do NOT upgrade from 6.13.x to 6.15.3 (Mail already sent Garmin tech support)

Mapsource6.15.3.jpg

Edited by jotne

IMO, draw performance is much better. I just ran 6.14.1 to compare and, yes, this is much faster.

And, yes, the aspect ratio is still incorrect!!! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!

Other bugs seems to be gone.

You can still run the old version.

Custom maps still work.....

Edited by Red90

Try to compare a Topo map using 6.13 6.14 and 6.15, you will see that 6.13 is much faster than 6.15

I realize 6.13 is faster. It has to be, because it is a lot simpler display. I'm saying 6.15 is much faster than 6.14 and acceptable on my 10 year old computer.

I went ahead and loaded 6.15, after first storing 6.13 in a separate folder. I ran them side-by-side to compare. My first impressions: speed is OK on my PC (Gateway running Vista). Compression: 6.15 has noticeably more horizontal "stretching" than 6.13. This was in Washington state (47 north, 122 west). However, it is not at all objectionable. In fact, I'm not sure which version is closer to reality. Icons and symbols: I like 6.15 better.

The big question for me is does 6.15 reject custom maps like 6.14 does ?

Actually, 6.14 works fine with custom maps. I do not understand what the issue is, but the problem was easily fixed by reinstalling them in MapSource with a newer version of mapsettoolkit. It was a pain at first with maps not working, but it is easy to fix.

I cannot detect any speed difference in 6.14 and 6.15, but I have a very fast computer. But I really like how you can make the POIs not as big as they were in 6.14.

If you have an older slow computer stick with 6.13 (that is what I have on my laptop). If you have a newer and faster computer, I would go with 6.15. If you already have 6.14 go with 6.15.

One thing is when you first use a map, it is really slow, but then it speeds up. It seems like it creates some cache of the rendered map that makes the drawing faster.

I just opened 6.13 and compared it to 6.15. I could not detect any speed difference on my computer-they were both instanious. But like i said, I have a fast quadcore computer. So while 6.13 definitely draws faster, with a fast processor it will draw just as fast.

My custom maps work fine in 6.15. One thing that I do notice missing are custom waypoint symbols. They were probably missing in 6.14 but I never installed that one.

I've checked with a file monitor. It first checks the directory for existance (My Documents\My Garmin), but then it reads the icons from c:\garmin, so it looks like a bug (feature?) somewhere.

Furthermore: the transparent background is gone.

Guess I'll see if I can file a bug report.

I just noticed that after updating to 6.15.3 my MapSetToolKit will not send my custom map. I had to go to a restore point to bring me back to 6.14.1 and it works again. This is on my Dell laptop running XP if it matters, haven't tried it on my PC yet. I'm very new to creating custom maps but this is what I see. Otherwise I like the improvements so far.

"I've checked with a file monitor. It first checks the directory for existance (My Documents\My Garmin), but then it reads the icons from c:\garmin, so it looks like a bug (feature?) somewhere"

Well, indeed - the individual .bmp files must be in the c:\Garmin directory (and not a sub-folder) for custom waypoint symbols to work. Thanks for the tip.

I also confirm: the transparent background is no longer transparent.

Edited by GeoBobC

I just noticed that after updating to 6.15.3 my MapSetToolKit will not send my custom map. ...

I'm not planning on running 6.15.3 yet (as Garmin's update performance has been poor lately) but I installed it to test MapsetToolkit with my custom maps. Everything worked perfectly.

There was a problem with custom maps that didn't use a Product Code=1 and an "acceptable" Family ID number. I use 3 digit FID's (in the 5xx series), TYP files to customize the "road" colours, and I'm still on the old V1.32 MapsetToolkit.

Bob

What a disappointment MapSource 6.15.3 is!!! I strongly advise people to stay with MapSource 6.13.7

The main weakness of the 6.14 version is repeated in this 6.15 version!!! The aspect ratio between latitude and longitude is WRONG again (unless you just happen to be located at Garmin's HQ as Red90 correctly pointed out) -- whereas latitudes such as for Norway or for places near the Equator the distortion of the maps looks ridiculous.

If Garmin programmers managed to get this right up until 6.13, I just cannot understand what their problem is now???

There was a problem with custom maps that didn't use a Product Code=1 and an "acceptable" Family ID number. I use 3 digit FID's (in the 5xx series), TYP files to customize the "road" colours, and I'm still on the old V1.32 MapsetToolkit.

Bob

Thanks Bob, I will try again using your setup. I've currently got v.1.50 beta MapsetToolkit, too.

Either my copy is acting screwy or there's a bug in the Total Time calc for Routes in the new 5.15.3 version. I've verified this with another user so I don't think it's my copy/system.

Under Driving Speeds, my Interstate Highway is the fastest at 67mph so we're good here....

But on a 160 mile trip it calaulates 1:57:04 for my trip time (82mph average speed)

and on a 782 mile trip it calculates 8:53:31 for my trip time (88mph average speed)

anyone else seeing this?

It still doesn't transfer data (maps, routes, waypoints) to Mobile PC. You still need 6.13.7 for that.

...ken...

OK everyone.... please make sure to send an email to Garmin about all the remaining problems.

It's hard to believe that they would let an inferior fix leave the cartography department AGAIN... but they did.

Some guys on a newsgroup I look at every morning are saying the new version crashes if you recalculate an existing route. Anyone found this to be true? I haven't installed the update yet.

I tried it and it worked fine on my computer. I recalculated several times without any problems.

"I've checked with a file monitor. It first checks the directory for existance (My Documents\My Garmin), but then it reads the icons from c:\garmin, so it looks like a bug (feature?) somewhere"

Well, indeed - the individual .bmp files must be in the c:\Garmin directory (and not a sub-folder) for custom waypoint symbols to work. Thanks for the tip.

I also confirm: the transparent background is no longer transparent.

My custom icons that have worked for ages are not working when placed in C:\garmin from ... My Documents\My Garmin ...argh

... . Please re-install Product 780 and start Mapsource again." I tried re-installing and got the same thing. Any ideas?

I'd guess that Product 780 is NOT a Garmin product. All the Garmin Mapsource maps I have use a Family Number (FID) and use Product=1 (e.g. Topo 2008 is Family=200 and Product=1). If Product 780 is your own custom map, then try installing it as a Family.

I haven't fully tested installing custom maps in 6.15.3, but I know that they work with a Product number = 1 and a Family ID with 3 digits (see my post above).

Bob

UPDATE: I tested 6.15.3 with an old custom map that did NOT have a FID. I installed it as Product=53, and when I started Mapsource I got the message "There is a problem with the Product xxx installation. Please re-install Product xxx and start Mapsource again." Definitely looks like you must uses Families and Product=1 with the new Mapsource.

Edited by Bob Morphew

... . Please re-install Product 780 and start Mapsource again." I tried re-installing and got the same thing. Any ideas?

I'd guess that Product 780 is NOT a Garmin product. All the Garmin Mapsource maps I have use a Family Number (FID) and use Product=1 (e.g. Topo 2008 is Family=200 and Product=1). If Product 780 is your own custom map, then try installing it as a Family.

I haven't fully tested installing custom maps in 6.15.3, but I know that they work with a Product number = 1 and a Family ID with 3 digits (see my post above).

Bob

I have Ibycus Topo 1.22 as one of my maps, I wonder if that could be the problem?

Maingray wrote: "My custom icons that have worked for ages are not working when placed in C:\garmin from ... My Documents\My Garmin ...argh"

Odd. The custom icons did not work for me until I moved them into the c:\Garmin directory, and then they did.

Are the "xxx.bmp" files? That's what I have: 001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc. Once I moved my files here, they worked in 6.15.

Bob thanks again for the second time in the last week. I went to MapsetToolkit and found 780. It didn't say what it was but gave full descriptions for my other maps. By the process of elimination I was able to determine that 780 is a 3rd party map that I had purchased, Baja Expeditioner. I went to the website where I purchased it and they had a fix. Everything is running fine now, I have 6.15.3 and 6.13.7 loaded. On my laptop 6.15.3 runs slow and my custom waypoint symbols have changed. On the plus side I use Topo Canada a lot and 6.15.3 shows bush roads far, far better then 6.13.7, its worth downloading 6.15.3 just for that. I will try moving my custom waypoints to another directory like GeoBobC did and see if that clears up the waypoint problem. This forum is great. :D

Maingray wrote: "My custom icons that have worked for ages are not working when placed in C:\garmin from ... My Documents\My Garmin ...argh"

Odd. The custom icons did not work for me until I moved them into the c:\Garmin directory, and then they did.

Are the "xxx.bmp" files? That's what I have: 001.bmp, 002.bmp, etc. Once I moved my files here, they worked in 6.15.

I moved my custom icons to c:\garmin and they still did not work for me in 6.15.3. As a matter of fact they quit working in 6.13.7 until I moved them back to the MyDocuments\My Garmin directory.

Bob

Hi Bob!

In the next version of MapSetToolKit, you will be able to create custom maps with a product code 1 or greatest. With the current version (1.50), just click on EDIT button to change the product code. In this screen you can use a different product code(1 or greatest). Version 1.50 fix more bugs and full compatible with mapsource 6.14.x and 6.15.x.

Cypherman

I don't know how the custom map makers would manage without your MapsetToolkit, Cypherman!

I didn't upgrade from your V1.32 even though you added more features in newer versions. I had everything working great with MapEdit 1.0.40.4, MapsetToolkit 1.32, your GenTYP 0.93, and Mapsource 6.13.7, so why change? In fact, I just uninstalled Mapsource 6.15.3 tonight and went back to 6.13.7 after testing my custom maps.

I thought that Garmin had changed Mapsource 6.14.x so that you MUST use Families and Product=1. Why have you changed Toolkit to allow Products = or > 1 ??

Again, thanks for your great programs and support, Cypherman! Wish you would add a "Donate/PayPal" button to your site. Don't know why you do it all for free <_<

Bob

I didn't upgrade from your V1.32 even though you added more features in newer versions. I had everything working great with MapEdit 1.0.40.4, MapsetToolkit 1.32, your GenTYP 0.93, and Mapsource 6.13.7, so why change? In fact, I just uninstalled Mapsource 6.15.3 tonight and went back to 6.13.7 after testing my custom maps.

I thought that Garmin had changed Mapsource 6.14.x so that you MUST use Families and Product=1. Why have you changed Toolkit to allow Products = or > 1 ??

Bob

Why change?? Because it's more stable, support routing, change maps priority and transparent, full compatible with mapsource 6.14,6.15 (1.32 it's not full compatible, you can make crash mapsource with MSTK 1.32)

Check this tutotial: http://sites.google.com/site/scdiscdi/mstk...?attredirects=0

thanks a lot.

Cypherman

Yes, 00x.bmp files. Might be some weirdness as I generate the mapsource file using a custom GSAK macro for assigning icons. Always worked before for transferring icons to mapsource.

"Might be some weirdness as I generate the mapsource file using a custom GSAK macro for assigning icons. Always worked before for transferring icons to mapsource. "

I'm confused. I don't understand what difference it makes how you created the icons. (I don't use GSAK) I also don't understand what you mean by transferring the icons to MApsource. You don't transfer them. You create them and place them in a folder that Mapsource recognizes.

What am I missing?

"Might be some weirdness as I generate the mapsource file using a custom GSAK macro for assigning icons. Always worked before for transferring icons to mapsource. "

I'm confused. I don't understand what difference it makes how you created the icons. (I don't use GSAK) I also don't understand what you mean by transferring the icons to MApsource. You don't transfer them. You create them and place them in a folder that Mapsource recognizes.

What am I missing?

You are not, I used a poor choice of words. I agree there is no reason the source should be anything different. When you click on a waypoint in mapsource, and go to change the icon, are the custom icons there and available?

You are not, I used a poor choice of words. I agree there is no reason the source should be anything different. When you click on a waypoint in mapsource, and go to change the icon, are the custom icons there and available?

With me they are there in 6.13.7 but are not there in 6.15.3. I tried changing the directory that they are in but that didn't help, as a matter of fact I then lost the custom icons in BOTH MapSource versions.

My custom maps work fine in 6.15. One thing that I do notice missing are custom waypoint symbols. They were probably missing in 6.14 but I never installed that one.

I've checked with a file monitor. It first checks the directory for existance (My Documents\My Garmin), but then it reads the icons from c:\garmin, so it looks like a bug (feature?) somewhere.

Furthermore: the transparent background is gone.

Guess I'll see if I can file a bug report.

Looks like it's just that magenta (FF00FF or 255,0,255) is no longer keyed to be the transparent. If you load an icon set 0xx.bmp with true transparent backgrounds in the C:\gramin directory, all is good. Not sure if this worked before, but 32x32 pixel - 256 color icons like MapSource's internal icon set are supported.