MISSION: The Family Mission

ELTADA

Family Mission

Background:

In Ontario, Canada, the third Monday in February is Family Day. For some, this is a holiday and what better way to spend time as a family then to go geocaching and put together a mission package for someone? If where you live doesn’t have a “Family Day”, why not create your own?

This mission has been designed SPECIFICALLY for new coiners, new forum participants or people new to missions. I am not going to set criteria for this…if you feel you are a “newbie” and you can fulfill the requirements of this mission, please sign up!

The goal of this mission is to further foster the sense of family on the geocoin forums. Newbies are sometimes reluctant to participate in missions because they seem complicated or they don’t have a very big trading list. I wanted to create a simple mission that would welcome even the most inexperienced.

It will also give newbies a chance to make a friend…the person they are exchanging with.

What you need to know:

1. This mission is NOT a secret sender mission. If you decide to participate, you will receive a name of another person to send a package to (see below for package guidelines) and that person will receive your name…it is a straight exchange. The list of partnered participants will also be posted and tracked in this thread.
  2. You need one and ONLY ONE geocoin to participate in this mission
  3. Only one mission per caching team please
  4. Assignments will be random and please be prepared to ship internationally
  5. If you sign up for this mission, please be prepared to follow through on it. I do not want any disappointed recipients in this mission…this will be a first mission for some and I want it to be positive. I am here to help every step of the way so please contact me as needed.

Ok, I want to participate, now what?:

1. Send me an email through my profile by January 26th with “Family Mission” in the subject line. Include the following information: your caching name, your real name and your full mailing address.
  2. By January 31st (but probably earlier), you will receive a person’s name, address and info. This is the person you are going to exchange packages with.
  3. Put together a small package (it should all fit in a bubble mailer) that includes:
    • ONE trackable, unactivated geocoin (try to find one that they do not have) – if you don’t have any, there are lots for sale with many different vendors at reasonable prices that you could purchase in time to send out.
    • ONE Small gift (examples include: a bookmark, souvenir pin from your state/country, a pathtag, personalized notepad, etc.)
    • ONE card (greeting card, homemade, postcard, etc.) – include a letter from yourself to the other person with some information about yourself (how did you get into caching or geocoins, what you like to collect, where you are from, any meaning behind the small gift, etc.)

[*]Mail your package to the other person by February 28th

[*]Wait for your package! When you receive it, post pictures of your package in this thread. We all like to see pictures and see what everyone else got (it’s part of the fun!) – if you need help on how to post an image, contact me and I will send step-by-step instructions.

Dates:

(yes, I have put them elsewhere in this post but this is a reminder)

Receive name by January 31st

Send package by February 28th

What am I forgetting?

Oh, probably something since this is my first time sponsoring a mission. But I will provide updates to this thread as needed.

were not fresh but weve been in 3 missions,, from christmas- if we can play we will we just started last year have just over 150 finds,no events, is that considered a newbie? if not im ok with that too.. just let me know here ill return to check.

Edited by DJ.J.ROCK

As newbie we threw ourselves in the xmas- and penguin mission.

My son Lars, was a bit disappointed that he had not joined in. So this wil be his chance.

The coins he has are listed under our account and have his name in it.

He is 12 years, likes baseball, basketball and is interested in military coins. He also likes cats and the eagles.

Will send an email.

well- considering weve recieved 2 myst. coins now, were minting coins,have around 50 coins in our collection, and over 150 finds im gonna have to say were not newbies , but mabie novice, so we will sit out. if you need some peps to fulfill this mission just send me a message, i will be happy to send out a new cacher a package. :)

does this mean i have to start a sock puppet to be in this mission :angry:

No need to do that! :D

Anyone can join...everyone just needs to be aware of the rules, that's all. No extravagant packages, no hunting for a heart's desire coin of someone who's been collecting forever, etc. This is aimed specifically at newcomers but I am not going to be the mission police! lol!

As someone who has perhaps graduated to "novice" (like DJJRock), I have enjoyed participating in missions. I found it a bit hard though with a very small collection to put together an exciting package for a veteran collector. There are many out there who go WAY above and beyond and are VERY generous with their packages -- but as a newbie, it can make you feel bad if you aren't able to do the same.

I thought I would put this mission together to take some of that angst away and have something very simple with no expectations to send lots of coins or coins that are htf. I have a bit of time and knowing that this mission might be a bit smaller, I thought I could also offer up my support for anyone who wanted in on the fun but needed lots of guidance. I was lucky enough to get great advice from the mission organizers when I participated in my first one or two and hoped I could offer the same to others.

So if there are veterans out there who want to go back to a time when they were a newbie and are open to receiving one coin that they might already have...well, as I said, anyone is welcome. :D

Wake up cachers who just started collecting geocoins! This is your chance to join a mission and gain experience.

I learned so far: that the children also like to participate.

We have to take pictures also of the things we sent away.

From this mission i learned that is always good to inlcude a letter include a letter from yourself to the other person with some information about yourself (how did you get into caching or geocoins, what you like to collect, where you are from, any meaning behind the small gift, etc.)

You can also put extra information in your profile or tell something about your team when joining the mission.

We think it is really fun to receive enveloppes from other people.

Do not let you scare of by the veterans who posted, just give it a try.

Thank you to everyone for your support of this mission. There is still lots of time to join if you are thinking about it. It is a bit of a small mission so far but the nice thing is that it will work with any amount of participants!

edit for grammar

Edited by ELTADA

Email sent - though not sure how to get the subject line right when you send through profile.

I am an Unquestionable and Official NEWBIE ... no creative wiggling to make it so ;)

I've been lurking (and posting some for cointests) and the missions seem really great. I love the enthusiasm of everyone playing! Including those wiggling their way in to this newbie mission !! Thanks for making one with that is 'approachable' for a newbie.

Looking forward to meeting a new cacher somewhere out there. Since I am making a little international trip just before the mission (Feb 5-10) part of my surprise will have an international flair!

Thanks!

Sandra of Sandyduff

Email sent - though not sure how to get the subject line right when you send through profile.

Oh SandyDuff...you got me! It is impossible to do that...I originally wrote it with the intention of having people mail it to an actual email address but changed my mind. But glad you are all writing it in the body of the message anyway because I am managing the Witch's Chain Mission as well so it is helpful to know which one you are talking about. :D

Glad there are some brand new mission participants out there joining in...missions ARE great fun and once you get one under your belt, it's easy to jump on board others.

The mission list is growing and we still have a few more days of sign up! YAY!

Just a reminder that this "call for participants" for this mission is over today. I will accept sign-ups until this evening and will post who I have confirmed (so you can check and make sure you are on the list). I should have your mission exchange info to you by Friday (probably earlier if all goes well).

Family Mission

Background:

In Ontario, Canada, the third Monday in February is Family Day. For some, this is a holiday and what better way to spend time as a family then to go geocaching and put together a mission package for someone? If where you live doesn

WHAT A GREAT IDEA. You're right. Newbies, like me are trying to learn as much as we can about caching and geocoins. So this is a great start for me. Never been on a mission, I don't even have ONE coin in my collection. Thanks.

Edited by nefesh

Hey all!

The mission is now closed to participants (I was going to officially wait until midnight here in the east but, well, I'm tuckered and wanted to post before calling it a night).

Below is the list of people that contacted me to sign up for the mission. Please take a read through and make sure that your name is here...if not, contact me right away. I will leave this list up for a day or so and then match everyone up.

evelineroos

millieballoon

AlliedOz

die_anita

Lunamoth47

dhenninger

Butterfly Lady

DJ.J.ROCK

Opalsns

Scare Tactics

Fscout

susiemerlin1

sunsetmeadowlark

ufgatorgirl

Belfrypotters

Sandyduff

Turlutortue

snowball 58

Mar-elendili

Nefesh

'Night!

The moment you have all been waiting for! Your mission exchange partner! Below is the quick list of who you are paired up with. I will be emailing out the detailed information (names, addresses, etc.) over the next 24 hours. If Jan. 30th arrives and you do not receive this vital email, please contact me and I will resend it.

So now you know the name of your partner...what's the next step? Time to do a bit of research and put together your package. I recommend looking at the person's geocaching profile or reading through some of their forum posts for a hint on what coin to send (if you have more than one) and what small gift to include. As a reminder, you are sending:

- ONE coin (only one unactivated, trackable coin...no more please)

- a card with a letter telling them a bit about yourself

- a small gift

All of this should fit in a small-medium sized bubble mailer.

Once you receive the email from me with the person's address, you can send your package -- please make sure to send it by Feburary 28th.

For those who are partnered with someone with LOTS of coins or no trade/seeking lists, do not be worried about sending them a duplicate. Everyone who joined in on this mission understood that everyone has limited coins to choose from (the majority of us are new!). Having an extra of a coin means that we can release one, trade it with someone or give it away in a mission or cointest. If you need any help with your mission, please email me and I will provide whatever advice I can!

You will notice from the list below, I tried to randomly match people up from very different locales. Learning a bit about another part of the world is always a nice bonus in missions (IMO anyway!).

millieballon ~ Fscout

Belfrypotters ~ DJ.J.ROCK

Mar-elendili ~ CSRA Cruisers

ELTADA ~ sunsetmeadowlark

Turlutortue ~ Lunamoth47

Butterfly Lady ~ snowball 58

nefesh ~ Tha Saint (formerly Scare Tactics)

AlliedOz ~ ufgatorgirl

die_anita ~ Sandyduff

evelineroos ~ dhenninger

susiemerlin1 ~ Opalsns

HAVE FUN!

(edited to change geonick for Scare Tactics)

Edited by ELTADA

A tad behind checking email and the forum (and somehow set up the notification of new posts wrong for this thread!) but have my partner and have some ideas for a coin!!

YEAH!!! So excited to be in my very first mission! thank you!

Also, very happy to have someone in Switzerland. My first oversees trip was to there!

I'll update my profile and contact as there is little idea about my coin wishes unless by the patterns of what I have activated. So new it is tough to gauge I am sure.

FYI - My package sending will be within timeframe but not soon as I am planning to add a treat from my travels Feb 5-10th.

Also, very happy to have someone in Switzerland. My first oversees trip was to there!

There I thought : but I'm not paired with you. :laughing: So that means we're two Swiss cachers entering this mission, that's a small world :) Hi there, Miss Anita!

Got the email, thanks. I'll be waiting a little more, I've just ordered a cool coin to send in the package. I have my little idea about the gift, so things should be rolling very soon. Thanks Eltada for the cool mission!

There I thought : but I'm not paired with you. :laughing: So that means we're two Swiss cachers entering this mission, that's a small world :) Hi there, Miss Anita!

Got the email, thanks. I'll be waiting a little more, I've just ordered a cool coin to send in the package. I have my little idea about the gift, so things should be rolling very soon. Thanks Eltada for the cool mission!

Hi back to mar-elendili, I did not know that you are from Switzerland, too. Great!!!

@SandyDuff

You honour me. Thank you so much! :D

Glad to see you are having fun already! :laughing:

Lucky for me, there was an odd number of participants so I got to add my name to the list!

Signed up: YES!

Received Name: Yup!

Mission Sent: Trying to decide what to get...think I have it narrowed down though...