Loading tracks into Google Earth

rtreit

Anyone have any recommendations for getting track data into Google Earth? I know you can buy Google Earth Plus for $20 and do it that way, but looking for a free option until my budget recovers from splurging on a 60CSX.

I read that there are free tools available and starting to do some research but thought I'd throw this out there to the old hands to see if anyone has some tried-and-true tools/techniques.

Thanks!

rtreit

For our Garmin GPS's, we download the track data from the unit to Garmin's Mapsource program. There is then an option on there to 'view in Google Earth'. You can then save the track in Google Earth as a .kmz file, to open at a later date (or send to someone to view :angry:)

GEWalk.jpg

Edited by Slug Trails

Thanks. I don't have MapSource - do you only get it if you buy maps from Garmin? I just have the basemaps that came with my Nuvi and 60CSX.

I did get it working just now using EasyGPS. Very gartifying to see the route overlaid!

Now I can share today's misadventure with my friends. The perils of not taking the cache description on a cache up a logging road. I let my Nuvi get me close and assumed the gate that I came upon was the one I remember being mentioned in the cache description. Oops. I kept waiting for the road to switch back towards the cache!

Map

Well, a valuable lesson learned at any rate. And we had a nice hike through the woods. Just not to a cache.

rtreit

Thanks. I don't have MapSource - do you only get it if you buy maps from Garmin? I just have the basemaps that came with my Nuvi and 60CSX.

You can get MapSource and maps for free these days. GPSFileDepot has good tutorials and a list of available maps. See:

How To Install MapSource If It Didn't Come With Your GPS

How To Load Maps On My Garmin GPS Unit

Garmin Compatible Custom Maps

Anyone have any recommendations for getting track data into Google Earth? I know you can buy Google Earth Plus for $20 and do it that way, but looking for a free option until my budget recovers from splurging on a 60CSX.

I read that there are free tools available and starting to do some research but thought I'd throw this out there to the old hands to see if anyone has some tried-and-true tools/techniques.

Thanks!

rtreit

EasyGPS, ExpertGPS and others that will pull the information from the GPS and convert it to a .GPX file will work.

Once it's in the program and it's exported/saved as a .GPX file, open it up in Google Earth. Google Earth will open .GPX files.