Spin Cast Geocoin!!!

fox-and-the-hound

I'm really excited to share some knew information with everyone. After months of trial and error, the first fully 3D-edged geocoin has arrived! With the aid of a method known as "Spin Casting" we have produced a really great fully modeled edge for the first time. The initial coin is made in a gesso material first and molds are then built off of that model. Here are the results of the initial modeling...

side-764731.jpg

front-737286.jpg

back-737399.jpg

And here are the results of the fully forged and enameled coin....

IMG_1881.jpg

IMG_1880.jpg

Here's how it works according to eHow.com...

Spin casting metal involves using a centrifugal force (a force used through fast rotation) to make a casting from rubber. Metal casting makes all sorts of things such as jewelry, figurines, door handles, steering wheels and hardware. The process of spin casting metal can take up to 3 hours to finish.

Step 1) Choose a rubber mold based on your needs. Place half of the mold onto an uncured rubber disc. Cut and shape the mold to your liking. Dust the rubber disc with mica powder and then add the other half of the mold. Use acorn nuts to keep the mold halves together.

Step2) Preheat vulcanizer machine. Place the mold into the vulcanizing frame; this frame will be placed into the vulcanizing machine after preheating. Vulcanizing refers to a curing process that uses high heat. Once vulcanizer is the proper heat, insert the frame, then slowly increase the pressure. This results in forcing silicone into all crevices and details of the model.

Step3) Remove the model from the vulcanizer. Cut gates into the rubber mold for the molten metal to be directed to create the item wanted during casting. Use a knife to make these gates. Cut vents to prevent a build up of air.

Step4) Place the mold into the spin casting machine. Adjust speed and cycle duration. For metal it can take up to 60 rotations. Close the lid of the machine for it to start and clamp down.

Step5) Pour molten metal in the funnel located on the top of the spin casting machine. Through the spinning and its centrifugal force the metal figure is made.

Step6) Remove the metal figure. When the item is done correctly the metal will be easy to remove from the spin casting machine without having to use tools. There will also be no need to have to put a finish on it.

I'm really excited to see what this means for the future of geocoins! :rolleyes:

Awesome! I'm definitely in for a few.

It's the December Geocoinclub coin and I'm told the REs are already sold out and that there are just a few LEs available so you might want to pin down a trade quick, join the club to get an LE or beg a friend already in the club to get one for you.

Here's a better shot of the side view of the model. It's made a bit thick to withstand the heavy polishing it gets after it's removed from the casting...

side-764884.jpg

I'm told now it's not the first of a kind and that I was misinformed :rolleyes: I'm told the "Our Angel Baby Geocoin" was also spin cast. I apologize for the error. We've been at it for quite awhile, but I'm pretty sure that one has been out since before we started this project. I was told during the process we were the first, but I guess we were the first at that factory maybe. :)

<<---------

<<---------

<<---------

Okay, I'm finally sold on the Geocoin Club and have joined. However, my first shipment isn't due until Feb and I can't get a password to the members-only store until I get my first shipment.

Would a member of the Club be willing to buy one for me (and I will gladly pay for it)?

Gosh if you could only find a member of the Club willing to admit it :angry:

Edited by The Moop Along

Awesome! I'm definitely in for a few.

It's the December Geocoinclub coin and I'm told the REs are already sold out and that there are just a few LEs available so you might want to pin down a trade quick, join the club to get an LE or beg a friend already in the club to get one for you.

I'm not in the club, but if anyone would trade, send me an email.

Am I missing something? I'm a member of the club and I don't see where you can purchase any LE"s yet.

They're not list in the "Members" store, so how the heck can I get one?

I am wondering the same thing, especially as there is now only "a few" of the LE's left :D

I'm not certain when they get listed (shouldn't be long though since this was the December coin and the production was a learning experience and set us back on the timeline), but I'm told if you sign up now you'll get the password to have access to the LE with your first coin shipment, but that current members will have the chance to buy first so there should only be a "few" left. I hope that clears up any confusion I've probably created. I confess that even though I design a lot of coins for the club, I'm not a member currently since I normally get some of each that I design. :angry:

I really just wanted to share what we've learned and created in trying something new :D

Am I missing something? I'm a member of the club and I don't see where you can purchase any LE"s yet.

They're not list in the "Members" store, so how the heck can I get one?

I am wondering the same thing, especially as there is now only "a few" of the LE's left :D

I'm not certain when they get listed (shouldn't be long though since this was the December coin and the production was a learning experience and set us back on the timeline), but I'm told if you sign up now you'll get the password to have access to the LE with your first coin shipment, but that current members will have the chance to buy first so there should only be a "few" left. I hope that clears up any confusion I've probably created. I confess that even though I design a lot of coins for the club, I'm not a member currently since I normally get some of each that I design. :angry:

I really just wanted to share what we've learned and created in trying something new :D

Thanks for the clarification, awesome coin! :D

If anyone is part of the club and wants to trade I would love to add this one to my collection. I would also be up for paying for one. :angry:

DITTO! :D awesome design and I'd pay extra... I just don't want to get in a bidding war on the eplace for one...

correct me if I am wrong,,, it has a generic icon though?

I'll try and snag a few for trades from the Member's Only Store, but I don't see them listed yet either. Then again I don't see November's SE listed either.

Will my Member's Only Store Code for November still work if these go on sale before I actually receive my December shipment with the new code?

I'll see what I can do. :angry:

I'll try and snag a few for trades from the Member's Only Store, but I don't see them listed yet either. Then again I don't see November's SE listed either.

Will my Member's Only Store Code for November still work if these go on sale before I actually receive my December shipment with the new code?

I'll see what I can do. :D

What about October's? I can't seem to find my November Newsletter.......

I too would like to get some for trades or gifts :angry:

Perhaps you shouldn't put them in the store until after we get our December's newsletter and coin (just a thought).

Sweet! A coin with no emotions...that IS what the vulcanizer does, right? :angry:

Seriously, though...very cool design and process. Brenda is already asking when it will be available.

Darn...didn't read all of the posts and see that it was a GCC coin. Shhh...don't tell Brenda. LOL! If anyone gets an extra, we'd be happy to trade coins or cash for it.

I'll see what I can do. :D

What about October's? I can't seem to find my November Newsletter.......

I too would like to get some for trades or gifts :angry:

Perhaps you shouldn't put them in the store until after we get our December's newsletter and coin (just a thought).

I just saw the e-mail from GCC. The November store code is good until 1/25/09. Then use the code in the newsletter with the coin, which should all ship to members by Monday.

The standard club shipment will be a silver coin. The SE in the member's only store will be brass.

Just FYI.

If anyone is part of the club and wants to trade I would love to add this one to my collection. I would also be up for paying for one. :angry:

DITTO! :D awesome design and I'd pay extra... I just don't want to get in a bidding war on the eplace for one...

correct me if I am wrong,,, it has a generic icon though?

No, it should have a custom icon :D

Just received my December GeoCoin Club geocoin. It came a little late due to some casting problems they had making this one but it was worth the wait.

IMG_3706.jpg

It's pewter and red enamil, 9mm thick and just feels great when you hold it.

IMG_3707.jpg

This one was worth showing off as a real collectors piece.

-HHH 8)