PN-20 GC file question

jststmpit

I traded my Triton 400 in for the the PN-20 due to issues with the mapping software. Now I'm just trying to figure out the pn-20 so I can go gc'ing again. I was reading the instructions and it said something about loc files for GC'ing. I was using gpx files on the Triton, which provided clues on the GPSr as well. Does the loc files do the same thing? Everyone here says gpx files are better. Does anyone know if gpx files work on the pn-20?

Any further "out of the box" instructions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

TIA!

jststmpit :rolleyes:

GPX is the way to go. Download them via pocket query from geocaching.com and then load them into Topo 7 and then transfer them to your GPS. Its that easy. You may also run them through GSAK if you care to filter the pocket query for whatever caches you are interested that day then save the results to a new GPX file, load that into Topo7 and then transfer it to your GPS.

Also check over at the DeLorme forum - they are very helpful over there.

GPX is the way to go. Download them via pocket query from geocaching.com and then load them into Topo 7 and then transfer them to your GPS. Its that easy. You may also run them through GSAK if you care to filter the pocket query for whatever caches you are interested that day then save the results to a new GPX file, load that into Topo7 and then transfer it to your GPS.

Also check over at the DeLorme forum - they are very helpful over there.

OK...these are probably dumb questions, but I'm rather new here, so I'm rather dumb on some of this lingo.

What is Pocket Query?

What is GSAK?

Thanks for your quick reply.

Pocket queries are a premium member feature that allows you to download up to 500 caches selected by parameters you determine in a single file. Muy good.

GSAK stands for Geocaching Swiss Army Knife; its a cache waypoint database that's finely polished for geocaching needs. Muy good, too, although if you're just wading into all this software you can wait a while on it.

Tutorial for loading a gpx or loc file into a PN-xx through Topo7.

I suggest that you start embra's tutorial with just one cache. For example, with a cache description open,

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ad-a6c64a9692c1

click on the GPX eXchange File button to send it your PC, and go from there.

Do that a couple of times to get the "feel" for that and then go onto PQs. After transferring to the PN-20 several individually, you can collect them into one Waypoint layer Topo 7 to send them to your PN-20 as a group.

Then, GSAK........