Finger Lakes geocoin

SCP-173

This coin is not for sale, I'm just sharing proof pictures of a pet project of mine that's taken 3 years to actually get produced.

Some of you might remember a thread someone made about this coin back in 2006 but it never came to fruitition until now. Previous to this coin I've designed the original New York geocoin and the Vargseld/Team Proline geocoin, but I've yet to make one that was all me because I was either representing a caching organization or making a coin for 2 people (plus lack of money on my personal coin) respectively.

This is the coin I always dreamed of making. :rolleyes: The Finger Lakes are a chain of 10 lakes in NY that I spent my entire life going to until I moved to CA last October. I've been all over the USA and no place has ever wowed me as much as the Finger Lakes, and my folks place up there was always one of my favorite places to go.

There's a lot of stuff in this coin. The map has a star on it depicting the location of the oldest cache east of the Mississippi and on the reverse there's grapes to represent the wine making business that the Finger Lakes are known for (one of the top 5 wine producing regions in the world, I've read). There's also a nod to the Native American presence that gave the names to all the lakes. The plane is the very one flown by Glenn H. Curtiss over Keuka lake when he became the father of flight (oh so much debate around this one!). The statues on the bottom commemorate the first meeting of three women who would become fundamental in the establishment of women's rights, one of which was Susan B. Anthony, who held conventions in Seneca Falls.

And most importantly the closest boat coming through the canal is the Stroller, the tour boat on Seneca Lake that my father (Team Proline) captains on some weekends!

These pictures are just of proofs. I'm going to have the real coins made in antique silver. There's only 100 of them and they are trackable with a custom icon, so yeah I dumped a lot of money on tracking codes I'll never use but I refuse to make 250 of 'em, lol. I don't want to make something so common.

I'll post more info about them from work but I've got to scoot now.

flxtt7.jpg

Edited by Vargseld? ™

I am soo excited. I spent many of my weekends in junior high through high school at our cottage located on Seneca. Oh, the memories are coming back!

We now have a cottage 10 minutes from Glenn Curtiss museum in the heart of the finger lakes.

I am thrilled that you are going forward with this project and would love to get a couple of these wonderful looking coins.

YHM

I don't mean to get hopes up but I really had to cut myself short this morning. Heck I was late for work because of typing this thread out. :) Anyway, the coins I don't keep for myself I'm only going to sell to people who live in the Finger Lakes. If I can't find enough cachers in that area I'd like to keep them within the rest of NY at least. Ironic since I live in CA now, but I want this coin to be something special for them, just like the Finger Lakes is a special place for me. I just really wanted to share the coin with everyone via thread since it's 3 years in the making for me, with a big long delay in the middle.

Now to add some more information. The coin is 1.75 inches, going to be made of antique silver only (except for some antique brass for myself and family members) has epoxy on both sides and like I said there's only going to be 100 made. The tracking number is on the rim to keep that unsightly stuff off the coin itself :rolleyes: and it'll be trackable with a custom icon. They've also got consecutive numbering on them, something that's not so common anymore that I really miss.

nice coin! there is a guy here that is making hand engraved coins for peps and i know he was going to look into getting some tracking codes- mabie you could sell him the rest of your codes?

That would be a good idea, only it would give his coins my icon so it wouldn't really work out.

I don't mean to get hopes up but I really had to cut myself short this morning. Heck I was late for work because of typing this thread out. :) Anyway, the coins I don't keep for myself I'm only going to sell to people who live in the Finger Lakes. If I can't find enough cachers in that area I'd like to keep them within the rest of NY at least. Ironic since I live in CA now, but I want this coin to be something special for them, just like the Finger Lakes is a special place for me. I just really wanted to share the coin with everyone via thread since it's 3 years in the making for me, with a big long delay in the middle.

Now to add some more information. The coin is 1.75 inches, going to be made of antique silver only (except for some antique brass for myself and family members) has epoxy on both sides and like I said there's only going to be 100 made. The tracking number is on the rim to keep that unsightly stuff off the coin itself :rolleyes: and it'll be trackable with a custom icon. They've also got consecutive numbering on them, something that's not so common anymore that I really miss.

nice coin! there is a guy here that is making hand engraved coins for peps and i know he was going to look into getting some tracking codes- mabie you could sell him the rest of your codes?

That would be a good idea, only it would give his coins my icon so it wouldn't really work out.

Wow...beautiful coin, Vargseld?!!

COULDENT HE SEND A LIST TO GC AND HAVE THAT ICON RMOVED FROM THOSE NUMBERS?

YOU MIGHT ASK..?

I was stationed at SEAD 1990-1991, even lived on Seneca Lake for about a year. Never experienced lake effect snow until I lived there. Tore apart the deck, it drifted so bad during 1 snowstorm, it was just below the roof and encircled the whole house. Took DOT 3 days to get us out. Pretty area in that part of the state. Really enjoyed the Watkins Glen area. Oh yeah, nice coin :angry:

We spend every summer exploring different parts of the Finger Lakes Region and have spent many hours searching for Vargseld? ™ caches. One of our favorites was the one in the old forgotten graveyard with a spectacular view of Seneca Lake. We'll be back again this summer, you can count on that. I remember reading something about this coin quite a while ago, it's good to know it's finally going to happen for you. We'll be looking for a hands on view for sure. Congratulations!

I live up in Rochester NY, but it seems that I get down to the Finger Lakes region at least 3 or 4 times in the summer. Though I especially love the Finger Lakes region in fall when all the leaves are changing over. These coins are gorgeous. Almost makes me wish I lived in the Finger Lakes area to have a shot at buying one of these coins!

I think you're the first person I've seen in a long time who doesn't think Rochester is part of the Finger Lakes. The same goes with Syracuse. I swear some people think the region spreads clear across NY, lol.

I live up in Rochester NY, but it seems that I get down to the Finger Lakes region at least 3 or 4 times in the summer. Though I especially love the Finger Lakes region in fall when all the leaves are changing over. These coins are gorgeous. Almost makes me wish I lived in the Finger Lakes area to have a shot at buying one of these coins!

I think you're the first person I've seen in a long time who doesn't think Rochester is part of the Finger Lakes. The same goes with Syracuse. I swear some people think the region spreads clear across NY, lol.

lol, I never have and never will consider Rochester part of the Finger Lakes region. and yes I know some people who would like to think Rochester and Syracuse are part of the Finger Lakes region and 9 times out of 10 I call them a bloody idiot for thinking that ;)

lol, I never have and never will consider Rochester part of the Finger Lakes region. and yes I know some people who would like to think Rochester and Syracuse are part of the Finger Lakes region and 9 times out of 10 I call them a bloody idiot for thinking that ;)

Allegany County ain't the Finger Lakes, either...tho' the FLT scoots through us.

Today I received the coins in the mail, and Oakcoins did a wonderful job on them! I asked for one without any epoxy on it and you can really tell a difference in how crisp the details look. Epoxy REALLY brings out the details!

I want to share the final result of my project, but please, Finger Lakers, no emails about buying them yet. I'm just one guy and need time to get ready to mail all of these things, lol. It's been a long time since I've done this. :lol:

Finger-Lakes-Geocoin.jpg

Today I received the coins in the mail, and Oakcoins did a wonderful job on them! I asked for one without any epoxy on it and you can really tell a difference in how crisp the details look. Epoxy REALLY brings out the details!

I want to share the final result of my project, but please, Finger Lakers, no emails about buying them yet. I'm just one guy and need time to get ready to mail all of these things, lol. It's been a long time since I've done this. :D

Finger-Lakes-Geocoin.jpg

You love of this area is inspiring!

Great job on the coin!