Personal geocoins that are never released?

artemisworks

I'm still new to this geocaching thing and I've managed to find two geocoins so far, which I'll do my best to pass on to SAFE caches. Seems like there are far too many caches that get raided by muggles occasionally, and it is disappointing to see a TB or geocoin that has travelled across oceans suddenly disappear. :rolleyes:

I've got a question though, in the 'history' of a lot of caches, I find that there are many people who log a geocoin in and out, and it is still in their possession. Um, what is the point exactly of doing this? Do people buy geocoins that they activate and never release into the 'wild' just for fun?

Also, is there any website that tracks the fate of these geocoins and has anyone calculated the average likelihood that a geocoin is going to survive 1 year, 2 years etc. without disappearing into the ether?

So many questions! I'm having fun and it's getting a little obsessive. :)

ArtemisWorks

Do you mean people that have their own geocoin, and log it in to every cache they find, and instantly log it back out? I know a few people that do this, and they do it so the coin travels to every cache the person has. They could then look at this on a map to see where they have travelled, or have a look at how many miles they have clocked up.

There's a whole community (we think of it as more like a family) of us coin collectors who like to snag up the coins people have made. Some coins never see a cache, some are highly prized collectibles!!

The ones you speak of (dropped and grabbed) are usually someone's "pocket coin", a coin which they take to each cache, check it in and take it back out to track mileage. Sometimes, a cacher will also take a coin on a trip which includes several stops at caches before they actually leave the coin!

Collecting coins is a great bit of fun, there's a lot of great people in the geocoin forums who love to buy sell and trade coins! There's also some special people who make coins and then give them away anonomously (mystery coins). Coiners host cointests (coin giveaways) and love to share their fun with others by announcing the newest coins we receive!!

If you'd like to learn more about geocoins, visit the coin forums and just start reading the fun topics!! There's even a few topics which might be giving away coins to newb coiners!!

Myself and a number of my friends keep a coin (either a personal or a favorite design) in our pocket at all times. Whenever we meet another cacher on the trail, at an event or elsewhere we allow them to "Discover" our coin. This gives us an virtual address book of everyone we now know through the caching world. There are a bunch of great ways to use these carried coins :rolleyes:

THERE ARE LOTS OF PURPS. TO COINS,, PICK 1- PICK THEM ALL?

Ive seen coin pages - hosted that persons coin names like a seekers list or a already have list,,,

Ive seen coins for memorials, or a good luck token,, one held pics of everyone that person met-

I have one im getting ready to log in and out of the 150+ caches ive found in order -to see how many miles ive gone,,,

I have some untrackables i leave at a site i really like or for a trade of a keepers coin -havent found a keeper trackable yet

most of all for me--my coins remind me of everyone I interact with here on the forums- thats where the personal coins come in.

hope this helps--- just remember- you have to trade even or up to pull that coin out of the cache- most coins are valued at 10$ so leave a coin or something worth 10 bucks!

Thanks for all the responses. So if some of you collect geocoins, does it mean you keep the geocoins you find in caches? Aren't these geocoins supposed to travel from cache to cache?

Hope I'm not missing something - I've got two geocoins right now that I've retrieved from caches, one has a 'mission' and the other doesn't have a goal. I plan to move these one once I find suitable caches to move them into!

ArtemisWorks

Howdy!

Thanks for all the responses. So if some of you collect geocoins, does it mean you keep the geocoins you find in caches? Aren't these geocoins supposed to travel from cache to cache?

No, and yes! Coins that have been activated and released are travellers, and I highly doubt that many of the people in the forum here would ever pick one up and keep it. If you browse through the threads, you'll see that there are many discussions about the best way to discourage people from keeping coins they've found in a cache (drilling it, attaching mission tags, etc).

This isn't to say that there aren't geocoin thieves out there -- unfortunately, there are -- as well as people who pick up the coins (and other travel bugs) and keep them because they don't grok the "traveller" concept, or don't know how to log them properly.

The people who talk about collecting coins here usually buy them from one of the dealers listed in the pinned thread(s) at the top of the forum, or from people who are selling them, or get them by trading them with other people. Another way is to have coins gifted to you (such as by participating in one of the missions you'll see on this board) or to win coins by participating in a "cointest".

You may notice that a person might have a list of coins in his or her "trackables" list that are listed as being in his or her possession. Some people who collect coins want to have the icons of those coins listed on their trackables page, so they activate the coins but do not release them. This is perfectly acceptable too.

Hope I'm not missing something - I've got two geocoins right now that I've retrieved from caches, one has a 'mission' and the other doesn't have a goal. I plan to move these one once I find suitable caches to move them into!

ArtemisWorks

Outstanding! Thank you very much for moving those coins -- I'm sure that their owners will very much appreciate it. : )

...I've got a question though, in the 'history' of a lot of caches, I find that there are many people who log a geocoin in and out, and it is still in their possession. Um, what is the point exactly of doing this? Do people buy geocoins that they activate and never release into the 'wild' just for fun?...

Some people do this to track their 'milage' via a travel bug or coin that travels with them and visits every cache. For them it adds some enjoyment.