Well I Guess There is One Born Every Minute

The Finding Irish 4

You just need to check this Geocoin sale out for yourself :rolleyes:

<moderator removed link to non-trackable coin sale>

<While I'm sure it wasn't your intention to promote the sale, links to sales of non-trackable coins are not permitted here. I have ocean front property in Arizona that I'll chip in as well :-)

-FSM>

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

In short: There was a link to a non-trackable coin on eBay that says it's worth one amount but listed for sale at a higher price.

It's an Oakbuck coin worth $1.00 but listed for sale at $9.99.

Some may think you're paying $10 for a $1.00 coupon, while others will think it's reasonable because they are looking at it like a collectible coin.

Why are we allowing this discussion? Because it's somebody trying to potentially warn others. The link has been removed but yes it's possible to find if with this little information.

I feel that this thread may have violated the guidelines by the letter in it's original form, but is ok by the intent of the guidelines in this form. (Meaning that it doesn't appear to be promoting the sale).

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

First let me say thinks to FSM for helping me to get this available for posting.

As FSM said I ran across this on a line:

eb30d4d9-af1a-49b7-87fb-282c36464f93.jpg

In this positing it was this one coin, worth a $1.00, for well $9.49..... :)

I wanted to post this as I have seen many questions lately from NEWBEE'S on Geocoins, as to where to

buy, I am new and would like to get a Geocoin etc....

So I thought lets at least let them know to be Vigilant. :rolleyes:

Hope that you all agree.

Edited by The Finding Irish 4

I did decide to keep one I got b/c it was pretty. It was worth more than the dollar to me, or worth more than the dollar discount. But I don't know that I'd pay $10 for it, especially since they were given out for free!

I think I may have an extra one, I'll have to check when I get home, I can't remember if I already gave it away. If anybody was thinking about spending 10 bucks on ebay, I'll send it to you for free :D still have to check on it, but if i do have it, it's been claimed :D

Edited by ThirstyMick

Boy, wish I'd known what they're worth- I put $25 dollars worth in a spot near one of my hides before the last GeoWoodstock and let some locals going know they were there, 'cause I don't see me making it to anyplace I can use them. There's 250 bucks down the tubes! :D

I also put them in my new caches and in missions I send.... guess I like throwing money away! ( or is that obvious since I buy coins at all...) :D

Oh boy!!! And I wanted some of them for my collection! I have 1 oakbuck silver (exp 2008), and 1 oakbuck gold (exp 2009)!

I am still missing the 2008 and 2009 5, 10 and the free die ones!

They are just tokens! Not geocoins, not coins...only coupons with expiration date! Actually they do not have collectable value! They are just prety!

Can I ask something? Are there any other dates on them? Were these oakbucks in 2 series gold and silver, in 2008 and in 2009, or the 2008 were only silver and in 2009 they just change the color into gold?

Hey! I use the dates of expiration, ok? :D

Oh boy!!! And I wanted some of them for my collection! I have 1 oakbuck silver (exp 2008), and 1 oakbuck gold (exp 2009)!

They are just tokens! Not geocoins, not coins...only coupons with expiration date! Actually they do not have collectable value! They are just prety!

Can I ask something? Are there any other dates on them? Were these oakbucks in 2 series gold and silver, in 2008 and in 2009, or the 2008 were only silver and in 2009 they just change the color into gold?

Hey! I use the dates of expiration, ok? :P

Hi Gatoulis,

I have one 5 OakBucks token exp. 2008 for you.

Send me your adress.

Marjon

Hey! I use the dates of expiration, ok? :)

Hi Gatoulis,

Send me your adress.

Marjon

Hello my friend!!

Oh!!! Thank you so much!!!!

It will be the first time to see a 5$ oakbuck token from close!! :laughing:

I hope you took my email & my address!! :D

Nikos (GATOULIS)

Edited by GATOULIS

Hey! I use the dates of expiration, ok? :)

They are as collectible as you want them to be. If you like seeing them in your collection, then they have a place there. I just received a free die side(2008) as a trade. now I need 5 and 10 to have all the 2008s.

It's no different than a non trackable personal, but it's from that company instead of a person. Throw them away???

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

Hey! I use the dates of expiration, ok? :laughing:

They are as collectible as you want them to be. If you like seeing them in your collection, then they have a place there. I just received a free die side(2008) as a trade. now I need 5 and 10 to have all the 2008s.

It's no different than a non trackable personal, but it's from that company instead of a person. Throw them away???

Throw them away?? Oh no!!!! :P

Hmm.. no different from a non trackable... I personaly believe that they are mostly tokens! The snowball geocoins are non trackable and I think they are from a company and not from a person! they all consider them as geocoins! :D Oakbucks are not like that...to most of the geocachers!

Of course I aggree with you in.. they are as collectable you want them to be and if you like them they have a place in your collection!

I like them too! I hope one day to have them all! :(

I always liked the tokens that looks like a gold sovereign or other tokens that has on them the motto...happy new year, that We (Greeks), use to put in the pie we make for the 1rst day of the new year!

We call this pie Vasilopita! they are not with value, but many like them to collect, and one of them is me! I just like them!!! :P

I just do not think it was good to seel them in Ebay as geocoins at about 10$ each!!

Some new geocachers who actually do not know a lot, or do not search for them..... :)

I hope one day to have all the oakbucks! the EXP 2008 were the silver and the EXP 2009 were the gold ones, right? :D There are no others? Only the 2008 and 2009?

I never saw them until I got some in the mail with an order. that's when I decided to try getting the 2008s. I don't know if they were made before that. As for the Ebay thing, there are other things being sold as GeoCoins. A blank disk of jade for 14.99, and offering 10 of them. They even doctored a photo of some geocachers to make it look like it was found in a Cache.

I never saw them until I got some in the mail with an order. that's when I decided to try getting the 2008s. I don't know if they were made before that. As for the Ebay thing, there are other things being sold as GeoCoins. A blank disk of jade for 14.99, and offering 10 of them. They even doctored a photo of some geocachers to make it look like it was found in a Cache.

:):laughing: That's.....

Blank disks??? That is.... :D

Send me your adress.

Marjon

Hello my friend!!

It will be the first time to see a 5$ oakbuck token from close!! :laughing:

I hope you took my email & my address!! :D

Nikos (GATOULIS)

The coin is in the mail since 28 januari :)

Edited by pingos

Send me your adress.

Marjon

Hello my friend!!

It will be the first time to see a 5$ oakbuck token from close!! :D

I hope you took my email & my address!! :(

Nikos (GATOULIS)

The coin is in the mail since 28 januari :laughing:

Oh!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you...!!!!!! :):P

Silly question, but does this mean that the Oak Bucks company doesn't accept expired coins? Has anyone tried? (And yes, I know the real company name.)

Yeah, someone traded me for one of these coins... it was like a $6 trade item I gave for it. Oh well... oh wait, they're worth 10x as much now?? Oh boy! :laughing:

Silly question, but does this mean that the Oak Bucks company doesn't accept expired coins? Has anyone tried? (And yes, I know the real company name.)

Yeah, someone traded me for one of these coins... it was like a $6 trade item I gave for it. Oh well... oh wait, they're worth 10x as much now?? Oh boy! :laughing:

As I understand it no they do not accept expired coins, and as you can only redeem them at events and not on-line I am sure there are many floating out there.....

Someone will be rich, if I can only sell the land in southern Florida now..... :P