New EC Group?

Konnarock Kid & Marge

Hey folks,

Is there a geocachers organization which gives priority to ECs and/or higher rated terrains rather then the endless pursuit of numbers (micros that don't take more than 5 min. to find)? I am sure it couldn't be local with feel good biweekly meetings and a lot of useless chit chat but folks who like geocaching from the natural standpoint and I don't mean geocaching naked!

I am 66 years old but quickly lost interest in guard rail and lamp post micros. Don't get me wrong, there is room for them and someeday that may be all I can reach but not yet!

If there isn't one (group), could we perhaps create one using Yahoo as a vehicle? I don't want to take anything from Groundspeak and no intent to compete but I am sure most of you are lovers of ECs and directly the opposite is a lover of Wal-Mart lamp posts. Please don't stone me to death but what do ya think? :D

I am looking into it :D .

Thanks Cav Scout. You are just the kind of person who should head up such a group. If there is sufficient interest, maybe we could could talk you into being the "owner" of said group? :angry:

Please folks, don't interpret this as a slam at micros because they have their place but they are becoming like kudzu (sp).

I have never had a Facebook account.....until now. I joined and have created an account but I am not sure it's what I want. I love ECs more than any other cache but not exclusively. I wanted to combine those hardy Earthcachers with folks who appreciate a nice mountain, etc. hike to also find traditional caches. Micros are OK but only if they take you to a scenic or most interesting spot.

Caches don't have to necessarily be 10 miles away but worthwhile. Something wonderful can be a few yards from your vehicle. An awful lot of geocaching has become strictly number of finds. The only numbers I am in awe of are ECs found and placed along with higher than 2.0 terrain traditional finds. :angry:

There is already an active group on Facebook (EarthCache Friends) with a few hundred members:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=13124215998

Rather than split the community, why not join that group?

With far fewer people, there is a flickr group that has a photo album of earthcaches from around the world:

http://flickr.com/groups/527996@N23/pool/

I love photos of caches and thanks to you, I just joined Flickr. I uploaded 18 pics of our traditional waterfall series called "Fallin' For Virginia". Everyone is invited to find them. Thanks, but I am still wondering if there is room for a group which combines EC caching with traditional like those I uploaded? :angry:

There is already an active group on Facebook (EarthCache Friends) with a few hundred members:

Great - going there now to join, never knew about this.

Great idea to consolidate rather than split the grouping.

I also feel rarther than creating something new - I'd rather just know that my stats incorporate EC's - which we know are a lot more work required than a micro.

Perhaps we should start the ratings at a 3/2 - or something to show their difficulty - rather than a 1/1 for "easy EC's" - rather than forming a new group.

That shows the relative input required rather than moving off. I also enjoy some multis/puzzl;es and off road caches for a similar reason.

Great - going there now to join, never knew about this.

Great idea to consolidate rather than split the grouping.

I also feel rarther than creating something new - I'd rather just know that my stats incorporate EC's - which we know are a lot more work required than a micro.

Perhaps we should start the ratings at a 3/2 - or something to show their difficulty - rather than a 1/1 for "easy EC's" - rather than forming a new group.

That shows the relative input required rather than moving off. I also enjoy some multis/puzzl;es and off road caches for a similar reason.

Let me be clear. My suggestion/question should in NO WAY be considered as wanting to "split the group". What the heck....isn't there room for more than one group? Geocachers can and do belong to more than one group and therefore why do we feel that there would be a split? :angry:

I checked out the facebook link, and it don't do much for me (no offense). Not much activity on it. Wonder why I never recieved a friend invite -_- .

I also checked out the Facebook site and even joined. It looks good but I agree that there is not a whole lot of activity there. I did post an "introduce yourself" and there was no response. Maybe I did it wrong or I am not welcome? I received a friend request and responded but haven't heard anything from it either? :D