Should I take my GPSr?

catluvr

In February, my daughter and I are headed to Disney World (FL) from Kansas.

I am a sometimes Geocacher and received an Oregon for my 40th birthday.

It looks like the only caches on property are virtual ... as I expected ... and there are only about 5.

We are flying in and using the shuttle, foregoing the car rental. We are staying on property and it will be a short (4 night) trip ... only travel between the parks and resort and it will be by shuttle bus.

I'm trying to travel as light as possible and am thinking I'll leave my Oregon at home.

It looks like the map I have (City Nav NA 2008) only shows the roads to WDW and not the details like rides and stuff.

My husband thinks I'm crazy not to take it ...

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

I'm SO bad with directions, that I would definitely take it and use it to mark locations of the hotel, the car in the parking lot, a place in the park to meet the family, a ride I want to come back to, etc. It's also fun to watch the speed during take off and landing if you're flying, although you're not supposed to so I never really suggested that you do.

But then again I'd take it even if it would only get me the virtual caches.

It's not all that heavy and can fit in your bag, and I have a feeling if you don't take it you'll wish you had.

It looks like the only caches on property are virtual ... as I expected ... and there are only about 5.

We are flying in and using the shuttle, foregoing the car rental. We are staying on property and it will be a short (4 night) trip ... only travel between the parks and resort and it will be by shuttle bus.

I'm trying to travel as light as possible and am thinking I'll leave my Oregon at home.

It looks like the map I have (City Nav NA 2008) only shows the roads to WDW and not the details like rides and stuff.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You're crazy not to take it. Log a couple of virts.

Also, you might possibly maybe find yourself off-site for some reason or another.

Also, even though your maps don't show Disney details, Disney Points of Interest are available to be loaded. A quick google search turned up these links (I'm sure that there are lots more):

http://www.mousesavers.com/gps.html

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keating/ga...coordinates.asp

http://poifriend.com/poigroup.php?poigroup_id=158

Anyway, we head down to WDW a number of times per year and ALWAYS bring the GPSr. Sometimes I go find some caches, sometimes not. Of course, I rent (or borrow) a car while I'm there.

Also, even though your maps don't show Disney details, Disney Points of Interest are available to be loaded. A quick google search turned up these links (I'm sure that there are lots more):

Anyway, we head down to WDW a number of times per year and ALWAYS bring the GPSr. Sometimes I go find some caches, sometimes not. Of course, I rent (or borrow) a car while I'm there.

WOW ... it never occured to me that this info was on the 'Net somewhere ... dumb, I guess EVERYTHING is on the 'Net somewhere!

GPSr is now on the pack list ... after POIs and virtual caches are loaded!

Thanks!

Take it! We did WDW the first week of December and I had my Magellan with me in the camera bag the whole time. Never had any problems getting through the bag checks coming into the parks.

I didn't have it turned on and out the whole time- some of the virts are pretty easy and obvious but I think one or two (that I didn't take time to log) do require that you have them out in the picture you post to the log.

I had mine with me the whole time because it "lives" in the camera bag, but you may want to check out the virts and only bring it when you "have to".

But heck yeah, bring it anyway.

I was down there in Nov 2008 and I wish I had a GPSr with me. Inside the park there are 5 virtual (as you mentioned) but there are also a ton of Disney Benchmarks. These can be found all over all the parks.

Disney Benchmarks

There is also a category on Waymarking.com (another Groundspeak site) for the Disney Benchmarks.

Waymarking.com - Walt Disney World Benchmarks

I will try and post some pictures of them when I get home. There are pictures on the sites above anyway.

I found several in Magic Kingdom, 1 in Epcot and Hollywood Studio without a GPSr. As I was standing in lines I would look around on the ground to see if I could find them.

This filled my need for caching while in Disney. Just try not too spend all your time looking at the ground with all the things to do there. :D

Have fun on your trip.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Also, you might possibly maybe find yourself off-site for some reason or another.

It's very possible the Oregon even has Disney POI's pre-loaded. Even if it doesn't though, great links.

Heck yeah take it. If I remember correctly there are 6 virutals in the park. I'm sure you need it for the one at MGM Studios. I also have always been a "shuttle to and from the airport, and Disney transportation on the property" guy. I've never been there any other way.

There used to be about 10 physical caches in addition to those 6 virtuals, but they were all removed in early 2005 (long story). I actually took the bus about 4 miles to one of them in 2004. There are several caches in "Celebration" (A Disney community) a few miles outside the park. Next time I'm there, I was probably going to take a cab over there. :D

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

It's very possible the Oregon even has Disney POI's pre-loaded. Even if it doesn't though, great links.

Heck yeah take it. If I remember correctly there are 6 virutals in the park. I'm sure you need it for the one at MGM Studios. I also have always been a "shuttle to and from the airport, and Disney transportation on the property" guy. I've never been there any other way.

There used to be about 10 physical caches in addition to those 6 virtuals, but they were all removed in early 2005 (long story). I actually took the bus about 4 miles to one of them in 2004. There are several caches in "Celebration" (A Disney community) a few miles outside the park. Next time I'm there, I was probably going to take a cab over there. :D

I miss those caches that were on property. Some of them were my all-time fave caches.

I also agree that Celebration is a great place to do a little caching. We like to go there on Sundays from October to May to visit the farmer's market and grab some lunch at the nearby Town Tavern.

Edited by sbell111

I'm a very active geocacher, and cannot imagine going anywhere on this earth without my GPS ever again. :D

I've used it to find many things besides caches, and usually turn it on while in flight to better understand what we are flying over. I still have a top speed of 680 saved from when we caught a good tailwind on the way to Italy a few years back.

Do the "Hidden Mickeys"!!

Ask any Disney empolyee where to pick-up the book.

I don't remember what it is called but gives the locations and

a few hints as to where they are hidden.

We had a ball doing this.

You get "points" for finding the "Mickeys".

We were at the "Polynesian" if you go to the store on the

2nd floor there is a short older lady that is just thrilled to talk

about hidden Mickeys and sell you the book.

I brought my Legend HCx to Disneyland this past summer, it was cool. Sure, the GPS didn't show any details of the park or anything, and I was too busy doing stuff with the family to look for more than 1 of the virtuals, but I just left it on and saving a track, and then when I got home, I was able to upload the tracks and view them on Google Earth, it was pretty cool. I wear a hip-pack when I go to Disneyland, so the GPS fit in there no problem, and it's not like an Oregon is going to add much of anything to your light packing. I pack light, too, did 4 days and 3 nights out of a rolling backpack that fit on carry-on. I say bring it.

Oh, and wimseyguy, on the way back from California, we must have gotten a good tailwind, hit a top speed of 698 MPH. Wish he could have gotten those last 2 MPH, though!

Wow, I didn't think of bringing a GPS into the park with me. I was thinking of outside the park/resort area. Still doesn't change my answer though as I'm very much a minimalist when I go to a theme park I don't carry a bag. I bring only money, sunglasses, and maybe a chap stick (who am I kidding, definitely a chap stick). It it doesn't fit in my pocket or my bra it doesn't go with so there'd be no GPS bringing for me. I guess I'm a freak.

Edited by Buggheart

WOW ... it never occured to me that this info was on the 'Net somewhere ... dumb, I guess EVERYTHING is on the 'Net somewhere!

GPSr is now on the pack list ... after POIs and virtual caches are loaded!

Thanks!

If you are looking to log the virtuals in the parks, no you don't need your gps.

Magic Kingdom - Post your photo at this location (Check the zillion other ones)

Animal Kingdom - Pre-note the animals you need to find. Post a photo

etc, etc

It's all easy to do once you review what you need to accomplish.

Unless you are going off property to search for other caches I wouldn't bother carrying the gps all that way.

If you are looking to log the virtuals in the parks, no you don't need your gps.

Magic Kingdom - Post your photo at this location (Check the zillion other ones)

Animal Kingdom - Pre-note the animals you need to find. Post a photo

etc, etc

It's all easy to do once you review what you need to accomplish.

Unless you are going off property to search for other caches I wouldn't bother carrying the gps all that way.

Ahem.

Crockett's Wilderness Adventure GCA402

To get credit for the adventure, post photos of both of the items at the coordinates and referenced in the clues. Include your GPS in the photo.

That's Some Water, Eh? - TDR3v GC9F98

We're asking for an e-mail with the picture of the spot with your GPS or description to verify the claim.

I guess you could say that Crockett's isn't actually in a park and that the second one gives you an out with a description. So you might want to bring your GPS if you want to claim these, maybe.

I guess you could say that Crockett's isn't actually in a park and that the second one gives you an out with a description. So you might want to bring your GPS if you want to claim these, maybe.

Yep, been there a few times. I'll be there again next year.

I'm just saying, if you want to find some of the caches you do not have to bring your gps. Just something to consider like I did when I traveled with several small children and a couple older needful adults.

If you don't want to carry one more dang thing on your trip, your gps can stay at home. If you want to explore outside the common present virtuals, have at it.

And I am quite sure we both could give even move advice on visiting the parks. :D

I'm just saying, if you want to find some of the caches you do not have to bring your gps. Just something to consider like I did when I traveled with several small children and a couple older needful adults.

If you don't want to carry one more dang thing on your trip, your gps can stay at home. If you want to explore outside the common present virtuals, have at it.

And I am quite sure we both could give even move advice on visiting the parks. :D

I gotcha. We're on the same page.

Speaking of advice on the WDW parks here's my single most important one: FAST PASS. The Fast Pass is good for the REST OF THAT DAY, not just the hour block listed on the ticket. You can't get another Fast Pass until the START time on the ticket, but it does not expire until the park closes that day. Cast members will tell you this if you bribe them with stories of the outside.

Here's advice #2 (for free!): Do not start on Monday and visit the parks "in order", ie: Magic Kingdom on Monday, Epcot on Tuesday, etc. If anything do them in reverse.

Have a great trip!

It's also fun to watch the speed during take off and landing if you're flying...
It's also fun (and more allowable) to watch at cruising altitude.
...although you're not supposed to so I never really suggested that you do.
They won't stop you from carrying the GPS onto the plane, so definately bring it. Some airlines prohibit use altogether during flight, others allow it. Check your inflight magazine for allowed devices or ask a flight attendant.

Do the "Hidden Mickeys"!!

Ask any Disney empolyee where to pick-up the book.

I don't remember what it is called but gives the locations and

a few hints as to where they are hidden.

We had a ball doing this.

You get "points" for finding the "Mickeys".

We were at the "Polynesian" if you go to the store on the

2nd floor there is a short older lady that is just thrilled to talk

about hidden Mickeys and sell you the book.

Would it surprise you to learn that the book is titled "Hidden Mickeys"?

Hidden-Mickeys-Book-Cover-w.jpg

And I am quite sure we both could give even move advice on visiting the parks. :rolleyes:

Speaking of advice on the WDW parks here's my single most important one: FAST PASS. The Fast Pass is good for the REST OF THAT DAY, not just the hour block listed on the ticket. You can't get another Fast Pass until the START time on the ticket, but it does not expire until the park closes that day. Cast members will tell you this if you bribe them with stories of the outside.

I bolded the part that's not completely accurate.

You can get another fastpass either at the return time stated on your current fastpass OR two hours after you received your fastpass, whichever is sooner. This is particularly important given that some rides (like TSM) are so popular that all the fastpasses run out very early in the day.

If at 9am you were to obtain a TSM fastpass for 6pm, you could get another fastpass at 11am. You don't have to wait until 6pm.

And I am quite sure we both could give even move advice on visiting the parks. :rolleyes:

I bolded the part that's not completely accurate.

You can get another fastpass either at the return time stated on your current fastpass OR two hours after you received your fastpass, whichever is sooner. This is particularly important given that some rides (like TSM) are so popular that all the fastpasses run out very early in the day.

If at 9am you were to obtain a TSM fastpass for 6pm, you could get another fastpass at 11am. You don't have to wait until 6pm.

We were just at Disney. Took the GPS and logged all 6 virtuals and had fun doing them also.

As for Fastpass. At the bottom of the pass it will tell you when you are eligible for another.

At Hollywood Studios, get a Fastpass for Toy Story first, they go by noon/1 pm and I had to wait 15 mins in line just to get a fastpass. I waited longer in line to get the pass than we did in the actual Fastpass line to go on the ride.

If you are staying at the resort, make use of the extra hours that they post. Get your hands on a schedule that lets you know when resort guests get extra hours either before or after regular hours.

Best time to do rides is first thing in the morning or in the evening. Spend the morning riding rides and collecting fastpasses. Then leave the park, go back to your hotel and swim or nap during the afternoon and come back in the evening. Then ride your fastpasses and do the other rides again.

Also, one person in your party can get the fastpasses with all of the tickets, you don't all have to go to get them.

If school is in session while you are there then you shouldn't have too many lines anyways. So you may be able to stay at the parks in the afternoons and still ride rides as the lines shouldn't be bad.

Edited by ICHTHYS

A caveat to the 'go on EMH days' advice. If you are not an early riser, avoid the park with AM EMH. If you are not going to hang out in the park late at night, avoid parks with PM EMH. Parks are slightly busier on EMH days than otherwise. If you are not going to take advantage of EMH, go to a different park.

Some people also argue that evening EMHs are so busy that there isn't a benefit to taking advantage of them. I believe that this is not the case, particularly as the night advances. Evening EMHs are three hours long, after all.

Oh yeah, go find some caches while you are in the area. If you have time, head over to All-Star Movies to mourn the loss of Lake Todo Estrella.

Edited by sbell111

I'm the leader of the Hidden Mickeys category over on Waymarking.com. Thanks to several of you for the plugs. We just had about 10 new submissions over the past week so there are plenty to keep you busy. I also have about 50 other waymarks scattered throughout the parks. I tried to make them informative and give facts about each item waymarked instead of just saying "This is Spaceship Earth" or "Here is Cinderella's Golden Carousel". Here's a good center point for all waymarks, including hidden Mickeys and benchmarks.