Twitter Me This Batman

Headhardhat

I am not grumpy and don't find myself being a retro-grouch (as a 40-something in the IT world). But I find the entire notion of twitter, facebook, etc etc to be completely lame. I guess I am not so stuck on myself as to share completely inane details about my life with dozens of people of whom aren't "really" my friend. How sad. Now LinkedIn as a job networking tool, you might have something there.

Strange - are you my long lost twin separated at birth? That was eerie - I could have typed exactly that :D

Hello, my name is Castle Mischief.

(Hello, Castle Mischief.)

I too used to make fun of people who used twitter and there reasons for using it. Then I started using it to update FaceBook (which I actually use to keep in touch with actual friends.) Now sometimes I use it just to challenge myself to meet the 140 character limit with real English and still be coherent.

It's just a tool. It's only as idiotic as the people using it. Just like this forum.

Hello, my name is Castle Mischief.

(Hello, Castle Mischief.)

I too used to make fun of people who used twitter and there reasons for using it. Then I started using it to update FaceBook (which I actually use to keep in touch with actual friends.) Now sometimes I use it just to challenge myself to meet the 140 character limit with real English and still be coherent.

It's just a tool. It's only as idiotic as the people using it. Just like this forum.

I have to wonder fewer people would avoid Twitter like a nipple deep alligator infested swamp if it was called something other than "Twitter". I use it almost daily but not for anything related to geocaching. I am constantly learning about new technologies, interesting conferences or online presentations, and lots of other useful information for work just by following a handful of people. I get requests to follow someone a couple of times a week but rarely do. A couple of weeks I got a request for some woman who's handle didn't sound familiar. I checked to see who else she was following and discovered the name of someone that I saw give what was the best keynote presentation at a conference I've ever seen. I figured anyone that was following this guy was probably someone I might want to follow as well. It was pretty clear after a couple of messages that she was in a business that had nothing to do with what I did. I guess call numbers (as in a library catalog) and call girl at least start with the same word but that's as far as the similarity goes.

And about as idiotic as running around looking for tupperware so that we can sign a piece of paper :D

I think the main problem for getting into facebook or twitter for me is that there's no one else I normally associate with who uses them.