Twitter Me This Batman

Headhardhat

Does anyone else here use Twitter? I know several in general because we keep up by using twitter.

I find it a very useful communication tool between other geocachers all over the planet. Maybe you would too?

You can use it on your phone or pc...

You can contact me in Twitter by using @headhardhat

or go here if interested: http://twitter.com/HeadHardHat

I think the MySpaces and FaceBooks are already the third ring of hell. Now we need a means to tell everyone everytime you pick your nose or find a cache?

Here come the attack dogs..

Does anyone else here use Twitter? I know several in general because we keep up by using twitter.

I find it a very useful communication tool between other geocachers all over the planet. Maybe you would too?

I think the MySpaces and FaceBooks are already the third ring of hell. Now we need a means to tell everyone everytime you pick your nose or find a cache?

;):D:);):):anicute::(

Jeremy himself uses twitter. Isn't he a friend of yours yet?

P.S. I think that's why he came up with the My Friends feature last year. It probably was about a day after he joined a site and said, why not do this on geocaching.com?

And was probably the genesis of coord.info to make URL's tiny.

Edited by trainlove

I have an account but do not use it. I think it is kind of ridiculous actually. Some people have way too much time on their hands!!!

Oo! Oo! Oo! Me! I have too much time on my hands!

My twitter:

http://twitter.com/shutterbuginfl

I've started twittering my finds but I don't cache as much as I do other things so there's a lot of other things in my twitter. Yay for unlimited txting! I keep my stuff protected so if anyone wants to follow me, just let me know you're from geocaching.

...You can contact me in Twitter by using @headhardhat

It has already been established by many reputable authorities, including myself, that Twitter occupies the Second Circle of Hell. I am not on Twitter, thank God, but you can reach me in ANY of the twelve circles (see footnote #1) of hell by using @vinny.mission.outpost.in.hell

Thank you for doing the needful.

Footnote #1: In Dante's time, that is, during the time in which he wrote The Inferno, there were only nine circles in hell. It is commonly understood that over the years, the number of circles in hell have gradually increased, until there are, today, twelve circles in hell. The additional circles have been described by theologians as follows:

• Tenth Circle - geo "trackables", such as geocoins, travel bugs, etc.
  • Eleventh Circle - event caches, pocket caches, and "friend find cards" allowing logging of long-archived and long-removed caches
  • Twelfth Circle - caching for the sake of collecting smileys and increasing find count
  • it should also be noted that theologians are currently discussing the formal acknowledgment of a Thirteenth Circle of Hell as well, one populated solely by our fellow forum poster Sionevil.
  • it should also be noted that theologians are currently discussing the formal acknowledgment of a Thirteenth Circle of Hell as well, one populated solely by lame urban caches.

A brief note to the OP and others who feel the (unnatural) urge to twitter and tweet:

There has been at least one earlier (but fairly recent) thread in this section of the forum, devoted to Twittering, as follows:

It's Tweet!, Geocachers twitter from the trail..., at:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...&hl=Twitter

Enjoy!

As for myself, I laugh sanctimoniously and self-righteously at those of you who, by Twittering and Tweeting, have sold your everlasting immortal souls to Satan in return for a few trinkets and baubles known as twittering and tweeting! ;):unsure::anibad::blink::lol::D:D:D:(

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

Looking pointedly at Vinny and sprinkling holy water on myself, I also Twitter while caching to let certain people know where I am and rub their noses into the fact I am finding certain caches :D

I use the official SMS->geocaching field notes -> Twitter -> facebook developed by Jeremy to complete this Circle of Hell.

http://twitter.com/maingray

h

Edited by Maingray

I didn't buy into Facebook/MySpace/Twitter for quite a while. However, a few months ago I attended a one day technical "BarCamp" (essentially an unstructured one day intensive meeting) and Twitter and Facebook were used extensively to support the activities during the day. Since then I have both Twitter and Facebook accounts but almost exclusively use them for business related activities and I've found them surprisingly useful.

I've also attended a couple of conferences with a large amount of Web 2.0 related content and have done a bit of research in Web 2.0 and social networking applications. Consider this:

According to alexa.com (a site which tracks web site usage) of the 10 top sites when measure by the amount of traffic it receives half of them are sites with content contributed by users.

Doesn't a message on Twitter have to be 140 characters or less. If Vinny tried to say something in under 140 characters, his head would explode.

Yes. This is true! One of many reasons why God and I, along with all truly sane people, hate things such as Twitter!

[Note: above message was my shortest ever, with a length of 111 characters.]

:rolleyes::)

Doesn't a message on Twitter have to be 140 characters or less. If Vinny tried to say something in under 140 characters, his head would explode.

Yes. This is true! One of many reasons why God and I, along with all truly sane people, hate things such as Twitter!

[Note: above message was my shortest ever, with a length of 111 characters.]

:rolleyes::)

Of course, that footnote and your punctuation below the emoticons brings you to 199 characters, which successfully continues your record of exceeding Twitter's limitations.

I've used Twitter for a while now, and am probably addicted! I used it for the first time yesterday whilst geocaching with trati.co.uk - we found 20 caches, and twittered them all. With Tweetie on the iPhone we were even able to upload a photo of us at each cache, plus the co-ordinates. HP, one of the trati.co.uk crew who was unable to join us enjoyed watching our tweets, as did, it would seem, several other geocachers, who signed up to follow me during the course of the day!

http://www.twitter.com/simonlucas

I always smile when I encounter this post, because I believe that this is about the only time that I have ever agreed with anything that the author has said on this forum! :blink::blink:

For those who poo-poo Twitter, I find it really convenient as a PA system. since my whole family has Twitter straight to their phones, i can tell my brothers, my dad and my mom where I am with just one message, even if theyre not in the same place.

I can also post my coordinates automatically with my tweet. when i want to go caching on the fly, and i havent told anyone where i am going, its my safety net.

i can also post pictures of the paths to caches to make my brother jealous.

P.S. yes my profile is private so creepniks cant track me.

For those who poo-poo Twitter, I find it really convenient as a PA system. since my whole family has Twitter straight to their phones, i can tell my brothers, my dad and my mom where I am with just one message, even if theyre not in the same place.

You kids with your newfangled devices and phones and what not. Whatever happened to the time when we just used pay phones? Why would you want to anyone where you are? :blink::blink::):D

Does anyone else here use Twitter?

What's twitter? The link you provide is blocked here at work. They say Twitter is a "social networking" site.

Something about messaging people a lot i think. I don't get it.

What Twitter -- often hailed as one of the Web 2.0 pioneers -- seems to be all about is this:

It allows you to send a text-only message of up to 140 characters in length (not much for an intelligent and intelligible conversation, believe me...) to everyone else on Twitter (or on Facebook or other linked sites, if you have Twitter set up to update Facebook) who is "following" your Twitter account about what you are doing or thinking at that moment. Thus, it is an invaluable tool for letting the world know any and all of the following:

• the fact that you are urinating
  • the fact that you just farted and that it feels like more are on the way
  • the fact that you are defecating
  • that you feel that you are having an existential crisis
  • that you are having a bad hair day
  • the fact that you feel depressed today; as one of my Twitter friends recently wrote: "Sam xxxx is out of order today."
  • the fact that you are bored at work and are tempted to quit your job
  • the fact that you hate one of your co-workers, the grossly overweight one with the tacky tattoos who drenches herself with cheap perfume that smells like cheap laundry soap.
  • the fact a relatively famous person (name included) just checked into your medical clinic with a severe illness (such a disclosure is a felony violation of the HIPAA Act privacy provisions, and such a disclosure almost got one of my Twitter friends in very big trouble with the feds....)
  • the fact that you are feeling suicidal today (I see such posts fairly regularly on Twitter, BrightKite, Kwippy and and Facebook from some of my urban twenty-something female friends)
  • that fact that you are at a trendy nightclub in Brooklyn NY with a hottie tattooed apathetic pouty punkgirl star from the Burning Angel site (one of my female friends regularly posts such things on Twitter and other Web 2.0 websites)
  • the fact that it is 9 PM and you are drunk and everything seems hopeless
  • the fact that you have been taken back to the 24-hour behavioral care residential facility for an extended stay because of your bizarre antics while being held at the police station
  • the incredibly interesting fact that you just broke up with your new boyfriend/girlfriend/donkeyfriend/goatfriend of 14 hours
  • the fact that you have a massive crush on a hot woman at work and want to have a hot lesbian affair with her
  • (a day after the above item) the fact that you now hate your hot female coworker, and in fact, hate all other women (other than yourself, that is) because said hottie coworker rejected your advances and you are now feeling kinda suicidal as well
  • the fact that your commercial jetliner just ditched (i.e., made an emergency landing) in the Hudson River
  • the fact that you have just learned that you are an unindicted co-conspirator
  • the fact that you have just been indicted for 50 felony crimes
  • the fact that the FBI just called you and is insisting that you drop everything and meet with them within the next hour because you have suddenly become a prime "person of interest" in an investigation that is so volatile that they cannot name it on commercial phone lines
  • the fact that Obama's cabinet team has just contacted you and asked if you would consider becoming the new Secretary of the Treasury
  • the fact that a co-worker has just offered you $50 to do a contract killing on her husband
  • the fact that your naturopathic practitioner, psychic, chiropractor and psychiatrist all agree that you suffer from "hijacked amygdala" syndrome
  • the fact that you cannot quite make your car payment this month and have thusly decided to put an ad on Criaigslist selling yourself
  • the fact that you cannot quite make the rent payment this month and thus have decided to sell your soul on Ebay
  • the fact that you cannot quite make the rent payment this month and thus have decided to sell your 4-year old child on Ebay or Craigslist
  • the fact that you have realized that you are being stalked by Sioneva
  • the fact that the billionaire heiress 24-year old raw vegan girl with long black hair and blue eyes with estates in San Diego/Miami/White Plains/Boston and who goes by the names Laurie/Lauren/Stephanie/Carol/Annelda is stalking you again
  • the fact that the billionaire heiress raw vegan 24-year-old stalker girl with estates in San Diego/Miami/White Plains/Boston is once again trying to have you subpoenaed to try to get you to testify to a federal judge in Miami that she really IS being harassed by renegade outlaw maverick private detectives in the employ of the Vatican and the Bilderberg Cabal.
  • the fact that the billionaire heiress raw vegan stalker girl has just sent you an uninvited but very cute nude picture via email and now you are sooo tempted to forget your principles and to forget your instincts of self-preservation and to instead succumb to her psychotic demands that you spend the rest of your life with her
  • the fact that you have just discovered that your Twitter follower named "Tattooed Psycho Cannibal Cheerleader Chick from Hell" is/was really your mom using a pseudonymous identity so that she could keep tabs on you.
  • the fact that your psycho ex-girlfriend -- who is still one of your Twitter followers -- has, unbeknownst to you, set up an RSS feed so that all of your Twitter posts have, for the past six months, been sent straight to her paid adspace on the Fark website.
  • the fact that you have just gotten a phone call from the free clinic in Canarsie informing you that the cute tattooed Brooklyn punkgirl from the Burning Angel site with whom you had that wonderful date two months ago gave you HIV, hepatitis B, hepatitis C, hepatitis D, hepatitis E, hepatitis F, hepatitis G, drug-resistant tuberculosis, five drug-resistant variants of bacterial STDs and six strains of HPV
  • the incredibly sad fact that your wife and all five of your girlfriends have told you that they will be very angry with you if you go on that one week trip to Belize next month with that hottie supermodel from Brazil who has a crush on you

...sigh!

Edited by Vinny & Sue Team

You kids with your newfangled devices and phones and what not. Whatever happened to the time when we just used pay phones? Why would you want to anyone where you are? :blink::blink::):D

I didn't buy into Facebook/MySpace/Twitter for quite a while. However, a few months ago I attended a one day technical "BarCamp" (essentially an unstructured one day intensive meeting) and Twitter and Facebook were used extensively to support the activities during the day.

Ooh, I went to barcamp LA a couple months ago, and joined Twitter for the same reason!

Now I'm doing my own Unconference, pLAyCamp, an LA unconference on games and gaming of all types. I'm a nut!

:blink:

Anyway, I'm @amianda on twitter :blink:

Twister? In geo ca-ching? headscratch3.gif

How d..................why woul......................... Wait - WHAT? :(

~*

Twitter came in very handy over the July 4th weekend when the geocaching.com website was down. If it wasn't for all the geocachers on there spreading the word about what was going on and re-posting what Jeremy was saying, I wouldn't have known what was going on.

That, and it makes stalking so much easier for me...

I make calls with my phone (nope - I'm not 80, rather 37). I block incoming SMS text messages, don't have internet on my phone and would prefer to be unconnected when out caching.

Twitter? Well - I basically 'Tweet' every time I log a cache. If you want to see my Tweet (or would like to contact me and call me a Twit) then just visit my profile on Geocaching.com.

Sorry - I love your videos, and have sent links to them to many people as reference to learn about caching (please keep up the good work), but I personally have no need for Twitter or the 'what are you doing right now' feature of Facebook.

i don't use my twitter that often (I look at it to see what others are up to!).

I do use the texting feature to log field notes (geomate jr user ftw!), which apparently tweets... which i somehow managed to connect with my facebook.... so, yeah. When I log a dnf, its no longer just in my little log, between me & that tree... oh no! its broadcast to the other 100 people im socially networked with!

I get the most comments on those facebook status updates tho! Between confusion, lack of sympathy for the DNF's & other random snarkiness, I get lots of attention!

NO.

As a grumpy retro-grouch...not even marginally interested.

I can keep in touch with those that are deserving by text-message.

I am not grumpy and don't find myself being a retro-grouch (as a 40-something in the IT world). But I find the entire notion of twitter, facebook, etc etc to be completely lame. I guess I am not so stuck on myself as to share completely inane details about my life with dozens of people of whom aren't "really" my friend. How sad. Now LinkedIn as a job networking tool, you might have something there.