New Garmin BaseCamp and eTrex basic units announced

SergZak

Be interesting to see how these get street priced - especially in comparison to the Venture HC.

Yes, I don't understand how they can market so many models (or why) when the price differential is not big enough. IMO, they really need to cut back on number of models. It confuses the public to death.

IMO, they really need to cut back on number of models. It confuses the public to death.

Agreed. The same holds true for the nuvi line with currently 34 models...that's down from about 40 just recently. Maybe they can continue the trend...

Hopefully they won't discontinue NEW models as fast as they did with the nuvi 850/880. Those models only lasted 6 months before being discontinued just a few days ago. :anicute:

Edited by SergZak

"BaseCamp allows the complete transfer of maps, waypoints, routes, and geotagged photos back and forth between the utility and the applicable Garmin outdoor handheld device."

Does this mean that those who purchase mapsets on micro-sd cards will be able to view those maps on the computer?

I'm excited; now to make sure all my maps will work with this. I wish they'd release it to developers early.

I was thinking the same thing immediately. Between your maps, Northwest Trails and the fun I've been having working on maps myself, as excited as I am for BaseCamp, it's useless to me without being able to use custom maps!

Does this mean that those who purchase mapsets on micro-sd cards will be able to view those maps on the computer?

I'm guessing the answer is yes.

I don't think so. If you read the release carefully they say that BaseCamp will only support the DVD versions of the 24k and 100k Topo maps and they go on to say that the 24k maps will be released in DVD format.

I think those of us with preinstalled topo maps (i.e. OR/CO 400t) or SD card based maps are still SOL.

I've posted on GPSFix about it and Rich has as well over on GPSTracklog. I was really hoping we would see raster map support (for aerial imagery) in this new product.

Edited by g-o-cashers

"BaseCamp is compatible on both PC and Mac computers. Beginning in the first quarter of 2009, the utility will ship with all new TOPO U.S. 24K DVD and TOPO U.S. 100K DVD products."

I'm not so sure. The wording about "to and from" which includes maps is stronger than the language above that merely states it will be shipped with the DVD versions of stuff.

Ah, heck, it's all speculation at this point. but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Maybe a Garmin representative could chime in on the forums here. :anicute: HAHAHAHAHAHA Maybe Jake from the Garmin Blog Team! :( HAHAHAHAHA.

Edited by yogazoo