Extend Membership Link

two bison

Please remove the new "Extend ... Membership" link from everyone's profile page. It is rude and insulting.

The profile page is the way that we, as cachers, present ourselves to the caching community. I, personally, would not want what appears to me to be begging as part of my profile. Given the choice, I wouldn't put it there and it is not the image I wish to portray about me as a cacher. If it was something that cachers could choose to opt into or out of ... fine but this was not the way it appeared.

I just noticed this new feature and I see it totally different. I see it as an opportunity to give a gift to someone that has helped me, or hidden some really cool caches, or just to be philanthropic. Much the same as an Amazon wish list or a PayPal donate button on a website.

I'm not seeing a rude or insulting 'Extend Membership' link on my page.

I do see a tiny 'Renew your Membership' link in the upper right corner.

I know rude and insulting, and this isn't it.

I find mine in the middle of the screen between the "Status: Premium Member" line and the "Email Address: Send Message" line. That ain't no upper right hand corner.

Edited by two bison

I'm not seeing a rude or insulting 'Extend Membership' link on my page.

I do see a tiny 'Renew your Membership' link in the upper right corner.

I know rude and insulting, and this isn't it.

Yeah, right. I just want the option of not having it front and center on my profile page.

My personal opinion, and not a "Groundspeak voice", is that I just don't see it the same way as you. The only way a person would see that is if they were logged in and since it's on everyone's profile, I just don't understand how someone would think of you as begging when it's a normal link on the profile page. It's right next to the "Send Message" link, and I don't think people make the connection of you begging for them to send you an email with that link on there.

But I'm sure this thread will have more opinions than mine so we'll see where it takes us :anicute:

-Raine

If someone should extend my membership (like for a year), would my automatically renewing monthly subscription be put on hold, or canceled?

It would extend your renewal date by a year.

So my no longer available monthly subscription would resume at the end of that year?

How will PayPal know about this?

A well-meaning $10 could screw up someone's personal program.

Edited by AZcachemeister

I just caught this today too.

There are two different versions.

One for premium members - Extend DeRock & The Psychic Cacher's Membership

One for regular members - Upgrade DeRock & The Psychic Cacher's Membership

Voice all the opinions you want - I'll bet that it's not going away. And that's their right as a commercial website.

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

When I first saw the link on someone's page I thought they were in fact asking for hand outs if they felt they were special and deserving of people paying for their membership. Then I saw it on a second profile so I looked at my own and I agree that it makes it look like I've asked for people to give me money and I don't like that at all.

In fact I think it will look particularly bad to the casual new visitor who doesn't take the time to figure out that people don't have the choice to have this "feature".

That brings up the why? Why did geocaching.com spend the time and resources to have this link?

I would like to see the link removed.

Times aren't that tough, that I need charity.

I almost emailed a friend to tell them how sad it was they put that on their profile page.

Then I checked my page and saw I am begging too.

Well, Groundspeak is begging using my screenname

Why can't a link such as "Groundspeak Membership Gift Certificates" be placed on the 'My Account' page under the 'Renew your membership' link and then if someone wants to gift someone they can fill out the form that the Groundspeak Membership Gift Certificates link goes to?

In fact I think it will look particularly bad to the casual new visitor who doesn't take the time to figure out that people don't have the choice to have this "feature".

I don't think the casual new visitor will think that at all. In fact i suspect they won't care a bit.

It only stands out to us since we are used to living without it.

Hi,

I don't think this link is useful for the users. I'm not feeling insulted but I don't like it. I think the placement on the page is a little 'unergonomic' so to say. It's placed directly above the send a message link and you may hit the extend link by accident. Maybe it's better to put it in a smaller font in brackets behind the Premium Member if you really must have it on each and every profile.

What I would have found more useful would have been the following feature:

Order a premium membership for someone and have it delivered at a special time and date. So you can order the birthday or christmas gift before the actual date and can be sure it's delivered at the right time even if you do not have any time on that specific date. So I can have a membership delivered at 20:00 on Dec.24th to a friend while I'm at the same time am unwrapping my own parcels. :anicute: Other sites like livejournal have had such an option for years.

Just my 2cents.

Atti

Raine, I don't mind the link and don't see it as begging. I'm not sure if it says who sent it, but an anonymous option would be good if one doesn't exist.

In another thread, I said, "There are local cachers that may be hurting financially, and an anonymous option would give the local caching community a way to donate without anyone knowing and let the person in need continue caching with all the benefits of being a PM.

I see it as a way to expand what (for me) caching is about, which is the community, and growing the friendships that are created from it."

Groundspeak needs to make money. They are a business. Let 'em have the link.

No argument with that, but does it need to be worded this way and does it need to be on everyone's profile, I don't think so. It will no doubt stay, but I don't have to like it :anicute:

Edit to add: I have added the following text to my profile page :-

PLEASE NOTE - I HAVE NO WISH TO UPGRADE MY ACCOUNT, THANK YOU !

Edited by Tooey
Raine, I don't mind the link and don't see it as begging. I'm not sure if it says who sent it, but an anonymous option would be good if one doesn't exist.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a couple of cacher friends here near me that can't afford even $3 a month but I know they would make use of PQs. I would buy two gift memberships right now if I could do it anonymously.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have a couple of cacher friends here near me that can't afford even $3 a month but I know they would make use of PQs. I would buy two gift memberships right now if I could do it anonymously.

Mmm not very anonymous now then is it !

Seriously, please move it anywhere other than our profile page. This isn't profile information and it's becoming quite obvious that the majority don't want it there. We (fox and I) don't want anyone renewing any service for us from any vendor. If someone would like to send a gift membership that we could either accept or decline, that's cool, but I don't want someone messing with my profile in any fashion.

I don't like it either. I think it is tacky and tasteless. I would like it removed from my profile, or at least have an option to remove it myself. We can opt out of sharing our email adress, home page, accepting friends etc. Why not this?

I don't really want anyone to renew my membership for me. I am perfectly capable of doing so myself and have for the past few years. I don't want to feel obligated to anyone for renewing my membership. Groundspeak will not lose any money because I plan to keep my membership, so they don't stand to gain any money by giving someone else the option of paying it for me. So I see no reason to have it on my profile. If they want people to have the option then simply let them continue to purchase gift certificates for others.