Release Notes 1/13/09

OpinioNate

I am really unconcerned with the link, it's wording, or the font used.

Since my question in the other thread went unanswered, I'll repeat it here:

What happens to my (now unavailable) monthly subscription if someone decides I deserve a yearly subscription?

Will I be permitted to continue on a monthly basis after the yearly subscription ends?

-or-

Will I be forced to resume at the $10/3 month rate?

-and-

How will Paypal know not to charge me for the monthly amount?

-double payments would be fun, no?-

Will I be able to decline?

-if someone is trying to kiss up, and I don't want to be kissed up to-

Will I be notified so I can suspend the monthly Paypal deduction (as if that's possible)?

Why can't someone just meet me at an event and hand me the $30? :angry:

What happens to my (now unavailable) monthly subscription if someone decides I deserve a yearly subscription?

Will I be permitted to continue on a monthly basis after the yearly subscription ends?

-or-

-and-

Will I be notified so I can suspend the monthly Paypal deduction (as if that's possible)?

Why can't someone just meet me at an event and hand me the $30? :angry:

Send me 30 bucks and we will both find out .....

Jim

Here's another thought, it's been a long time since we upgraded our account and I'm not seeing anything in the TOU, etc, but does upgrading an account to premium require the member to agree to a new set of terms? If so, the gift giver could be obligating the recipient to something he didn't agree to.

Additionally, what happens if a "giftee" start violating premium portions of the TOU like sharing PQs?

Folks a little more familiar with the legalese of this site would have to answer these questions.

EDIT: Additionally, if one does receive an unwanted upgrade, does that mean if they refuse the membership, i.e. cancel the upgrade, their membership is terminated?

Edited by CoyoteRed

Here's another thought, it's been a long time since we upgraded our account and I'm not seeing anything in the TOU, etc, but does upgrading an account to premium require the member to agree to a new set of terms? If so, the gift giver could be obligating the recipient to something he didn't agree to.

Additionally, what happens if a "giftee" start violating premium portions of the TOU like sharing PQs?

Folks a little more familiar with the legalese of this site would have to answer these questions.

EDIT: Additionally, if one does receive an unwanted upgrade, does that mean if they refuse the membership, i.e. cancel the upgrade, their membership is terminated?

I don't think there are any differences in the Terms of Usage/Service for Basic versus Premium Members. Why would there be?

I don't think there are any differences in the Terms of Usage/Service for Basic versus Premium Members. Why would there be?

I don't know. I'm asking because of this part in the TOU:

Subscription portions (if any) of the Site may contain additional terms and conditions applicable to use of that portion of the Site, including without limitation password usage and protection rules. If You subscribe to any service at this Site, You will be asked to agree to those terms and conditions as part of the subscription transaction, and those terms and conditions will be deemed incorporated into this Agreement by this reference.

Upgrading to a PM account does not require agreement to different terms than a regular membership. However, use of Pocket Query functionality does require agreement to a separate data license agreement, and there may eventually be other site features that require separate agreement.

If any member (PM or otherwise) is violating portions of the TOU, they may subject to access restrictions.

If someone cancels a PM upgrade, it will not cancel their basic their membership. They just won't be a premium member.

Edited by Bryan

-or-

-and-

Why can't someone just meet me at an event and hand me the $30? ;)

Since the only way to continue a $3/month PayPal subscription is to not cancel it, if you were to be gifted a yearly PM you would have to continue paying monthly anyway. Each month your account expiration would be extended by one year, so essentially you would just continue extending your membership one year into the future. Of course that isn't ideal but we have virtually no way now to start up a monthly PayPal subscription after it is canceled.

But really, is it that big a deal to switch to a quarterly membership instead of monthly if the need arose? I'm gonna say no, but if this hypothetical situation comes to pass you can write us at contact@geocaching.com and we'll try to find some way to make you happy.

Since the only way to continue a $3/month PayPal subscription is to not cancel it, if you were to be gifted a yearly PM you would have to continue paying monthly anyway. Each month your account expiration would be extended by one year, so essentially you would just continue extending your membership one year into the future. Of course that isn't ideal but we have virtually no way now to start up a monthly PayPal subscription after it is canceled.

But really, is it that big a deal to switch to a quarterly membership instead of monthly if the need arose? I'm gonna say no, but if this hypothetical situation comes to pass you can write us at contact@geocaching.com and we'll try to find some way to make you happy.

Thanks for the clarification. :wacko:

There are(/i) times when a $10 automatic payment could result in a $25 overdraft fee. :yikes:

I guess I would have PayPal take the funds from my PayPal account, rather than from my bank. If the money isn't there (in the PayPal account), nothing happens.

I noticed this on someone's profile, I wonder what it would do (note the status)?

It would merely push their renewal date into the future, same if they were merely Premium members.

-or-

-and-

I'm nearly positive that nothing would happen to your monthly $3 PayPal deduction. The gift would push your renewal date one year into the future, but PayPal would continue to send GS $3 per month. If you stopped PayPal from sending the monthly payment because of the gift, you wouldn't be able to 'restart' the monthly payment next year.

I have two questions for Groundspeak?

1, If a member upgrades my account without my consent, do I have the right to refuse the upgrade and have my account returned to it's original status?

2, If the answer to question 1 is yes, will the member who upgraded my account be given a full refund?

1. Yes.

2. This will be on a case by case basis. It is impossible to know, at this time, what scenarios will arise.

1, If a member upgrades my account without my consent, do I have the right to refuse the upgrade and have my account returned to it's original status?

2, If the answer to question 1 is yes, will the member who upgraded my account be given a full refund?

1. Yes.

2. This will be on a case by case basis. It is impossible to know, at this time, what scenarios will arise.

#2 sounds totally irresponsible to me. Please forgive my apparent disrespect here.

How can any business allow money to be flushed down some toilet somewhere or be used to pay for their sailboats instead of whatever that money was supposed to be used for (or returned to sender)?

All contingencies should have been planned for before any change to your money acceptance system was ever implemented.

Secondary question here. Does the Gift a Membership use SSL or other high security when manipulating my credit card number? Your normal web page and forum page login surley doesn't.

I noticed this on someone's profile, I wonder what it would do (note the status)?

It would merely push their renewal date into the future, same if they were merely Premium members.

-or-

-and-

I'm nearly positive that nothing would happen to your monthly $3 PayPal deduction. The gift would push your renewal date one year into the future, but PayPal would continue to send GS $3 per month. If you stopped PayPal from sending the monthly payment because of the gift, you wouldn't be able to 'restart' the monthly payment next year.

There is no such thing as renewing PayPal payments here on geocaching.com anymore, perhaps those done before Groundspeak removed that ability will someday also get bolluxed.

Edited by trainlove

Never mind, I think I was wrong about how Charter Member-ships work.

1. Yes.

#2 sounds totally irresponsible to me. Please forgive my apparent disrespect here.

How can any business allow money to be flushed down some toilet somewhere or be used to pay for their sailboats instead of whatever that money was supposed to be used for (or returned to sender)?

All contingencies should have been planned for before any change to your money acceptance system was ever implemented.

If you were to give me a Starbucks gift card and I chose not to use it, do you expect Starbucks to give you back your money?

-or-

-and-

There is no such thing as renewing PayPal payments here on geocaching.com anymore, perhaps those done before Groundspeak removed that ability will someday also get bolluxed.
Really? I just checked my PayPal account and the subscription that I set up so many years ago to annually pay for my charter membership is still active.

Perhaps you responded to my post without actually comprehending the point that I was making.

Edited by sbell111
If you were to give me a Starbucks gift card and I chose not to use it, do you expect Starbucks to give you back your money?

If you receive a Starbucks gift card you could return it to the person who gave it to you and they could pass it on to another person or use it themselves. Or if you wanted to show support for Starbucks, you could pass it on to another coffee drinker.

The question is 'will that be possible at Groundspeak?'.

John

If you receive a Starbucks gift card you could return it to the person who gave it to you and they could pass it on to another person or use it themselves. Or if you wanted to show support for Starbucks, you could pass it on to another coffee drinker.

The question is 'will that be possible at Groundspeak?'.

John

Actually, you would most support Starbucks by throwing the gift card away, not by passing it on.

Either way, that question was fielded in post 115. It will be addressed on a case by case basis.

Sure, but if you were to return that activated card to StarBucks you would expect to be able to get a refund. Unless it were stipulated that no refunds were allowed.

Really? I just checked my PayPal account and the subscription that I set up so many years ago to annually pay for my charter membership is still active.

Perhaps you responded to my post without actually comprehending the point that I was making.

Perhaps you have not tried to make a "new" recurring PayPal purchase at Groundspeak. I had stated that existing ones would 'probably' still work until something screwed them up like a leap year extra day, or perhaps a leap second, or something else unpredictable. How many people are not Charter anymore due to such a messup in the past?

Edited by trainlove

Sure, but if you were to return that activated card to StarBucks you would expect to be able to get a refund. Unless it were stipulated that no refunds were allowed.

Perhaps you have not tried to make a "new" recurring PayPal purchase at Groundspeak. I had stated that existing ones would 'probably' still work until something screwed them up like a leap year extra day, or perhaps a leap second, or something else unpredictable. How many people are not Charter anymore due to such a messup in the past?

Probably none. TPTB have been really good about 'resetting' CM status for those of us who biffed and allowed are memberships to lapse for small amounts of time.

Also, I don't think that small screw ups like those that you list would affect anything. I know that once I forgot to change my bank account in PayPal, causing my payment to fail. It wasn't the end of the world. I received an email from PayPal notifying me of the issue. I linked my new account and PayPal made the payment. GS never knew the difference.

Edited by sbell111

I thought there were two forms of membership, premium or non, what is a charter member?

Charters (besides being Platinum Members :D ) are Premium Members who beat it to the punch and joined very early in the game, and have not had a lapse in their membership.

I think it spells this out somewhere in the FAQ's either here in the forums or on geocaching.com or even the KnowledgeBase on Groundspeak.com

I thought there were two forms of membership, premium or non, what is a charter member?

Charters (besides being Platinum Members :D ) are Premium Members who beat it to the punch and joined very early in the game, and have not had a lapse in their membership.

I think it spells this out somewhere in the FAQ's either here in the forums or on geocaching.com or even the KnowledgeBase on Groundspeak.com

The charter members also receive a plain brown paper wrapped package every month. Inside is a vial of Chemical X.

Jim

I don’t like this addition to my profile. I feel it is distasteful and unwarranted. Like others before me have said, if I want charity, I will ask for it.

Please move the line from my profile and place it in a more appropriate place, like the recycle bin.

I don't like this at all and wish it could be removed. For one thing, there is the option on our profiles to list our occupation, we recently changed this section to note that like others in this poor economy we are only partially employed now and in mid-career transition. Adding this to the profile makes it look like we put it up there for that reason when that is not the case and is making me think to leave "Occupation" blank to avoid looking like we're begging. While we have the right to say what we want on our profile and could leave it blank, we see our caching profile as the equivalent of a "MySpace"/"Facebook" to the fellow caching community and like to be somewhat "open".

Please have the option to remove this link, it kind of looks embarrasing and compromises our profiles.

Secondary question here. Does the Gift a Membership use SSL or other high security when manipulating my credit card number? Your normal web page and forum page login surley doesn't.

Looks like the SSL Cert was minted back in June 2008 and is good until June 2010 through Thawte. Since the www.geocaching.com cert was minted not sure why SSL is not enabled for logins to the site - its not like its a StartCom SSL Cert and people running IE will be getting Security Popups. You already spent money on the cert so it would make sense to upgrade the login mechanism to be done over SSL (if it has not been ported already).

Since the www.geocaching.com cert was minted not sure why SSL is not enabled for logins to the site... You already spent money on the cert so it would make sense to upgrade the login mechanism to be done over SSL (if it has not been ported already).

When purchasing memberships, sensitive information such as credit card numbers, must be transferred, so SSL makes sense. When logging into a site that does nothing more than let you log finds on Tupperware hidden in the woods, I don't see why SSL is necessary. (Although I agree it would be trivial to implement.)

Since the www.geocaching.com cert was minted not sure why SSL is not enabled for logins to the site... You already spent money on the cert so it would make sense to upgrade the login mechanism to be done over SSL (if it has not been ported already).

When purchasing memberships, sensitive information such as credit card numbers, must be transferred, so SSL makes sense. When logging into a site that does nothing more than let you log finds on Tupperware hidden in the woods, I don't see why SSL is necessary. (Although I agree it would be trivial to implement.)

Indeed, and there are reasons not to

- SSL uses more bandwidth - slower site for users.

- SSL uses more CPU (significantly more) -- also = slower site for users.