Release Notes 1/13/09

OpinioNate

except for the fact that, as someone stated previously, non-members can't see profiles so therefore cannot use the link.

You are confusing membership and being logged-in. Nobody that is not logged in can see a profile.

Believe me, we Non-Members can read anyones profiles, as long as we log in.

By "member" I mean any level of member. Folks should not have to register, log in, and go to a user's profile just to buy a gift certificate.

two things:

- I don't care for this feature, but it's not my webpage

- IF it is to be, THEN a date should be shown as to the current renewal date for the member AND a tick box provided to select in/out

(it could occur that some popular person would end up with a century of gifted membership)

except for the fact that, as someone stated previously, non-members can't see profiles so therefore cannot use the link.

You are confusing membership and being logged-in. Nobody that is not logged in can see a profile.

By "member" I mean any level of member. Folks should not have to register, log in, and go to a user's profile just to buy a gift certificate.

No one is required to log in to buy a gift membership. You can buy them from the membership page without signing in. Edited by sbell111

It was nice to see this included in the inform me of changes to the website email i subscribe to

its probably got caught in my spam filter again though ?

I assume that it wasn't communicated via email because it 1) wasn't really a feature change and 2) was not imagined to be any big deal.

You are confusing membership with premium membership. You are a member yourself, and you have to be a member of geocaching.com to be logged in (the free membership is enough, you don't need to be a premium member). Non-members have no login and cannot see profile pages

The terms you want are "Basic Members" and "Premium Members."

No one is required to log in to buy a gift membership. You can buy them from the membership page without signing in.

But they wouldn't be using the link, which is the original point.

I just think it's ugly.

No one is required to log in to buy a gift membership. You can buy them from the membership page without signing in.

But they wouldn't be using the link, which is the original point.

I just think it's ugly.

It may your point, but it apparently wasn't SQ's point.

Edited by sbell111

I have two questions for Groundspeak?

1, If a member upgrades my account without my consent, do I have the right to refuse the upgrade and have my account returned to it's original status?

2, If the answer to question 1 is yes, will the member who upgraded my account be given a full refund?

I don't understand why people are both saying that it makes it look like they're begging, and asking for an option to turn it off.

If it's on for everybody, then you're no more begging people to buy you a PM than you are imploring them to buy the "First to Find" card game or go to Box64.com or whatever else is advertised in the pane on the left, which is a lot larger than the "gift a PM" link. If necessary, you can put "Ignore the above link, Groundspeak puts it in there automatically", but I think most people will realise that pretty quickly.

Whereas, if it became an option, how long would it be before people who haven't turned it off are considered to be panhandling? Will we see cache logging requirements saying "you can only log this cache if your profile is not begging for a PM gift"? :D

If it's on for everybody, then you're no more begging people to buy you a PM than you are imploring them to buy the "First to Find" card game or go to Box64.com or whatever else is advertised in the pane on the left

Good point, sTreamTraen. If the option to turn it on/off is made available, it would make it look like those who leave it on there (or those that don't even know it's there), would be asking for people to pay for them, but since it's on everyone's profile, it's not that way.

This is ridiculous. Noone, who doesn't have an account can see my profile page.

I'd like this link removed to a different place.

If my friends and relations, who mostly are non cachers, are supposed to get me an gift certificate, should they ever wish to do so, they certainly won't be doing that by using the link on my profile, which they can't see, as they don't have an account.

It was possible to get an upgrade for other cachers before, my first year subscription was gifted to me by a caching friend. She managed to get me an upgrade without this link. Wonder how on earth she managed that!

The link has been altered, thank you, but I'm not really satisfied with this reply I got from geocaching.com General Inquiries:

Thanks for your feedback..

When we offer new features on Geocaching.com we announce them in the Groundspeak Forums in the Groundspeak Web section. Here's a link to the details of the launch:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=211990

There's some good responses in there on how to update the profile so it isn't so prominent. This has been an often requested feature for users - primarily friends and family so we plan to keep it, but we're taking suggestions on making it accessible but not so well highlighted.

Best Regards,

So please, where in this thread is the information on how to update my profile, so the link isn't so prominent. I must have missed this...

1, If a member upgrades my account without my consent, do I have the right to refuse the upgrade and have my account returned to it's original status?

2, If the answer to question 1 is yes, will the member who upgraded my account be given a full refund?

A perfectly reasonble question and if the answer to both is yes the whole process becomes voluntary and all objections should disappear.

What a bunch of whiners. :D

Why is it this has to have a negative connnotation?

It is neither begging nor shameful. It's a simple link to help someone else say "Hey Thanks!"

The link is merely an electronic version of the gift card.

Ignore it and it'll become just as invisible to you as the link to the Disclaimer for the Terms and Conditions is to you on each and every cache page you read.

Ignore it and it'll become just as invisible to you as the link to the Disclaimer for the Terms and Conditions is to you on each and every cache page you read.

I'm not sure.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone creates a Greasemonkey script to remove it from the page.

I think the main problem is that the original version was written in the first person, which made it appear that the member had placed this on their own profile page. That was a mistake, and has been rectified. But many of those who got into a snit over it, are simply unwilling to unsnit themselves and look at it with fresh eyes.

And for those who say that no one who would give them a PM has an account, ok. That's YOU. It's not EVERYONE. There are families and groups of friends where everyone has accounts.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone creates a Greasemonkey script to remove [the "Give a gift membership" link] from the page.

It would certainly be trivial to do, but it wouldn't accomplish what the complainers want, unless you could get *everyone* to install the script. Just because the complainer doesn't see it, most everyone else still would.

It is neither begging nor shameful. It's a simple link to help someone else say "Hey Thanks!"

I agree completely.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a certain picture of a horse show up in this thread yet. :D

I agree 100%.

I can easily afford my premium membership, but I'm not proud: If someone out there is crazy enough to pay for my next membership renewal, I won't complain! :D

--Larry

Um,

Shouldn't the Pinned Groundspeak Notices > Geocaching Announcements have a link to this 1/13 update? I mean, people not paying attention might not have noticed that an update was made and it might look like there has not been any NEWS since Nov 13 2008, 10:09 AM

Oh, thanks for the reminder, Trainlove. I completely forgot! Everyone should have a chance to complain about this new feature. :D

Edited by OpinioNate

Hey, if Groundspeak starts giving away gold, they'd dadgum well better make sure it's shiny. I don't want them thinking we'll settle for any of that non-buffed gold. And they'd also better ASK me before giving me any gold too. I don't take kindly to someone just giving me gold without my permission!

Today we updated the site with new ways to purchase Groundspeak Premium Membership gift certificates.

'This is an outrage!

How dare Groundspeak enable people to give me gifts!

I won't stand for it!

I demand my rights to use these forums as a non-paying basic member!

Harrumph!'

Jeez, some Geocachers have some seriously odd notions. :rolleyes:

I had to search for several minutes even to find this "gift certificate link" on my profile page.

Looks fine to me.

Um,

Shouldn't the Pinned Groundspeak Notices > Geocaching Announcements have a link to this 1/13 update? I mean, people not paying attention might not have noticed that an update was made and it might look like there has not been any NEWS since Nov 13 2008, 10:09 AM

Oh, thanks for the reminder, Trainlove. I completely forgot! Everyone should have a chance to complain about this new feature. :)

Thanks Trainlove.. I had seen the first version of the link but was not aware of any new Release Notes! (I knew something was up because of the glitch to our stats in our profiles yesterday (on the 14th around 2-3pm EST)).

I can give myself a gift! :) That's cool B) but I'd rather have other people give me the gifts! :)

I don't mind the new updated smaller link.

(it could occur that some popular person would end up with a century of gifted membership)
When I die, can I transfer the left over years to my kids?

That would be funny.. :rolleyes:

When I die, can I transfer the left over years to my kids?

That would be funny.. :rolleyes:

I believe it would become part of the estate. How'd you like to be the Executor that ran into that one. Hmm... Can an account be transferred in a divorce? Do they split the finds and DNFs? Oh no. What if one wants the money and the other wants the finds.......

P.S. It's now on my electronic Christmas list with a hotlink......

Edited by Cache O'Plenty

I don't have a problem with the link on my profile. However I will comment that I wont be using it since from what I can tell, the only option is the $30 annual membership. I'd be way more likely to gift a $3 membership before I gift a $30 annual.

I agree. A bunch of $3 Gift Certificates would make nice FTF prizes for 10 caches, one $30 is sorta lot, and would be for one cache only.

I don't have a problem with the link on my profile. However I will comment that I wont be using it since from what I can tell, the only option is the $30 annual membership. I'd be way more likely to gift a $3 membership before I gift a $30 annual.

I agree. A bunch of $3 Gift Certificates would make nice FTF prizes for 10 caches, one $30 is sorta lot, and would be for one cache only.

My understanding is that anyone that was on a $3 per month plan can continue their Premium Membership at that rate. However, new upgrades to Premium Membership are now limited to $30 per year or $10 for three months. The $3 plan is no longer available.

You know this is one of those instances that I wish I had a large disposable income. Because I would have given a gift membership to everyone who complained. That would show them!!! :rolleyes:
You should just show me instead. Make an example out of me and I'll tell the others how ashamed I am!
This is ridiculous. Noone, who doesn't have an account can see my profile page.

I'd like this link removed to a different place.

If my friends and relations, who mostly are non cachers, are supposed to get me an gift certificate, should they ever wish to do so, they certainly won't be doing that by using the link on my profile, which they can't see, as they don't have an account.

It was possible to get an upgrade for other cachers before, my first year subscription was gifted to me by a caching friend. She managed to get me an upgrade without this link. Wonder how on earth she managed that!

As I stated in an earlier post, gift memberships can also be purchased elsewhere on the site. Purchasing them from the profile link is easier, however. As a member, I appreciate the fact that they made it easier for those of us who occasionally gift memberships.
The link has been altered, thank you, but I'm not really satisfied with this reply I got from geocaching.com General Inquiries:
Thanks for your feedback..

When we offer new features on Geocaching.com we announce them in the Groundspeak Forums in the Groundspeak Web section. Here's a link to the details of the launch:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=211990

There's some good responses in there on how to update the profile so it isn't so prominent. This has been an often requested feature for users - primarily friends and family so we plan to keep it, but we're taking suggestions on making it accessible but not so well highlighted.

Best Regards,

So please, where in this thread is the information on how to update my profile, so the link isn't so prominent. I must have missed this...
Please reread their reply. It never suggested that you would be granted the ability to alter the link. They merely stated that there was discussion as to how they could alter the look of everyone's profile pages.

I'm nearly certain that in the case of the thread that I posted earlier, TPTB did indeed revoke the PM status. I'm not sure that any monies were returned to the gifter. I don't see why they should be.

If I buy you a Starbucks card and you don't use it, I don't get my money back.

Edited by sbell111

Id like to state for the record that i dont have a problem with this in my profile.

But if its an often requested thing why not PUBLICISE it through the email channel.

I know of loads of geo cachers at work etc who never ever ever visit these forums and have no desire to, a few have become premium members after seeing my paperless caching kit and not through looking at the website.

The odd promotional email to those who have ticked the inform me box surely would benefit the web site ??

As others have said.

I'd love to be able to gift a $10/3 month membership, or a $3/1 month membership.

I'd also like to be able to do that over the phone to Groundspeak, and not have it be auto-renewing.

I'd love to be able to pay, over the phone, by check routing numbers, or credit card, on a one-time buy.

I'd love to be given an s-code whether it was paid for by PayPal or not so that my "gift" can be activated by whoever I give it to, whenever they want to activate it.

Edited by trainlove

I'm nearly certain that in the case of the thread that I posted earlier, TPTB did indeed revoke the PM status. I'm not sure that any monies were returned to the gifter. I don't see why they should be.

If I buy you a Starbucks card and you don't use it, I don't get my money back.

Thanks for your reply.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the idea of "giving a gift membership", In fact I think it's a great idea that can be used by caching buddies/family/friends in order for gc.com members who use pm features that they enjoy.

The only problem with the "give a gift membership" is that it allows anyone the change the status of any members account without their consent. Myself, I'm happy with my basic account, and don't use or need the features of a pm account, and as it's my account I have the right for it to remain that way.

All I'm asking for, is for the automatic upgrade option to be removed. The rest of it is a great idea that I'm sure wil be enjoyed by many members.

I've noticed that GSP have answered others questions, and would be grateful if they would answer mine? (even though I'm a basic member :rolleyes: )

THANK YOU for the improvements to the bookmark list functionality. The site now "remembers" that I always like to view 50 results per page. Since the update, I haven't experienced the problem of getting "stuck" on page one.

THANK YOU for re-opening the back door for regular members to log finds on premium member only caches.

Great little update!

My understanding is that anyone that was on a $3 per month plan can continue their Premium Membership at that rate. However, new upgrades to Premium Membership are now limited to $30 per year or $10 for three months. The $3 plan is no longer available.

Thanks for re-stating the current membership plans. :angry: What I'm saying is that by eliminating the $3 membership and forcing the gift membership to be $30, they have eliminated my interest in spending money on those gifts. I'd much rather buy (10) $3 memberships (book of 10?) then (1) $30 membership.

THANK YOU for the improvements to the bookmark list functionality. The site now "remembers" that I always like to view 50 results per page. Since the update, I haven't experienced the problem of getting "stuck" on page one.

THANK YOU for re-opening the back door for regular members to log finds on premium member only caches.

Great little update!

I wonder why they nate left this stuff out of the post of the update. :angry: Glad you pointed out there was update's to the bookmark's. I on my way now to check my bookmark list's out. :D

Thanks for the update's on that stuff. :D

Edited by Parabola

Thanks for your reply.

Please don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to the idea of "giving a gift membership", In fact I think it's a great idea that can be used by caching buddies/family/friends in order for gc.com members who use pm features that they enjoy.

The only problem with the "give a gift membership" is that it allows anyone the change the status of any members account without their consent. Myself, I'm happy with my basic account, and don't use or need the features of a pm account, and as it's my account I have the right for it to remain that way.

All I'm asking for, is for the automatic upgrade option to be removed. The rest of it is a great idea that I'm sure wil be enjoyed by many members.

I've noticed that GSP have answered others questions, and would be grateful if they would answer mine? (even though I'm a basic member :angry: )

im so glad someone has said this, i was going to say similar myself but you did it first jacobite.

It's funny how people sometimes think that things belong to them simply because their name is on it. The fact that you're not a paying member tells me that you're not contributing to the site's funds, so who is paying for "your" profile?? The profile was made using software that Groundspeak developed, it resides on servers that Groundspeak paid for and maintains, it's used to keep up with the logs that you created on Groundspeak listed cache pages, etc. But you seem to think the profile belongs to you and they should respect that.

You also are under the impression that you have the "right" for your account to remain free of the PM status. Is this a basic human right that we all share? Is this right protected by the US Constitution? I'm curious why you think that you have rights to control a profile that you don't own, which not only have you refused to support with your own money but you're also trying to talk Groundspeak into refusing to accept any money in order to keep providing you the profile for free?

You are confusing membership with premium membership. You are a member yourself, and you have to be a member of geocaching.com to be logged in (the free membership is enough, you don't need to be a premium member). Non-members have no login and cannot see profile pages

I think that all of the confusion is understandable, given how this "gift" link looks on the profile of a basic member:

8a8d136e-073c-4578-9711-c62431f2226f.jpg

I could easily see someone looking that that and saying "Why should a buy a gift membership for someone who is already a member?" not realizing that, in this case, "Member" means "Basic Member", while "Membership" means "Premium Membership". It's really not very clear (on this page) that those are two very different things.

I think that all of the confusion is understandable, given how this "gift" link looks on the profile of a basic member:

8a8d136e-073c-4578-9711-c62431f2226f.jpg

I could easily see someone looking that that and saying "Why should a buy a gift membership for someone who is already a member?" not realizing that, in this case, "Member" means "Basic Member", while "Membership" means "Premium Membership". It's really not very clear (on this page) that those are two very different things.

Perhaps this phrasing would be less confusing?

"give a gift membership or membership extension"