I need a new watch...

Hi there guys (and gals of course!)!

My old watch died some time ago and I'm considering buying a new one. Being a gadget freak and an addicted cacher I was thinking of buying a watch with built-in gps receiver. I've been looking at the Garmin Forerunner 405 HR which costs around $360 here in Sweden and also the GlobalSat GH-615M for about $195.

I will use the watch primarily for seeing what time it is and seconday as a lightweight gpsr that's "always there". I know both models have heart rate monitors which adds some extra $$ on the price but as I said I'm a gadget freak... :laughing: I already have a GPSMap 60 CSx and a eTrex Legend Cx so for the real caching missions I use those (read the 60 CSx) units but since a good watch will come with a price anyway why not get one with a gps?!

I wonder if anyone has experience of using any of these little fellas, both for daily use and for softcore caching, especially the cheaper GlobalSat model. It would be nice to at least download some caches from the computer to the watch, perhaps not directly from the cache page but maybe in a .loc file.

Cheers,

Viktor - SWE_Bridgeman

I own a forerunner 405 hr, which I use only for running/biking, so I can't speak to it's use geocaching. However, in my opinion, the touch bezel interface of the 405 needs work. It frequently misses touches and it is difficult to get it to register the difference between a swipe vs a tap. The forerunner 305 I had was much easier to use.

My 405 does get a gps lock fairly quickly, a bit quicker than my 305 did. Both perform well under some tree cover, such as running in a park. Dense canopies are out though.

The 405 has been very frustrating. As far as I am concerned, it's only advantage over previous models is size, and has the disadvantage of a smaller display and worse interface. Since I don't wear it often as a normal watch, I don't care much about the size. If you do wear it as a watch, you will need to turn the gps off, otherwise, it will need to be charged at least once a day.

OK, this is way OT from what you asked. I just think this is cool. So, if you don't need GPS in your watch, but think your watch should scream "NERD!" like a GPS watch does, there's this:

http://calcwatch.com/index.html

And the added benefit of having to make it yourself from a kit, and can't get it wet, makes it thoroughly unusable for geocaching adventures. But it's so darn geeky-cool, who cares...

I recently bought the Forerunner 405 with heart monitor and use it primarily for running/biking. I do wear it every day and the battery will last two weeks without the gps turned on. I do not think it would be effective for caching. But, you can save locations and navigate to them. A navigation screen points in the direction you should travel.

I actually love the wireless data transfer and it is great for tracking workouts. The bezel also works well for me.

The size is great, but you watch band only fits average or small wrists.

<snip> The bezel also works well for me.

The size is great, but you watch band only fits average or small wrists.

Hmmm... maybe I should contact Garmin about exchanging mine. Perhaps, I have a bad bezel.

I agree, the size is great. You're right about the wrist size point. It's odd, my 305 came with and extra (larger) band, but the 405 didn't.

If the bezel on mine worked properly, I'd consider it a great watch. Definitely doesn't scream geek watch the way the earlier forerunner's did.

OK, this is way OT from what you asked. I just think this is cool. So, if you don't need GPS in your watch, but think your watch should scream "NERD!" like a GPS watch does, there's this:

http://calcwatch.com/index.html

And the added benefit of having to make it yourself from a kit, and can't get it wet, makes it thoroughly unusable for geocaching adventures. But it's so darn geeky-cool, who cares...

:angry:

Now that really is a nerdish watch!

Maybe I just keep on going without a watch and look at my cell phone whenever I need to know what time it is. Also, I've been doing fine just bringing my good ol' 60 CSx wherever I go for the last year so it seems for now I continue doing that. It's not that I'm in a desperate need of a watch even without gps and cardio functions, I just thought it was another geeky cool gadget.. I'll keep looking for other peoples opinions of these watches. Thanks guys for sharing your thoughts!

Edited by SWE_Bridgeman

Just get the forerunner 305 on amazon. HR monitor and GPS, you can't lose. I've been using mine for geocaching for a few months now and its great having the unit on your wrist, freeing up your hands. Just go to navigate>mark location and edit the coordinates to match the cache you are looking for. Then just use the compass to guide you to the cache. I love my 305. Plus its a lot cheaper. Maybe not the best everyday watch tho, in terms of style. My 2 cents.

Edited by smokebomb