My Son the Geocacher

Iamdoc

My son wants to try Geocaching but he has a history of losing interest so I want to get him a GPS to get started but I don't want to spend $300+ on a unit until I'm convinced he's going to stick with it. My question is basically what kind of $ am I looking at to set him up with the basics? If it matters, he will be Geocaching in the Southern Illinois / Eastern Missouri area.

Thank you VERY MUCH!

I don't know if it is still available, but I was geocaching with an Garmin Gecko 201 since 2004. I did not too many caches since then, but the device got also used for different purposes. The Gecko was cheap, robust and shiny yellow. Easier to find in grass and between leaves.

Since xmas, I got a new one, with a map display... ;-)

Hey! I'm right in your area... I think anyway. At any rate, how old is your son? Could he chache on his own, or would you be going with him? Back when I started in September, I did it purely without a GPS at all. Then I got my husband to agree to a Garmin GPS 80, mine's the military version. Simple, hand-held and on sale when I got it for about 50 dollars. It works like a charm, no bells, no whistles, just a pointy arrow. My son is only 7, but he wants to cache along with me, and it's perfect.

Edited by Butterfly Fox

Hey! I'm right in your area... I think anyway. At any rate, how old is your son? Could he chache on his own, or would you be going with him? Back when I started in September, I did it purely without a GPS at all. Then I got my husband to agree to a Garmin GPS 80, mine's the military version. Simple, hand-held and on sale when I got it for about 50 dollars. It works like a charm, no bells, no whistles, just a pointy arrow. My son is only 7, but he wants to cache along with me, and it's perfect.

He's 16 and I'm sure he'll go alone or with some buddies. Starting to think I may try this out as well (after it warms up). I was checking the caches in my area and it looks like there are a few natural treasures nearby that I wasn't aware of.

Thanks

Like StarBrand said, you should look at the Garmin Etrex H. the H means that it has a high sensitivity reciever. without it your son will lose his satellite and will get easily frustrated.

I went with the Garmin Etrex H. Thank You to everyone who answered.

This post can be removed.