Have you registered yet for the GCinOHIO GeoFest set for May 29-31, 2009 in Troy, OH?

Pinewood

I have a question to Pinewood and I am not trying to be a Smart A**;

Why would I want to Pre-Register for this event when yesterday (12/08/2008) you archived your GCinOHIO Christmas Gathering (GC1J72Z) due to not enough response?

Commentary:

If you (this goes for everyone on gc.com) wants to hold an event you do not archive for lack of response, you take the good with the bad. After the event you then decide if you want to hold it again next year. I have seen many events that people do not log the event page that they will attend and these events have been some of the best events and well attended. Events can be a long term commitment, especially group annual events like for your group and this Christmas Gathering.

This is the first event that I have ever cancelled and due to short - notice planning. It was not a good date for many people! The Geofest has ample planning time and will go on as planned.

Contacts are in effect.

As far as people not logging their plans to attend events & then showing up anyway might be fine for meet & greets, but play havoc with food orders etc, of bigger events.

Dear Fellow Cachers:

Have you registered yet for the GCinOHIO GeoFest set for May 29-31, 2009 in Troy, OH? Register your camping plans, place your t-shirt size, order your delicious BBQ dinner tickets and ensure your coin and pathtag plus other swag by signing up at http://www.gcinohiogeofest.org . Then be sure to log your intentions on Geocaching.Com (GC1JKHE)

Great prizes will be offered including a GRAND PRIZE of a Garmin Oregon GPS unit in a free event drawing! Paid registrants will have their name entered twice for this great raffle if registered before February 15, 2009!

Dear Fellow Cachers:

Have you registered yet for the GCinOHIO GeoFest set for May 29-31, 2009 in Troy, OH? Register your camping plans, place your t-shirt size, order your delicious BBQ dinner tickets and ensure your coin and pathtag plus other swag by signing up at http://www.gcinohiogeofest.org . Then be sure to log your intentions on Geocaching.Com (GC1JKHE)

Great prizes will be offered including a GRAND PRIZE of a Garmin Oregon GPS unit in a free event drawing! Paid registrants will have their name entered twice for this great raffle if registered before February 15, 2009!

Not sure why you bothered to start a thread about this, since everyone I know has gotten an email from you (via Groundspeak's messaging system) about it.

It sounds like a lot of people have some 'beef' with the OP and its confusing. I wasn't going to post and was just going to ignore the petty jabs, but its getting old.

The email thing...they didnt' send them every week, they didn't send 10 to each person, they admitted it was a mistake.....move on.

But the "just north" and "copy cat" comments make no sense to me. First of all, I live in ohio and the MWGB isn't JUST north of this....its ALOT north of it. I can easily get my husband to agree to a 1/2 hour drive for a geocache festival, but a 5 or 6 hr drive, its just not gonna happen. So I, for one, am glad that there is another event closer by to go to.

Now maybe its because I'm new when it comes to events, but I also don't see the 'copy cat' claim. Its a geocaching festival. One is alien themed. One looks old west themed. The websites look vastly different. Now, maybe MWGB had an alien theme last year and I just didn't know.

I go to many Pagan festivals each year. Many of them have the same workshops and events being held at the festival....not because they're copycatting but because the nature of a Pagan festival means there will be magickal workshops, a huge bonfire and some rituals.

The nature of geocaching means that any geocaching festival would have geocaching workshops, vendors of a geocaching nature, GPS workshops, some entertainment and probably some local geocaching going on. It's not copycatting....its the nature of any geocaching camping festival. There are no toes being stepped on.

Now if both were being held on the same weekend, then there would be direct competition and thus, some shoddy ethics, but these events aren't even in the same town, the same month or anywhere close to each other.

I am glad that there are more choices since I could not go to the MWGB. Its not a question of who's festival is better. It's not a territory to pee around and mark. Multiple events enhance the game as a whole so lets all smile and have fun.

If you want to go to one and not the other, so be it. If you want to go to both, have at it. But don't get into a petty bashing of "my event is better than your event". There is enough time and distance between the two that it doesn't need to be a peeing contest.

Edited by Firespinner

It sounds like a lot of people have some 'beef' with the OP and its confusing. I wasn't going to post and was just going to ignore the petty jabs, but its getting old.

The email thing...they didnt' send them every week, they didn't send 10 to each person, they admitted it was a mistake.....move on.

But the "just north" and "copy cat" comments make no sense to me. First of all, I live in ohio and the MWGB isn't JUST north of this....its ALOT north of it. I can easily get my husband to agree to a 1/2 hour drive for a geocache festival, but a 5 or 6 hr drive, its just not gonna happen. So I, for one, am glad that there is another event closer by to go to.

Now maybe its because I'm new when it comes to events, but I also don't see the 'copy cat' claim. Its a geocaching festival. One is alien themed. One looks old west themed. The websites look vastly different. Now, maybe MWGB had an alien theme last year and I just didn't know.

I go to many Pagan festivals each year. Many of them have the same workshops and events being held at the festival....not because they're copycatting but because the nature of a Pagan festival means there will be magickal workshops, a huge bonfire and some rituals.

The nature of geocaching means that any geocaching festival would have geocaching workshops, vendors of a geocaching nature, GPS workshops, some entertainment and probably some local geocaching going on. It's not copycatting....its the nature of any geocaching camping festival. There are no toes being stepped on.

Now if both were being held on the same weekend, then there would be direct competition and thus, some shoddy ethics, but these events aren't even in the same town, the same month or anywhere close to each other.

I am glad that there are more choices since I could not go to the MWGB. Its not a question of who's festival is better. It's not a territory to pee around and mark. Multiple events enhance the game as a whole so lets all smile and have fun.

If you want to go to one and not the other, so be it. If you want to go to both, have at it. But don't get into a petty bashing of "my event is better than your event". There is enough time and distance between the two that it doesn't need to be a peeing contest.

Well, I was refraining from posting now, but since you don't have any of the facts, I'll help clear a few up.

When GCinOhio launched this event/website, it was 100% a copy of Midwest Geobash. Ideals, activities, games, website programming, rules, policies, and EVERY single thing that Midwest Geobash did in 2008. Some slight "word" change in titles where MWGB had a Flea Market and GCOhio was going to have an Alien Swap. Sure events are going to have similiar things to do because it's all geocaching related.

BUT, 100% of the MWGB content was stolen and used for their own devices. After we (MWGB) sent him repeated notes about stealing intellectual content, he closed down the website, and made some slight modifications. Then reopened it. It's still very similar, but we've steered clear of any further futile discussion of it. And let it run its meager course.

However, please get some knowledge before letting people know they're wrong in their posts :D If you wanna know where the copy cat stuff comes from, email us at info@mwgb.org and we'll be happy to send you the .pdfs of the old site that was stolen from us :D

Pete

Midwest Geocaching Foudation

Co-Chair of Midwest Geobash

FYI, he's also spamming other demographics outside of geocaching.com and violating other terms of service. I've received emails about GCOhio in my private dealings that are non-geocaching related, and have also turned him in there.

Copyright and spamming issues aside, it feels like a lot of posturing on both sides to me.

Aren't events supposed to be fun for both the organizers and participants? Why not let people have fun when and where they want to have fun rather than try to make up the minds of others?